Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:28:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773220
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 591
Total: 594

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: What are the odds?  (Read 4807 times)

Offline whatstheodds

What are the odds?
« on: August 27, 2011, 07:09:38 pm »
I am HIV positive male who recently had vaginal intercourse with my girlfriend it was the first time having sex since I became infected in November of 2010. at the end of intercourse I felt the condom break, I immediately pulled out (less than 5 seconds) I fear that I may have transmitted the virus to my partner. But the lexapro I'm on to control anxiety prevents me from having "pre-cum" and during this intercourse I did not ejaculate. I know there is such thing as no risk and she will be tested in 90 days but would this qualify as a likely source of transmission or a warning that more precautions need to be taken?

Offline RapidRod

Re: What are the odds?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 07:19:04 pm »
You have posted in the wrong forum.

Offline whatstheodds

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 07:21:46 pm »
What forum should this go under?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 07:33:55 pm »
Hi,

There are a couple of choices as to which category to move your thread to. I decided to put it here because this is a concern shared by many living with  HIV and their partners.

The risk of transmission to your gf during this incident is on the low side. It was a single incident without ejaculation and she was protected until the condom broke. From my experience I would say the likelihood is that she is going to test negative at 3 months, which is when she can get a conclusive result. She can if she wishes get tested at 6 weeks because all but the smallest number of those who are going to seroconvert will have done so by that point.

For future reference make sure you are using fresh condoms with water-based lube and ones that fit you properly.

Given what you have reported I think she has a good chance of testing negative.
Andy Velez

Offline whatstheodds

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 07:38:49 pm »
I appreciate it. It took me so long to have sex after learning in Feb 2011 of my infection that once I came to grips my priority was to make sure it ended with me knowing how painful it is and for the first time I have sex to have the condom fail just seems like back luck. My most recent VL was 2,600 and I start meds next month I just feel bad because it only took one exposure for me to become infected so it just makes me that extra paranoid.

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2011, 01:54:22 am »
I don.t think your paranoid , your being responsible / caring
t
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline John2038

• Happiness is a journey, not a destination.
    • HIV Research News (Twitter)
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2011, 11:11:41 am »
Hi whatstheodds,

You are not saying if you have others STDs.

The lower the VL, the lower is the risk.
The Swiss Statement study has estimate the per act infectiosity risk VS. the VL measured in the semens, and the transmission rate per 100 persons per years VS. the HIV-RNA VL.

Note: VL 2600 cp/ml = 3.4 log 10.

As many variables impact the risk and as such it is very difficult to place an exact number or give you exact odds. Globally speaking, estimates range from 1/1'000 to 1/100'000, again depending on variables such as viral load,  STDs, etc. To be noted that the Swiss Study has not identify any cases of transmission when the HIV-RNA was < 400 cp/ml (despite it doesn't means it can't happen).

You may want to read about the PEP (Post-Exposure Prophylaxis) to be taken up to 48h/72h after the risk has happen, the earlier the better.
In particular if your are having other(s) STD(s). The important thing to remember is that it only takes once regardless of the odds. A doc may advice you if you or your partner feel doing so.

Personnally, I would give a call to a doc to get his opinion, and advise. I wouldn't be worried otherwise.

J.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 12:00:01 pm by John2038 »

Offline whatstheodds

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2011, 12:46:44 pm »
I have no other STD's and didn't think to include that in my initial post.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.