Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:00:44 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773225
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 639
Total: 639

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Itchy Blistery Bumps from Rey/Nor/Truv Combo?  (Read 9065 times)

Offline gonzo

Itchy Blistery Bumps from Rey/Nor/Truv Combo?
« on: October 16, 2008, 04:23:49 am »
Hi All,
 I been on this combo now for 3 weeks, and was tolerating it pretty well, or atleast I thought.
Last week I noticed a bump on my arm, it looked like an insect bite except it was raised alot higher then they usually do when I get them. That night it itched like mad, and it started oozing some yellowish,sticky liquid. Well since then I now have about a dozen or so of these blistery things on my arms, hands, and face-some about as big as a pencil eraser.
 Is it safe to take Benadryl while on this combo?, has anyone had a similar reaction?
I hope it's something that will pass, I really liked this combo, infact other then this reaction, I haven't felt this good in a long time!

G
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 04:31:51 am by gonzo »
diagnosed in 1990, current Meds: Truvada/Reyataz/Norvir

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Itchy Blistery Bumps from Rey/Nor/Truv Combo?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 05:20:57 am »
gonzo,

That doesn't really sound like a med-related rash. It sounds like something you need to show your doctor.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline gonzo

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 05:04:55 am »
 Thanks for your reply Ann, I have made appointment to see my ID Dr this week, as well as Dermatologist next week, but I really think it is related to the meds.
 This is distressing to me, I was really liking this combo, now it looks like I might have to try something else. I hope maybe the Dr. can give me something to combat the prob, then I would surely stay with it.

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 06:07:03 am »
Gonzo

I'm on the same combo as you and have never had any problems, I know everyone is different, but from my experience it's the NNRTIs that can cause the majority of HIV skin rashes...more so than the other groups from what I understand, I hope this is just an allergic reaction to something unrelated to the HIV meds, especially since you are doing well on them now...let us know what your doctor has to say.

Hugs
Jan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 07:04:08 am »
Hello,

Anytime something begins to ooze --would have me in concern. I hope that you have had this checked out and treated, since you posted. Let us know how your doing.

I am only on one of the meds that your on, and that is the Viread portion of truvada. I never had this problem.

Take care---Ray

Also just read that you made an appointment, but don't hesitate to get it checked out sooner if need be.
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2008, 08:02:26 am »
Hi Gonzo,

I'm glad you've got an appointment with a Derm doc. It was the oozing factor that made me think it's not related to the meds. I've never once heard anyone describe their med rash as oozing sticky yellow fluid. That sounds more like some sort of infection.

Please keep us posted as to what transpires at the derm appointment. Good luck, I hope it's something simple!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2008, 11:37:02 am »
Over my 15 years of being on meds, there have been a couple times where I got an odd rash that ended up being in now way connected to any HIV medication.  I called it "jungle rot".  Went away quickly in the end and hasn't returned now for a decade.  Sometimes things just happen, and not everything is connected to HIV.

Of course, it's always possible that it is, but I'm just saying that one should be careful in always drawing conclusions, easy as it may be to convince oneself otherwise.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline weasel

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2008, 11:35:07 am »
HEY GONZO ,
                   Hope your Volcanic ooze pumps are doing better !

I am on the same meds you are on !

I HAVE BEEN PLAUGED WITH THE SAME " IMPETIGO " AS YOU !

IT was the first indication something was  going wrong ,BEFORE  I was diagnosed AIDS !

I do NOT believe it has anything to do with your MEDS .

I hope you find a good DERMITOLOGIST  to help you clear up your skin .

I have found  AUGMENTON  does wonders !

I think you should NOT bathe  ,as it tends to spread the skin virus in the water ,shower only !

do NOT scratch this Pimpoles ! it spreads very easy , and is possible to spread to your partner !

**********   THESE ARE MY EXPIRIENCES AND OTHERS MAY BE DEFERENT ,I AM NOT A DOCTOR ,

ONLY OFFERING MY PROBLEMS WITH IMPETIGO  FOR THE PAST FIVE YEARS !

the best to you ,

Karl

P.S. avoid Moquitoes !
" Live and let Live "

Offline gonzo

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2008, 01:16:11 am »
Appreciate the input guys,
 I went to my ID Dr this week, he doesn't think it's med related,he thought maybe it was scabies but I doubted that highly, anyway I tried this cream he prescribed-permethrin, and it really did not help at all, infact now I have dry skin, and itch even more, lucky me!
Hopefully the derm can help me, I'll post after I see him.
I really do hope I am wrong, and it's something I can work thru, just the thought of having to try another combo is depressing.
I've had rashes before, the head to toe-needing prednisone kind, but they did not look or feel like this.
Weasel, I'll bring that up with my derm, but I'm thinking if it was impetigo my ID Dr. would have picked up on it?, but I am taking your advice about not bathing(which I usually do), incase it is some kind of skin virus, showering makes more sense.
Again, Thank you all!

G

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2008, 07:10:53 am »
Hi Gonzo, thank you for keeping us updated.

You might want to try a moisturizer for the dry skin. Get something that doesn't have extra gunk in it like perfume. E45 is a good one if you can get it where you live. I'm not sure if it's only available in Britain though. Anything that says "hypo-allergenic" on the label would be good.

I hope you get to the bottom of this soon and get it cleared up. I suffered from eczema all through my childhood and early adulthood, so I know first hand how rotten a rash can make you feel.

Good luck and please, continue to keep us updated.

Hugs (non-itchy ones!)
Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline gonzo

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 01:40:35 pm »
Well it seems I was wrong, the derm says it's def not med related, which was a sigh of relief on my part. He said it looked like some type of bacterial infection, and prescribed Augmentin antibiotic for it, I hope it works, but atleast I know I can continue on my HIV meds without concern.
Ann, I took your advice and bought a moisturizer for the dry patches, unfortunately, can't find this E45, so perhaps it is only available abroad, I bought something called cetaphil which seems to be helping some.
Thank you all again for your input!, much appreciated.

G

PS-weasel: you were right about the medication for what ails me-Augmentin, I hope it works wonders for me too! ^^
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 02:15:58 pm by gonzo »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2008, 08:32:34 am »
Hi Gonzo, thanks again for keeping us updated.

So my suspicions were confirmed - it's an infection. The yellow ooze gave it away. :)

Fingers crossed the Augmentin takes care of it quickly for you. Good luck!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2008, 05:49:01 am »
He said it looked like some type of bacterial infection, and prescribed Augmentin antibiotic for it, I hope it works, but atleast I know I can continue on my HIV meds without concern.

G

Gonzo,

I hope this new antibiotic is working for you. Keep us updated...

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline gonzo

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2008, 12:11:28 pm »
 I received a phone call from my ID Dr. this morning, he called to talk about my blood work.
This made me think omg, the meds aren't working, but that panic attack soon disappeared because he said, he was suprised that in just one month of being on this combo my cd4 is 255 and my vl is 2900, in other words great news! ^^

I been off meds for pretty much a year due to very bad allergic reaction, and even before that my adherence to them was not that great, I was undetectable once, but the side effects made me not want to take them( crixivan/combivir).

I am taking this new combo religiously, and the only side effect I thought I had from them was the blistery bumps, I am so happy that I can continue on them, and that they are working.

G
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 12:18:56 pm by gonzo »

Offline gonzo

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2008, 03:21:36 am »
Sigh, the antibiotic did not resolve my issue, after searching online, I think I might have eosinophilic folliculitis, has anyone on here ever had this? The blistering stopped, my guess it was a response to my starting HAART, but these itchy bumps don't seem to want to go anywhere. :(
Going to see ID Dr. next week, hope he can shed some light on this.

G

Offline BM

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2008, 05:23:19 pm »
I've just been diagnosed with eosinophilic folliculitis. My rash was a little pussy in places, but it wasn't a defining feature of it. It was mainly 'pimply'. I've been prescribed Elocon ointment which, after just one application, is working wonders.

To confirm EF, you will need to have a skin biopsy. It's not a pleasant procedure but it is mercifully quick!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.