Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:47:32 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 358
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 341
Total: 342

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: to moderators: i am desperately in need of your opinion  (Read 5474 times)

Offline Iamsorry03

to moderators: i am desperately in need of your opinion
« on: May 17, 2012, 12:55:01 am »
Hi Guys,

Since 2006, I am having myself tested for HIV every 6 months consistently. May of last year, I went to another country for work. As part of the employment requirement, I was tested again for HIV around July in which luickily the result was non-reactive.
I began to have sex with multiple partners and some of them are unprotected. I started to feel unwell. No lymph nodes, no oral trush, no rashes or even flu. I just have the genral feeling of being unwell. Something like you feel hot inside your body but if you are measured by a thermometer, my temperature is normal.

My last sex with other person is December 15 because my boyfriend arrived December 16. When my boyfriend arrived, we have occassional unprotected sex too.

Last Feb 24, we went back to my home country to have myself tested again for HIV. The result is non-reactive. Then me and my bf went back to the country where I am working and had unprotected sex again. That was March 10, 2012.

Last April, my bf got a job from the country where I am working. So he needs to undergo the same medical procedures. He was tested Positive :(

Now I am thinking that he got it from me. My boyfriend is always faithful to me and never had an experience with other guys. We are together for about 2 years now. Today, we went back to my hometown to have myself tested as well as him. He got the confirmation that he is Positive while my result is still Negative. Is it possible that I am still in window period? How come that he was tested positive and I am still negative if he only got it from me? How come that I am still negative if our last unprotected sex is March 10? Is there such a thing as immune to HIV?

I dont want to relax as I need to take actions now and I dont want it to be late before I take actions
I am confused on how this is happening.

By the way, Last 2006, I was diagnosed with Hepatitis B and I took Hepsera (adefovir) for 1 year

Pls advise

Offline Iamsorry03

Re: to moderators: i am desperately in need of your opinion
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 05:30:30 am »
I hope someone will take a look and advise.... If you have further questions to clarify my story, pls let me know

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 06:30:13 am »
Sorry,

I removed the post you left in someone else's thread. Do not do that again. If you read the Welcome Thread before posting like you're supposed to, you will have read the following posting guideline:

Only those Moderators and members who are authorized to answer questions in the Am I Infected? forum are permitted do so. Unauthorized responses may be deleted without permission of the poster. Repeatedly posting replies of this nature may result in a Time Out or permanent ban, at the discretion of the Moderator Team.

Please consider yourself warned!

You need to test at three months after your last incident of unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse with anyone for a conclusive negative result.

If your last negative result was at or after six weeks past your last incident of unprotected intercourse, it is highly unlikely to change, but must be confirmed at the three month point.

I almost hate to say it, but if your boyfriend had been infected by you and he's already testing positive, you would be testing positive by now as well. It sounds like your boyfriend isn't being totally honest with you about being faithful.

The only clarification I need from you is how long after your last unprotected intercourse did you test negative. How many weeks/days?

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Iamsorry03

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 11:21:09 am »
Thanks Ann for the reply and for removing the post.
Below are the dates:
Feb 24, 2012 - tested Negative for HIV Antibody
March 10, 2012 - unprotected sex with my bf
April 9, 2012 - unprotected sex with my bf
May 17, 2012 (today) - tested negative using rapid test

Are you saying that if he got it from me, I should be tested positive first before him? But since its otherwise, so most likely he got it from somebody else then I am at risk of being infected because of the dates above?

Is it not dependent on the person's immune system that produces the antibody?
I am thinking that due to my HepB history, my immune system is already depressed thus causing me to take a lot of time in developing an antibody. He is completely healthy that is why it is faster for him to build the antibody... this is just my thought

Given the unprotected sexual act above, is it still possible for me to test negative 3 months from now?

Thanks again and more power

Offline Iamsorry03

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 11:24:05 am »
by the way, the last unprotected that i have with other person (not my bf) is Dec 15, 2011

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 12:19:28 pm »
Sorry,

If you were infected, you most likely would have tested positive at your last test - it was done five weeks and a few days after your last incident of unprotected intercourse. That's nearly six weeks and your result is highly unlikely to change when you confirm at the three month point.

Your hep B history will not affect your hiv testing or your hiv testing window period. You will still seroconvert in the same time-frame as anyone else.

The vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by six weeks, with the average time to seroconversion being only 22 days.

A six week negative is highly unlikely to change, but must be confirmed at the three month point.

So yes, it looks like your boyfriend got his hiv from someone other than you. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

You need to start using condoms regardless of who you are with or what they tell you about their hiv status. You've been playing with fire and if you keep playing with fire, sooner or later you're going to get burned.

Make sure you confirm your negative hiv status at three months past April 9th. (July 2nd)

Here's what you need to know in order to avoid hiv infection:

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together.

To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex without a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results.

Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Ann

edited to fix typo
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 12:25:19 pm by Ann »

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 06:37:47 am »
Sorry,

Something about your situation was nagging me at the back of my mind and I finally realised what it was...

by the way, the last unprotected that i have with other person (not my bf) is Dec 15, 2011

If you were the one to have brought hiv into your relationship, you would have tested hiv positive by now, going by the last time you had unprotected intercourse with someone other than your partner.

Feb 24, 2012 - tested Negative for HIV Antibody

May 17, 2012 (today) - tested negative using rapid test

If you had been infected in (or before) December, your test in February (at ten weeks) would have been positive. It would have been positive without any doubt when you tested again in May.

As your partner has been confirmed hiv positive, you still need further testing to be sure you have not been infected through the unprotected intercourse you have had with him. I do not expect your 39 day (time between bf and your last test) negative to change, but it must be confirmed at the three month point.

If you and your partner love each other, you can get through this new aspect of your relationship. Provided you two start using condoms for intercourse, you will remain hiv negative.

Please learn from this wake-up call and start using condoms with anyone. You've been lucky so far but your luck will run out one day if you carry on as you have been without condoms.

Good luck.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Iamsorry03

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 07:15:00 am »
Hi Ann,

Thanks a bunch for your concern

We just came today from an Infectious Disease doctor so my BF will know the next steps to take after being diagnosed. Some lab tests are requested including CD4 count, complete liver panel tests, kidney, xray etc . They did not bother requesting for the viral load as according to the volunteer outside the clinic, it is not normally being requested due to the poor situation of our country.

Anyways, when we asked her about my situation, she did told me the same thing as what you told me. But to be honest, it is my first time to hear that even if we have been doing unprotected sex for 2 years of being together, I was never infected.

The doctor said that my partner could have contracted it 2 years prior our relationship since it is his first time to get tested and my partner is firm in saying that he never had sex with other person since we started our relationship.

If that is the case, what an amazing immune system I have that I never got infected for 2 years (remember that I am consistently having myself checked every 6 months since 2006).

If I will be tested negative again after 3 months, then there must be something in my blood that is worth studying for :)

Thanks again for taking your time in reading my situation. I really appreciate it big time. I will remember your advise and we are on this fight together.
Surely, I will update you for the results on the next 3 months. On the other hand, I might be active on the other forum "Someone I care about has HIV".

Hugs,
Iamsorry03

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 08:17:34 am »
Sorry,

Thank you for the clarification regarding your partner's testing history. I thought he'd also been testing fairly regularly. And yes, it's true that he was very likely to have been infected before you two got together. People can go for many years without having any idea they're hiv positive. This is why regular testing is so very important.

Some people seem to have a degree of immunity to hiv and you may be one such person. However, hiv really is a difficult virus to transmit and the exact conditions which allow transmission may not have ever been present when you had unprotected intercourse with each other.

You do need to protect yourself going forward now that you know his status. After all, you may not be immune. It's possible that you've just been very, very lucky, so protect yourself and use condoms. That goes for outside your relationship too.

Given the additional information, I'm even more sure that you are going to continue to test negative. You still need to test to make sure, but I think you can relax now.

It's time for you to put yourself to one side and do all you can to support your partner through this. It can take a while to get your head around an hiv diagnosis. All you really need to do right now is to be there for him and let him know you still love him. He's still the same person he was before diagnosis. Don't forget that.

You will be welcome to post in the "Someone" forum. Please keep in mind that is really the only forum you should post in, outside this forum and the Off Topic forum.

Hang in there, and good luck.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Iamsorry03

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2012, 07:11:56 am »
Hi Ann,
I am sorry to bother you again but something in my head is left unanswered

Sorry,

If you were infected, you most likely would have tested positive at your last test - it was done five weeks and a few days after your last incident of unprotected intercourse. That's nearly six weeks and your result is highly unlikely to change when you confirm at the three month point.

Your hep B history will not affect your hiv testing or your hiv testing window period. You will still seroconvert in the same time-frame as anyone else.

The vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by six weeks, with the average time to seroconversion being only 22 days.

A six week negative is highly unlikely to change, but must be confirmed at the three month point.

edited to fix typo

Based on your statements above, I would like to know the difference between the six weeks seroconversion (average of 22 days) and the 3 months (12 weeks) window period.

Thanks,
Iam

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2012, 07:29:03 am »
Hi Ann,
I am sorry to bother you again but something in my head is left unanswered

Based on your statements above, I would like to know the difference between the six weeks seroconversion (average of 22 days) and the 3 months (12 weeks) window period.

Thanks,
Iam

The difference is that almost everyone who is going to test positive will do so by the six week mark. A few unlucky types can take longer than that.

For this reason the accepted timeline for a definitive HIV negative result is 12 weeks.

MtD

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.