Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 10:03:29 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772787
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 210
Total: 211

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Great Response From AZ Republic Article  (Read 7995 times)

Offline Jeffreyj

Great Response From AZ Republic Article
« on: June 09, 2006, 05:19:24 am »
The response in the AZ Republic Article on June 5Th (http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/0605hivat25-0605.html) was overwhelmingly positive! The story ran on page one. The reporter called me on Tuesday, informing me that she was flooded with very positive emails from a variety of people. Most, she said, were from those who new someone who died of aids or had hiv. All were very appreciative for her article and seemed very pleased that the story shed some light on the hiv/aids issue.
    She also told me that One in Ten, a local gay youth group, had asked her if I would speak to help educate their group. I also received a job offer(wow that was a shock) and I also received several compliments from friends, and friends of friends who said they were touched by my story.
    I can't tell you how shocked and how pleased I was with the awesome response! I really did not expect it! So in short, I'm very happy I did the story. I could not have done it two years ago. I'm so happy I did it though. I know can move forward with less fear then I've ever had before.
    So for those of you who are "on the fence" about speaking out, you may want to do it! You too may be surprised at the response you get! While I encourage you all to do it, I fully understand if you do not. Do  whatever makes you happy.
    So thank you all for your support. I will continue to be more outspoken. I wore the t-shirt "We All Have Aids" to the Madonna concert tonight. The lady in line next to me asked me what it meant. I ended up having a ten minute conversation with her then she asked her daughter to join in. She thanked me for taking the time to talk to her about Aids! Have a great weekend everyone. I plan on having fun!
Love to you all,
Jeff

Positive since 1985

Offline David_CA

Re: Great Response From AZ Republic Article
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2006, 09:02:20 am »
Jeff,
It sure sounds like things are working out great for you!  Congrats on the positive responses from everybody.  I wish my hubby and I could go to the Madonna concert... I've heard it was really good.  Take care

David
Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2006, 09:18:55 am »
All were very appreciative for her article and seemed very pleased that the story shed some light on the hiv/aids issue.
    She also told me that One in Ten, a local gay youth group, had asked her if I would speak to help educate their group. I also received a job offer(wow that was a shock) and I also received several compliments from friends, and friends of friends who said they were touched by my story.
    I can't tell you how shocked and how pleased I was with the awesome response! I really did not expect it! So in short, I'm very happy I did the story. I could not have done it two years ago. I'm so happy I did it though. I know can move forward with less fear then I've ever had before.

Jeff that is superb. See? When you give, you get back, "plus more" ... Great going. I'm very happy for you and I'm inspired to hear all this. Thank you.

Alex

Offline Sdgirl

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2006, 09:33:57 am »
Jeff,

That is SO AWESOME!  Isn't always interesting when we do really scary stuff that we thought we could never do, positive things come out of it?  You are strong and brave and making a difference.

xoxo

Lisa
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.  Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.  It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us.  We ask ourselves.."Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?  Actually, who are you not to be?"

Offline Teresa

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2006, 09:55:53 am »
Jeff...that is so great that you have had such a positive response to your article. Im really happy for you!

Hugs
Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2006, 09:58:23 am »
Jeff

I can't tell you how pleased I am to hear about the positive support you've received from the article.  Thanks for sharing this additional part of the story with us.

RAB

(Who's faith in humanity has just gone up one notch!)

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2006, 10:01:48 am »
The more we speak out, the greater the understanding, the better the education, the less the stigma.

As I said before Jeff, GREAT JOB!  :D

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Markmt

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2006, 01:01:32 pm »
Hi Jeff, people like yourself and all the others that have opened up to the world surely make us all proud. Good article and Well done,

love to you,

mark
"Live to love and love to live."

Leo Buscaglia

Offline JohnOso

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2006, 03:10:35 pm »
Jeff,

So, so glad about the responses to your story!  What an incredible opportunity you have to educate people around your area. 

Take care,
John

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2006, 06:03:26 pm »
Jeff, very pleased to hear about the positive response.... openness usually leads to greater understanding....we all need to treat this infection like the germ that it really is and stop "hiding"  ... I hope the job offer was worth  something monetarily as well as  a huge pat on the back for a job well done..

Nick :)
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2006, 06:33:17 pm »
Hello Jeff,

Congratulations ! I am glad you are receiving this positive, energy feedback !

You go Guy--------Ray 8)
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2006, 07:11:43 pm »
Jeff,

I'm glad you got the reception you did.   It's very encouraging.   Congratulations.

Hugs,

Alan

PS - are you going to accept the job offer?
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline zephyr

• Zephyr L.T.N.P. Foundation, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2006, 07:35:41 pm »
Hi Jeff...

Congratulations on a terrific article!! It's so good to hear about the positive response from your community, you spoke from the heart, and obviously touched many, many people.

You deserve all the best.

In admiration,

Zephyr
"It is character that communicates most eloquently."

Offline heartforyou

• I must be a survivor in many ways...
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2006, 07:50:11 pm »
Jeff,

:-* :-* :-*
Hermie
Infected 1983. Diagnosed in 1987 and still kicking
Dovato once daily. Hydrea

Happiness is the freedom of breathing fresh air every day.

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2006, 09:46:05 pm »
Jeff...  (pauses for 2 min to figure out what to say)

Your life has touched me on a very personal level.  The writer really took the time to know you Jeff.  What a beautiful peice.  A peice of your life you probably could never have noticed forming around you as you moved through all these years.  The pain, the joy, the anguish in loss.  And here you are marking the passage of time till this present day.   People such as you Jeff give others such as me hope.  Knowing the realities of HIV/AIDS, knowing that the word "time" is not just a word.  That it can be broken down into moments in your life that can add up to a wonderful life full of meanings and growth.   You are a blessing to this world and thank you for allowing 100's of thousands of readers to be a part of you....   

You make me cry, laugh and sing, all at the same time..

Love

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.