Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:23:04 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 381
Total: 382

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Bloody shingles! UPDATE: Post herpetic neuralgia :(  (Read 11479 times)

Offline sweetasmeli

• Love what you are...
Bloody shingles! UPDATE: Post herpetic neuralgia :(
« on: June 28, 2006, 09:56:49 am »
Well, I am getting better - the rash is definitely fading - though I still have a lot of aches and pains and I'm not quite ready to go back to work just yet! I'M SOOOOO BORED!!! I've never had shingles before and can safely say its like nothing else I've experienced! Nada energy! I grated a carrot before and it totally floored me!

Moaning Melia  :'(
« Last Edit: July 01, 2006, 03:18:21 am by sweetasmeli »
/\___/\       /\__/\
(=' . '=)    (=' . '=)
(,,,_ ,,,)/   (,,,_ ,,,)/ Cats rule!

The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs come when called, whereas cats take a message and get back to you.

Yeia kai hara (health and happiness) to everyone!

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
Re: Bloody shingles!
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2006, 10:43:36 am »
Hi Melia

I empathize with you, honey.   The pain from shingles is like nothing else, it's difficult to describe it to someone who has never had them.    When my last episode occurred in 2004, I thought I was having a heart attack.   It took me several months to completely recover.  Taking a shower was torture (mine were around the left side of my upper torso).

Hope your recovery is speedy !

Love & 'gentle' hugs,

Alan

"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline david25luvit

• Member since March 2005
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2006, 12:25:28 pm »
Poor baby....I feel for you sweetie.  BIG HUG :-*  Shingles are definitely NO FUN as you well know.

Hope you feel better soon ;)
In Memory of
Raymond David McRae III
Nov. 25, 1972- Oct. 15, 2004
I miss him terribly..........

Offline RobT

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2006, 10:42:02 pm »
Hope that u feel better! Having shingles is indeed torture.

RobT

9/27/2005-1st test results
Viral Load >1,000,000
CD4 204
CD4%age 18
CD4/CD8 ratio .23
11/24/2005- Sustiva/Truvada
04/18/2006
Viral Load 140
CD4 402
CD4%age .21
CD4/CD8 ratio .39

06/27/2006
Viral Load 42
CD4 409
CD4%age .21
Next appt.-07/11/2007 (lab)
Current meds: Atripla
VL: undetectable
CD4: 630

Offline sweetasmeli

• Love what you are...
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2006, 03:26:25 am »
Thanks for your kind wishes Alan/David/Rob

Mine are around the right side of upper torso. My right boob is sooooo sore! :o

One of the reasons I dragged myself back from the UK last week was cos the weather was so crap over there and I just wanted to get back to some sunshine. But BIG mistake methinks! Its only 10am and the temperature here today is already about 35 degrees! Tis not helping my discomfort...melting melting melting...WAAAHHHH!!! :'(

A very uncomfy Melia
/\___/\       /\__/\
(=' . '=)    (=' . '=)

The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs come when called, whereas cats take a message and get back to you.

Offline maddeuwch

• Po callaf y dyn,anamlaf ei eiriau.
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2006, 03:34:02 am »
Get well soon Melia...and keep cool.

Big HUGS from Paul...(in rainy Scotland).
Po callaf y dyn,anamlaf ei eiriau...(i need to remember that sometimes)!

Offline Nadine

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2006, 07:10:28 am »
I hope that you feel better real soon Melia

((gentle hugs))

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2006, 08:05:50 am »
I've never had shingles before and can safely say its like nothing else I've experienced!
Moaning Melia 

Hello Melia,

I know exactly what your going through. My hernia surgery was less painful then the shingles. 12 hours after hernia surgery, and it felt as though someone swung a baseball bat at my testicles ( sorry for being graphic, but  shingles was more painful then that. OUCH !! :o

Glad you are on the mend

Take care----Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline doyourowndamndishes

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2006, 01:21:29 pm »
Hi Melia,

Sorry to hear about the Shingles.  Even though I don't know exactly what it's like to go through what you are suffering with (I've been very fortunate not to get them, yet!) I have many friends who have had multiple bouts so I feel for you.

Here's to a quick recovery!

Cheers,

Alan
"All that we are is theresult of what we have thought." -Buddha

Offline Val

• Praxitèles -- Satyre au repos
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2006, 03:29:40 pm »
Me happy Melia back! 
Take care, honey!
Val
___
___
Arthus Bertrand
http://www.yannarthusbertrand.com/yann2/affichage.php?reference=TVDC%20YABFR084&pais=France
Ali Mahdavi
http://asyoudesireme.online.fr/index.htm
Richard de Chazal
http://www.richarddechazal.com/
Daniel Nassoy
http://www.danielnassoy.com/pages/galeries_portraits_2.html
Photography:
The word comes from the Greek words φως phos ("light"), and γραφίς graphis ("stylus", "paintbrush") or γραφή graphê, together meaning "drawing with light" or "representation by means of lines".

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2006, 05:00:43 pm »
Melia,

I have stayed away from this thread like the plague that is the Shingles.  The excruciating memories are with me 12 years later, and each time I read the title of the thread, I just kept on cruising.  Sorry Melia, your Moffie is a huge Pussy when it comes to the shingles, they are pure hell.

So, to make up for my tardiness, I want to send you some flowers from my yard this spring.  These are the blossoms of the Desert Willow.

I hope the flowers bring you some happiness, and I trust you are healing.

In Love and Support

[attachment deleted by admin]
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline eirin

• Member since March 2005
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2006, 05:15:36 pm »
Hope that the pain and itching goes away real soon!

Gentle hugs
 :-*

Offline Lou-ah-vull

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2006, 05:52:31 pm »
I am just now getting over my second attack of shingles.  This time I was off work for almost two weeks and the pain did not subside significantly until the fourth week.  The doctor used this occasion to decide it was time to start HAART (six weeks ago.)  All I can do is commiserate with you... if you are like most of us, the pain and the tingling will subside, although every now and then my nerves (thats where the damn virus really is) give me a reminder.  This will pass...hang in there!

Gary

:D
Diagnosed Oct. 2005
10/05:  367 (26.2%), 24556 VL
01/06:  344 (24.6%), 86299 VL
04/06:  374 (22.0%), 87657 VL
05/06:  Began HAART 05/15/06, Combivir/Kaletra
07/06:  361 (27.8%), 1299 VL
10/06:  454 (32.4%), 55 VL
01/07:  499 (38.4%), UD
02/07:  Switched to Atripla 2/8/07
04/07:  566 (37.7%), UD
08/07:  761 (42.3%), UD
06/08:  659 (47.1%), UD
01/09:  613 (43.8%), UD
07/09:  616 (47.4%), UD
01/10:  530 (44.2%), UD
07/10:  636 (48.9%), UD
01/11:  627 (48.2%), UD
07/11:  840 (52.5%), UD
01/12:  920 (51.1%), UD
07/12:  857 (50.4%), 40
10/12:  UD
01/13:  710 (47.3%), UD
07/13:  886 (49.2%), UD
01/14:  985 (46.9%), UD
06/14:  823 (47.2%), UD
01/15: 1366 (45.2%), UD
07/15: 1134 (50.7%), UD
02/16: 1043 (55.1%), UD
08/16:  746  (55.4%), UD
08/16:  Switch from Atripla to Genvoya

Offline sweetasmeli

• Love what you are...
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2006, 03:38:49 am »
Thanks everyone for your ongoing get well wishes. Truely appreciated! :)

Paul (Maddeuwch)
Raining in Scotland, really??? Shock horror! :o ;D

Val
Me happy Melia back!
C'est tres gentil Val, merci! :)

Tim
Glad you plucked up the courage to read my post! Thank you for the beautiful flowers! I would never call you a pussy...more a big pussycat! I await my pm young man... ;)

Gary (Lou-ah-vull)
Commiserations from me too! Glad you're getting over yours now! It's been 2 weeks for me now, but the way the pain still feels I'm guessing that won't be going anywhere any time soon! :( Am going back to work tomorrow though...it's not hard work, only a few hours a day sat on my tushy in my friend's tourist shop...I have to, I'm going out of my head with boredom!

Melia
(who is still aching but determined to get out of the damn house today!) 
« Last Edit: June 30, 2006, 03:46:09 am by sweetasmeli »
/\___/\       /\__/\
(=' . '=)    (=' . '=)

Offline sweetasmeli

• Love what you are...
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2006, 10:20:07 am »
I have post herpetic neuralgia! WAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!! :'(

The aches I woke up with have been getting worse all day to the point where I cannot get comfortable for more than 3 seconds at a time! I spoke with my consultant in the UK - he said that's what it is. He has recommended anything with codeine but I think codeine is banned in Greece (I read it in one of my guides). He also recommended something called Capsaicin, a cream/paste made from peppers. It's meant to be very good. Has anyone tried it? If so do you know any brand names for me to look for? I am going to try the village pharmacy this evening but I doubt I will have any luck....

I'm so tired of bloody aching so much all the time! I cant sit down, I cant lie down, I can't stand up! WAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!! :'(

Back to moaning Melia :(
/\___/\       /\__/\
(=' . '=)    (=' . '=)

Offline Teresa

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2006, 12:04:17 pm »
HI

My name is Teresa..its nice to meet you. Everytime i read a post and theres something i have never heard of i always look it up on the internet.  While i was looking up what herpetic neuralgia i came across this site. Dont know if it will help but i thought you could check it out.

www.painbreak.com

Hope you get some relief soon.

Hugs
Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline JohnOso

Sweetheart,

I have yet to have the shingles/herpatic neuralgia (i'm waiting my turn, believe me), but I wish you a quicker than speedy recovery.

Take care,
John
(who wishes Melia was moaning for alll the right reasons   ;))

Offline Dachshund

Poor Melia,

I had my bout with shingles....right after testing poz. I am afraid my dear the neuralgia will only abate with time. The shingles damage the nerve endings, so creams or pastes don't really help. Demand pain pills...it might be the only way you get relief. Hang in there, it will get better, but it does take time. I am so sorry you have to endure shingles, and wish you the best.

Hal

Offline Duude

• VANS Warped Tour Kicked ASS
Hi Melia,
     I truly hope you feel better very soon.  I'm not sure what you have access to, but duragesic patches will help and nuerontin would be the most likely course of treatment.  Take care of yourself.
duuude

Offline rocket

Melia,I hope you get over this soon.This is such a strange thing these shingles.I get a bout usually every summer and it wraps around my abdomin.It is usually on my right side but this spring for the first time I got it on my left side.Any position hurts and its so constant,its like these nerve endings have a mind of their own. >:(

Offline sweetasmeli

• Love what you are...
Re: Bloody shingles! UPDATE: Post herpetic neuralgia :(
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2006, 03:33:11 am »
I have codeine. ;D
No joy with the capsaicin yet but I'll see what the codeine does first...I hate taking tablets but oh well, needs must sometimes!

I'm going back to work today. I'm still aching but I'm going stir crazy stuck at home all day...I had enough of that in the winter! Plus its not hard work, I'm helping some friends out in their shop for the summer, quiet afternoon shift while everyones at the beach. Gives me time to read/study/brush up on my Greek. My logic is I'm uncomfortable anyway, I may as well be getting paid for being uncomfortable!

Thanks again for all your kind get well wishes and advice guys and gals!

Melia :)
/\___/\       /\__/\
(=' . '=)    (=' . '=)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.