Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 22, 2024, 11:37:05 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773263
  • Total Topics: 66345
  • Online Today: 185
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 119
Total: 119

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: CDC Blames Serosorting for Syphilis Increase  (Read 14261 times)

Offline edfu

« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 01:31:30 am by edfu »
"No one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences."--Albert Camus, "The Plague"

"Mankind can never be free until the last brick in the last church falls on the head of the last priest."--Voltaire

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
Re: CDC Blames Serosorting for Syphilis Increase
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 06:53:07 am »
Syphilis has increased each year since 2000 -- its rate is up 81 percent -- with gay and bisexual men representing 65 percent of cases, the CDC said.

Douglas said many cases are occurring in HIV-positive men who are choosing other HIV-positive men as sexual partners.

"Within that relationship, they are less concerned about the transmission of other conditions. They're not using condoms. They believe that their partner already has got the worst they can get -- they've got an HIV infection," he said.

This makes sense. As has been stated by many people on AIDSmeds HIV is not the only STD out there.

Offline David_CA

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 09:00:26 am »
Syphilis has increased each year since 2000 -- its rate is up 81 percent -- with gay and bisexual men representing 65 percent of cases, the CDC said.

Douglas said many cases are occurring in HIV-positive men who are choosing other HIV-positive men as sexual partners.

"Within that relationship, they are less concerned about the transmission of other conditions. They're not using condoms. They believe that their partner already has got the worst they can get -- they've got an HIV infection," he said.

This makes sense. As has been stated by many people on AIDSmeds HIV is not the only STD out there.

I'd say that's correct; HIV is the worst STD.  At least syphilis is treatable / curable.  I guess that increase (in gay and bisexual men) is part of why my Dr. orders full STD tests at least twice a year when I go for labs.  Luckily, those labs have always been 'clean', except for the one that the Dept. of Health forced on me.  According to them, it showed that I had syphilis, but my Dr. doesn't think I did. 
Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 10:36:42 am »
Annual syphilis tests are standard of care and everyone should get them.

For those who are sexually active and have multiple partners, or who have partners who have multiple partners, having one done more than once a year might be desirable.

By the way, and annual TB tests are also standard of care, but I often wonder how many people actually get them.

HUGS,

Mark

"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline bear60

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 11:36:16 am »
Mark said: "For those who are sexually active and have multiple partners, or who have partners who have multiple partners, having one done more than once a year might be desirable."
Absolutely,  the most important thing is twice a year if you are sexually active and have multiple partners.  I have a friend who has HAD SYPHILLIS TWICE THIS PAST YEAR. The second time he caught it from a guy who was bisexual and married and came in his mouth and he developed a hugely swollen uvula that the doctors took pictures of because they had never seen anything like it,
Oh ...and he has HIV/AIDS.
The first time he had wierd symptoms that his doctor couldnt diagnose and treated him with the wrong drugs.  Guess by now he is familiar with syphilis.!
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 01:08:32 pm »
depressing. a lot of us wanna meet a nice sexy witty regular serosimilar (is that a word?) person to fool around with on a n on going basis and now we need to worry bout THIS ugggh

it's bloody unfair

Offline hotpuppy

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 03:11:05 pm »
What isn't being said is that Syphillis drastically increases (800%) the risk of catching HIV for negative serosorters.  It is probably why I caught HIV as a top. 

My hunch is that where syphillis rates go, so too will hiv infections.

The bright side is that it's just a shot in the butt to clear up syph.  I think it's more important that we get regular screening and treatment for syphillis.  All activities have risk and sex is one such activity.  I'm not downplaying the risk as much I'm stating the obvious.  I regularly remind my neg friends that you can catch syph in a myriad of ways besides anal sex.  I'll refrain from listing them and instead suggest that if the prospect of syphillis worries you (and it should) then you need to go read how you can catch it from the CDC guidelines.

http://www.cdc.gov/std/syphilis/STDFact-Syphilis.htm#spread

Don't obsess over the wrong things.  Life isn't about your numbers, it isn't about this forum, it isn't about someone's opinion.  It's about getting out there and enjoying it.   I am a person with HIV - not the other way around.

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 03:17:18 pm »
I'd say that's correct; HIV is the worst STD.  At least syphilis is treatable / curable.  I guess that increase (in gay and bisexual men) is part of why my Dr. orders full STD tests at least twice a year when I go for labs.  Luckily, those labs have always been 'clean', except for the one that the Dept. of Health forced on me.  According to them, it showed that I had syphilis, but my Dr. doesn't think I did. 

Yeah My Partner somehow came down with syphilis last yr. 2008, He was treated, I was tested by my ID Doctor, twice in the yr. but never came down with it, but, the Dept. of Health called both of us in and my partner was treated a 2nd time, but, I was also treated and given them terrible 2 SHOTS  :-[ even tho I never tested POZ for syphilis, so, Yeah, its a big problem, and the Dept. of Health is very SERIOUS about this here in New Mexico, as they say, it's a real problem around here. ??? but ya know, after this ordeal, I just look now-a-days and don't wanna touch anymore, ( If you know what I mean)  :-[ as i told my partner "I'm not going thur this shit with you anymore" to date he still does not know where he got it from, it's even a mystery to his GM-Doctor..........he's lucky he's still HIV-NEG form this ordeal..........
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 03:23:39 pm by denb45 »
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline denb45

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 03:55:07 pm »
Mark said: "For those who are sexually active and have multiple partners, or who have partners who have multiple partners, having one done more than once a year might be desirable."
Absolutely,  the most important thing is twice a year if you are sexually active and have multiple partners.  I have a friend who has HAD SYPHILLIS TWICE THIS PAST YEAR. The second time he caught it from a guy who was bisexual and married and came in his mouth and he developed a hugely swollen uvula that the doctors took pictures of because they had never seen anything like it,
The first time he had wierd symptoms that his doctor couldnt diagnose and treated him with the wrong drugs.  Guess by now he is familiar with syphilis.!

YUCK!!  ??? Joel.......this is the kinda thing that makes me wanna just look, but not touch anymore  :-[
if that means staying monogamous, then so be it , safer that way  ;)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 04:00:42 pm by denb45 »
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 04:08:09 pm »

The bright side is that it's just a shot in the butt to clear up syph. 

Hiv positive people are at greater risk for syphilis turning into  neurosyphilis. Treating neurosyphilis entails more than "just a shot in the butt" - it's walking around for two weeks with a bum-bag full of antibiotics which are pumped into your bloodstream throughout the day. At least one forum member that I can recall has had to do this. It's no walk in the park.

Neurosyphilis: This occurs when T. pallidum infects the brain or spinal cord (central nervous system). Infection can occur during any syphilis stage and can cause serious neurological damage, including paralysis, numbness, gradual blindness and deafness. Neurosyphilis can be serious enough to cause permanent disability or death. Studies have found that HIV-positive people infected with T. pallidum are more likely to develop neurosyphilis, even during the early stages of infection.

Treating neurosyphilis often requires hospitalization. The treatment consists of penicillin administered through an intravenous (IV) line every four hours for up to two weeks.

Penicillin injections are administered directly into the butt muscle. Your butt may feel sore for several days after each injection. If you have a known allergy to penicillin, make sure you tell your doctor before you receive an injection. There are other antibiotics that can be given if you are allergic to penicillin.

Some people become ill after receiving their first penicillin injection. This is because of a "Herxheimer reaction," named after a German doctor who first noted it in 1895. Because penicillin injections are so fast-acting against the bacterium that causes syphilis, it can cause the bacteria to release high levels of toxins as they die. This can cause symptoms such as high fever, profuse sweating, night sweats, nausea, and vomiting. The symptoms of Herxheimer reactions usually end within a few hours, and can often be managed with the use of aspirin, NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs), Benadryl, pain medication, muscle relaxers, or others remedies—you should talk with your doctor or a nurse about your options.

It is very easy to miss the symptoms of primary syphilis - or any stage of syphilis, for that matter. As Pup says, regular screening is very important.

Ann
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 04:12:52 pm by Ann »
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline BlueMoon

• Calling from the Fun House
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2009, 05:11:07 pm »
Hiv positive people are at greater risk for syphilis turning into  neurosyphilis. Treating neurosyphilis entails more than "just a shot in the butt" - it's walking around for two weeks with a bum-bag full of antibiotics which are pumped into your bloodstream throughout the day. At least one forum member that I can recall has had to do this. It's no walk in the park.

Neurosyphilis: This occurs when T. pallidum infects the brain or spinal cord (central nervous system). Infection can occur during any syphilis stage and can cause serious neurological damage, including paralysis, numbness, gradual blindness and deafness. Neurosyphilis can be serious enough to cause permanent disability or death. Studies have found that HIV-positive people infected with T. pallidum are more likely to develop neurosyphilis, even during the early stages of infection.

Treating neurosyphilis often requires hospitalization. The treatment consists of penicillin administered through an intravenous (IV) line every four hours for up to two weeks.

Ann

Well thank you, Debbie Downer.    ::)

Just kidding, that's interesting and useful information which I did not know, but should.

Even the regular type of syphilis is actually three shots in the butt, a week apart, for HIV-positive people. 

I get tested for it along with my HIV labs every three months.  Good thing I do . . . .    :-[ 
It's a complex world

Offline denb45

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 05:22:32 pm »
 Ann.........My partner had to have a pic-line put into his chest and had a pump-infused treatment for a total of 14 days, everyday I had to change the batteries, bag of antibiotics , and sometimes during the night, his alarm would go off at 4 am in the morning,  I also had to change his pic- line, and clean out his line every 2 to 3 days, He was a BSRN, and I'm  EMT-1 certified, so, it wasn't a problem as we both new what to do, without having to have a Home-heath nurse, at the end of his 14 days treatment I even pulled out the pic-line, and he did his own follow up with his GM Doctor.......His Heart Doctor seem to think he got
syphilis form a Blood-transfusion when he had Open Heart Surgery back in 2002, but they cannot comfirm this as of yet........and, we think that they never will.........the fact that I didn't get syphilis form my partner  is still a mystery to me , Him, and even my ID Doctor......and the Dept. of Health.......
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 05:28:27 pm by denb45 »

Offline fearless

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2009, 06:44:11 pm »
The bright side is that it's just a shot in the butt to clear up syph. 

That's the American way. Doctors tend to be far more radical in their approach in Aus, especially if you are HIV +ve.

I was diagnosed with 2ndary syphilis just on New Years. Rather than 1 shot in the butt, I have just finished a course of 10 shots in the butt (one each day) - OUCH. This is meant to ensure that I clear the infection in the blood stream but also in the brain, just in case it had already got in there.

And, oh yeah Ann - I had the "Herxheimer reaction" from hell. The barely visible rash I had on my stomach turned into the most fiery ugly looking rash I've ever had and the headache and pains and sore throat. OUCH.

Butt (pardon the pun), I just had my last shot today and am as happy as Larry about that.
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline denb45

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2009, 07:35:49 pm »
You aussies are a lott more butcher than USA american guys are  ;D ( I'm only being sarcactic to all my fellow US Guys here in the States)  ;D Tee hee hee.....

Offline fearless

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2009, 07:40:15 pm »
You aussies are a lott more butcher than USA american guys are  ;D ( I'm only being sarcactic to all my fellow US Guys here in the States)  ;D Tee hee hee.....

I should have qualified that and said "My doctor is far more radical in his approach following the 'gold standard'", apparantely.

My boyfriend, who also tested +ve for syphilis, only received two shots in the butt on day 1 from his doctor. I'm starting to think my doctor is just a sadist who likes to inflict pain on me. Thankfully, I'm a masochist so didn't mind at all.  ;D

Offline denb45

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2009, 07:46:33 pm »
I should have qualified that and said "My doctor is far more radical in his approach following the 'gold standard'", apparantely.

My boyfriend, who also tested +ve for syphilis, only received two shots in the butt on day 1 from his doctor. I'm starting to think my doctor is just a sadist who likes to inflict pain on me. Thankfully, I'm a masochist so didn't mind at all.  ;D

Or maybe your Doctor thinks you have a nice ASS  ;D

Offline madbrain

• No longer an active member
    • My personal site
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2009, 07:53:55 pm »

I have luckily escaped syphilis (though I have been with partners that had it), but I have had other STDs besides HIV (chlamydia, gonorrhea), most likely acquired through oral sex too. Once, the chlamydia didn't disappear even after treatment. I found out because my symptoms weren't gone and I asked my doc to retest, and it was still there IMO, everyone should get retested after they are treated for an STD to make sure it's really gone. Sometimes there are resistant strains and a different med is needed. It would seem rather obvious to retest to confirm the treatment worked, but that doesn't seem to be standard of care. Perhaps your friend didn't really have it twice, but the treatment just didn't work the first time around. My doc said in HIV+ people the syphilis can be much harder to treat, especially if it turns into neurosyphilis.

Offline denb45

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2009, 08:01:14 pm »
 My Partner and I had the standard re-testing-follow up, and were in the clear, he also test for HIV every 3 to 4 months, and at least twice a yr. or more, but, we've decided not to play-the-field-anymore, (after what happened in 2008) and just keep it Safe so, he won't get HIV+ it's been 16 yrs. and so, far he hasn't  ;D
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 08:03:38 pm by denb45 »

Offline madbrain

• My personal site
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2009, 08:02:41 pm »
depressing. a lot of us wanna meet a nice sexy witty regular serosimilar (is that a word?) person to fool around with on a n on going basis and now we need to worry bout THIS ugggh

it's bloody unfair

IMO, this whole serosorting is completely misguided.

Even if you and your partner only have HIV and nothing else, are you going to compare your respeective genotype/phenotype test results to make sure you really have the same bug and you aren't putting each other at risk of superinfection ?

Using condoms seems a lot simpler if you are worried about your health.

However when it comes to other STDs than HIV, many of them can easily be transmitted through oral sex, much more easily than HIV. And I don't know many gay men who want to practice safe oral sex. I bought a bunch of flavored condoms and lube back in october for that purpose. The supply is nearly exhausted, and for the most part they weren't used for oral sex. So if you are going to practice unprotected oral sex, you do need to get retested for the standard treatable STDs regularly ...

Offline madbrain

• My personal site
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2009, 08:05:02 pm »
Annual syphilis tests are standard of care and everyone should get them.

For those who are sexually active and have multiple partners, or who have partners who have multiple partners, having one done more than once a year might be desirable.

By the way, and annual TB tests are also standard of care, but I often wonder how many people actually get them.

Who says that about annual syphilis tests ? I don't get them unless I ask for them.
I only had a TB test when I first tested poz. Same for my bf.

Offline madbrain

• My personal site
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2009, 08:09:35 pm »
Yeah My Partner somehow came down with syphilis last yr. 2008, He was treated, I was tested by my ID Doctor, twice in the yr. but never came down with it, but, the Dept. of Health called both of us in and my partner was treated a 2nd time, but, I was also treated and given them terrible 2 SHOTS  :-[ even tho I never tested POZ for syphilis, so, Yeah, its a big problem, and the Dept. of Health is very SERIOUS about this here in New Mexico, as they say, it's a real problem around here. ??? but ya know, after this ordeal, I just look now-a-days and don't wanna touch anymore, ( If you know what I mean)  :-[ as i told my partner "I'm not going thur this shit with you anymore" to date he still does not know where he got it from, it's even a mystery to his GM-Doctor..........he's lucky he's still HIV-NEG form this ordeal..........

I have been through those shots too even though I never tested positive for syphilis either. I met a guy about 2 years ago and hooked up with him. We had safe sex. He had never been tested for anything and I took him to the local free clinic because he reported having a lot of unsafe sex before. He came down HIV-, but poz for syphilis. I got retested for syph too, and was negative. But the health dept still asked my doc to give me the shots, as well as to my bf since we don't play safe. I don't really mind the shots but my bf is not crazy about them ;)

Offline fearless

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2009, 08:47:39 pm »
Who says that about annual syphilis tests ? I don't get them unless I ask for them.
I only had a TB test when I first tested poz. Same for my bf.

Madbrain,

If you are sexually active you really should be getting a full std screen at least twice a year. I tend to just have them done each quarter with my HIV blood draws.

This is really important for something like syphilis which can go undetected without regular testing - many people exhibit no symptons, or the symptoms misdiagnosed, for both the primary and secondary stage of infection when it is relatively easy to treat. Tertiary (or latent) syphilis is particularly nasty and can be life threatening.

And, as I've just found out syphilis is very contagious. One very very brief and ultimately unsatisfactory encounter was enough for me to become infected with syphilis.

Offline hotpuppy

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2009, 10:39:21 pm »

Serosorting works if you are poz.  It does not work well for HIV neg people.

While I agree with everything Ann said... interesting about Neurosyph.... many people missed my point completely.

Please read the CDC fact sheet.  Particularly the part about how you can catch it.  To be blunt, you can get syphillis from sucking dick.  Many people consider oral sex to be safe and thus do not use condoms.  My whole point here was that syphillis is very easy to catch and increases your risk of other STDs including HIV.

If you are going to engage in sex that has risk, be sure you get tested regularly so that you can get treatment, not spread anything you catch, and live a longer healthier life.
Don't obsess over the wrong things.  Life isn't about your numbers, it isn't about this forum, it isn't about someone's opinion.  It's about getting out there and enjoying it.   I am a person with HIV - not the other way around.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2009, 06:10:20 am »

Please read the CDC fact sheet.  Particularly the part about how you can catch it.  To be blunt, you can get syphillis from sucking dick.  Many people consider oral sex to be safe and thus do not use condoms.  My whole point here was that syphillis is very easy to catch and increases your risk of other STDs including HIV.

You can get it from simple skin to skin contact as well. I don't mean holding hands, I mean anytime sexual organs come into contact. While condoms greatly reduce your chance of getting syphilis, they don't rule it out completely.

For example - you can get syphilis lesions (chancres) on your balls. Condoms won't cover your balls. If you're blowing a guy who has a chancre on his sack, chances are good you're not going to notice it but yet have your lips come into contact with it. You get the picture (hopefully)

And to give a male/female example, women can get chancres on their labia lips, just like men can get chancres on their balls. Condoms won't protect in this instance either (labial/scrotal contact).

These are just two examples. I'm sure you can come up with more.

And the main reason most people don't realise they have syphilis? It's because the chancres are generally painless and therefore not noticed. Another reason is having the chancre in a place that's hidden, such as in the mouth, anus or vagina.

Oh, and sorry to be such a Debbie Downer. ;D  But, knowledge is power, so pay attention! ;)

I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from having whatever type of sex they want. I just want to encourage anyone who has sex to get regularly screened for STIs. I do. It's easy for a syphilis blood test to be included in your quarterly labs, like Steve does - and it can save you a hell of a mess. The sooner ANY (bacterial) STI is treated, the easier the treatment and the better the outcome.

Ann

PS - Syphilis shares a three month window with hiv for a conclusive negative result. That's why QUARTERLY tests for syphilis are extra important when you're hiv positive and playing the field, or have a partner who is.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 06:19:59 am by Ann »
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline madbrain

• My personal site
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2009, 06:17:41 am »
Madbrain,

If you are sexually active you really should be getting a full std screen at least twice a year. I tend to just have them done each quarter with my HIV blood draws.

Thanks. I do get tested regularly, and more than twice a year, but not unless I ask the doc to do it. I guess it would make sense for it to be part of the quarterly labs.

Offline Denver Toad

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2009, 01:17:02 pm »

Even if you and your partner only have HIV and nothing else, are you going to compare your respeective genotype/phenotype test results to make sure you really have the same bug and you aren't putting each other at risk of superinfection ?

Misguided by what (who's)  standard? The desire for intimacy, desire to have a normal sex life, wanting to respond to sexual needs without worrying whether there's a condom immediately available; are these all not reasonable and healthy needs? HIV serosorting done within the context of a committed relationship is a valuable and appropriate  means of measured risk valuation. IMO.

At the International Aids Conference in Bangkok, Thailand, U.S. scientists presented findings that appear to show no evidence of superinfection after researchers spent a year tracking 33 HIV-positive couples, 28 with HIV strains distinct from their partners, and 30 HIV-positive singles. The volunteers reported over 20,000 collective sexual encounters, many of them unprotected, and were tested periodically to see whether they acquired any new HIV strains. "We estimated that there would be 89 new infection events that we would've observed," says molecular epidemiologist and lead researcher, Robert Grant, of the Gladstone Institute for Virology and Immunology at the University of California at San Francisco. "Instead, we found no evidence of transmission of variants of HIV from one partner to the other if both partners are already infected with some form of HIV at the beginning of the study."
If and when superinfection does happen---there are a handful of cases world-wide--- it may be limited to a window following a person's initial HIV infection when "they may be susceptible to acquiring a second variant or a third variant [of HIV]" possibly because of the body's immune response, Grant says. Dual infection, or simultaneous infection with two strains of HIV, may be what Grant says that some doctors are now calling superinfection. "What we do not know about any of these [superinfection] cases is whether they could've had a dual infection from the beginning and that the second virus emerges because the first virus is suppressed by the immune system or somehow is less fit than the second virus," he explains. One reason superinfection appears to be a no-show in Grant's study may be that the U.S. has one strain of HIV, HIV-1, that predominates. Much of the rest of the world contends with HIV-1 and HIV-2, which divide into "subclades" or subtypes. Some experts agree that more strains make superinfection more nuanced outside the U.S., asRoger Pomerantz, a virologist at Thomas Jefferson University Medical College explains: "Superinfection may be rare in certain areas based on the strain and more common in other areas because, remember, the world's pandemic of HIV is not just one strain. There are many different strains and many different changes in virus." Pomerantz, an unpaid scientific advisor to the Gladstone Institute, is cautious about Grant's work for that reason. "It may be true in California, but it may not be true in Sub-Saharan Africa or in Thailand," he warns. "We have to take his work, which I think is excellent, but not over-generalize it and continue to look around the world and make sure the epidemic which is heterogeneous, is looked at carefully."

Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly,
Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Offline denb45

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2009, 01:35:53 pm »
Misguided by what (who's)  standard? The desire for intimacy, desire to have a normal sex life, wanting to respond to sexual needs without worrying whether there's a condom immediately available; are these all not reasonable and healthy needs? HIV serosorting done within the context of a committed relationship is a valuable and appropriate  means of measured risk valuation. IMO.

AMEM! to that  :)

Offline madbrain

• My personal site
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2009, 04:21:33 pm »

Yes, they are reasonable needs, I just don't agree that serosorting is the answer.

Offline madbrain

• My personal site
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2009, 04:26:45 pm »
Serosorting works if you are poz.  It does not work well for HIV neg people.

It doesn't take a genius for a bug chaser to pretend to be poz so that he can bb with some poz guys. I wouldn't want to be responsible for infecting one.

And as has been pointed out, even between poz guys, there are other bugs around. Not all of them easily curable depending on the stage of infection. Would you want to be coinfected with HIV, syphilis, HSV1, HSV2, HPV, hepatitis C , not to mention A and B if you didn't get vaccinated.

Offline fearless

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2009, 06:14:50 pm »
And as has been pointed out, even between poz guys, there are other bugs around. Not all of them easily curable depending on the stage of infection. Would you want to be coinfected with HIV, syphilis, HSV1, HSV2, HPV, hepatitis C , not to mention A and B if you didn't get vaccinated.

Well, considering that I had all of these except hep C and syphilis (which I've now had post HIV) prior to my HIV infection serossorting seems to work well for me. For me, the advantages of a good condomless fuck with my boyfriend and whoever else we have along far outway any possible negatives.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.