Main Forums > Living With HIV

FOTO...

<< < (3/5) > >>

thunter34:
I absolutely would NOT jigger with my meds.  I agree with others that depression and the like are likely culprits; however, it has been known that HIV infection in and of itself can screw with sleep cycles.  Even when I got depression under control, I still had feelings of tiredness in my limbs all day every day, and I also felt sort of winded. 

I've dealt with this and now have some stuff called Provigil that helps keep the engine running.  This is similar to something like Adderall, but not as strong.  It is also metabolized in the body in roughly eight hours, so it doesn't keep me up around the clock.

Still, doctors may be hesitant to prescribe something like that if you have a history of stimulant abuse.

Joe K:

--- Quote from: thunter34 on April 22, 2014, 02:57:53 pm ---I've dealt with this and now have some stuff called Provigil that helps keep the engine running.  This is similar to something like Adderall, but not as strong.  It is also metabolized in the body in roughly eight hours, so it doesn't keep me up around the clock.

--- End quote ---

I take major doses of antidepressants as well as HIV meds and I used to feel like "dead man walking."  What changed for me is adding Methylphenidate (Ridlin).  It comes in doses starting at 5mg and you can taper the dose as needed.  I take a sustained release in the morning and a 10mg fast acting in the afternoon if I need it.  What I like about the drug is it DOES NOT make you feel like you are on speed, instead it increases your clarity of thought, making it easier to concentrate and be active, without your face dragging on the ground.  I use Trazadone to sleep, so I don't know if it would affect my sleep patterns.

Joe

thunter34:

--- Quote from: Joe K on April 22, 2014, 03:14:44 pm ---I take major doses of antidepressants as well as HIV meds and I used to feel like "dead man walking."  What changed for me is adding Methylphenidate (Ridlin).  It comes in doses starting at 5mg and you can taper the dose as needed.  I take a sustained release in the morning and a 10mg fast acting in the afternoon if I need it.  What I like about the drug is it DOES NOT make you feel like you are on speed, instead it increases your clarity of thought, making it easier to concentrate and be active, without your face dragging on the ground.  I use Trazadone to sleep, so I don't know if it would affect my sleep patterns.

Joe

--- End quote ---

I just got put on Trazadone, and I can barely take it.  Half a pill if I really feel I need it, maybe.  A full one will knock my butt in the dirt, unable to do much of anything.  It's potent enough that even with the Provigil I still feel woogy.  Without the Provigil, I am all but bed bound.  Not too keen on it.

Oh...but the Provigil for me is just like that - not speedy, just focused and with a bit of a can-do attitude.

I am very happy that my psyche doctor listened and put me on it.  It seems to me like a lot of people dismiss fatigue since it is something you can't readily see.

skeebo1969:

I take a low dose of Remeron.   It helps both in sleep and appetite, which are merely side effects of this antidepressant.

Joe K:

--- Quote from: thunter34 on April 22, 2014, 03:28:31 pm ---I just got put on Trazadone, and I can barely take it.  Half a pill if I really feel I need it, maybe.  A full one will knock my butt in the dirt, unable to do much of anything.  It's potent enough that even with the Provigil I still feel woogy.  Without the Provigil, I am all but bed bound.  Not too keen on it.

Oh...but the Provigil for me is just like that - not speedy, just focused and with a bit of a can-do attitude.

I am very happy that my psyche doctor listened and put me on it.  It seems to me like a lot of people dismiss fatigue since it is something you can't readily see.

--- End quote ---

Tim,

You do know to take your Trazadone, right before you sleep and not when you are awake?  The nice thing about Trazadone is that it has a 4 hour half-life, meaning the drug is gone from your system in 8 hours and usually does not produce the "hangover" you can get from other sleeping aids.  I would suggest you talk with your psychiatrist about some of these drugs, as you might need a little fine tuning to alleviate some of these issues.

Joe

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version