Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:32:28 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773289
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 690
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 611
Total: 612

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: ***BREAKING*** Hillary Clinton suspends campaign; endorses Obama unequivocally  (Read 7203 times)

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
source

WASHINGTON - Hillary Rodham Clinton ended her historic campaign for the presidency on Saturday and told supporters to unite behind rival Barack Obama, closing out a race that was as grueling as it was groundbreaking.

The former first lady, who as recently as Tuesday declared herself the strongest candidate, gave Obama an unqualified endorsement and pivoted from her role as determined foe to absolute ally.

"The way to continue our fight now to accomplish the goals for which we stand is to take our energy, our passion, our energy and do all we can to help elect Barack Obama, the next president of the United States," she said in a speech before cheering supporters packed into the ornate National Building Museum, not far from the White House she longed to reign in.

"Today as I suspend my campaign, I congratulate him on the victory he has won and the extraordinary campaign he has won. I endorse him and throw my full support behind him and I ask of you to join me in working as hard for Barack Obama as you have for me," the New York senator said.

With that, Clinton placed herself solidly behind her Senate colleague from Illinois, a political sensation and the first black to secure a presidential nomination.

For Clinton and her supporters, it was a poignant moment, the end of an extraordinary run that began with an air of inevitability and certain victory. About 18 million people voted for her; it was the closest a woman has come to capturing a nomination.

Joining her on stage were her husband, the former president, and their daughter, Chelsea, before she took their leave as she addressed the crowd.

Obama secured the 2,118 delegates needed to clinch the nomination Tuesday after primaries in South Dakota and Montana. He planned to spend the weekend at home in Chicago.

Clinton supporters began lining up at dawn to attend the farewell address. A smattering of Obama backers showed up as well, saying they did so as a gesture of party unity.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Jody

Let's hope that mentioned party unity does happen...I think 75% or so of Clinton voters will inevitably line up behind Obama, it's the other 25% I'm worried about.

Jody
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03

Lets get the show on the road....

Ray 8)
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline randym431

In my little world, I know several women that say either they will just not vote (younger Hillary women), or they will now only vote republican (older women).
What gets me is how the older women just totally refuse to even consider Obama. I know they grew up feeling blacks sat at the back of the bus,
and only worked at service jobs. Just like they think gays only do hair or redecorate.

You just can not get thru to "some" older folks, to change a way of beliefs they grew up with.

What I think is the big unknown is, is how many republicans will support Obama, and simply feel McCain is too anti republican in nature.
Lets hope A LOT of them. That could more than offset the "angry Hillary women" backlash.

As much as I liked Hillary, I just hope Obama doesn’t pick her as his VP. That would be bad.
Personally, I hope he picks Senator Jim Webb of Virginia.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 08:58:17 am by randym431 »
Diag Sept 2005 VL 1mill, CD4 85, 3%, weight 143# (195# was normal)
Feb 2021, undetectable, weight 215#

Offline Miss Philicia

I personally know of two Republicans that will not vote for McCain but will vote for Obama -- one due to McCain's age and the other just because he detests McCain and always has.

Offline Dachshund

Relax children, Obama will win going away.

Offline SATC

Lets hope not. I don't want to see taxes go up anymore then they all ready are. A democrat would absolutely destroy the economy with the condition its in. And before any of you point to GWB, and spout out the typical leftist baloney, I do not support GWB and never have. He is not a true Republican. A true Republican is a fiscal conservative and GWB is on a spending spree with America's money.

Oh, and Obama will turn us over to the Mooselimb terrorists so quick our heads will spin. We need someone who has been in a war, and knows how to strategise. McCain was a prisoner of war.

Although, if your only qualification for President is how much money he is going to force everyone to donate to AIDS causes then Obama is the way to go. But I prefer people to give of their own volition rather then have it all taken out of their paychecks before they even receive them.

Offline Basquo

"Lets" and "your" and "before any of you" and "spout" and "Mooselimb" are all terms that tell me you are expecting to be attacked but are not sure.  Your intent may be for the good of us all, but your language is less than uniting in tone.

Offline SATC

I've been reading these forums for years. I already know how you guys attack anyone who isn't a left wing moonbat. I don't care if you don't like my opinion, thats why its my opinion and not yours.

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
I admit I had to look up the terms "Mooselimb" and "moonbat".

Offline Miss Philicia

Looks like Sam has a new play toy to chew on.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
SATC,

If you've been reading these forums for years as you claim, then you'll know that if you insist on using racist terms such as "mooselimb", you won't last here long.

Please consider yourself warned.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Dachshund

A democrat would absolutely destroy the economy with the condition its in.

This might be the funniest thing I've ever read.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
Most of my working friends say they wouldn't mind their taxes going up as long as they can see things being done that will help people, which will probably only happen if Obama gets in.

I know McCain was a POW; I believe he probably has some long-term psychological damage from that.  Most vets I know have some kind of post-traumatic stress, let alone those who were POW's.  Personally, I don't want someone who's psychologically unbalanced running the country. 

And this may sound totally agist, but what's someone who's 70 years old doing trying to embark on a new career? 
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline J.R.E.

We need someone who has been in a war, and knows how to strategise. McCain was a prisoner of war.

Being a prisoner of war is what got him elected in the first place. That was also forty years ago , the world has changed quite a bit since then , and he hasn't. Being a prisoner of war does not qualify him to be president of the United States.

Ray ( A Veteran)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 08:09:46 am by J.R.E. »
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline BlueMoon

• Calling from the Fun House
Please explain how being captured makes you smart.    ???
It's a complex world

Offline Miss Philicia

Being a prisoner of war is what got him elected in the first place.

Nonsense.  John McCain got elected the first time by dumping his wife who had cancer while Johnny was being waterboarded at the Hanoi Hilton, and then he married a blond heiress 17 years his junior who owns private jets and can fund his campaigns. 

ps:  I also thought that the policy of the board was that use of words such as this resulted in immediate banning, not simple warnings.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 08:54:35 am by philly267 »

Offline J.R.E.

and then he married a blond heiress 17 years his junior who owns private jets and can fund his campaigns. 

ps:  I also thought that the policy of the board was that use of words such as this resulted in immediate banning, not simple warnings.

A little more on that :

http://www.usvetdsp.com/mcaindiv.htm

Ray

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline randym431

Oh My G..
I didn’t get the "Mooselimb" thing at first. Was that a 6 year old on daddy’s pc keyboard?
Anyone that thinks or tries to connect Obama with "Mooselimb", would also, no doubt,
argue against gay marriage because THAT would lead to man-dog marriages.
Or man-lamp or man-duck marriage. I have to laugh to the point of tears at those arguments.

I've read both Obama's books. He's more American than apple pie. Read his books.

Hey, if McCain "deserves" to be president just cause he was a POW, or a Vet,
then McCain gets two points for that.
Then Obama gets a point for each and every suffering the blacks have been thru
via the "goodness" of our country. KKK, lynching, attacks by police dogs, and fire hoses,
made to sit at the back of public buses, and least us not forget SLAVERY!

So...
McCain = 2 points.
Obama = 6+ points
If... that’s the way you want to decide.

Yeah, this is all silly and neither military status nor race status should come into picking a president.

Lets go by teeth. Obama has a great million dollar smile. McCain has this creepy yellow teeth smile.
Do you want that creepy McCain smile haunting you the next 4 years? I don’t. It scares my dog...

Diag Sept 2005 VL 1mill, CD4 85, 3%, weight 143# (195# was normal)
Feb 2021, undetectable, weight 215#

Offline dixieman

I'm checking out the Libertarian party... the democrats and republicans need to move aside... this country needs more than a two party system... oh and on taxes... historical taxes have remained constant of the gross national product ...19.75% whether anyone states their raising and or lowering taxes... its a constant on the GNP anyone who tells you different is basically lying...

Offline Dachshund

While you're at it check out who they've nominated to run for President as the Libertarian. Ultra-rightwing former Congressman Bob Barr who authorized and sponsored The Defense of Marriage Act.

Offline Miss Philicia

***OBAMA'S LETTER TO THE LGBT COMMUNITY***

I’m running for President to build an America that lives up to our founding promise of equality for all – a promise that extends to our gay brothers and sisters. It’s wrong to have millions of Americans living as second-class citizens in this nation. And I ask for your support in this election so that together we can bring about real change for all LGBT Americans.

Equality is a moral imperative. That’s why throughout my career, I have fought to eliminate discrimination against LGBT Americans. In Illinois, I cosponsored a fully inclusive bill that prohibited discrimination on the basis of both sexual orientation and gender identity, extending protection to the workplace, housing, and places of public accommodation. In the U.S. Senate, I have cosponsored bills that would equalize tax treatment for same-sex couples and provide benefits to domestic partners of federal employees. And as president, I will place the weight of my administration behind the enactment of the Matthew Shepard Act to outlaw hate crimes and a fully inclusive Employment Non- Discrimination Act to outlaw workplace discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity.

As your President, I will use the bully pulpit to urge states to treat samesex couples with full equality in their family and adoption laws. I personally believe that civil unions represent the best way to secure that equal treatment. But I also believe that the federal government should not stand in the way of states that want to decide on their own how best to pursue equality for gay and lesbian couples -whether that means a domestic partnership, a civil union, or a civil marriage. I support the complete repeal of the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA). Federal law should not discriminate in any way against gay and lesbian couples, which is precisely what DOMA does. I have also called for us to repeal Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell, and I have worked to improve the Uniting American Families Act so we can afford same-sex couples the same rights and obligations as married couples in our immigration system.

The next president must also address the HIV/AIDS epidemic. When it comes to prevention, we do not have to choose between values and science. While abstinence education should be part of any strategy, we also need to use common sense. We should have age-appropriate sex education that includes information about contraception. We should pass the JUSTICE Act to combat infection within our prison population. And we should lift the federal ban on needle exchange, which could dramatically reduce rates of infection among drug users. In addition, local governments can protect public health by distributing contraceptives.

We also need a president who’s willing to confront the stigma - too often tied to homophobia - that continues to surround HIV/AIDS. I confronted this stigma directly in a speech to evangelicals at Rick Warren’s Saddleback Church, and will continue to speak out as president.

That is where I stand on the major issues of the day. But having the right positions on the issues is only half the battle. The other half is to win broad support for those positions. And winning broad support will require stepping outside our comfort zone. If we want to repeal DOMA, repeal Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell, and implement fully inclusive laws outlawing hate crimes and discrimination in the workplace, we need to bring the message of LGBT equality to skeptical audiences as well as friendly ones - and that’s what I’ve done throughout my career. I brought this message of inclusiveness to all of America in my keynote address at the 2004 Democratic convention. I talked about the need to fight homophobia when I announced my candidacy for President, and I have been talking about LGBT equality to a number of groups during this campaign - from local LGBT activists to rural farmers to parishioners at Ebenezer Baptist Church in Atlanta, where Dr. Martin Luther King once preached.

Just as important, I have been listening to what all Americans have to say. I will never compromise on my commitment to equal rights for all LGBT Americans. But neither will I close my ears to the voices of those who still need to be convinced. That is the work we must do to move forward together. It is difficult. It is challenging. And it is necessary.

Americans are yearning for leadership that can empower us to reach for what we know is possible. I believe that we can achieve the goal of full equality for the millions of LGBT people in this country. To do that, we need leadership that can appeal to the best parts of the human spirit. Join with me, and I will provide that leadership. Together, we will achieve real equality for all Americans, gay and straight alike.

http://www.towleroad.com/2008/06/obama-issues-le.html
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 01:14:30 pm by philly267 »

Offline Miss Philicia

Obama's Statement on Pride 2008!

Chicago, IL -- Senator Barack Obama today released the following statement commemorating Pride month.   

“I am proud to join with our lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered brothers and sisters in celebrating the accomplishments, the lives, and the families of all LGBT people during this Pride season.   Too often, the issue of LGBT rights is exploited by those seeking to divide us.  But at its core, this issue is about who we are as Americans.”

“It’s time to live up to our founding promise of equality by treating all our citizens with dignity and respect. Let’s enact federal civil rights legislation to outlaw hate crimes and protect workers against discrimination based upon sexual orientation and gender identity or expression.  Let’s repeal Don't Ask, Don't Tell and demonstrate that the most effective and professional military in the world is open to all Americans who are ready and willing to serve our country.  Let’s treat the relationships and the families of LGBT Americans with full equality under the law.”

“We are ready to accomplish these goals because of the courage and persistence of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered people who have are working every day to achieve equal rights.  The gay couple who demand equal treatment in our family laws as they raise their children; the lesbian soldier who wants nothing more than to serve her country openly and honestly; the transgendered workers who asks for the simple dignity of being judged by the quality of their work.  Generations of LGBT Americans, at once ordinary and extraordinary, have made possible this moment in our history.  With leadership and hard work, we can fulfill the promise of equality for all.” 

The Obama for America campaign is proud to be actively participating in over 60 local and state wide Pride events over the summer. To find the events nearest you please visit www.pride.barackobama.com/pridemonth; join us around the country as we show our Pride and support for Barack Obama!

http://my.barackobama.com/page/community/post/jcitron/gG5VLs
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 01:15:16 pm by philly267 »

Offline SATC

Ann,

Is there something wrong with insulting terrorists? These people flew 2 planes into the Twin Towers and killed over 3,000 people. Am I supposed to care about their wittle feewings? Should we have given Saddam Hussein a hug instead of hanging him? Would that have satisfied all the bleeding hearts better then killing a murderer? I'm supposed to be kind and understanding to a group of murderous savages? What should I call child molestors? Is there a term that I can call them that won't hurt their feelings?  ::)

Offline Miss Philicia

Don't be so transparently disingenuous SATC -- your use of the word is insulting to all Muslims.  Don't try and back track now and act as if it's a term only used with terrorists.

Dig your hole a bit deeper with the moderators here and you'll find you don't last very long.

Offline SATC

well since I said "Mooselimb TERRORISTS", I would think most people would understand that I was talking about TERRORISTS. But I guess if I thought with my heart instead of my head I might think that that statement was insulting to other MUSLIMS.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
SATC,

We take racism very seriously around here. And just to show you how serious, I'm giving you your first Time Out, which will last for seven days. As you've been reading this forum for years, you should have read the Welcome Thread and understood the posting guidelines by now - and the consequences for ignoring them.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.