Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 12:39:17 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37649
  • Latest: MSB92
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773265
  • Total Topics: 66346
  • Online Today: 361
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 294
Total: 295

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: SEX BETWEEN ME AND AN UNINFECTED PERSON  (Read 3510 times)

Offline SC-Blondie

SEX BETWEEN ME AND AN UNINFECTED PERSON
« on: June 20, 2007, 01:59:19 pm »
Hey, my name is Shari and I'm from SC.  I've been positive since 2002.  I'm having a problem with a situation my friend and I got ourselves into 3 weeks ago.  I went to his house just to visit and well he tells me how he's been wanting me for sometime.  Anyway, I found myself attracted to him too.  Before we did anything I sat him down and told him that I'm HIV+ because I felt it was my moral responsibility to do so.  Well, he still decided he wanted to have unprotected sex w/ me.  I informed him that I'm on my meds and that every blood draw I've had in the last 5 years have been undetectable.  I even had a baby 17 months ago and he's negative and healthy.  My friend got tested just to be sure and I encouraged him to do so.  I was wondering if any of you can tell me is the risk low for me to transmit the disease to him since I'm on my meds and undetectable.  BTW, I don't have any other sexually transmitted diseases.  I know we shouldn't have been so fast to jump in the bed, but the moment was there and we took it.  I would appreciate any info I can get.
Thanks
Shari

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: SEX BETWEEN ME AND AN UNINFECTED PERSON
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 04:53:38 pm »
Shari, since you are HIV+ I've moved your thread over here to the LIVING WITH HIV section.

Your having an undetectable viral load certainly reduces the likelihood of transmitting the virus to your friend. It is also more difficult in general to transmit the virus from female to male.

However, low level of risk is not the same thing as no risk. And HIV is not something to gamble about. Whether with this friend or with anyone else you are with in the future, I urge you to make certain the guy is always wearing a condom. There is an issue as far as your health is concerned too. Should you be with someone who has some other STD, you want to avoid catching anything else.

It's good to know you were able to successfully have your baby born HIV negative. Congratulations!

And you should also be commended for being honest with your friend about your HIV status. You're both adults so you'll have to decide whether having unprotected intercourse is acceptable to you or not.

My vote goes for always having the guy wear a condom. One important way we're going to end this epidemic is by cutting down on new infections. Unprotected intercourse is risky.

Cheers, 
Andy Velez

Offline SC-Blondie

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 03:45:39 pm »
Andy,
Thanx for putting my mind at ease.  We've been together again since that first weekend and I told him to use a condom.  First of all, I don't want to pass the disease to him, I don't want to worry about STD's and I don't want anymore kids.  I've got 5 already, so I feel like my baby making days should come to an end.  LOL

As for my baby, Conner, he's doing great.  He's strong as an ox.  He's built like a football player, so I'm sure he'll be on the football field when he's older. 

Again, thanx for replying and I hope to talk to ya later.

Shari

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 04:27:33 pm »
Good deal. Glad you found our exchange to be helpful.

Five kids! WOW! I'm impressed. Sounds like you enjoy them which is good for all concerned.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.