Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 12:31:42 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773225
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 623
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 574
Total: 574

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: terrified  (Read 7665 times)

Offline scarednanxious

terrified
« on: January 29, 2010, 08:16:37 pm »
So heres the story...had anal sex...was bottom...used condom but it could have broken..the guy is hiv pos. he took it off too quickly and disposed of it unusualy fast..didnt see it although i asked to see it. lymph nodes swueled up after a week and a half..groin, neck and armpit no fever or other symptoms..all test for std clean...still with a little pain in the groin but not as bad as before. do you think it might be ars..? that the condom broke and the guy did not want to tell me? this is very scary. if I take a test now with these symptoms will it be positive now? its been more than 2 weeks since incident thanks

Offline RapidRod

Re: terrified
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 08:19:43 pm »
No your tests would not be conclusive or reliable at 2 weeks or a little over. Testing at 3 months post exposure will be conclusive.

Offline scarednanxious

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 08:38:55 pm »
ok..the symptoms started before week 2. is that normal? am I being paranoid? or justifiably scared

Offline scarednanxious

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 08:15:01 am »
ssooo scared

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 08:28:08 am »
When a condom breaks it's a very apparent thing. It's not about some teeny little hole. The whole thing ends up looking like a fringed hoop on the penis of the wearer.

There is nothing HIV-specific about your symptoms. If they persist you need to discuss them with your doctor.

What it really comes down to in this situation is a mix of your anxiety and "what ifs." As in what if it broke, which even though he removed it quickly I suggest it would have been apparent that the condom was broken.

You can do an initial test at 6 weeks. Assuming you get a negative result, (which I think chances are you will), then that is very unlikely to change to positive at 13 weeks. All but the smallest number of those who are going to seroconvert will do so within 4-6 weeks after an exposure to the HIV virus.

Now, in the meantime while waiting to test  you need to get productively busy with other things in your life. That will help you pass the time more easily than you may imagine is possible. And don't say you're too scared to focus on anything else. I can tell you that response won't fly here.

Lastly, using the term "clean" in relation to HIV or other STDs is bad form here on this site. We're talking about a virus and diseases. It's a matter of negative or positive. I know it was unintentional on your part, but to use a term like clean implies that those with a disease or the virus are "dirty." That's insulting to all those living with the virus.

Now, get busy with other things. From what you have reported I expect you are likely to come out of this incident ok.

Cheers.
Andy Velez

Offline scarednanxious

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 11:56:18 am »
Thank you and im really sorry for the unintential harmful note.
Ill try and get busy but its hard when the reminder of the pain exactly where nodes should be is all ever so present..I got a buddy called xanax today. hope helps as well. I took a test yesterday and it was negative it include the p24antigen..I know its way to early but i thout it would give me a few days rest except today i woke up still with the pain in the groin and with a lump under the elbow. That took me to the top of crisis mode.
anyways thanks

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 12:08:48 pm »
scared,

I think you're being a bit paranoid here. Most poz people do not want to infect others and if the condom broke, he most likely would have told you.

As you've tested with the p24 antigen test, it's highly unlikely you've been infected. The p24 antigen would be active and detectable in the time-frame you're talking about. If you get another negative test at six weeks, I wouldn't even bother testing again over this incident because as I've said, I think you're just being paranoid. I don't mean that in a nasty way either, just a factual way.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline scarednanxious

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 12:11:24 pm »
thanks Ann the test was taken at 2.5 weeks

Offline scarednanxious

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2010, 12:16:40 pm »
if the 24 test was positive and the antibody test negative would the orveral interpertaion be negative? i just got a negative overall result

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2010, 12:42:21 pm »
What's your purpose in playing head games with yourself? Nothing good that I can see.

You tested negative on the antigen test, not positive. And you've tested negative so far. Don't you have anything better to do than to bother yourself with what ifs? Cut it out, man.

I expect you to continue to test negative.
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2010, 12:47:03 pm »
scared,

No, if the p24 test was positive but the antibody test negative, chances would be that you are positive. A positive p24 test would have to be confirmed by antibody and Western Blot testing a few weeks later. When a person has been infected, the p24 antigen shows up before the antibodies, but disappears as the antibodies show up.

A negative p24 test result in the first two to four weeks means you are most likely hiv negative, but where there has been a real risk (and it is not clear you had a real risk) a negative p24 result, or a negative antibody test for that matter, would have to be confirmed by antibody testing at three months. Please read through the Testing Lesson linked to in our  Welcome Thread.

As I told you above, you are unlikely to be positive.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline scarednanxious

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2010, 08:39:53 pm »
im sorry for all the paranoid posts..but...I really dont know the lab standards..thats why i asked... I just got result saying hiv 1 and 2 antibody and antigen test..    .13 neg  Ithouhgt I would get a reading for the antigen and another for the antibody. I thought the question was valid.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2010, 08:47:15 pm »
What country are you from?

Offline scarednanxious

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2010, 09:00:20 pm »
colombia .bogota

Offline scarednanxious

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2010, 09:51:54 pm »
what would be a rational explaniation for the lump under the elbow? it doesnt hurt...its just there...it hurt the night before not now

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2010, 09:58:51 pm »
See your doctor if you have a concern.

Offline scarednanxious

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2010, 10:18:59 pm »
RAPID DO YOU NTHINK REALLY IT MIGHT HAVE SOMETHING To DO WITH HIV INFECTION? all urologic problems ruled out. but htere is pain there..now lump in the arm..noticleble.no fever or other symptoms.
the guy i had sex with is fully ignorirng me... not answering my calls or messages. hope im not judged but am married with 3 kids.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2010, 05:37:48 am »
scared,

Elbow lumps have nothing to do with hiv. If you feel unwell, see your doctor. With the negative results you've had so far, plus the fact that it's highly doubtful you even had a risk to begin with, you are highly unlikely to have hiv. So get a grip and stop surfing the internet for things related to hiv. Please re-read your entire thread. Our answers are not going to change.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline scarednanxious

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2010, 07:49:19 pm »
HI I have been feeling a little better except for the groin pain that is on and off, yesterday I had 99.4 fever took a shower and it went down to 97.8, I figure i was just hot from a hot day ( I hope) will get a test done at 4 weeks which is next week and then Ill wait till week 8. Thanks for being here for us who have nobody to talk too.

Offline scarednanxious

Re: terrified-Question
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2010, 03:48:30 pm »
I have read in a website called freedom health from the uk that the combination 4th gen antibody/antigen tests are very reliable after 4 weeks. What is the truth in this? I understand the US does not aprove that test, that the p24 antigen is sensitive but not that sensitive. Is this assertion based on individual assesements of risk of each patient or is it legit? Thanks. Personally I would not feel comfortable until at least a 6 week test.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2010, 04:12:25 pm »
http://www.bhiva.org/documents/Guidelines/Testing/GlinesHIVTest08.pdf
Post-test discussion for individuals who test HIV negative
The need for a repeat HIV test if still within the window period after a specific exposure should be discussed. Although fourth generation tests shorten the time from exposure to seroconversion a repeat test at three months is still recommended to definitively exclude HIV infection.

Offline scarednanxious

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2010, 04:41:14 pm »
got it

Offline scarednanxious

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2010, 12:22:35 pm »
Today, for the first time in 2 weeks i woke up pain free and feeling fine.

Ill try to word this question correctly so as not to be misunderstood:

If the so called symtoms I had the past 2 weeks were indeed related to hiv which have resolved by now...would a test at this time be postive? and if it is negative then those symptoms had nothing to do with seroconversion?

I understand the  guidelines for testing and do not pretend to avoid the window period.
Thank you for your patience and time.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2010, 01:15:33 pm »
13 weeks is the testing point for a conclusive result. Period. You can do an initial test at 6 weeks. If that is negative as I expect yours would be, it's a very good indication that you will continue to test negative.

Keep this issue simple. You're getting way too convoluted about what this or that means.
Andy Velez

Offline scarednanxious

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2010, 03:04:30 pm »
tested negative at 8 weeks. Im cool with the result. Thanks all for everything.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2010, 03:39:36 pm »
THat's a happy result. The likelihood is that you will test negative again at 13 weeks if you choose to do that.
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.