Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:58:26 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 360
Total: 361

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Condom Slip Uk, ARS?  (Read 21879 times)

Offline Isthishiv?

Condom Slip Uk, ARS?
« on: November 27, 2007, 10:35:37 am »
Hello all,

Three weeks ago i met a girl in a bar who i didnt know, we ended up having drunken protected sex after. Right at the end the condom slipped off and i didnt notice untill pulled out and to my horror i was not protected. I looked inside and there was cum inside the condom so i could not have been inside her long unprotected, i was erect when i pulled out so my head was exposed. Three weeks after and im suffering from flu like symptoms of sore armpits and groin, and also stiff neck and headaches. i have also been waking up in cold sweats through the night. i have not had any rash though or fever. these symptoms have lasted for ten days now and im really worried it could be ARS. Does this sound like ARS to you guys? And do you think the risk presents a big worry?

Many thanks,

James

Offline Isthishiv?

Re: Condom Slip Uk, ARS?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 11:59:50 am »
can anybody help?

James:((

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 04:39:53 pm »
ith,

If you were able to look inside the condom and discover cum, then I'm assuming the condom was hanging out of her and not pushed up inside. What this means is that the condom came off as you withdrew and you weren't at risk. You need to hold on to the base of the condom whenever you remove your penis from another person's body, otherwise you risk leaving it behind and scaring yourself silly.

You had protected intercourse and you did not have a risk.

Please read the Welcome Thread for more information on hiv transmission.

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex with a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through all three condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Although you don't need to test over this specific incident, anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Isthishiv?

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 01:03:46 am »
the condom stayed inside her, i definatly was exposed but for a short amount of time, im having like a constant weak feeling with stiff neck and aching muscles.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 07:13:36 am »
ith,

It's highly unlikely that you were infected through this very brief incident. You're more likely to walk outside your door and find a multi-million winning lottery ticket lying in the gutter. However, if you feel you've been at risk then you need to test at three months past this encounter.

As a sexually active adult, you should be having regular, routine sexual health care check ups anyway. You were far more likely to end up with something like chlamydia from this brief encounter, so you might want to get an STD panel at around two weeks.

Your symptoms are meaningless when it comes to hiv. And think about it, you're stressed out and you have a stiff neck and aching muscles? Relax and get someone to rub your shoulders for you. If you continue to feel unwell, see your doctor.

I'm fully expecting you to test hiv negative.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Isthishiv?

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2007, 07:32:48 am »
thanks ann,

i have took an elisa test today at 26 days based on the thought that if this is seroconversion i would be producing antibodys now, also a result after 26 days will give me a bit of peace of mind one way or another:) i will be getting the results tomorrow, i hope to god its negative:) The doctor also told me it was highly unlikely to catch it like this, but it dosent stop you thinking that you might be that one:(, do you know of any incidences of someone catching hiv from a condom falling off during sex?

this is a scary time:(

james

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2007, 07:52:29 am »
James,

I've yet to see a poster in these forums (since 2001) test positive after a slipped or broken condom when they were the insertive partner. I really do not expect you to be the first.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Isthishiv?

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2007, 07:56:59 am »
thanks for your kind words ann, fingers crossed for the result tomorrow, i know its not conclusive but at least it will dispel any fears i have about this illness i have at the moment being seroconversion. because if i was going through seroconversion it would show antibodys. thanks for yor help, iwill post back with my result tomorrow, all i can do now is pray.

James

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2007, 08:11:28 am »
James,

The vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by six weeks, with the average time to seroconversion being only 22 days.

I still don't expect anything other than a negative result. Now get off the internet and go do something useful and productive with your time instead of scaring yourself silly with all things hiv.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Isthishiv?

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2007, 02:01:08 pm »
hi all,

I got a negative at 4 weeks on the elisa test, is that a good indication?? I have been suffering with cronic stiff neck and stomuch ache and sore groin area and cronic fatigue:( I hope this test was a indication:)

James

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2007, 03:05:37 pm »
James,

Yes, your negative result is a good indication and I don't expect it to change.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Isthishiv?

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2007, 03:37:36 pm »
Thanks ann, your kind words have got me through a very dark time, Its frightening when you just dont know. In the last week i have been activly looking at all the advances and avenues for new meds to keep my hope up just incase. And whatever the outcome i will never forget the support that you guys give on here.

James

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2007, 04:30:37 pm »
Like Ann, I expect you will continue to test negative if you decide to test again. That's strictly up to you of course since I don't see this incident as having been risky.

In the meantime I suggest staying off of the net as browing there is only going to fuel your fears without giving you any conclusive answer.

Andy Velez

Offline Isthishiv?

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2007, 04:34:33 pm »
ok andy thanks, i definatly was exposed for a period of time, maybe 30 sec max. i dont know how risky that is but it scared the hell out of me:(

james

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2007, 04:59:55 pm »
Yes, I see you were briefly without a condom. Taking into consideration that it was very brief, and one-time only exposure and you already have a negative test result, I expect you will continue to test negative.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline Isthishiv?

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2007, 05:17:09 pm »
i hope so andy:) i dont know if i will have another test, i probably will just to put my mind at ease. probably at the three month mark. thanks for all your help and support:)

James

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2007, 05:27:23 pm »
The wise thing would be to remove any doubts and get tested at 13 weeks. You don't want to be living with that shadow of "wondering" hanging over you.
Andy Velez

Offline Isthishiv?

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2007, 03:48:50 am »
ok andy i will do that. if i was seroconverting would my body be producing antibodys? i have had this dredfull muscle aches and general tiredness feeling for 7-10 days now. If i was seroconverting would you expect that to show on an elisa test? my fear really is attributed to this illness i have within the 2-6 week window.

Thanks,

james

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2007, 09:54:37 am »
There is absolutely nothing even remotely HIV specific about the symptoms which are concerning you. And the non-specificity of symptoms is exactly why they ought never to be taken as an indication of HIV status. Only an HIV test done at the proper time will give you a reliable answer.

And I still expect you to test negative. Discuss your symptoms with your doctor if they persist.
Andy Velez

Offline Isthishiv?

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2007, 10:01:53 am »
thanks Andy:)

Offline Isthishiv?

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2007, 06:46:14 am »
hi all,

I still have aching muscles in my legs and groin area, im hoing insane with worry and i feel like my hole world is shutting down. I have never had a illness last this long and i feel helpless to stop it:((

James

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2007, 06:48:44 am »
See a doctor if you have a concern.

Offline Isthishiv?

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2007, 06:50:55 am »
my concern is that i have hiv rapid, its making me feel so ill

Offline Isthishiv?

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2007, 07:32:42 am »
im scared, the lady that gave me my results said that my test was usless because it was done only after one month, so im back in this hell again, i fear the worst:(

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2007, 09:30:15 am »
is,

Look mate, you're more likely to walk outside your house and find a few-million pound winning Lotto ticket lying in the gutter than you are to have become infected from this encounter. For a start, you wore a condom. It slipped off toward the end - quite possibly (and most likely) when you withdrew. This is not a situation where there is great cause for alarm and I certainly do not expect a positive result.

If you feel ill, go see a doctor. There are an awful lot of cold and flu viruses around right now - I had a mild one at the end of last week.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Isthishiv?

« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2007, 07:20:29 am »
ann with ars and swollen glands are they sore and achy? the tops of my legs and groin and lower back i have constant aches. is this a symptom?

James

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2007, 07:32:32 am »
No, it's not a symptom.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2007, 07:32:56 am »
James,

You've been reading this forum for long enough now to realise that we do NOT discuss symptoms in the context of hiv infection. It would be totally meaningless for us to do so because hiv has NO specific symptoms - and many people have NO symptoms whatsoever, but yet have been infected.

If your glands are bothering you, see your doctor. Swollen glands are a sign of infection in the body, ANY infection. If the ones in your groin are bothering you, then perhaps you need to test for the other STIs like chlamydia and gonorrhea, ones that you were MUCH more likely to pick up from this mostly-protected encounter.

I really don't see this as an hiv situation. Seriously. Chill out.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Isthishiv?

« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2007, 07:50:45 am »
thanks for the reply, you guys. its a horrible time when you have these problems and you just dont know.

james

Offline Isthishiv?

« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2007, 09:40:17 am »
hi again, i woke up this morning and felt so ill i went to my a and e department where they hit me with a barrarge of tests. They said that my glands was not swollen( but they feel sore) they said my globin was normal and my white cell count was normal, everything was normal. I told them of my fear for HIV and they phoned my consultant dealing with my test i took after 4 weeks. i was having these horrible symptoms from the middle of the second week after the incident. He said that he not only did an elisa test on me he did a p24 antigen test as well, he said if it was seroconversion that i was going through with this illlness i have it would have picked up an irregular maybe not positive reading but inconclusive. My reading was 100 percent neg on both tests. and he also said that he is sure as he can be that i dont have HIV. he also said that there would be a sign of an infection in my hemoglobin levels as well.

Should i take heart from this?

James

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2007, 09:58:23 am »
James, how about cutting out this orgy of worry and self-induced drama.

The doctor tells you that he's as sure as he can be that it's not HIV and you come back to us and ask if you should take heart from that. Hey! Get real!

Andy Velez

Offline Isthishiv?

« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2007, 10:10:49 am »
well i hold you guys in the samesort of knowledge bracket as the doctors, your definatly more knowledgeable than gp's

Offline Isthishiv?

« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2007, 01:00:18 pm »
ann do you think that what happened today can be taken as a further good sign? I really value your opinion because you all seem to know everything about the illness.

Thanks,

James

Offline Isthishiv?

« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2007, 01:10:46 pm »
i didnt know you was from the uk ann, im from london:) mind you when you called me mate it did seem very english:)

James

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2007, 01:51:53 pm »
James,

I've been telling you all along that it sounds to me like you lost the condom on withdrawal and had no risk. I'm not surprised your doctor thinks you're hiv negative - I do too. You were never likely to become infected from this encounter.

Ann

edited for two rather embarrassing spelling errors.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 02:29:35 pm by Ann »

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Isthishiv?

« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2007, 02:06:30 pm »
well i know i was definatly exposed when i pulled out. because the  condom stayed inside her. they said i dont really need to test after 3 months but i can if i wish for peace of mind. its funny when you have all these people telling you stuff and yet you still think you have it. thankks for your reply ann

Offline Isthishiv?

« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2007, 11:21:34 am »
can anyone tell me if a complete negative on a p24 antigen test and antibody test at 26 days is a strong indicator of hiv negativity? i found a website that put it a 99.8 percent negative. is this right?

James

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2007, 11:41:29 am »
A P24 is a good indicator but it is not a conclusive test, nor is it a stand alone test. I have to agree with Ann that you lost the condom on withdraw.

Offline Isthishiv?

« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2007, 12:32:02 pm »
i used it in conjunction with an antibody test. a DUO test. usually at the point of the p24 protien not being detectable the antibody is. the website said it was 99.8 conclusive when done in tandem with an antibody test. The condom was inside her and i was exposed at the end. maximum of 45 seconds.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2007, 12:57:20 pm »
How do you know you were exposed for 45 seconds? If you seen the condom hanging out you didn't lose it forty five seconds before you withdrew. You lost it because you didn't withdraw correctly.

Offline Isthishiv?

« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2007, 01:06:55 pm »
thats true, im not sure exactly the length of time i was exposed.... i know it wasnt long,and there was some contents at the bottom of the condom.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2007, 01:21:46 pm »
Next time hold on to the condom on withdraw and you want lose the condom. You didn't have a risk.

Offline Isthishiv?

« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2007, 01:43:53 pm »
i hope not, everything seems fuzzy when your drunk in relation to time and contents of the condom. i still fear it:(

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2007, 09:24:02 pm »
James,

Look mate, you're on the verge of being timed out here. Your chance of ending up hiv positeve from this encounter are about the same as my chances of becoming the Queen of England next week. Give it a rest.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Isthishiv?

« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2007, 04:11:59 am »
Ann im going for my 6 week test today and i should have the results this afternoon, if its a negative will i be able to draw a line under this encounter?

Thanks,

james

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2007, 05:41:53 am »
James,

As we don't think you had a risk in the first place, yes, draw that line when you get your negative result.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Isthishiv?

« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2007, 08:27:23 am »
hi all,

I got tested today 7 weeks after the incident, will this test be near conclusive? also that test i had done before was not an antigen test it was just an antibody test. I was told this today.... Which worried me more now as an antibody test is unlikely to be positive after 26 days.

james

Offline Isthishiv?

« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2007, 08:28:11 am »
i will get my results at 4 so im hoping for the best:)

James

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2007, 11:25:19 am »
No matter how worried you continue to be, you weren't at risk is what we keep telling you.

And yes, a negative at 7 weeks is very meaningful. Particularly in your case since it was not a risky incident.

Andy Velez

Offline Isthishiv?

« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2007, 12:22:58 pm »
hi andy,

I got given a negative result today at 7 weeks. Im so happy, Does this mean that im nearly out of the woods? Do you know the percentage of people that convert after 7 weeks? Also if this lymph gland soreness i have been experencing in my groin area for a month now was anything to do with seroconversion would i be producing detectable antibodys by now?

Once again thanks for all your help, you guys are so clued up with statistics and everything. My GP was struggling to answer my questions :)

James

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.