Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 09:41:38 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 795
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 598
Total: 599

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: World AIDS Day, Dec 1, 2006  (Read 8787 times)

Offline pozguy75

• POZitively Speaking
World AIDS Day, Dec 1, 2006
« on: November 27, 2006, 10:56:06 am »
As many of you know this Friday, December 1, 2006 is world AIDS day...I will be at my job, wearing my t-shirt stating "We All Have AIDS". This is a day for global recognition and tolerance...I only wish we could spread this sentiment throughout all year long.

So, what will you be doing on December 1 in your neck of the woods??
Dx 2005
ATRIPLA

Offline chemistry001

• http://www.mygaydar.com/chemistry001
Re: World AIDS Day, Dec 1, 2006
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 10:59:25 am »
My school has agreed to have a non-uniform day to raise money, as a form tutor i will be doing a research project with my year 7 form.

Paul xXx
Diagnosed 01/08/06
CD4-9, VL->500,000, CD4% 1
Started on Sustiva/combivir 22/08/06 changed to kivexa 18/09/06
02/10/06
CD4-50, VL-1496, CD4% 5
04/12/06
CD4-112, VL-125, CD4% 7.5
22/02/07
CD4-121, VL-<50, CD4% 9
29/05/07
CD4-125, VL-71,(re-done 149), CD4% 11
25/09/07
CD4 -231, VL-74, CD4% 15
Cant remember the next few dates
17/01/08  Kaletra and Truvada
CD4 - 281, VL-115
06/03/08
CD4 - 287, VL-178

Offline woodshere

• ain't no shame in my game
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 11:27:14 am »
In Louisville we actually will be starting a little early with Dining Out for Life on Wednesday. The poz social group I am a member of will be eating at one of the over 50 restaurants that are participating.  On Friday there is a community wide program at the Muhammad Ali Center (check center out at www.alicenter.org).  I will be reading names and lighting candles.
Cheers,
Woods
"Let us give pubicity to HV/AIDS and not hide it..." "One of the things destroying people with AIDS is the stigma we attach to it."   Nelson Mandela

Offline AIDS2HIV

• www.aids2hiv.com
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 12:34:54 pm »
i will be making another televised appearance on TV in my area to raise awareness, education, and testing/prevention. they said they are gonna try to get it together for world aids day, whether they will or not remains to be seen.

also, i will be attending a college on W.A.D. to speak to students.
Its the future of Hiv Education, and Resources www.aids2hiv.com      Got Community?

Offline gemini20

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 01:06:18 pm »
It's my busiest week of the year and I'll be giving 6 talks in five days this week to raise awareness of HIV and AIDS to students in and around London. By the end of the week approximately 1,000 students will have heard me speak.

On December 1st itself I'll be talking in a Catholic girls school which every year runs a health and relationships day for the 16-18 year old girls.

And then that evening I'm going out for a well earned drink or two with my fellow fantasy football league members - definitely guaranteed not to be talking about HIV in the evening!

Thanks in advance to everyone who will be making their own efforts to acknowledge the day.

Emma
Diagnosed 11th September 1991
Current CD4 count 484 (26%); viral load undetectable (December 2011).
Restarting boosted Prezista 08/04/11

Offline Eldon

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2006, 06:19:08 pm »
Hey Jeromy,

Monitoring the World news.

Make the BEST of each Day!

Offline jack

• fomerly the loser known as Jake
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2006, 07:31:56 pm »
I will be working.

Offline RobT

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2006, 12:41:05 am »
Jeromy-
I will b working. Did u get my picture?

RobT
Current meds: Atripla
VL: undetectable
CD4: 630

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2006, 01:09:45 am »
I'm not sure what goes on here, I think the only one that pays attention to that is the gay congregation. Most straight people walk around like it's another day. But I will watch the news to see if anything happens....
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline kcmetroman

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2006, 04:09:04 pm »
It's more like World Aids Week.

Today we participated on a patient panel with 100 Pre Med students at Kansas University Medical Center.  It was a blast.

Friday:
World Aids Day breakfast at the Kaufman Foundation
Rally at Truman Medical Center
Volunteering at the Balloon release ceremony at the Health Department
Rally for KU Med Center at the KC Plaza
Dinner at Southwest Boulevard ID clinic

Offline manchesteruk

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2006, 04:44:47 pm »
Well somehow i've managed to schedule my latest bloodwork on World AIDS day so thats how i'll be spending the morning.  In the evening there is a candlelit vigil at the Beacon of Hope in Manchester which unfortnately is the only AIDS memorial in the whole of the UK so I shall wander down there.  I wish I could say I was doing a bit with regards to awareness but I guess i'm not ready for that one yet.
Diagnosed 11/05

"Life is too important to be taken seriously" Oscar Wilde

Offline Amosboy

• Music is the panacea.
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2006, 04:51:55 pm »
My personal mission is to tell everyone I come in contact with that day that I am HIV+.  Call me a strange bird, but I do that sort of thing everyday.  I think it sort of demystifies the whole HIV stigma.  I have had all kinds of reactions but it's all in the way you present it, in my opinion, and how you react to the good and the bad.  Being HIV+ is just one small part of who I am, but on this day, I will push it to the forefront.  I will take the opportunity to answers anybody's questions as openly and honestly as "they feel comfortable with", if that make any sense.  I see myself as a survivor not a victim, and there is always those people out there that have it worse than I do.  I think people in general want to share and they usually find something good in such a candid exchange.  I know when to walk away from a conversation when it becomes threatening, rest assured, and that has happened on occasion too.  

It's refreshing to not have to carry this burden by myself anymore.  Most people feel sort of touched that you've shared such a personal thing with them.

So let your "cat out the bag" that day if you haven't done so already.  It can be pretty damn liberating!

Brooks
"Love isn't love unless it's not painfully absurb."

-Charlotte Martin

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2006, 07:11:48 pm »
I'll be going to Monrovia College in Pennsylvania to speak to students at the closing of a weeklong series of HIV-related events.

My talk is about ACT UP and HIV activism seen from a personal perspective with a dollop of my encouraging safer sex via condoms thrown in at no extra charge.

I love talking with students. It makes a very encouraging antidote to much of what we're innundated with our world today. And they always seem very turned on by my telling them how individuals really can make a difference when they care about something. I am thrilled that a college is having a whole week of HIV information events. Way to go!

And as much as I respect the meaning of remembering those we've lost, I love the idea of doing something on WORLD AIDS DAY which is about being proactive. It's great reading what everyone has written here.

Big hugs and cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2006, 07:25:45 pm »
On WAD I will be going to a backroom/sauna to have random sex with mostly HIV-positive boys then much later hanging out with my cool, big-breasted hiphop dykey friend (flying in early AM) with whom I will share several small pipes of the green stuff ("God's Own Parsley"), prob staying up til breakfast-time Sat.  We may cuddle up. There's a risk I will advantage myself of her naturally attractive n comfy bosom. I will not be (a) wearing a red ribbon (b) lighting anything part from my pipe (c) going to a gay bar where there are ASO volunteers with collecting boxes, the offer of a rapid HIV test and Bette Midler/Elton John songs playing.  I guess as usual in the daytime we will go n fly kites with prayers attached to the tails (its a Buddhist thing  :)) n have Japanese lunch (bento boxes) with a regular annual crowd n talk about holiday plans for summer 2007, movies, art, ex etc, but otherwise, see above . . . esp the first bit  :).

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline penguin

• The Penguin Whisperer
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2006, 06:17:30 am »
WAD, I don’t do. I see it largely as a hand wringing exercise, a feel-better exercise, pound-coin in ribbon box = guilt assuaged for another year.
Instead, on friday, I will be going to the dentist -  & then to my friend paul's, to meet & name the 3 apricot silver call ducks he has just adopted.

This time of year can be difficult for me, for many people - anniversaries, unmet expectations, loneliness. Over the next few weeks, I will be tying Lung Ta - Tibetan/Nepalese peace flags - to various things; bridges, trees, car ariels, lampposts. I commit to the wind my hopes, the goodness & creativity of special people, and the things for which I no longer have need. The colours, the sight of them fluttering against London winter greyness, always makes me smile.

Life continues - I continue. There is peace, a lightening, in the letting go.

kate

Offline gvolts5

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2006, 10:06:58 am »
I forgot all about World Aids day.  It wasn't in my consciousness at all.  I can't remember everything.

John

Offline Terry

• 7/13/82 Infected
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2006, 12:47:52 am »

I keep myself busy with issues much of the year.  ::)

Dear Terry:

As we commemorate another World AIDS Day on December 1, we have a new and dismal set of statistics on the spread of HIV/AIDS throughout the world. To date, 25 million people have died from AIDS worldwide. Another 40 million are currently living with HIV, the virus that causes AIDS. And 14.5 million children are orphans because of AIDS.

In 1988, seven years after HIV/AIDS was first diagnosed, World AIDS Day was established as a way to focus attention to stop the spread of HIV/AIDS. Today, worldwide, we remain far from that goal, with the number of infected people continuing to increase and with infections rebounding in areas of the world where rates had once fallen.

Perhaps hardest hit is southern Africa, where the infection rate is more than 15 percent and where more than 12 million children have no parents because of AIDS. Too many of these children live in abject poverty and exploitation.

Although I am proud of my work on legislation to provide assistance worldwide to children orphaned by AIDS, to fund HIV/AIDS research, to promote care and treatment of those infected, and to create programs to reduce the spread of HIV, clearly more must be done to fight this horrible disease. When the new Congress convenes in January, I am hopeful that there will be a renewed effort to seriously address HIV/AIDS in this country and worldwide. On the 25th anniversary of its identification, and after 25 million people have been lost worldwide, we must do no less.

Sincerely,

Barbara Boxer
United States Senator

================================================

Offline dyingYOUNG19

Re: World AIDS Day, Dec 1, 2006 in the Philippines...
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2006, 02:21:02 am »
well, it's NATIONAL AIDS DAY in the Philippines but SAD to SAY, I don't hear anything on it....

so what I did is that...I have my TEXT BRIGADE, I spread a message through mobile and internet saying:

Today, December 1, the globe commemorates
the WORLD AIDS DAY...

Let us offer a prayer for the millions of people around the globe who are suffering from HIV/AIDS including the 2,600+ FILIPINOS...

and bring awareness to everyone the RESPONSIBILITIES we have to STOP AIDS!

------------------

I hope with this, I can give even my small contribution on HIV/AIDS Awareness specially for the Filipinos....

there were two GREATEST DAYS in your LIFE:
The day you were born; and
the day you knew why...

I will live this DAY as if my LAST. This DAY is ALL I HAVE and these HOURS are my ETERNITY...

Offline Nadine

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2006, 09:09:25 am »
Today we will be going to my hubby's ID appointment...after that we will go out to eat at the Quarter Bistro, where part of the proceeds today will benefit MAPP...The Midwest Aids Prevention Project.

Offline cmhjeff

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2006, 09:48:41 am »
WORLD AIDS DAY IS FRIDAY, DECEMBER 1 - QUILT TO BE ON DISPLAY ENTIRE WEEK
CANDLELIGHT VIGIL TO BE HELD FRIDAY, DECEMBER 1 AT 5PM

CATF, Columbus Public Health and the Columbus Regional Advisory Group for HIV Prevention will be hosting a display of the Names Project AIDS Quilt at the Columbus Public Health building - 250 Parsons Avenue from November 27 through December 1. The Quilt is an amazing piece of folk art, a powerful symbol of an organized social movement and a beautiful memorial to the individuals whose lives were ended by AIDS related illnesses. The display will be open to the public from Monday, November 27 through Friday, December 1 (see calendar below) and you can schedule group tours on Wednesday, November 29 and Thursday, November 30 from 9am - 12pm and 2pm - 5pm. To schedule group tours, please email Sue Villilo at SLVillil@columbus.gov. Click here for the flier.

Display Schedule:
Monday, Nov 27 from 9am-8pm
Tuesday, Nov 28 from 1pm-7:30pm
Wednesday, Nov 29 from 9am - 12pm and 2pm - 5pm
Thursday, Nov 30 from 9am - 12pm and 2pm - 5pm
Friday, Dec 1 from 10am - 3pm

The candlelight vigil will be held on Friday, December 1 at 5pm at the Columbus Public Health Building. Names of people who have died from AIDS related illnesses will be read during the vigil. If you have the name of an individual that you want to be recognized at the vigil, please call 614-340-6731.

Offline RevMC

• It's me!
    • Psychic AwakeningSchool.com
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2006, 10:16:04 am »
Today I remember what I did 18 yrs ago.  Holding a press conference to declare my running openly gay and openly HIV+ for Mayor of Providence, RI.

I remember those who have passed before us, and those who are not doing well right now.  I lookforward to hope for the future.

I'm wanting to get more involved with the community and be a speaker to make more people aware of AIDS.  As soon as Louie get's better (I hope) I'm going to look into doing that.

I let people know everyday of the year about HIV/AIDS.  If someone has the courage to ask me my status, I have the courage to tell them.

12/1/06 to those who have gone before us, to those of us surviving, and to those who are losing the battle, may God bless everyone and hold us all close to his/her heart.

Love and Light,
Rev. Michael
Part of my story: "Sale Of A Lifetime" POZ December 2003
https://www.poz.com/article/Sale-of-a-Lifetime-752-6797

Started on Truvada and Viramune on 2/15/07

Jan 8, 2007   t-cells 215  Viral Load 10,000  24%
March 26'th  T-cells 306   Viral Load  UNDETECTABLE
June 2007 t-cells 375 Viral Load UNDETECTABLE
August 2007 t-cells 290 Viral Load UNDETECTABLE

Love and Light and Reiki sent your way,
Rev. Michae

Offline Javicho

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2006, 10:31:19 am »
I'm at work but today I will be talking to all my coworkers about HIV and AIDS. Also I will pray for those who left before us.

Love you all :'(

Offline Phenotype

• "It takes a Man to take a Man"
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2006, 03:06:16 pm »
I participated in a speakers panel yesterday at a local college in Hammond, La. Today, I am in bed sick! :(
"It takes a Man to take a Man"
"Curiosity killed the cat, but for a while I was a suspect."
Poz since 2/14/90
Current Meds: Isentress, Combivir, Cymbalta, Lamictal & Diazepam

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2006, 03:35:21 pm »
I will go to the local memorial, where no politicans will attend to show their support and I will listen to hollow words from people who have no idea what HIV really entails.

Then we will all lights candles and the names of our dead will be read.  After the 50th name or so, I will go to a quiet corner and cry my eyes out.

Offline pozguy75

• POZitively Speaking
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2006, 04:26:52 pm »
Tonight I will be going to a dinner to benefit the House of Mercy here in Charlotte. The House of Mercy is the only AIDS hospice where folks can live out their remaining days in dignity. I will cry a lot...I will laugh a lot...and I will hug a lot!

Today, I wore my "We All Have AIDS" t-shirt and it sparked some great conversation!

I have to admit though, I am tired...I am sure it has something to do with the fact that I have been waking up soaked from night sweats over the last two weeks in the middle of the night...not to mention not being able to sleep really through the entire night. But, tonight I will present myself as best as I can, and just be there to support a place that means so much to so many!

But I also want to recognize here...all of you! We are all here with a commonality...some have been living with this disease for upwards of two decades, and some of us have just started this journey. But the one thing I want to remind everyone, no matter where we are on this road...WE ARE ALL ON THE SAME ROAD! Let us be good drivers and passengers with each other...cause after all, if we don't each other...who do we have??

Anyway...each of you fill my heart with love and warmth, and I hope I can do the same for you!

Love you all!
Jeromy
Dx 2005
ATRIPLA

Offline Phenotype

• "It takes a Man to take a Man"
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2006, 04:31:27 pm »
Jeromy,  I don't think any of us could have put that as well as you did. You nailed it squarely on the head, whether we are gay, bi, straight or transgenered, long-term or newly infected or somewhere in between WE ALL NEED TO LOOK OUT FOR EACH OTHER!!!

SHAWN
"It takes a Man to take a Man"
"Curiosity killed the cat, but for a while I was a suspect."
Poz since 2/14/90
Current Meds: Isentress, Combivir, Cymbalta, Lamictal & Diazepam

Offline red_Dragon888

• Love and Be Love in Return
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2006, 05:13:12 pm »
It's Christmas Already. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I3ba3lnFHik

Off Crystal Meth since May 13, 2013.  In recovery with 20 months clean time.

Offline hussy_24

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2006, 05:35:29 pm »
"On WAD I will be going to a backroom/sauna to have random sex with mostly HIV-positive boys "

... damn, why did i go straight home after work >.>

Offline RobT

« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2006, 12:05:19 am »
Jeromy-
U r such an activist and I love it! I wish that I was as active as u r. U have  been thru a lot an du still have energy to do it. How do u do that? I want to know ur secret.

RobT
Current meds: Atripla
VL: undetectable
CD4: 630

Offline libra11_dj

• what's so hard to love ?
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2006, 12:30:31 am »
I had to work

Offline wellington

• Don't sweat the little things.
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2006, 12:51:08 am »
I was planning to sleep in til noon-ish, as usual, but ended up taking the car in for snow tires. Which meant, at the unGodly hour of 8, I was on the road, in heavy traffic and rain. Who can sleep after that, try as one might?

A light lunch. Midday pills. Sundry errands for Christmas items. More food. Snacks. Cocktails - the non-HAART sort. Then, I realized it was WAD.

Perused the usual plethora of mass media bits that plague days such as this. Made some plans for dinner then watched some TV. HBO was showing the Spencer Tunick installation of 2004 for POZ magazine of all nude POZ folks. It had some very touching moments. My partner watched with me and for the first time in a long while, he sat and watched intently. I think he was a bit agog at how similar issues were being raised in this documentary as have been present in our real life.

All in all, it was a decent day. Hoping the snow will stay away for a little while longer. It's so nice when it just arrives so softly on Christmas Eve.

Bedtime pills coming up. I will gulp them down then close my eyes and think off all the people less fortunate than me, offering them wishes of bestter fortune as I drift off to sleep.

Offline AtomicA

• that's Famous with an F
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2006, 05:56:14 am »
I forgot it was world AIDS day until I went to the bar tongiht (our one and only gay club). The jerks were charging cover for the first time since they opened! When I found out that it was all for WAD though I wasn't so mad. Me and everyone who walked through to door got pinned with a red ribbon and the club raised     $20 060.00 for AIDS causes. Which causes I have no idea, but either way, kudos to the Twisted Element, Calgary for getting in to the spirit.

Offline AtomicA

• that's Famous with an F
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2006, 05:57:51 am »
er, it might have only been $2060 seeing as it was only $2 cover but I was kind of drunk when they announced the total... either way I'm sure it will help someone, somewhere.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.