Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 01:57:40 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 183
Total: 183

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: 15% would you start HAART? TCells at 411 and VL about 25,000  (Read 6599 times)

Offline bimazek

15% would you start HAART? TCells at 411 and VL about 25,000
« on: November 20, 2007, 04:15:45 pm »
15% would you start HAART?  TCells at 411 and VL about 25,000

was at 24% a year ago
then 23% then 19%
now 15%

isnt the % kind of unreliable

cause my cd4 cells stayed the same

Dr. says i can wait for 3 more months

was infected 24 months ago

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: 15% would you start HAART? TCells at 411 and VL about 25,000
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 04:35:55 pm »
You should start medications and not in 3 months.

MtD

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 06:28:48 pm »
Dr. says i can wait for 3 more months

was infected 24 months ago

Unless I'm unclear about your post, it sounds to me like your Dr. is basically saying you should start meds  (Because 3 months flies by in an eyeblink. Just my view)

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 06:33:51 pm »
If your CD4 is over/about 400 (1) retest (2) start if you wish -- both are valid calls

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline risred1

• My Source for Supps - www.newyorkbuyersclub.org
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2007, 08:23:19 pm »
If you looking at the guideline that encourages meds at cd4 of 350 and/or VL at 100k, Which is the guideline I will be using, I would wait and retest in 3 months to see as there is fluctuation.

If you are inclined to use 500 as the line, then why would you wait since your already under 500 CD4.

This is a bit tricky, but you have to pick your formula with your doctor and when its time, do what needs to be done. It isn't like your going to be able to wait, as I won't, for the superior treatment for todays effective front line meds.

Unless your going to be able to get into a study with one of these super immune boosting or vaccine based or the new RNA altering meds, which even if bears fruit are at least 2-3 years away from production, your probably going to have to pick something that is in use today. I am not aware of anything really new coming out in the next 12 months worth waiting for. (?) We will get some study results, but from study results, its still take a fair amount of time for release of new drugs. Even then, most of these new treatments are approved for those with resistance, with continuing study to determine their durability so that they can be considered for front line treatment.

For example, when i was first taking to my doc about meds about 2 years ago, I was very interested in Reyataz. My doc was less enthusiastic as there wasn't enough study information to prove to him that the treatment was a durable as Kaletra or Sustiva based treatment. After 2 years, he has a good number of folks on Reyataz and it is working well for the patients who are taking it. For someone like me with lipid issues, Reyataz is favored based upon my discussion with my Doc.

So something like Isentess, even though it looks pretty good, is only for those with resistance, because there isn't much information on use as front line treatment and equally little information on durability. In other words, there are new drugs out there that have not been in circulation long enough to be recommended over current treatments which have proven their durability.

We can expect the emerging treatments to be looked at in the same light. These new promising treatments still have to prove themselves long term. Since we have what is considered tolerable new treatments that are durable, its going to take time to knock them off that perch. If one is able to control ones HIV on a treatment line for even several years, one might be inclined to stick with that treatment, if tolerable and effective, while the new treatments prove themselves.

My expectation is that you and I will be on a currently recommended front line treatment and wait until something that is so compelling and proven would push us off of treatment or if resistance develops.

All my best!

risred1 - hiv +
02/07 CD4 404 - 27% - VL 15k
10/07 CD4 484 - 31% - VL 45k
05/08 CD4 414 - 26% - VL 70k
01/09 CD4 365 - 23% - VL 65k
05/09 CD4 291 - 23% - VL 115k - Started Meds - Reyataz/Truvada
06/09 CD4 394 - ?% - VL 1200 - Boosted Reyataz with Norvir and Truvada
07/09 CD4 441 - ?% - VL 118 - Boosted Reyataz with Norvir and Truvada
09/09 CD4 375 - ?% - VL Undetectable - Boosted Reyataz with Norvir and Truvada
12/09 CD4 595 - ?% - VL Undetectable - VIT D 34 - Reyataz/Truvada/Norvir

Offline sacinsc

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2007, 09:14:58 pm »
MY ID doc, doesn't even bother with the %, he says its not important really. I get it off my labs so I can post it here because many want to know them. I would say go back for another test in 1 month and see whats happening. I started these meds a month ago, now at night I look at them before I swallow and think about how im on these for the rest of my life. Try and stay off them as long as you can, thats just my opinion for what its worth. But my doc has told me the % is no longer looked at as important. When I dropped below CD4 400 he was going to start me then. Your viral load is load to.....I would just test in a month. But whatever you decide good luck.

Matt
March 07 - Negative
May 07 - Exposed
June 07 - Seroconversion
September 07 - CD4 402 VL 118000 25%
October 07 -     CD4 294 VL 124000 22%
November 07 - Norvir, Triuvada and Reyataz
December 07 -  CD4 355 VL  550 .... guess the meds are working.
January 08 - CD4 446 VL <48 undetectable!
April 08 - CD4 554 VL <48 undetectable!
July 08 - CD4 666 VL <48 undetectable! Hporay...I have devil CD4's

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.