Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 04:23:50 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773193
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 325
Total: 325

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Suggestions for surgery  (Read 13299 times)

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
Suggestions for surgery
« on: April 11, 2012, 10:57:37 pm »
My partner wants to have surgery to remove the fat accumulation behind his neck, on his back and under his jaw. Does anyone have any experience with this type of surgery or have any recommendations?

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
Re: Suggestions for surgery
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 10:12:50 pm »
Hey Ford,

I think we must be on the same wave length or something. I was just thinking about this very subject today after being quizzed by a store clerk about the "growth" on the back of my neck.

I have no experience with this, but may if, as I believe, it is growing again.

Does your partner have lumps on the back of his neck/base of the skull? That and the front of my neck (below the jaw) seem to be on the increase again.

I know someone who did have this done, but it was done years ago.  I will do some research and see what I can come up with for your partner.

HUGS,

Mark
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 10:15:01 pm by aztecan »
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 01:35:24 am »
Mark, so sorry to hear about all this.  Do you think this is strictly from the older meds that you once took?  I would think if that were the case discontinuing them would stop the growth but they seem to be recurrent, right?  Has your doctor said anything about them?

Sorry to derail a bit Ford.

Offline GSOgymrat

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 10:06:44 pm »
Does your partner have lumps on the back of his neck/base of the skull?

He has a fat pad on the back on his neck, a hump across the top of his back, fat pads that run down the sides of his back and then a fat deposit below his jaw. He also has some abdominal fat.

Offline MitchMiller

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 01:56:03 am »
If you were on the west coast, I'd recommend Harvey Abrams.  He's experienced with both HIV patients and liposuction.  I've read that fat removal from under the neck is a very basic procedure that is done quite frequently to give one a youthful looking neckline.  Removal of abdominal fat (adipose) is also very common.  Don't think there would be any problems with any of these procedures.  However, if your bud is HIV+, might be difficult finding someone to do the surgery.  Abrams is gay and works with HIV+ patients so that's not a problem.
http://www.wilshireaesthetics.com/

NC can get really humid in the summer.  Might be a good excuse to buy a summer home in LA.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 01:57:42 am by MitchMiller »

Offline GSOgymrat

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 09:01:20 pm »
My partner is from Los Angeles and we are going to L.A. and Palm Springs in two weeks. We should see if Dr. Abrams is available for a consult so my partner can get an idea of what procedures are available, risks, benefits, cost, etc. Thanks for the info.

My partner is a flight attendant and we fly free so location is not an issue. I'm sure insurance is not going to pay for this so going to another country for treatment is a possibility.

Offline aztecan

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 07:45:52 pm »
Mark, so sorry to hear about all this.  Do you think this is strictly from the older meds that you once took?  I would think if that were the case discontinuing them would stop the growth but they seem to be recurrent, right?  Has your doctor said anything about them?

Sorry to derail a bit Ford.

Yes, it's from more than a decade of Crixivan and AZT, most likely. I too thought switching might help, but no luck.

He has a fat pad on the back on his neck, a hump across the top of his back, fat pads that run down the sides of his back and then a fat deposit below his jaw. He also has some abdominal fat.

I also have the fat at the front of my neck and the fat pad at the top of my back. The lumps on the back of my head actually don't feel like the fat pads, so, as I mentioned in another thread, it is possible they are not the same thing.

I also have the abdominal fat. I was doing crunches on a machine at the gym with 100 extra pounds of weight added to try to lessen the gut, but to no avail. I did manage to tear a muscle in my chest, though.

If you don't mind Ford, wouild you let me know what Dr. Abrams says?

HUGS,

Mark

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 08:49:33 pm »
Trey, I would assume it's like the other lipo condition -atrophy vs. hypertrophy. It's a cellular dysfunction issue of mitochondrial toxicity, so once the mitochondria is damaged in significant numbers it's permanent, or so it seems. Mitochondria has it's own DNA so I would assume once that's damaged that's why it doesn't go away.

I guess the question with surgery for this is whether that's only a temporary fix. Will fat continue to accumulate over the years due to this mitochondria damage?
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline GSOgymrat

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 09:49:09 am »
I guess the question with surgery for this is whether that's only a temporary fix. Will fat continue to accumulate over the years due to this mitochondria damage?

Dr. Abrams website says "Over 90% of HIV-positive patients treated by Dr. Abrams never regain their "Buffalo" Hump." Of course he is selling this service. My partner recently lost 20 lbs and it didn't seem to affect his hump very much.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 10:23:03 am »
My partner recently lost 20 lbs and it didn't seem to affect his hump very much.

Exactly -- I'm the reverse. If I gained 20 lbs. it wouldn't be distributed to my face and buttocks, it would only go to my belly.

If he's willing to go through the surgery then I think he should just try it.

You might try posting on PozHealth@yahoogroups.com about this -- it's a bunch of LTS'ers that are resourceful for things like this. Also email Nelson Vergel and he may be helpful. It's his name @gmail
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline aztecan

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 09:44:27 am »
Dr. Abrams website says "Over 90% of HIV-positive patients treated by Dr. Abrams never regain their "Buffalo" Hump." Of course he is selling this service. My partner recently lost 20 lbs and it didn't seem to affect his hump very much.

I remember Alan (Alanbama) stating once he had a friend who had the surgery, and it lasted for a while, but then the hump returned.

I also have tried losing weight. It did nothing for the humps and lumps, or the belly. I was doing crunchers with 100 pounds of additional weidght added to the machine to try to reduce the belly. I got great abs, but the belly remains beneath them.

HUGS,

Mark

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 09:00:53 pm »
I was doing crunchers with 100 pounds of additional weidght added to the machine to try to reduce the belly. I got great abs, but the belly remains beneath them.

HUGS,

Mark

Same here Mark  :-[  however I can still wear size 34 waist tho, I tried on a pair of 36 waist, but, I had to wear my belt on the last loop hole  ;D

I don't know why I still wear belts ( old habit I guess) but I still wear them, I have given up worrying about the way I look @ 55+ I look that way, and and I cannot change it....

so I accept it for what it is  ;) besides I have far more health problems to worry about than my waist-line  ;)

P.S. I do hope that little tid-bit I posted above will help to cheer you up some Mark  ;)
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline MitchMiller

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 12:37:05 am »
You'll have to let us know how it went if your partner goes to Dr Abrams.  Just a warning... this is LA and his office is on Wilshire Blvd, so he isn't the cheapest.  However, he seemed to charge me market rates on my silicone treatments.  Had three of them and they all turned out ok.  Charged me $600 each.  I believe he's raised that figure though more recently.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.