Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:38:47 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773209
  • Total Topics: 66337
  • Online Today: 581
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 534
Total: 535

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: HIV pen pals papers (grading)  (Read 8407 times)

Offline Cliff

HIV pen pals papers (grading)
« on: August 01, 2006, 02:04:25 pm »
Does anyone have suggestions for the reviewing the pen pal papers?  I believe we are suppose to give a grade for the papers, but I'm not sure what to base this grade on or have something to compare it to.  Any guidance?

Offline angels4kelly

• IT JUST IS!!.....OKAY!
Re: HIV pen pals papers (grading)
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 02:22:51 pm »
Cliff,
Would you mind explaining to me what the "HIV PEN PALS" is please?

Peace ;D
POSITIVE SINCE-10/1990
CD4-610
CD4%-29.3
VL-UNDETECTABLE
VIREAD,VIRACEPT, EPZICOM

MOST RECENT...
10/9/2006
CD4's-714
CD4%-30%
VL-Undetectable
DIAGNOSES POSITIVE 10/90
SAME MEDS, VIREAD, VIRAMUNE, EPZICOM.

SHOOT FOR THE MOON! YOU MAY MISS,
BUT YOU'LL LAND IN THE STARS :)

Knowing others is intelligence;
knowing yourself is true wisdom.
Mastering others is strength;
mastering yourself is true power.

Failure is not in falling down,
but the staying down

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 02:26:30 pm »
And why they are graded?  I dont do well in school.  Im always better at the tests I SWEAR!!! 

OH MY GOD, im panicing, is there a test today?  Did I study enough?  SHIT am I going to get into college?

Seriously, whats wrong with me?  I know I can do better, is there extra credit?

MELI I may need some tutoring!
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline david25luvit

• Member since March 2005
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 02:38:00 pm »
Yes Cliff...

You're grading them on content.  They were suppose to write a paper about YOU.  Was the information correct?  Did they manage to capture you and your life's story?  Was the information they offered accurate and correct?   I gave mine a 98.  I actually teared up at my own life's story........I'm such a wuss.  I also contacted Teach and Linda....sharing my "thoughts" on their papers.

For those who don't know what Cliff's talking about...see my thread" Volunteers Needed...Pen Pals Are Fun"
In Memory of
Raymond David McRae III
Nov. 25, 1972- Oct. 15, 2004
I miss him terribly..........

Offline Trish

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006, 02:45:30 pm »
Hey Cliff,

According to Teach (Sharon) we are to give a grade up to 100%.  She said that we are to base this grade on how well the student captured "us" in their paper from what we have written in our emails to them.  Also, we are base it on how long the emails were, whether full emails or half emails, and if they shared anything about themselves in their emails to us.

This is what I did... my penpal sent me much info about her, as well as asked me many questions about my life, most relating to HIV and my experiences of living with it.  I answered her questions as best I could and from her final paper she captured me very well.  Her emails were full ones, for the most part.  After reading her paper, I suggested a few things that she left out and pointed out typos.  But all in all, her paper was on the money.  I graded her with a 95.  She deserved it and I felt comfortable giving her that mark.

I understand that it is not easy to grade something like this, but I guess it depends on your comfortability in the grade you give.  Did your penpal's paper capture you from what you wrote?  Did he/she share their life with you?  And did they send full or half emails?  Coming up with a grade was difficult, but like I said, I felt comfortable giving the grade I did based on what Sharon told us to do.  Hope this helps.

Maybe someone else will have something more for you... this is the best I could do.

Good luck,

Trish
"People grow through experience if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is buit."  Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline kcmetroman

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2006, 02:52:46 pm »
Kelly,

The penpals are students at the University of Central Florida in a Health class.  Many of us joined as penpals and communicated with a student.  It was very interesting, AND I made a friend

Offline angels4kelly

• IT JUST IS!!.....OKAY!
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2006, 02:59:30 pm »
Thank you, kcmetroman ;D
That sounds really interesting and I am so happy that you made a friend!
We certainly can use as many of those as we can get! 8)

Peace :)
your friend,
Kelly
POSITIVE SINCE-10/1990
CD4-610
CD4%-29.3
VL-UNDETECTABLE
VIREAD,VIRACEPT, EPZICOM

MOST RECENT...
10/9/2006
CD4's-714
CD4%-30%
VL-Undetectable
DIAGNOSES POSITIVE 10/90
SAME MEDS, VIREAD, VIRAMUNE, EPZICOM.

SHOOT FOR THE MOON! YOU MAY MISS,
BUT YOU'LL LAND IN THE STARS :)

Knowing others is intelligence;
knowing yourself is true wisdom.
Mastering others is strength;
mastering yourself is true power.

Failure is not in falling down,
but the staying down

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2006, 03:19:03 pm »

The first semester I participated in this, I gave the student 100% because she really deserved it. This semester, the student I was assigned broke her leg and had to drop the course. I'm eagerly waiting my next pen pal.

I posted where you can find more details about this pen pal program in David's thread, so if you're interested, check it out!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline cph9680

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2006, 04:31:29 pm »
That's a very cool idea.  Hopefully the students were able to learn something from the people they wrote to.

I'd be interested in doing this, but I don't know how beneficial I'd be.  I've been POS for 5 years and am still as healthy as I've ever been, am not on meds or anything, so I don't know how much I could help teach someone without having actually been through everything that most people have been through.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 04:35:54 pm by cph9680 »

Offline Ithaca_Nights

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2006, 04:47:31 pm »
I also had a great time doing this.  I gave mine 100%, she really listened and wrote a paper from the heart that did capture me.  I think this is a great thing to do and hope others on here will share with a student about HIV and there lives.  I truely made a good friend doing this and will be doing it again in the future. :)

Offline Cliff

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2006, 04:54:24 pm »
Thanks!  This helps me a great deal.

Cliff

Offline kentb

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2006, 06:02:52 pm »
I enjoyed this project too!   unfortunately my pen pal became pregnant and dropped at the very end.  But I have signed up for another student this fall.

Kent

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2006, 06:07:14 pm »
I have not received an essay about me :). Had some pleasant emails though, but my pen pal honestly seemed to run out of stuff to ask early on. Not sure how I should grade.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.