Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:02:59 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 391
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 359
Total: 359

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Neurological problems in early HIV infection  (Read 6546 times)

Offline PeteNYNJ

• When life gives you AIDS...make LemonAIDS!
    • Dance for Me, Puppets
Neurological problems in early HIV infection
« on: June 26, 2006, 01:14:09 pm »
Hello Everyone

I hope you all had a nice weekend. 

I wanted to know if any of you experienced any Neurological problems early in your infection?  I have noticed over the past two weeks that my hands and feet have been having pins and needles on an off.  My vision in my right eye is also blurry on and off.  This weekend I started to drop things and felt clumsy.  I have a doctor's appointment Thursday and I will certainly bring this all up - just wondering if this happend to anyone else.

I tested positive in late October, likely I was infected in late August.  My labs have been pretty good so far.  Last round was VL in the 20Ks and Tcells around 800  % was normal.   

Thanks
Pete

Offline doyourowndamndishes

Re: Neurological problems in early HIV infection
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2006, 01:17:43 pm »
Hi Pete,

Sorry I can not be of much help to you.  It does sound odd to be getting these type of effects this early on in disease progression especially since your numbers are fine.  It's good to hear that you have made an appointment with your doctor to discuss these things.  Keep in touch and let us know how things work out!

Cheers,

Alan

"All that we are is theresult of what we have thought." -Buddha

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2006, 01:28:16 pm »
HI Pete.... 
Seems unlikely given your numbers you should be experiencing any problems related to the virus at this stage...  Take a note pad when you see your doctor and have these jotted down..  Are you taking any anti-exiety stuff???

Love
« Last Edit: June 26, 2006, 01:58:57 pm by Eric »

Offline angels4kelly

• IT JUST IS!!.....OKAY!
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2006, 01:58:51 pm »
Hi Pete,
I didn't suffer any neurological problems early on in my HIV. I was diagnosed 16 years ago. But about 8 years ago my right eye started feeling strange and then I just had a total "blowout" in that eye and am now completely blind in the right eye. Then 6 years ago I had a massive stroke in my Cerebellum and several T.I.A.'s (transient ischemic attacks)in several other parts of my brain.
My Neurologist says that sometimes "long term" survivors of HIV have weakened vessels in their brain. This allows for the blood to break through in some places. He calls it "Chronic Vascular Disease"
Have no fear though, this doesn't necessarily happen to everyone.

Peace,
angels4kelly 8)
POSITIVE SINCE-10/1990
CD4-610
CD4%-29.3
VL-UNDETECTABLE
VIREAD,VIRACEPT, EPZICOM

MOST RECENT...
10/9/2006
CD4's-714
CD4%-30%
VL-Undetectable
DIAGNOSES POSITIVE 10/90
SAME MEDS, VIREAD, VIRAMUNE, EPZICOM.

SHOOT FOR THE MOON! YOU MAY MISS,
BUT YOU'LL LAND IN THE STARS :)

Knowing others is intelligence;
knowing yourself is true wisdom.
Mastering others is strength;
mastering yourself is true power.

Failure is not in falling down,
but the staying down

Offline Rob - Dublin

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2006, 02:25:30 pm »
Hi Pete,

I can relate to what you say. Since being infected in January I had pins and needles in my left arm on and off, a funny sensation underneath in my right foot and what seems like a black shadow sometimes when I turn my eye left to right. I also has some muscular problems with nerve like pain in my shoulder and neck.

Now, pins and needles are gone, so too is the foot problem. The eye problem is still there and I am seeing my 'eye boy' on Thursday about it. (my eyesight usually improves after a visit to this guy!). Muscular problems are possible to do with posture as opposed to anything else.

Dont know if that is of any help at all.

Rob
14 Dec 2005 Tested Neg
21 Jan 2006 Infected
09 May 2006 Tested Poz
29 May 2006 CD4 551  (33%) VL 21,000
10 July 2006 CD4 632  (34%) VL 24,500

......when i'm good, i'm very good - when i'm bad i'm even better......

Dream as if you will live forever - Live as if you will die today.....

Offline DCGuy511

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2006, 03:59:37 pm »
I have not experienced any problems similar to yours, but I know someone who did.   He and I both joined AidsMeds around the same time. He had a lot of problems with peripheral neuropathy. Perhaps this post isn't even helpful since that is all I know, sorry.  I'd ask your doctor about it. It may not be related to the virus.

Steve
Infected/Diagnosed Fall 2003
"No Man Is An Island" - J Donne

Offline dane7484

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2006, 03:59:48 pm »
I had the same symptoms but didn't experience them until my CD4 count went way down. I went on the meds and the symptoms have since subsided. Hope it works out that way for you too.

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2006, 07:28:28 pm »
Hello Pete,

I am only speaking for myself. In my 20 years of dealing with HIV, I never had any kind of neurological problems, until I had started on medication. It may have been medication related, virus related , or a combination of both. And those problems started a few months into therapy. For me, it started with the pins and needles in the feet and hands, and eventually progressed to PN. I am not saying, that that is what is happenning in your case. I also had an MRI done, as I was having Cervical spine  (neck ) problems, in the c-5 and c-6...If I remember rightly. Also had a nerve function test done, to check for neurological problems, that may have been occurring. The MRI lasted about a half hour, and the nerve function also lasted about a half an hour long.

Make sure to mention, things to your doctor.

The Best----Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Eldon

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2006, 07:33:06 pm »
Naw, it's been 16 years and never had that happen to me. Thank God.

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2006, 02:07:27 am »
My first doc said she thought the viral meningitis I was diagnosed with in June 1980 was an acute reaction to my seroconversion.

Apparently, some people have very adverse reactions to initial infection and she thought I was one of them. Unfortunately, those who suffer these types of responses also tended to be short-term survivors. I wasn't, so who knows.

Aside from that, I now have the tingling in my feet, but it is neuropathy caused by the meds and maybe the HIV as well. But it wasn't early on.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.