Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:26:52 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 608
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 575
Total: 576

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: With regret...  (Read 5213 times)

Offline ndrew

• ....-.-.-.-.-.....
With regret...
« on: September 03, 2006, 11:40:07 am »
Hello folks,

I found out my voice teacher passed away this year.  I was afraid of this.  I didn't get to tell him how much he influence me and how much he believed in me and what his support meant.  I don't regret much, but this is a big one...  He was really the first person to really support me artistically.  I still have a small Buddhist text he gave me.  He really was a wonderful human being, still singing and teaching into his 70s.  I hope to be like him someday.  Older, gently, loving, giving... 

Now I don't know how I can tell him how much he meant to me... I hope he knows this.  I hope he knows...

Drew

Here are notes from the University of Kentucky School of Music..

James King, a legendary American helden-tenor whose bright, ringing voice and fluent high notes captivated critics and audiences in leading European opera houses in the 1960s, died at age 80 on November 20 in Naples, Florida, where he had retired.  King was a professor at UK from 1952 to 1961 where he taught voice and pedagogy and directed the Men’s Glee Club. This was his first position following graduate study at the University of Kansas City.  He and his first wife Ardis, who was on the music faculty of Georgetown College, performed frequently in concerts, recitals, and musicales in Lexington. Mr. and Mrs.  King played the lead roles in the 1955 UK summer opera production of Kurt Weill’s Street Scene. King left UK in 1962, and quickly won a resident appointment at the Deutsche Oper in Berlin as a nearly unknown singer from the United States and at the Metropolitan Opera, where he took on some of the most challenging tenor roles.  He returned to UK in 1965 to perform the tenor part in Verdi’s Requiem, and in 1978 to receive a Doctor of Letters degree from the university.

Mr. King won acclaim for roles by Richard Wagner and Richard Strauss, composers in whom he specialized. At the Met, he made his debut in 1966 as Florestan in Beethoven’s Fidelio, the first of 113 appearances there. He set records for the most performances in two particularly demanding roles on the Met roster: Baccus in Strauss’Ariadne auf Naxos and the Emperor in Die Frau Ohne Schatten, a role he sang in the opera’s Met premier.  Met audiences also heard him in works
by Berg, Bizet, Britten, Puccini, and Wagner.

His final performance was in 2000 at Indiana University, where he had taught
from 1984 to 2002, in a production of Wagner’s Die Walkure, in which he took the role of Siegmund. He is survived by his third wife, Elizabeth, three sons, and two daughters.

Offline Christine

Re: With regret...
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2006, 11:45:33 am »
I am so sorry for your loss. You can tell him now, just the way you told us. He will hear you. It would also be lovely for you to write to his wife, and children telling them how much he meant to you.
Christine
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline wellington

• Don't sweat the little things.
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2006, 11:46:09 am »
You could always contact the family to express your feelings. It's often a great comfort to them to hear how their loved one has touched the lives of others.

Offline Teresa

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2006, 11:47:16 am »
So sorry for your loss.

Christine has great advice about writing to his family and telling them. I know that would mean so much to them.

Hugs
Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2006, 11:57:20 am »
Hi Drew,
Very sorry for your loss. He sounded like a very special person who touched your life and made it better. I'm sure he knew how much he meant to you! God bless you during this difficult time.
With love,
Jeff
Positive since 1985

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2006, 12:12:42 pm »
Drew,  His legacy continues, you have picked up from the last "measure"..

Love

Offline ndrew

• ....-.-.-.-.-.....
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2006, 01:29:48 pm »
Thanks everyone, stupid how you don't appreciate someone until they are gone... and then gone is a part of you...  but my tears are for love and appreciation. 

I thought about contacting his wife, I am glad others agree.

drew

Offline IzPoz

• God, grant me the serenity...
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2006, 02:28:47 pm »
Speaking as a widow, your words to Mr. King's wife and family would come as a huge comfort.  They would be very proud of him for making such an impact on at least one person's life.

I'm very sorry for your loss, Drew.  Don't regret not telling him verbally, because I'm sure he already knew through your actions how you felt.

Be well.
The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly. ~ Chesterton G. K.

Offline Eldon

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2006, 11:00:37 pm »
Hello Drew,

I am sorry to hear about your loss. Contact the family and let them know how much of an impact he has made on your life.

Have the BEST Day!

Offline joemutt

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2006, 02:58:17 am »
I'm sorry for your loss, what a guy! what a repertory! To have had a teacher like that is so valuable, now you are part of his living legacy, and you do him honor, I'm sure. Thanks for sharing.

Offline david25luvit

• Member since March 2005
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2006, 06:16:57 am »
A tragic loss for sure, Drew....but as long as he lives in your memories, he will live on in your heart.
Something I had a hard time understanding after David passed away.  The lives he touched and the moments you shared with him are his legacy...Hold fast and hard to his memory and regret nothing...short of his passing.  There are angels among us and sometimes we don't realize their presence until they are taken away from our midst.  You have my deepest sympathy.
In Memory of
Raymond David McRae III
Nov. 25, 1972- Oct. 15, 2004
I miss him terribly..........

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.