Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 12:23:06 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37639
  • Latest: Glassxj
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773168
  • Total Topics: 66331
  • Online Today: 216
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 210
Total: 211

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Folliculitis and other rashes:  (Read 12018 times)

Offline jm1953

Folliculitis and other rashes:
« on: January 30, 2010, 10:13:29 pm »
Hey Members:

I am a long termer who posted on this thread earlier concerning weird skin issues.  Got some very supportive responses back with some great tips that I have tried.  My main complaint are outbreaks of folliculitis which mostly on my upper torso which can be really annoying.  I've had two biopsies which show I have suppurative folliculitis.  Also have patches of acne on my back and some redness like I've been out in the sun.

Nothing has seemed to work, so I went to my derm yesterday and asked her if I could try either fluocinonide cream USP 0.05% or triamcindone acetonide cream which seem to have worked for other members.  She wouldn't prescribe them, just said to moisturize more.  And use this acne medicine she gave me.  I don't know what she thinks I have to lose.  Usually my primary end up prescribing them.

Knowing what is the cause of these skin problems would be a start.  I've changed my HIV meds finding out I was allergic to an ingredient in them.  Found out I have a number of food allergies so my diet has completely changed.  Use free and clear, fragrance free everything.  Nothing seems to help.

I have never had this many skin problems in the 22 years of being positive than during the past year.  Seems strange they appear now.

My CD 4s are stable around 700 and viral load below 50 so I think my numbers are high enough to not be a contributing factor to this.  My Absolute CD 8 are a bit off the charts though.  And tests have shown my auto immune system is o.k. based on tests for lupus and regular check ups for my thyroid.  A mystery indeed!

Just get frustrated as I'm sure other members do.  

I am going to contact the local University Medical School HIV research facility to see if I can perhaps see someone there.

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.  

Best,

JM
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 09:05:46 pm by jm1953 »
Positive 29 years. Diagnosed 10/1987.  Current CD 4: 720: Viral load: almost 100.  Current drug regimen, Tivicay, Emtriva, Endurant, Wellbutrin, Clonazepam, Uloric, Losartan Potassium,Allegra, Ambien, Testosterone, Nandrolone, Vicodin, Benedryl, Aspirin, lots of vitamin supplements.

Offline veritas

Re: Folliculitis and other rashes:
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 07:11:06 am »
jm1953,

I saw your post has not been answered, so I thought I'd tell you what I use to heal and moisturize my skin. Skin issues can be difficult to solve . Trial and error , unfortunately , is necessary since all our chemistries are different.

What I use is a silver topical called ASAP made by American Biotec Labs. I mail order the product.
Here is some info if you would like to try it. I have had good results:

http://www.americanbiotechlabs.com/ultimate-skin-body-care.html

Good luck,

v

Offline poet

• Poet living and working in Central Maine
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 04:15:46 pm »
The only answer I can come up with is to, as usual, keep an open mind and keep asking questions: could it be this or could it be that?  Last Summer, I had an ongoing problem, what would start as a tiny white postule which would then enlarge with an encircling red area and the feeling that my skin was trying to squeeze the postule (causing swelling in the area).  It reminded me of a drug reaction I had had back in the 1980's, a med which was then discontinued.  I mentioned this to my doctor.  We didn't change meds.  The problem disappeared once the weather got cold.

Now, was it drug related?  Was it a spider which bit me from time to time?  Was it connected to the weather?  Was it something connected to the homeless shelter where I work, where we know we have all sorts of things like bed bugs from time to time?  Will the problem come back this Summer?  The best I can do with this, the skin cancer (?) spots which pop up, the this or the that is to note them, show them and watch them. 

I hope that you get answers from the University. 
Winthrop Smith has published three collections of poetry: Ghetto: From The First Five; The Weigh-In: Collected Poems; Skin Check: New York Poems.  The last was published in December 2006.  He has a work-in-progress underway titled Starting Positions.

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 08:19:02 pm »
JM,

Gotta tell ya, that this is one of my most annoying sides of HIV, and has been with me for most of my 26 years with this bug.

I got victory over folliculitis, a real infection of the hair follicles, suffered especially by the hairy segment of the HIV population. 

My answer and real solution is to get some Clorhexidine Gluconate 4% solution.  This is a common type of soap that is only available from your doctor or in a hospital.  It is the soap that is used to disinfect before surgery.  I get mine from the VA and my Dr gives it to me because it is in the examining room.  I have found that this works not only on the body but against the instructions, on the genitals also.  I use it on my scalp and everywhere I have hair follicles.  As a general rule, I use it when I have more outbreaks, which in my case is the summer.  However, it can be used anytime, and WILL extinguish folliculitis completely.  You might have to use it more than once, and I usually have to use it for three days to get rid of a huge outbreak, but if used occasionally, outbreaks will be a thing of the past. 

I know you have been given other ideas, but this one has been proven to work for me and several friends in the past.  Remember, this is not available over the counter, and you will have to get it from the doctor.

Good luck to you JM, and I hope you have victory over this very annoying side effect, that doesn't seem to have any solution.  :)
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline jm1953

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 10:39:55 pm »
Thanks guys for the information.  I appreciate your recommendations of things to try, and I definitely will.

I'm finding I'm kind of on my own searching for solutions to this one except for those members like you who offer their recommendations.  Honestly I think my derm and primary have just given up.  So I guess we have to take matters into our own hands.  That is why I thought maybe going to the University Medical School may bring out the big guns.

It seems skin problems are pretty common among people with HIV/AIDS. 

Sharing our stories, and seeing what treatments work for some, and learning treatments that don't work for others has really helped me!

Thanks again guys,

JM
Positive 29 years. Diagnosed 10/1987.  Current CD 4: 720: Viral load: almost 100.  Current drug regimen, Tivicay, Emtriva, Endurant, Wellbutrin, Clonazepam, Uloric, Losartan Potassium,Allegra, Ambien, Testosterone, Nandrolone, Vicodin, Benedryl, Aspirin, lots of vitamin supplements.

Offline Andy99

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 06:04:08 pm »
JM,

Gotta tell ya, that this is one of my most annoying sides of HIV, and has been with me for most of my 26 years with this bug.

I got victory over folliculitis, a real infection of the hair follicles, suffered especially by the hairy segment of the HIV population. 

My answer and real solution is to get some Clorhexidine Gluconate 4% solution.  This is a common type of soap that is only available from your doctor or in a hospital.  It is the soap that is used to disinfect before surgery.  I get mine from the VA and my Dr gives it to me because it is in the examining room.  I have found that this works not only on the body but against the instructions, on the genitals also.  I use it on my scalp and everywhere I have hair follicles.  As a general rule, I use it when I have more outbreaks, which in my case is the summer.  However, it can be used anytime, and WILL extinguish folliculitis completely.  You might have to use it more than once, and I usually have to use it for three days to get rid of a huge outbreak, but if used occasionally, outbreaks will be a thing of the past. 

I know you have been given other ideas, but this one has been proven to work for me and several friends in the past.  Remember, this is not available over the counter, and you will have to get it from the doctor.

Good luck to you JM, and I hope you have victory over this very annoying side effect, that doesn't seem to have any solution.  :)

Thought I'd give this a shot, If you live in the U.K. you do not need a prescription to buy it, I found it very easy to buy from this website http://www.midmeds.co.uk/hydrex-surgical-scrub-500ml-p-2101.html pretty cheap as well at £3.51 a bottle inc VAT

Andy

Offline dixieman

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 11:21:11 am »
Moffie65... thank you for the information on folliculitis... I have had problems for years... taken antibiotics for relief and finally your suggestion has been a blessing. I'm going to have a long talk with my doctor on this matter... all doctors I have sought relief from basically said theres not much to be done... and just blew it off even my dermatologist? Again thank you for your information... its worked wonders!

Offline jm1953

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2010, 10:35:38 pm »
Thanks Moffie65 and Andy:

Going to see if I can order this online.  If not try to get a prescription.

Thanks a bunch,  this may be the answer to my prayers!!!!!!

Best,

Jeff

Offline dixieman

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 01:55:44 pm »
Chlorhexidine Gluconate 4%... has many manufactored names... Baxter is one... and Hibiclens is another... they can be bought over the counter without a prescription... Great products... just read the directions...

Offline jm1953

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 12:18:02 am »
Got Hibiclense in my medicine cabinet.  Never would have put two and two together unless  you had pointed it out.  Thanks a bunch..... :D

Offline Andy99

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2010, 07:19:06 pm »
Thought I'd leave an update. The Clorhexidine Gluconate 4% solution gave me a 100% improvement after a couple of weeks, but I think I've still got some issues with Demodex so i'm going to try 5% Permetherin (cheapest in the UK is here http://pharmacy1stop.com/shop/customer/product.php?productid=3454&cat=164, I've just ordered 2 for less than £6 including UK delivery

Offline jm1953

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2010, 10:23:57 pm »
Thought I'd leave an update. The Clorhexidine Gluconate 4% solution gave me a 100% improvement after a couple of weeks, but I think I've still got some issues with Demodex so i'm going to try 5% Permetherin (cheapest in the UK is here http://pharmacy1stop.com/shop/customer/product.php?productid=3454&cat=164, I've just ordered 2 for less than £6 including UK delivery

Hey Andy99 and Dixieman,

I tried the Hibiclense or Clorhexidine Gluconate 4% solution last night and I see some improvement.  I hope it continues.  Since it is so toxic to the eyes and ears, I wondered if you shampoo your scalp with it?  And if so, how do you keep it out of your ears?  I do have some folliculitus on my scalp as well, that is why I ask.

Just thought I'd update you guys on my experience with this. 

And Dixieman, my new dermatologist DID actually ask me to try the Hibiclense.  The past year and a half I have been given the run around by others.   I'm so happy I found her, as she seems to get skin issues and HIV.  I think more derms need to know the score.

Best to you both,

Jeff

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.