Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:13:45 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 391
Total: 391

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: In-Equality in the State of Florida and others......  (Read 4137 times)

Offline newbernswiss

In-Equality in the State of Florida and others......
« on: July 16, 2007, 01:58:30 pm »
In 1997 the Florida Legislature passed the Denfense of Marriage Act, limiting marriage to heterosexual couples. This law proclaims the term MARRIAGE means only a legal union between one man and one woman. Same sex couples sometimes have religious and civil ceremonies to celebrate their commitments, but the state of Florida does not recognize their relationship.
You would think that anti-gay groups, and some reliigious groups would be satisfied with this law defining marriage. Of course they  are not and want more. The anti-gay group Florida4Marriage is pushing hard to have a ballot placed on the 2008 November election. Now they want Floridians to vote on whether same sex couples have a right to a civil union. What does this mean for the GLBT population of Florida? The proposed amendment  would ban domestic-partnership benefits such as health insurance that are offered to employees in the public sector.  This has already happened in 2004 in Michigan. Of course those of us who have our partners on our health plans would lose those valuable benefits...and you know what that could mean with those living with HIV.
I don't understand why so-called Christians have such hate in their hearts toward others who differ in beliefs or living arrangements. Where is the love, compassion, caring, the rights for all people to live freely...I personally don't care how one worships, lives with, as long as they do no harm to others. These religious groups, and other groups are doing harm to others...they hate GLBT people, and they hate others who don't believe and live as they do.
I hope the admendment does not pass. It will affect all GLBT people especially those with HIV who live in a domestic partnership relationship with benefits. Please get out and vote against such hate.

Offline pozattitude

• Enjoy
    • to find out more about me....
Re: In-Equality in the State of Florida and others......
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 02:05:44 pm »
I know what you mean.  I am a Florida native, but I have to say that lately, specially since 2000, I am ashamed of being from FL.
I also don't get the christian agenda, where does it say Hate your neighbor?  I thought Jesus taught tolerance and love.
I had a very disturbing encouter with one of those christians just this weekend..you can read about it on my post about the San Francisco AIDS walk I posted today.

The American people need to get out and vote.  You will be surprised to find out that the majority of Americans are not ignorant and intolerant, quite the contrary, but we are apathetic about voting and the far right is very effective in make sure they get their people to vote.
We need to take action and vote!

Rich
(who has gotten into ugly fights with friends and family for not voting)
POSITIVE PEDALERS... We are a group of people living with HIV/AIDS, eliminating stigma through our positive public example.

Offline newbernswiss

Re: In-Equality in the State of Florida and others......
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 01:28:07 pm »
I had to start my own blog spot on this subject...

www.gclinton.blogspot.com

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.