Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 11:27:33 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772782
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 228
Total: 229

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Just out of the hospital  (Read 11206 times)

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
Just out of the hospital
« on: July 13, 2010, 02:05:05 pm »
My lucky streak of "non-hospitalization" ran out....last Friday, I got extremely ill.  Throwing up, violent chills, high fever, and difficulty breathing....dehydrated, and disoriented and confused.... partner called 911 and ambulance took me to a local ER.   Their diagnosis (by x-ray) was pneumonia....but not sure if they were reading it correctly, since I have a paralyzed left diaphragm...

So they called the ID doctor on-call at UAB in Birmingham, and transferred me there by ambulance at 4 am on Saturday;  they ran some tests, blood work, urinalysis, xrays, etc...I basically got NO definitive diagnosis, but they just pumped me full of IV antibiotics, and sent me home on two Z packs....

I feel better, but my breathing is still "off"; very short of breath at times.  The on-call bitch at UAB REFUSED to contact my cardiologist, and I am still pissed about that; she did not think it was a 'cardiac incident'...DUH, I have congestive heart failure, I can't breathe, and my heart rate is through the roof and extremely irregular? ?  ?

To say I was pissed off is the understatement of the year....

Not sure if it was a viral thing, infection, or what; white blood count was high, and came down with antibiotics....so it must have been.  But where?  No answers....

Will keep you posted on how I'm doing.  Just taking it easy at home for now.

Hugs, Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: Just out of the hospital
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 02:08:37 pm »
Alan, I'm so sorry to hear that you're dealing with this and can't get a resolute answer.  I know that must be doubly frustrating.  Keep us posted and I'll be sure to keep you in my thoughts.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline heartforyou

• I must be a survivor in many ways...
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 02:19:09 pm »
Honey,

So sorry you had to go throught this shit.
I hope they can determine what caused it.

Unprofessional healthcarestaff is indeed a piss-off....

I really hope you can get back to your old self soon.
Please keep us posted. And get better sooooooon.

Love

Hermie
Infected 1983. Diagnosed in 1987 and still kicking
Dovato once daily. Hydrea

Happiness is the freedom of breathing fresh air every day.

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 02:24:10 pm »
Alan, so sorry to hear of your illness and since the bone-head nurse won't call your cardiologist, why don't you? I have CHF as well and anytime I have a hard time breathing, my cardiologist is one of my first calls. If it was an infection, you may still have some fluid in your lungs, which would cause the labored breathing. Maybe you need a diuretic for a bit, to help you shed any extra fluid.

Take good care of yourself and keep us posted.

Offline MarcoPoz

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 03:40:47 pm »
Alan,

Welcome back!  Ok it sucks that you had to go in.  Take it VERY easy!!! Don't scare us like that again  ;)

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 05:38:26 pm »
Oh Alan, damn it!  I hate that happened to you, and that the nurse wouldn't call your cardiac doctor.   I agree with Killfoile, about you calling him.  Please?  And let us know how you're doing.  I'll really be thinking about you!
  luv ya,
Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 06:41:06 pm »
Hi Alan , sorry to hear about your being sick . You are in my thoughts .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 07:30:12 pm »
Alan,

Sorry to hear that you had a rough time of it.  Hope you are doing better.

Take care and keep us posted.

Best.
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 11:08:16 pm »
Alan honey, you just relax and don't give that cow at UAB another thought.

Once you are back to your old self, then we'll give her a good what for, but for now, just get better.

You know, there will be copious amounts of healing and positive energy heading your way.

BIG GET WELL SOON HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2010, 07:46:18 am »
Hey Alan,

Sorry to hear about the rough time you've been having. Hurry up and get better soon.
Thinking of you and wishing you a speedy recovery.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline bear60

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 02:55:49 pm »
I'm sending you a big {{{{{HUG}}}}}}} and hope you take your own advice and take it easy at home for awhile.

Joel
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2010, 09:27:38 am »
I'm thinking happy thots for a speedy complete recovery for your Alan.
Take Care & Feel Better!  :-*
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2010, 09:42:36 am »
Allan...on-call ER Doctors almost NEVER call your Doctor, and tell them ANYTHING, I know this for a fact cuz that's the way it is, I hope you contacted your Cardiologist about your ER-Visit for at least a follow-up
and I hope that your ok, I hate going to the ER, and doing tests, and doing follow-ups, and they still cannot
find out what's wrong, I've been to the ER twice this yr. so, I know how you feel, I have a strange feeling my problem is the long-term-affects of all of the MEDS, aging and having HIV/AIDS for last 22 yrs. medical-professionals still haven't even touched the surface of these long-term-affects, and what they are staring to do to us LTS  ???
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 09:49:46 am by denb45 »
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline AlanBama

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2010, 10:24:06 am »
Thanks everyone, for the thoughts, prayers, and well-wishes.

Still not doing so great; short of breath, headaches, and just don't feel 'right'...something is amiss.  My own doctor didn't seem too pleased about the ER situation, and wants to see me this afternoon.   He has contacted my cardiologist as well, so hopefully we'll get to the bottom of this (and soon!)

HUGS to all,

Alan

PS - I hate being sick!
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2010, 05:52:23 am »
Alan, I'll be anxiously awaiting the conclusions from your doctor, and hopefully your cardiologist.  I sure hope you feel better soon! :-*
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

Offline AlanBama

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2010, 02:31:08 pm »
They are stating definitively that this was bacterial pneumonia.   Just to be on the 'safe' side, I'm going to have an echo-cardiogram a little ahead of schedule (normally in Oct or Nov) and go ahead and do it now.

Feeling better as each day goes by.  It is sort of scary to me to know just how bad my memory has become...they asked me when was the last time I had a CT scan of my torso....said I couldn't remember, was probably years ago.  They looked back in my record, and I had one last Fall.   I have no memory of this....when you have had a zillion medical procedures done to you over 20-something years, they tend to all become a big blur....

The X-ray of my lungs is a bit frightening to see...my left lung appears to be about half the size of my right (it is 'elevated' due to the unilateral paralysis of the left diaphragm).   Guess I won't be playing any woodwind instruments in the near future..... ;)

Thanks again everyone for the concern, prayers and well-wishes.  Thanks Lis for calling me honey, it was so good to talk to you.  Sorry if I scared you with my 'hospital' post.   I'm going to be fine.

My last hospitalization was 1999, and prior to that I was in numerous times throughout the decade.   It is shocking to me to see how the "level of care" has decreased....doctors don't put "hands on" you much, nurses surely don't....they barely listened to my lungs, let alone my heart....   My doctor in Atlanta would examine me with a fine-toothed comb, and the staff at DeKalb Med. Ctr. in Atlanta was fantastic....I am now realizing how much of my L.T. Survival is due to their care and diligence.   Medical care now is given through the aid of a computer screen, with a 'pull down' menu.   I know it has got to be helpful that medical records are computerized, but I swear I can't see a whole lot of benefit to it to me, personally.   You still have to give your entire history each and every time a new doctor sees you,
and it really made it hit home with me once again how much YOU are responsible for your own medical care.   My partner is a retired nurse; thankfully, he knows what's what, and we have basically come up with our own diagnoses over the past few years...and the doctors seem to expect that.   It's like "what's wrong with you?  you tell us, so we'll know how to treat it".

I still say no one has a clue about the long term effects of having AIDS, and taking so much medicine for 20+ years...that is never mentioned or referred to, and I find that unbelievable.  (I sound like Moffie now don't I?)   I wonder if the newbies got seriously ill with some of the O.I.'s that we had, just how all that would "go down" nowadays.....don't mean to sound callous, but I can't worry too much about it, it's all I can do to take care of myself.

Love and hugs to all of you, my dear fellow LTSers.  It's quite a 'club' we belong to, isn't it?  It's terrible, and sometimes wonderful at the same time.   I am thankful I'm connected with all of you....

Alan   :-*

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2010, 06:44:03 pm »
Alan

I totally missed this until someone mentioned it during a phone call.

I'm glad to hear they have sorted it out, but am so sorry to hear you were in the hospital. 

Take care of yourself and keep us posted on progress.

RAB   :-*

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2010, 01:42:27 am »
Alan, I am so glad you are starting to feel better and they have finally figured out what is going on, or at least you figured it out for them.

I still say no one has a clue about the long term effects of having AIDS, and taking so much medicine for 20+ years...that is never mentioned or referred to, and I find that unbelievable.  (I sound like Moffie now don't I?)   I wonder if the newbies got seriously ill with some of the O.I.'s that we had, just how all that would "go down" nowadays.....don't mean to sound callous, but I can't worry too much about it, it's all I can do to take care of myself.

Love and hugs to all of you, my dear fellow LTSers.  It's quite a 'club' we belong to, isn't it?  It's terrible, and sometimes wonderful at the same time.   I am thankful I'm connected with all of you....

Alan   :-*

We are finally starting to talk about this here. We had a day-long seminar about things facing people with HIV, and LTS issues were included for a portion of that day

I am also going to attend a discussion with one of the doctors from University of New Mexico Hospital called "HIV and Aging, A Discussion with Consumers."

I agree with you though. Not enough is being researched on this.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2010, 06:33:01 am »

I so agree with you on this, Alan.  Even though I only work part-time, by the end of the work week, I'm exhausted.  And no one I work with understands this (or most of my other friends).  I was trying to explain it to my doctor, and he said "because of this...." and on his computer screen was a list of diagnoses.  I couldn't read them, but I can tell you I believe most of them are due to long-term HIV infection (or the meds).

Anyway, I'm glad you're feeling somewhat better.  Please take care of yourself, and let us know what's going on! Glad you're going to get an echo.  Those are always helpful with things of the heart. 
  Luv you,
Betty

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2010, 07:21:04 am »
Alan,
I'm sorry to hear about your lastest troubles. I'm relieved that your are getting better though. Keep up the good fight. And give em hell, like only you can. Hang tough buddy, I'm pulling for you big time
Love,
Jeff
Positive since 1985

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2010, 10:46:50 am »
I am sending you big hugs Alan,

Sorry I didn't respond to this sooner. Life has been getting so complicated and I have been forgetting to check in with my "family" here. That has to change.

Love,
Sharkie

Offline AlanBama

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2010, 01:00:28 pm »
Thanks guys, I am doing a whole lot better.   Still fatigue quite easily, but my breathing is much smoother.

Not quite sure why I have never been referred to a pulmonologist or respiratory therapist, since my left diaphragm is paralyzed...will discuss this with my ID doc in August.

Now I am left with the 'aftermath' -- the BILLS.  Get this bullshit:  I am a 'charity care' patient at UAB.
That coverage is supposed to cover all (including medicare) copays and deductibles.   My yearly coverage "expired" in June, and I filled out a long form and made a gillion copies to send to them to recertify at the first of July.  They sent me a letter stating my Charity Care is 'approved', with an effective date of 7-12-10, which is one day after I got out of the hospital.   Medicare hospital admittance is $1,000, plus all the other copays, ambulance trips, etc., plus the ER bill from the local hospital I was first taken to came to over $9,000 (still haven't figured out how; all they did was blood work, urinalysis, X rays, and hung some fluids).  I am going to try to get my caseworker to help me resolve this mess, since my income was CERTAINLY no better (actually no change at all) during the brief period my Charity Care "lapsed" before they bothered to reinstate me; the clowns should be able to look at my record and see that I have been covered continuously since 2007....

Will keep you all posted.

Many thanks, and hugs --
Alan

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2010, 02:32:12 pm »
Alan  so happy to hear you are feeling better...keep working on it.... 

but  the bills issues can be solved....  much as they hate it  Hospitals  are very negotiable....when you and/ or the case workers tell them you cant pay  they will  make an offer to settle for monthly payments  dont accept it  keep pushing for complete relief... eventually you get to the real decider (   his/her telephone is unlisted)  but the locals can connect you....  decide in advance   ( like going to auctions)  what you can pay and dont give that number till they get very close to it in there offer.    if possible  find out what Medicare/Insurance  get for rates...  same is true for ambulance.....   the Medicare  $1000 is a difficult one...if Hospital/Drs  give you a break  on this   they are obliged under the law to give that same to every one.   law requires that they collect copays as agreed in contract....but if you stonewall them  they will send collections after you and make you miserable......maybe ADAP can help with copays...

thnx for the good news,  try not to stress too much over the money crap....

Nick
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.