Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:56:15 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773220
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 609
Total: 613

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Need Your Expertise  (Read 3844 times)

Offline tednlou2

Need Your Expertise
« on: April 21, 2010, 01:05:05 am »
I just posted a comment in a thread in the last couple days about how my partner insists on performing unprotected oral sex on me.  I said I know it is a very, very low risk.  Still, I said I worry something could happen.  After I was diagnosed, he got tested and tested another time and was negative.

Besides his full-time job, he is a volunteer firefighter.  They do yearly physicals and he got his blood work back tonight.  They don't check for HIV.  He did have some things they wanted him to follow-up on with his doctor.  It is probably nothing, but I'm a little worried.  I'm still pretty ignorant about many things HIV.

His WBC, RBC, Hemoglobin, and Hematocrit were all low:

WBC:  4.04  Ref:  4.50-10.70 k/cumm
RBC:  4.45  Ref:  4.60-6.00/million
Hemoglobin:  13.4  Ref:  13.7-17.6/gm/dl
Hematocrit:  38.4  Ref:  40.4-52.2/%

Would any of these by an indicator of HIV infection?  I always thought when the body was fighting something, the WBC would be higher and know hematocrit is often low in people with HIV.  Since he has wanted to perform oral, I've watched for any signs of seroconversion.  Since his neg tests, he has actually never been ill with anything.  I know the seroconversion illness doesn't always happen with everyone and isn't a good indicator.  I know an HIV test would be in order as it has been about a year since his last.  I'm just wondering if other labs could be a hint of HIV infection that many docs would miss?  If not these labs, other labs that may indicate infection?  As I said, I know oral is a really low risk.  I know it is probably nothing.

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
Re: Need Your Expertise
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 01:21:04 am »
Honestly, he should be getting bi-annual HIV tests just as a precautionary measure regardless of his risk.  I don't think any of those things would in any way indicate a potential HIV infection though.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 01:57:30 am »
None of those lab tests can tell you if your partner is HIV positive.

There's only one way to do that - an HIV antibody test.

MtD

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 02:32:04 am »
I know he needs to be getting tested at least annually.  I was just wondering if HIV can cause certain blood labs to be out of whack and may give docs a clue that something bigger is wrong that they would normally just dismiss when there were signs.  We know to have HIV tests--thinking about those who don't think they need an HIV test and about docs who don't encourage HIV testing and don't even have HIV on their radars.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 02:42:30 am »
I know he needs to be getting tested at least annually.  I was just wondering if HIV can cause certain blood labs to be out of whack and may give docs a clue that something bigger is wrong that they would normally just dismiss when there were signs.  We know to have HIV tests--thinking about those who don't think they need an HIV test and about docs who don't encourage HIV testing and don't even have HIV on their radars.

This doesn't make much sense, Teddy but I can understand why you're worried.

Sure HIV infection can skew other blood test results but not in any specific way. Besides what should be driving the decision for your partner to be HIV tested are appreciable risks.

As you know HIV is transmitted in particular ways. It doesn't waft across the room on your farts during in the night and invade his nostrils.

So if your lover has had an objective risk which is concerning him, he should be tested. If not, then why bother?

MtD

Offline weasel

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 06:44:34 am »
  Hey TednLou ,

My blood work was perfect before I finally progressed to AIDS   YEARS

After I was  infected !

As others have said   .

He NEEDS to be tested !

My partner  is tested EVERY six months !

After 30 years together  all is well  :)

Be safe  get him tested !

Carl

" Live and let Live "

Online leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 09:13:38 am »
So if your lover has had an objective risk which is concerning him, he should be tested. If not, then why bother?
as a precaution to catch an hiv infection early ;), so his partner doesn't die after 10 yrs together, from undiagnosed and untreated hiv (and non-hodgkins lymphoma), like mine did  :'(

leatherman
(who is very sad right now as 2 yrs ago this past week, my partner and I made the decision for him to leave the hospital and go home for his last nine days before passing away. RIP Jim 5/1/08)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 10:30:54 am »
I can see where Matty's coming from, but that's a very reactive way of handling it rather than being proactive.  I would say just get the test done every year or twice a year whether he thinks he needs it or not.  As with all things you're much better safe than sorry.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 04:21:11 pm »
If getting tested every 6 months will give you and your partner peace of mind, then get him tested Teddy.

If the pair of you are always using condoms when you fuck (inside or outside of the relationship) then you should expect your partner to continue to return negative results.

MtD

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 06:03:49 pm »
To end needless woulda, coulda, shoulda, he should get tested. It will ease any guilt you're feeling now and in the future. The very first thing I did when I tested poz was tell my lover at the time that he needed to get tested. It was difficult (he tested negative) but worth the angst. It's much better than walking around with a guilty conscience.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.