Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:11:03 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 342
Total: 342

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Lymphoma  (Read 3008 times)

Offline mikeyb39

Lymphoma
« on: March 05, 2013, 11:44:13 pm »
Anybody ever worry about this.  I was reading below article from the body website, ''ask the doctors' section.  I didn't really think Lymphoma was an AIDS defining issue especially if you are just HIV positive.  below is the question and answer  Either way it seems a little scary.

Son died
Feb 24, 2013

In september i found out my son had HIV he said that he has had it since 2010. In september he started to have a plueral effussion and had to get drained in the beginning twice a week and then once a week until one day in January when i took him in they told me that they could not drain him because his sodium level was low. so the following day i took him to the ER because he was having shortness of breath. They admitted him and got drained that following Monday ( got admitted on Sat.) They ended up keeping longer because they said that after his blood work came back they found that he was low on protein, mag, sodium, and other stuff. So that Tuesday night he started bleeding really bad from his rectum and started to vomit blood. They did an endoscopy and they found nothing. Prior to this they had done a Liver biobsy, too because they kept saying that he had lymphoma they transfused 2 units of blood and transfered him to the ICU because he was really weak. Then they took him into surgery to try and correct the plueral effussion and he just went downhill from there and never recovered and passed away. The doctors said that it was all because of his underlying problem of the AIDS but my son went into the hospital having only HIV. Could the AIDS have occured because of the surgery? There are just so many unanswered questions that i think they are covering up something.

Response from Dr. Henry

Very sorry to hear about your son's illness and death. Lymphoma is an AIDS defining condition that is often very often difficult to treat often with many challenging complications such as some that your son unfortunately experienced. AIDS patients with lymphoma sometimes dont do well even in the best hospitals. KH
11/02/2010  cd4-251, vl-591000
12/09/2010  started Atripla
02/18/2011  cd4-425, vl-800
06/10/2011  cd4-447, vl-70
10/10/2011  cd4-666, vl-80
01/05/2012  swiched med (prezista,norvir ,isentress, )
02/10/2012  cd4-733, vl-UD  Viread removed
06/10/2012  cd4-614, vl-UD
12/14/2012  cd4-764, vl-UD
09/01/2013  cd4-785, vl-UD
03/06/2014. cd4- 1078, VL-UD
09/05/2014  cd4-850 , VL-UD
09/05/2014 switched meds isentress, prezcobix -still only two antivirals
10/14/2015  cd4-600 , VL-UD

Offline tednlou2

Re: Lymphoma
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 12:32:56 am »
I happened to read that a few days ago.  I have a friend from high school, who has non-hodgkins lymphoma.  He wasn't feeling well, and had swollen nodes.  He went through one round of chemo/treatment.  They thought they had it.  But, he is now going through more.  My other friend is a student nurse.  He has a fellow student nurse, who was following a doc around.  The doc noticed how out of breath she was, as she is not heavy at all.  He recommended testing.  She has Hodgkin's lymphoma.  As far as I know, neither has HIV. 

It is something I think about from time to time.  Earlier last year, I got a big, painless lump pop up in my armpit.  Of course, I did what everyone says you shouldn't do.  I began googling.  I was reading how painless nodes are the ones to watch.  Just prior to a scheduled biopsy, the large node/mass went down.  I can still feel a couple pea-sized nodes in my armpit.  I also have a couple painless ones in my neck and under my chin.  They may have been there all along.  I lost 20 pounds on purpose, and could feel them.  So, I think the extra pounds prevented me from feeling them before. 

So, I was concerned at first, but I think obviously from HIV.  It was the painless part that worried me.  When I was infected, they were very sore.  Ached so bad.  But, I suppose with HIV, they won't always be painful. 

Offline texaninnyc87

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 12:58:47 am »
Now i'm worried about it.
Dxd: 9/11/12
Blot confirmed: 11/12
12/12 cd4: 280 (20%) vl: 129,000
1/13 $tribild
2/13 cd4: 350 (26%) vl: 80
4/13 cd4: 510 (29%) vl:: 35
6/13cd4 350 (31%) vl: 21
9/13 cd4 492 (30%) vl: ud
12/13 cd4 846 (36%) vl: 100
1/14 cd4 480 (31%) vl: UD
3/14 cd4 650 (33%) vl: UD
6/14 cd4 410 (35%) vl: UD
9/14 cd4 439 (38%) vl: UD
12/14 cd4 551 (37%) vl: UD

Offline buginme2

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 12:02:40 pm »
I've thought about it but I'm not necessarily worried about.  It makes sense that blood cancers are more common in HIV positive people.  After all, cd4 cells are a type of white blood cell. If they are being killed off and the body has to rev up production of  them and other white  blood cells to combat it after awhile errors are going to happen. 

I remember reading that even with the advent of HAART that the rates of lymphoma hasn't come down in HIV positive people they way you would expect.  Lymphoma is easier to treat in the early stages so being somewhat cognizant of it may be worthwhile.

Here is something from the AIDSmeds site about it

Can lymphoma be prevented?

No, not at the present time. Researchers are still trying to figure out which HIV-positive patients are at the highest risk for developing lymphoma, along with the underlying cause of this form of cancer. Once more research is generated, it is likely the preventative therapies will be tested and recommended.
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline RobbyR

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 06:01:28 pm »
It's rather scary, as any cancer is. I particularly worry about HPV-related anal cancers, because it can come back to haunt you years after you stopped more risky sexual behaviors, and come out of nowhere. I guess all we can do is be very proactive about our health and be informed, and ask to be screened if this is possible. HPV is scary as hell, it can stay in the body and lie dormant for years and then raise its ugly head and cause symptoms. And there's so many damn types of it. With HARRT treatments largely controlling the infectious angle of HIV now, I think a major focus should be on understanding and implementing routine, aggressive screening and testing on HIV patients of all cd4 counds for any number of cancers so as to catch them early. This has to be a focus!
"I survived because I was tougher than anybody else".--Bette Davis

Atripla
2010-2015

Stribild
2015-2016

Genvoya
2016-

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.