Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 12:12:06 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773263
  • Total Topics: 66345
  • Online Today: 91
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 88
Total: 88

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Get yourself a pet and buy some music too!  (Read 5372 times)

Offline Amosboy

• Music is the panacea.
Get yourself a pet and buy some music too!
« on: December 13, 2006, 10:13:44 am »
I just wanted to let everyone know around here that having a pet is a great way to nurture something outside of yourself.  It is another reason to get out of bed and they rarely disappoint and love unconditionally.  Anyone who knows me well, knows that I am crazy about two things:  my CD collection and my cats...hmmm...how many cats do I have?  Ten.  And I promise you will not ever smell any cat poo or pee in my house.  Think about it. I'd have to be a little OCD to have that many cats, and I'd have to own a damn good vacuum cleaner as well (Oreck...I swear by it)...and I have to be OCD about cleaning as well.  That's a yes, to all of the above.  My partner splits the poop scooping duty with me...and don't forget to wear your gloves...no toxoplasmosis for me, thank you.  I have been banned from going to the animal shelter and the local PetSmart on Saturdays by my other half.  You can't save them all.

Our latest little guy "Chester" is missing from the picture...a rescue from the Katrina catastrophe.  He gets his own picture, as he has issues about missing his tail...he is a Manx, I assume, or just lost it somewhere in the storm.

And now for the music obsession.  Yes, as a retired aka "tired" DJ from the 80s, I have a wall full of CDs and continue to buy music when I get a spare buck or two.  I love to sift through the bins of the used CD store.  We have a great one in Charlotte, NC called Manifest.  I have around 7,000 CDs and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to swap compilation and/or continuously mixed CDs with friends.  If anyone is interested, let me know.  I have recently gotten my turntables out and they are smokin' again.  I am in the process of transferring my vinyl over to my computer, which is a painstaking process but worth the effort in my opinion, especially since some the 12" mixes never (officially) made it to CD  :P

(and yes, swede-dish, your CD is on the way!  ;D)

Talk to me about music and you will be a friend for life...I just can't get enough and I find it to be just as important as the meds I ingest every day.  I like it all:  80s dance, 80s pop, industrial, new wave, ebm, electroclash, acoustic, solo piano, house and jungle, classical, jazz, "old school rap" a la J.J. Fad and Salt-N-Pepa, 70s disco, 80s heavy metal, trance, country (love some Dolly Parton), etc....the list could go on and on.  The only thing I don't have a taste for is Gansta Rap...I just don't get it...but I'm sure I'm missing the point somewhere.

I can't even begin to make a favorites list; I'd have to break it out in genres and then list my favorites under each one.

Let's talk and let's swap...I'm serious...and I love to do it  ;D  Some of you around here know that already.

Brooks aka Amosboy (for another obsession of mine Tori Amos, in case there was any question about that)
"Love isn't love unless it's not painfully absurb."

-Charlotte Martin

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
Re: Get yourself a pet and buy some music too!
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 10:33:53 am »
Brooks, the cats are lovely!   My hell devil's name is FANG, and she is quite a character.    She ate half a poinsettia yesterday....I always heard they were poinsonous to animals....OOPS.    She doesn't seem any worse for wear.....

Poinsiettia is now on top of the refrigerator....

I absolutely LOVE 70's disco (lived through it you know; even won a couple of disco dance contests!)    My fav. disco song is "He's a Saint, He's a Sinner" by Miguel Brown.    I'd love to hear some of your collection.....

hugs,

Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline gvolts5

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 11:15:22 am »
Brooks - ten cats is too many.  Let's titrate that down to 7 by the end of this week.  Eventually we'll hope to reach a target of 1 cat. 

Here is a cat I adopted for about a week until he bit me.  I think this occured because I disciplined him; if I went into the kitchen he ALWAYS followed me, even if he'd just eaten a big huge dinner.  I tried to stop this behavior.  His name is Klaus and I think he found a better home than I could provide. 

We're not talking about Living with HIV though, I think these posts belong in the other area.

John
« Last Edit: December 14, 2006, 10:52:00 am by gvolts5 »

Offline Christine

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006, 11:26:14 am »
I agree our pets help us live with hiv. It is a reason to get out of bed, and something to focus on other than being +. Love all your cats! And I too have been banned from going to the human society, or rescue adoptions...of course there is always Pet Finder on the internet!

Christine and her pack of pups; Pluto, Sullivan, Astro and Jinxy Roo...and the fishes, who don't have names except for Big Brown Fish the Pleco.
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline Amosboy

• Music is the panacea.
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006, 12:46:24 pm »
Christine (darling),

Thanks for reading between the lines...having pets does help us live with HIV and gives us something to concentrate on besides ourselves.  I think pets offer something beyond our immediate worries. 

John,

I welcome a direct email from you concerning audio-editing software, and I'd be happy to talk music anytime.  Klaus was cute.  He could have come to live with me  ;D  ooops, that's right...no more cats.  I am crazy and there is no reason to even debate that point.  Don't even think about messing with my pride...I am a Leo, afterall  ;)

Alan (the handsome man with no shirt in a baseball hat, if I remember correctly),

Please email me a picture of FANG and we'll talk some tunes from there.  I'm feeling generous people.

I will gladly bring some new music into anyone's life...it is one of the greatest ways to cope with being HIV positive and just as vital as the meds I take.

Big hugs to all of you!  ;D

Amosboy
"Love isn't love unless it's not painfully absurb."

-Charlotte Martin

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2006, 01:21:56 pm »
AMosboy~~

I can relate to the pets. I love my demon kitty, Lucifer. If I had a whole house, I would prolly have a dozen cats too. Although, I would like to have an iguana too. It's funny to me because Lucifer acts like he is my man. NO, folks the Queen is not into beastiality (sp?). He's very posessive of me and every morning he has this ritual of once I get myself up and motivated, he comes to sit in my lap. I think I indirectly started this because when he was a kitten, I use to always pick him up and sit him on my lap. He's also jealous of the laptop... ;D

Another thing we have in common is being a DJ, man, I love this place. I had started when I was 19 and at a college station even though I wasn't in college. We've had female DJs before me but I had become the most popular so then I started to DJ at bars and clubs. After awhile I had to quit because I had got burned out. But I still have a love for music.

Thanks for the memories.....
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline Javicho

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2006, 01:25:17 pm »
I' 100% agree w/you pets really help us dealing w/HIV. I have two dogs and there are my babies there a boy(Pino) and a girl (Amica) they are smart and beautiful my problem is that I don't know how to send a pic. Tim help me the last time so lets see what I can do. About music; I love it too, do you like Salsa?

Javier

Offline Tucsonwoody

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2006, 09:26:25 pm »
I have never been "owned" by a cat or cats like I have by my dogs - but think they would be fun. 

Even though he has more mental problems then I do, it is great to have my furry four legged friend around...maybe one of these days I can add a kitty cat if Bailey will let me!  Of course he spends some time chasing the bobcats that occasionally come through my backyard, so that miight not be a good idea.

Thanks for posting the great pic of your kittys Amosboy they look very content.

Kevin

[attachment deleted by admin]
And I wished for guidance, and I wished for peace
I could see the lightning; somewhere in the east
And I wished for affection, and I wished for calm
As I lay there - Nervous in the light of dawn

Offline Eldon

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2006, 09:54:41 pm »
Hey Brooks!

You definitely have a point when it comes to having pets around in the house. it does make a difference and there there for us when we need them. I also have a Cat named Daisy and she is the sweetest thing ever as a Cat. Sometimes I wonder where her Husband Felix is. Maybye I should get her one.

Now...the MUSIC!!!

You have struck a nerve and YES I am all pumped up now knowing that there are also others who have the same finesse and passion for MUSIC. My main line is House, Jungle, Garage, and Trance. I also like a variety of other MUSIC just as well. I am with you on the gangsta Rap issue, I still do not understand it until this day. As for the Technics 1200's that sounds great that you have risen them from the depths of your closet. Just as Queen and yourself, I too had DJ'd back in the earlier days.

Atomix Virtual DJ...this is the software that I currently use when I go off into my tangents with the vibe of the House Music. Yes, I have a burner and I do have access to a number of different musical options out there. This idea sounds like a good one. After all, it is all about sharing our experiences. I'll be in touch.

Do You Feel Me?

"Don't Give Up, Don't Give In... Cause it is all within you to WIN!"
« Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 10:00:05 pm by Eldon »

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2006, 10:03:11 pm »

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2006, 10:08:27 pm »
Our Manx, Megatron, has tail envy... because our other cat Rimbaud (or Rimjob when he misbehaves) likes to twitch his tail in Megatron's face.

And they say those bloody animals aren't intelligent...
Your tastebuds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!

Offline AlanBama

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2006, 10:11:58 pm »
Brooks,

Here is La Fang......when I got her, I named her "Polly", because she is a polydactyl (Hemingway) cat.....but it is so NOT HER.    She is definitely a FANG.

I think it was perfectly fine to put this topic in "Living With", since I believe our pets can be a 'survival tool'.   I attribute part of my long-term survival to my schnauzer, who took every I.V. treatment and every pentamidine treatment right along with me, and stood guard during each and every home nursing visit.
She was quite a character.

In loving memory of "Lucky Penny" 1988-1999

[attachment deleted by admin]
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline AlanBama

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2006, 10:16:19 pm »
Well hell, I was trying to send you a pm Brooks, but something is going on with this forum 'upgrade' or something, it says I am not allowed to send private messages!

If I'm not allowed to, is anybody else able to send them?   Weird.....

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2006, 10:18:33 pm »

If I'm not allowed to, is anybody else able to send them?   Weird.....

I'm not allowed to either.
Your tastebuds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.