Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 02:37:55 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 184
Total: 184

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Drug combo: Prezista, Norvir & Truvada.  (Read 11907 times)

Offline jaace24

Drug combo: Prezista, Norvir & Truvada.
« on: April 22, 2013, 07:53:57 pm »
Hey everyone I'm on Prezista, Norvir & Truvada.  They are doing wonders for my numbers but however last month I had slightly elevated kidneys.  I was told by my Dr to drink lots of fluids and come in and get retested in 24 hours.  I did that and everything came out okay.  Well however I am having some burning sensation in my left side of stomach area.  Do you think its a warning from my kidneys?  Or is it just possible digestion problem with the antibiotics I'm on?  If so what would I probably switch to for meds?

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
Re: Drug combo: Prezista, Norvir & Truvada.
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 09:03:42 pm »
Hi Jaace,

No, it's doubtful the burning is from Kidneys. However if it continues or gets worse I would call the doc.

Your doctor will monitor you kidneys very closely while on Truvada. I was on Truvada for about a year and my Kidneys function started to decline and I was switched to Prezista/Norvir/Epzicom. It was a very gradual thing and didnt happen over night, and there was no burning.

That being said, it is fairly rare to have to switch off Truvada due to kidney issues, I just happened to be one of the unlucky ones. Just listen to what your doctor says, drink water, etc.. and you will be fine.

-Will
 ;)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 09:05:55 pm by WillyWump »
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline jaace24

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 08:01:30 am »
WillyWump thank you for replying.  I am still on Bactrim and it could possibly be from that.  It is just a weird feeling and lasts all day.

Offline weasel

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 10:28:42 am »
  Hi  Jaace  ,
                   I am on Prezista, Norvir & Truvada   for ?   Nine months ?
  Not sure when they changed my MEDS from Reyetaz to Prezista .

I feel good  , No major  GI  issues , no inner organ pains   :)

I have other pain , But after all these years that is expected .

I hope you are doing well ,

Weasel   
" Live and let Live "

Offline jaace24

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 06:18:34 pm »
I am doing good.  I just had my latest lab draw today.  So we will see what my kidney panels says.  Its still early enough that if they are still elevated they will be fine.  It would be caught early enough that dialysis wouldn't be needed

Offline jaace24

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 02:59:50 pm »
Labs came back and show kidneys and liver in normal range!  Yay!

Offline ChefDD

• White Whisker Cook (aka. ChefDD)
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 08:46:03 am »
 :( I was on the same combo and it did wonders until the doctor checked my bone density. Have you had a base line bone density check? Unfortunately, after taking 2 years of Actonel my problem worsened to a point where I'm classified as high risk for bone fracture. Truvada was dropped due to it's possible link to lowering bone density. I have taken two treatments of Reclast and have improved slightly. Relcast is a once a year IV treatment. Moral of the story...if you are take Truvada....check you bone density asap and keep track of it .
ChefDD ( White Whisker )

Offline Edgardo

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 08:39:58 pm »
I have been reading the posts on here to get a little more information. I was diagnosed positive in March, and today is my 1st day taking the meds. I am on this combo: Truvada, novir, & Prezista.
I didn't feel any side effects until about 3 hours after I took the pills. First, I started feeling very bloated. I thought it was from me drinking so much water, but I spent the next hours on the toilet with diarrhea; all I ate came right out of me.
Have anybody experience this with this combo? How long does it last? It was awful, and I am even afraid to take them tomorrow. I thought about calling the doctor, but I thought about giving it another day or two for my body to get adjusted to the pills, and if there's no change, go back to see the doctor. I couldn't get any work done, I fell weak all afternoon at work.
Just a little scared  :o

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 10:03:41 pm »
I have been reading the posts on here to get a little more information. I was diagnosed positive in March, and today is my 1st day taking the meds. I am on this combo: Truvada, novir, & Prezista.
I didn't feel any side effects until about 3 hours after I took the pills. First, I started feeling very bloated. I thought it was from me drinking so much water, but I spent the next hours on the toilet with diarrhea; all I ate came right out of me.
Have anybody experience this with this combo? How long does it last? It was awful, and I am even afraid to take them tomorrow. I thought about calling the doctor, but I thought about giving it another day or two for my body to get adjusted to the pills, and if there's no change, go back to see the doctor. I couldn't get any work done, I fell weak all afternoon at work.
Just a little scared  :o

Hi Edgardo , don't be afraid to take loperamide or Imodium after ever trip to the toilet , it wont hurt to take it that much .

Your body may take a short time to get used to the meds but you will adjust . The norvir part of the combo did that to me before it got better .

Try not to be too upset , if things don't work out there are other combos , just give this one a couple of weeks and see what happens .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Edgardo

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 08:06:09 am »
Hi Edgardo , don't be afraid to take loperamide or Imodium after ever trip to the toilet , it wont hurt to take it that much .

Your body may take a short time to get used to the meds but you will adjust . The norvir part of the combo did that to me before it got better .

Try not to be too upset , if things don't work out there are other combos , just give this one a couple of weeks and see what happens .

Thank you Jeff, I will give it a try and see if things get better in the couple of weeks. It is almost time for my 2nd dose  :o Hope, I feel less pain today.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2013, 09:39:32 am »
I've taken large doses of loperamide twice daily for a period of over 15 years. It's safe to do this according to the four HIV doctors I have had over that time period. They've never concluded whether or not it's from HIV infection itself, or from the protease class of medication. I've been on a lot of HIV regimens during that time period, all with various protease inhibitors because I have a lack of options unlike most patients, but even before PI's came out in 1997 I would have diarrhea, just not bad enough to take loperamide. So I think for me it's a combination of the two, but mostly from PI's.

Hopefully for you since you are new to this regimen it will be a side effect that will fade away after 4-6 weeks, which is typically what occurs. In the meantime I would take loperamide (prescription, 2mg) or over-the-counter imodium (only comes as 1mg I believe) and don't wait until you have diarrhea to take it, just add it in with your daily dosing of prezista, etc. and adjust the dosing until your stools are firm. Then maybe after 4-6 weeks begin to taper off taking the loperamide/imodium and see what happens without any.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Edgardo

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2013, 10:03:07 am »
Thank you guys! I wanted to give you an update. The diarrhea only happened on the first day I took the pills. I was afraid, so I only ate small portions of food before taking the pills, and drunk a lot. Now, I only eat small portions throughout the day as recommended by the doctor. So far, I haven't experienced anymore diarrhea after 5 days of taking the pills. No other side effects, except the bloated feeling. Again, that might be due to me drinking so much water throughout the day. I've also added more time to my cardio at the gym and hope that help eleiminate some of the bad deposits from the pills in my system.  8)

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2013, 10:26:22 am »
"bad deposits from the pills"? What's that mean?
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2013, 10:29:39 am »
Hi Edgardo , the bloating is probably from both the truvada and norvir . If you can use anti gas pills or fiber products it can help with these symptoms . 

I on Intelence / Truvada and I have the bloat from the Truvada ... I call it tootvada because of the gas . Personally I can deal with the bloating if its the price to pay for a workable combo .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Edgardo

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2013, 11:05:08 am »
Hi Edgardo , the bloating is probably from both the truvada and norvir . If you can use anti gas pills or fiber products it can help with these symptoms . 

I on Intelence / Truvada and I have the bloat from the Truvada ... I call it tootvada because of the gas . Personally I can deal with the bloating if its the price to pay for a workable combo .

Thank you Jeff, I agree, I can deal with the bloating. I will try the fiber, I don't want to add anymore pill to what I have right now lol

Offline Edgardo

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2013, 11:14:21 am »
"bad deposits from the pills"? What's that mean?

Not sure that's was the right expression, but again English is a 3rd language, and it is sometimes challenging to find the right words to express my thoughts. I read about the possible side effects for this combo, which include gaining weight, hair loss, decrease in bone density, just to name a few. So, I meant may be exercising/ eating healthy/ drinking more water would help minimize some of these side effects.  :o 8)

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2013, 11:18:42 am »
You wouldn't need a script for gas pills , they are over the counter and the only side effect is it gets rid of excess gas , so don't be afraid to try them if need need be . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline RobbyR

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2013, 08:27:29 pm »
I am thinking about ditching Atripla in favor of Prezista, Norvir, Truvada. I've never been on a PI regimen before, is this any easy combo to take. Ms. Ann has said it's VERY easily tolerated and I'm hoping if I do choose this combo my anxiety/insomnia will improve. But I'd hate to sell the devil I know for one I don't. It's always a bit nerve racking when starting a new regimen, particularly a one in a different class. Also a bit worried about swapping out one pill for three, due to the cost. I've been lucky enough that Ryan White has enabled me to get my atripla free up to now but hope I can work something out if I change regimens.

But sounds like many tolerate P/N/T very well! What is the dosage for it? All at once, etc? And is there any tangible benefit/risk to a PI verses a NNRTI? I am also considering Stribild or a couple other combos before I decide on one.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 08:30:01 pm by RobbyR »
"I survived because I was tougher than anybody else".--Bette Davis

Atripla
2010-2015

Stribild
2015-2016

Genvoya
2016-

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2013, 10:03:35 pm »

But sounds like many tolerate P/N/T very well! What is the dosage for it? All at once, etc? And is there any tangible benefit/risk to a PI verses a NNRTI? I am also considering Stribild or a couple other combos before I decide on one.

It's a very easy to tolerate, but yes the downside to moving from Atripla to Prez/Nor/Tru is the amount of pills..I forget what my exact doasge was but I was taking a total of 5 pills a day...Prez/norvir in the A.M., and then Prez/Nor/Tru at PM.

*of course talk to your doctor about the pros/cons of switching in your particular case.

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2013, 01:37:53 am »
If you have no PI resistance, the dosing is 1 x day, 800mg Prezista, 100mg Norvir and 1 Truvada. There is a new 800mg Prezista tablet so this means it's 3 pills, usually taken in one go. You need food, but only a little, glass of milk etc will do in a pinch.

It's generally easy to take, but the Norvir upsets some people's stomach and a small proportion of people get a rash from the Prezista << true of nearly all meds

An advantage to this combo over some others is that it's very forgiving on timing/adherence.

The main disadvantage is Prezista/Norvir may raise your cholesterol slightly << true of many other meds

I personally do not consider 1 vs 2-3 pills important. It's 1 x day that is important for me. In the UK we will soon not have single combined pills like Atripla if the component drugs are cheaper for the National Health Service.

All modern combos work as well as each other. The only way to see if one suits you is to take it and see. If side effects happen and are intolerable, it's easy to switch to something else.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.