Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:32:20 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773220
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 606
Total: 609

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: SWITCHED TO TRUVADA - CAN'T SLEEP  (Read 11358 times)

Offline boomer

SWITCHED TO TRUVADA - CAN'T SLEEP
« on: February 18, 2010, 10:19:00 am »
I recently switched from Epzicom to Truvada (with Lexiva and Norvir) because I was having chronic fatigue issues. While the switch did resolve the fatigue, I cannot sleep at all. I have been in therapy and can eliminate any emotional or mental issues. I have always been a sound sleeper and this is beginning to get serious. Has anyone had sleep issues with Truvada? My doc gave me (generic) Ambian but it only works for a few hours and I understand I will build a tolerance to it.

Thanks,
Boomer

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
Re: SWITCHED TO TRUVADA - CAN'T SLEEP
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 10:25:37 am »
When I started Isentress/Truvada the pharmacist mentioned to me that some people have sleep issues with Truvada. I seem to remember starting a thread on here asking about it and nobody had experienced that. It's probably one of those side effects that very few people actually experience.

Having said that, it was recommended that I take the Truvada as part of my morning dose, which I did in order to avoid possible sleep issues.

Can you just take your meds in the morning? What else are you taking?

Offline boomer

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 10:37:36 am »
Hi Inch,

I was taking Lexiva, Norvir, Truvada, Crestor and Centrum at night and Testim, Levothyroxine and Zoloft in the morning. After consulting the doc re sleep he suggested I take all in the morning. It  has been several weeks that I do take all in the AM with no change. My doc then  prescribed the Ambien at my request last week and as I reported it provides little help. I may have to switch again.

Thanks,
Boomer

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 10:42:50 am »
boomer, my partner takes his truvada in the morning - I'm not sure if it was keeping him up, (we weren't together when he started it) but he definitely said it makes him groggy in the morning if he takes it at night. Could be a sleep issue. If you take it at night, try switching to the morning. Give it a week or so and if that doesn't fix it, maybe it's time for a chat with your doc about another change.

Ah, you posted while I was typing. Sounds like time for that chat. Good luck! I had insomnia for a year while on interferon/ribaviron (for hep C) and it really, really sucked.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 10:45:32 am »
Are you saying your sleep issues started when you added Truvada to your regimen and before that you did not have sleep issues? If you're taking them all in the morning I would doubt that your sleep issues are due to Truvada.

Sometimes it takes a night or two of just not sleeping well and then you get tired enough to fall asleep normally after that (as long as no naps are taken during that time). I know it can be frustrating though.

Offline boomer

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 10:46:48 am »
Thanks Ann, yes it does suck, especially if you never had a sleep problem.

I never asked my doc but if you switch off a drug can you go back at a later date?

Thanks,
Boomer

Offline boomer

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 10:51:41 am »
Yes Inch, my problem started immediately after the switch to Truvada. I am sure there are no other issues as I am feeling physically and emotionally well. It's ironic that I made the change to remedy chronic fatigue! I will speak to the doc but I will not rush into anything just to make sure it doesn't improve over the short term.

Thanks,
Boomer

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 10:52:43 am »
If you switch off a drug to go directly onto another drug, resistance isn't normally a problem and the drug can be used at a later date.

Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 11:11:44 am »

LOL...

I have to laugh at myself on this.  I just switched from Atripla to Truvada because I was having sleep issues due to the Atripla.  I sleep really well now, but it feels like I cannot get enough of it.  I just switched two weeks ago, so I am going to give it a little while longer to see if the side effects go away.

I hope you get some relief from this, please keep us posted on what solution you find.

Good luck!
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 11:30:28 am »

LOL...

I have to laugh at myself on this.  I just switched from Atripla to Truvada because I was having sleep issues due to the Atripla.  I sleep really well now, but it feels like I cannot get enough of it.  I just switched two weeks ago, so I am going to give it a little while longer to see if the side effects go away.

I hope you get some relief from this, please keep us posted on what solution you find.

Good luck!

But skeebo, you switched because of the efavirenz (Sustiva) portion of Atripla was the culprit.  You were always on Truvada, since Truvada is in Atripla.

Do you take your meds in the morning?

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 11:51:22 am »
But skeebo, you switched because of the efavirenz (Sustiva) portion of Atripla was the culprit.  You were always on Truvada, since Truvada is in Atripla.

Do you take your meds in the morning?

In the evening..  and you're right about the meds, don't know what I was thinking.  Guess the morning java has not kicked in yet.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2010, 02:39:31 pm »
There are other sleeping drugs than ambien.  Ask your doctor to attend to your needs with dedication.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Tempeboy

• Like St Francis of Assisi I am wedded to Poverty
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2010, 07:32:39 am »
Hey Boomer,

People respond individually to treatments, and if your new combo coincided with your sleep problems it may be the culprit.

Are you taking any other medications? I note that you are taking ritonavir - that can boost a range of other medications, HIV and others.

Are you taking, or have you recently started taking supplements - ritonavir can boost St Johns wort and cause sleeplessness.  Check this out - http://www.hiv-druginteractions.org/frames.asp?drug/drg_main.asp

There are many other treatments to choose from.  In the mean time you could try to avoid caffiene, try camomile tea and use the sleeping tablets in the short term - you will need to check with your doc - can you see her/him soon?

All the best.
Roughly roundabout somewhere in the eighteenth or nineteenth century, Sodomite begat Homosexual out of moral, medical and legal models, bequeathing him Identity, who inbred with Nuclear Family and Industrialism to spawn Homophobia.

Dean Kiley

Offline boomer

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2010, 12:16:10 pm »
Hey Tempeboy,

Thanks for the response.

The Truvada is the only change in a long time. I previously listed all the other meds I take. The only supplement is Centrum multivitamin.

I am traveling until the end of the month so until then I am using the Ambian, staying out of bed until I am really ready to sleep, avoiding caffeine after the AM, etc.

The drug interaction link was a little confusing, I prefer the AidsMeds drug interaction site better.

Boomer

Offline ad2san

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2010, 04:00:24 pm »
Hi Boomer,

I am since May 09 on TVD + ATV/r (first therapy), taken with breakfast around 9:00 am.
I do know your problem very well. Fall asleep at 11 pm,  wake up at 1 am and can't fall asleep before 4 am or something like this ?
I did a lot of experiment : any kind of OTC drugs, teas, melatonin ... no result.
TCA made it worst.
Ambien: I have the same problem as you wrote, can fall asleep but won't last.
I thought I was getting crazy, my partner as well. It also destroyed our sex life by the way ...
At this time I am with lunesta 7,5 mg (1/2 before going to sleep). This is the only solution. I get a good night sleep and dream a lot. I don't take it on week ends since I can sleep in the morning a little bit (otherwise I wake up at 6:00 am to go to the gym before going to the office).
As Newt mentioned it once the effect of Truvada passes/lessen .... I noticed it true for permanent need to wee; sleep is also getting a little bit better .... but anytime I tried to stop lunesta I had bad suprises (the very day or a couple of days later).

Hold on ...

Cheers
Feb   2009 CD4 358 VL 2000 16%
May  2009 CD4 305 VL 3069  14% <---- Started TVD+ATZ/r
Jul  2009 CD4 512 VL <50   18%
Jul 2010 CD4 418 VL <50 24%                     
Switched to Kivexa (Epzicom) + Norvir + Reyataz (due to sleep problem)
Aug 2010 CD4 606 VL <50 25%
Jul 2011 CD4 494 UD 23%
Switched to Kivexa (Epzicom) + Viramune XR (due to kidney problems)
January 2012 CD4 564 UD 31%
January 2013 CD4 594 UD 26%
Switched to Kivexa (Epzicom) + Isentress due to BIG increase GammaGT
Feb 2013 CD4 699 UD 28%
Aug 2014 CD4 639 UD 25%
Switched January 2015 to Triumeq
May 2015 CD4 807 UD 31%
Switched Nov 2016 to Genvoya due to gastric problems
November 2016 CD4 847 UD 32%

Offline boomer

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2010, 05:58:51 pm »
Hi Ad2san,

What is TCA?

Your experience is very similar to mine. I fall asleep for a couple of hours (I think), wake and can't get back until after daybreak. Some nights I swear I don't  sleep at all. It feels very surreal. No problem with the sex life, sorry for you about that! On my return I am going to request an Rx for Lunesta. Thank you for your comments.

Boomer

Offline ad2san

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2010, 03:08:27 am »
Hi Boomer,

TCA = Tricyclic antidepressants (Elavil in that particular case, was supposed to make me sleepy).
Well, concerning sex life, the point is being so totally exhausted going to bed that you want just one: SLEEP.
I have never been an afternoon guy  :(  But since I take Lunesta regulary it is going better.

Take care
Jul 2011 CD4 494 UD 23%
Feb 2013 CD4 699 UD 28%
Aug 2014 CD4 639 UD 25%
May 2015 CD4 807 UD 31%

Offline Okealyshire

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2010, 11:31:48 pm »
At this time I am with lunesta 7,5 mg (1/2 before going to sleep). This is the only solution.

Wow, are you really taking 7.5 mg Lunesta every night? That's a pretty high dose. Usual prescriptions are for 1, 2 or 3 mg.

I used to be on 3 mg Lunesta. One time I took my nightly dose, got distracted by something, forgot what I did, took another dose -- and only then remembered I already did. With that 6 mg dose I slept for 12 hours and felt groggy all the next day.

Offline ad2san

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2010, 03:47:40 am »
Hi Okealyshire,

Here is Lunesta generic sold in 3mg and 7,5mg. I take half a 7,5mg because it is cheaper  ;D
I kinda guess I would be knocked out with 7,5 ...

Jul 2011 CD4 494 UD 23%
Feb 2013 CD4 699 UD 28%
Aug 2014 CD4 639 UD 25%
May 2015 CD4 807 UD 31%

Offline Okealyshire

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2010, 12:30:06 pm »
Here is Lunesta generic sold in 3mg and 7,5mg

Out of curiosity, where do you live? I wasn't aware that Lunesta is available anywhere in generic form. Do you know the generic name of the drug you're taking? Lunesta is eszopiclone, a derivative of an older hypnotic called zopiclone. Zopiclone is indeed available in 7.5 mg doses.

Offline ad2san

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2010, 12:36:55 pm »
well guessed  :) ... I live in europe and Lunesta is not available. I am indeed taking Zopiclone as a generic.
Jul 2011 CD4 494 UD 23%
Feb 2013 CD4 699 UD 28%
Aug 2014 CD4 639 UD 25%
May 2015 CD4 807 UD 31%

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.