Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:12:58 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 373
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 345
Total: 345

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Possible exposure  (Read 3686 times)

Offline TBYUER

• Standard
Possible exposure
« on: January 25, 2014, 12:54:02 pm »
I met a guy online a few hours ago. Before meeting I asked if he was negative n he said yes.

When we met I performed oral sex on him. Later we had anal sex. He had the condom on most of the time. However, there was one part where he put the head of his penis in (just the head). It was in and out, and he performed that action for three times, before I asked him to put the condom on. He later cummed on my face.

After the deed, I asked him again about his status due to the incident, and he said he was negative and was tested a few weeks ago. He said he was just "probing" so it should be fine.

So, considering everything, should I get the PEP? Only the head of his penis was on and he took it out immediately. Would I still be at risk? I feel extremely worried now.

Thank you

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: Possible exposure
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 01:10:41 pm »
Its rare for a HIV transmission to result from a brief dipping episode so I would not recommend PEP .

You did have a risk and will need to test at 6 weeks past any possible exposure and again at 3 months to confirm the result .

Here's what you need to know in order to avoid hiv infection:

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together.

To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex without a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results.

Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv. Some of the other STIs can be present with no obvious symptoms, so the only way to know for sure is to test.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline TBYUER

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 01:23:02 pm »
Thanks for the swift response. I am really unsure whether to get the PEP as I heard about the side effects.

Two things that made me more worried than I usually would be is
1) His face was very thin, n I heard one of the side effects of HIV treatment is the thinning of the face and muscle wasting.
2) After his "dipping" actions, he asked me to insert his penis inside me, that was when I requested the condom. This sort of suggest that he does engage in bareback behaviour.

Also, just to be more informed, is "dipping" less risky? Is the HIV virus only capable of infecting cells further inside the rectum? The thing is many guys seem to enjoy rubbing their penis on the lip of my anus as a form of foreplay. Is this an activity I should avoid?

Thank you n sorry if I sound ignorant I dont really have much experience n its hard to distinguish correct information from incorrect ones.

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 02:15:58 pm »
... Two things that made me more worried than I usually would be is
1) His face was very thin, n I heard one of the side effects of HIV treatment is the thinning of the face and muscle wasting.
2) After his "dipping" actions, he asked me to insert his penis inside me, that was when I requested the condom. This sort of suggest that he does engage in bareback behaviour.

Also, just to be more informed, is "dipping" less risky? Is the HIV virus only capable of infecting cells further inside the rectum? The thing is many guys seem to enjoy rubbing their penis on the lip of my anus as a form of foreplay. Is this an activity I should avoid?...

You cannot tell the status of a person, based on appearance, only testing will confirm a status.  Someone rubbing their penis against your anus, is not a risk for HIV infection.  Use condoms for all penetrative sex and you will avoid HIV infection.

Joe

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 02:48:48 pm »
As I said previously dipping rarely leads to HIV infections but it should be avoided because it is a risk and can also lead to the impression that you are willing to bare back and one thing lead to another in the heat of the moment .

Frottage or rubbing is not a risk because it does not involve penetration . HIV is far to fragile to be a risk factor in Frottage or rubbing .

I would expect a negative result when you test .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline TBYUER

• Standard
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 07:15:13 pm »
So I have been reading all previous threads on the risk of receptive "dipping" and understand that the risk is low. However, there is still a risk and I am thinking about getting the PEP just in case. How serious is the side effect of the PEP? Is it worth taking it for the peace of mind? I read on this site that some ppl got infected through unprotected receptive dipping so I am really worried. If I do test positive after 3 months I feel be feeling like such an idiot for not being willing to endure some short term discomfort and catching something so permanent. Also am I able to have sex while on PEP? Would it affect my appearance?

If I do decide to get the PEP I do hope to start it within 24 hours of exposure.

Thanks again. I greatly appreciate the advise I am getting

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2014, 07:29:21 pm »
Its your choice if you want to pursue PEP . The side effects can be from zero to significant from person to person . PEP extends to testing period to 6 weeks post pep and again at 3 months to confirm it . PEP will not affect your appearance , it takes years on them for some HIV meds to do that if at all . 

Pep is effective if taken within 72 hours of exposure .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2014, 07:48:31 am »
TBY,

You need to stop relying on what people tell you about their hiv status and start assuming ANYONE you hook up with is hiv positive and protect yourself accordingly by using condoms for any anal (or vaginal) intercourse. Very often people only assume they are hiv negative and sometimes people lie.

Unless you're in the habit of regular hiv testing (like you should be), for all you know you might be hiv positive too and in reality be one of those people who only thinks he's hiv negative.

You should also be regularly testing for all the other, MUCH more easily transmitted infections. While this dipping episode was on the lower end of the risk scale, you were very much more at risk for STIs like chlamydia, gonorrhea, and syphilis.

All of these STIs can be present with no obvious symptoms, so the ONLY way to know is to test. You should be aware that syphilis shares a three month testing window with hiv for a conclusive negative result. Syphilis is much more prevalent than hiv, so test.

Ann

Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.