Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 09:15:36 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 189
Total: 189

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Bariatric Surgery and HIV  (Read 6885 times)

Offline Jwhite8040

Bariatric Surgery and HIV
« on: June 01, 2006, 01:04:04 am »
Hi,
I've been poz since July 2001 and I am undetectible and 600 t cells.  I have been battling my weight since college (20 years).  Do you think because I am HIV poz I would not be a canidate for bariatric surgery (stomach reduction and bypass).

I would appreciate feedback from anyone who has done it or considered it.

Thanks.

Offline Lisa

• Formerly known as sweetieweasel/Joined Nov. 2004
    • http://www.myspace.com/lisanowak58
Re: Bariatric Surgery and HIV
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 11:33:38 am »
Hi J,
You won't be refused surgery because of your poz staus, but you must tread carefully while considering this option.
The surgery effectively shortens your gut, and thereby will greatly impact your absorption of both nutrients, and meds.
You may want to get an opinion from a dietary nutritionist, while seeking a surgeon.
I always counseled my patients to always ask their surgeon how many of these surgeries they have performed. If it is less than a hundred or so, walk away. The learning curve, even for a seasoned surgeon, is about a hundred or so procedures.
You should also ask what his/her success rate is. If they sound fumbly, or come right out with 100%, walk away.
This type of surgery is VERY serious, and you must screen the doctor as carefully as you can.
If you find a surgeon whom you are comfortable with, make sure to listen carefully to everything they say.
You must be your own advocate, so do not be afraid to ask these questions. If you at all uncomfortable with the doc, don't think twice about seeing another doctor. If it were me, I would ask one of the respected Gastroenterologists who they would go to. If you don't know a GI doc, ask your family, or ID doc who they would send one of their family members to.
I wish you good luck in this endeavor, just be careful.

No Fear  No Shame  No Stigma
Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you have.

Offline bear60

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 11:53:45 am »
Hi
Whats wrong with working out ( with a trainer even) and change the way you eat? Cost will be less.
Also, you can join a bear club so as to be around people who appreciate big guys. Seriously.
You dont say HOW MUCH you weigh but if you are over 300 pounds it is necessary to lose weight.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline Basquo

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006, 01:24:07 pm »
I just spoke with the Bariatric Surgery director at my hospital (We were doing several hundred a year for awhile, now down to about two hundred since so many can be done in an outpatient surgical center.)  She said that with a bypass, absorbtion is no problem because the pills are still absorbed in the small intestine, only a short section is bypassed.  However with Lap-Band, which is much less invasive and can be done as an outpatient, everthing you ingest hast to pass through a very small opening, so large pills may have to be split or crushed--that's the issue I'm not sure about.  Seems to me that pills are a certain size for a reason.  I knowseveral people who have had bariatric surgery, and what it boils down to is that it's not an effort-free solution.  You still have to change your dietary habits. And it is still possible to gain all the weight back, like with any other type of diet. Good luck!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2006, 01:25:48 pm by Basquo »

Offline Jwhite8040

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2006, 02:36:30 am »
Diet and Exercise?  Gosh, I never thought of that. :'(

Offline gerry

• Joined AM Feb 2003
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2006, 11:20:51 am »
I don't think that being HIV positive would disqualify you from having the surgery especially since you are doing well with meds with good numbers that would not preclude going through surgery.  Having said that, it's not certain how you would do afterwards as far as tolerating your meds, especially since some of the most common side effects are gastrointestinal.  For instance, what would happen if you have to interrupt your medications for a certain period of time while you heal?  That's a factor that needs to be considered and discussed carefully with your HIV doc.  Good luck.

Offline brax

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2006, 09:07:05 am »

PLEASE HELP !!!

My Sister had Bariatric / stomach bypass surgery 5 months ago. The operation was a complete success. Unfortunately she had to begin HIV therapy one week ago. Due to the surgery her Dr is concerned that she wont be able to absorb the tablets so she has been started on a stronger liquid medication. She has been suffering severe Nausea and Diarrhoea which seem to be side effects of the meds. The actual tease of the med is foul. It is not yet known wether the medication will work.
 We have been able to find Nobody else who has had the surgery and is now (successfully ?) managing HIV medication. If anyone reading this knows of Simone HIV who's had the surgery, or knows of a Dr I could contact who might have information PLEASE let me know.  Derek   UK

Offline nicki763

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2013, 12:22:13 pm »
I just had surgery 3/21/13 and I am having a problem with meds. The amount is staggering and I feel horrible. I have been trying to find people who have gotten though it to get some pointers.  :'(

Offline LiveWithIt

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2013, 02:11:28 pm »
You should discuss it with your infectious disease doctor and see if they can refer you to a bariatric surgeon who has worked with HIV people. 

I would never get the gastric bypass because it seems much more dangerous than the lap band procedure. 

What you should do is control your food addiction if you have one.

I heavy but I'm lucky that I'm not morbidly obese and I am top heavy and do not carry most the weight in my belly which is the worst. 

I had a friend who had a morbidly obese boyfriend, he likes big guys, but I think he's worried about his boyfriend's health, but he's uncomfortable asking if he'd ever consider anything besides the failed diet and exercise.
Pray God you can cope
I know you have a little life in you yet.
I know you have a lot of strength left.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.