Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:27:55 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 696
Total: 697

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Unsure of my risk of exposure  (Read 7671 times)

Offline Not+Im-

Unsure of my risk of exposure
« on: May 23, 2011, 01:38:57 am »

I searched extensively on here but couldn't find a thread for my specific case.

Basically, I had a one off sexual encounter with a prostitute. Protection was used, but shortly after penetration(vaginal) the condom broke. Luckily she realised this almost immediately and I pulled out seconds after. She wasn't secreting large volumes of vaginal fluids at this time.

While I don't feel this episode poses a significant risk, another forum suggests that if a condom breaks, this poses as much risk as not wearing a condom at all. I find this incredibly hard to believe, but now there is this horrible lingering doubt that is messing with my mind. Surely if I pulled out instantly it can't be the same as a fully unprotected session of sex?

What didn't help was contracting the flu -- only a very mild strain and for one day -- about 2 months after the incident.

The lady I was with seemed to have impeccable standards of hygeine, and as stated it was her and not me that noticed the break, so should I be at all worried about this?

I would greatly appreciate any feedback people have to offer on what the real risks of my exposure are.

Many thanks!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: Unsure of my risk of exposure
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 08:30:53 am »
You are correct that your risk was a low level one. Until it broke the condom protected you. So it was a very brief and one-time only possible exposure. Also greatly in your favor against having transmission occur is that it is significantly harder to transmit HIV from female to male than the other way around.

So although the risk was extremely low, the wise thing is to get tested at 13 weeks and collect what I expect will be a conclusively negative result.

There is nothing HIV-specifc about your symptoms. If they persist you should discuss them with your doctor.

I expect you to come out of this ok.

Cheers.
Andy Velez

Offline Not+Im-

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 12:55:31 pm »

Thanks for your advice.

I guess I was hoping my risk was too low to warrent going for a test. I really hate clinics and would be prepared to draw a line under this unless there is a real possibility of me being infected?

If you do recommend a test: which self testing kit would you suggest?

Thanks again!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 01:00:48 pm »
Not,

There are no self-test kits available in the part of the world you're posting from that we would recommend. The ONLY test kit approved for home use anywhere is the Home Access test and that is not available where you're posting from.

You're just going to have to go to a GUM clinic and get tested. You need to test for all the other, much more easily transmitted infections as well anyway as you were much more at risk for something like chlamydia or gonorrhea through this incident than you were at risk for hiv. And don't think that because you don't have symptoms of chlamydia or gonorrhea that you couldn't possibly have either, because up to 70% of men who have chlamydia have no symptoms.

Just go to a clinic and get the necessary tests and get it over with. It's the only way. As a sexually active adult you should be getting a full sexual health care check up at least once a year anyway.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Not+Im-

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 08:45:12 pm »

Thank you Ann, your input is greatly appreciated.

I just have one final question and then I 'm done for now:

Is my risk level of HIV infection real or more theoretical? Do you know of any documented cases where transmission has occurred where the condom broke and the insertive partner withdrew immediately?

I've noticed in some threads you say no testing is necessary, but in my case you seem to be urging a test -- something which has made me feel uneasy.

Thank you again!

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 08:51:38 pm »
Ann has always stated she knows of no one that has tested positive from a condom break but she always advised them to test. So the advice she gave you is not out of her norm.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 08:59:58 pm »
It's just doing the safe  thing. Like Ann I expect you to test negative.
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 07:46:25 am »
Not,

It's true what Rodney says that in ten years in this forum, I've yet to see the insertive partner end up poz over a condom break - but things like gonorrhea and chlamydia are a whole 'nuther kettle of fish. Particularly chlamydia, which is very common in your part of the world. Just get to your GUM clinic and have a full sexual health care check up. It's what responsible, sexually active adults do, not only for their own sake, but also the sake of any future partners. Do it. Untreated and asymptomatic STIs like chlamydia can cause all sorts of problems down the line. (It's one of the leading causes of infertility in women.)

As this forum's main remit is hiv, I won't say anything else about the other, more easily transmitted STIs. Just go get a complete check-up.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Not+Im-

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011, 08:38:42 pm »
 I've remembered something which has helped me relax a bit, and boy did I need it!

My flu symptoms at 4 weeks were as follows( I originally thought it was 8 weeks but I counted the days out) :  

* Fever.
    * Shaking chills.
    * Muscle or joint aches.
    * Headache
    * A vague feeling of illness (malaise).

Now these are horribly close to ARS symptomsand slap bang in the average contraction time.  And, since I haven't had the flu in years -- or anything like it before -- it's hardly surprising my mind was going into overdrive.

But today I remembered I had a bite on my leg with a blister full of fluid. This(please God) explains the sudden onset of my symptoms.

http://www.revolutionhealth.com/conditions/first-aid-safety/first-aid-treatment/insect-bites/flu-like-symptoms

My illness started in the night when I couldn't get any sleep. The next morning I developed the aching and chills, headache etc. I went to bed early with a fever and awaoke the next morning soaked in sweat. So all in all my condition lasted for 2 days. I was planning to see a doctor in the morning but it was totally cleared up and didn't recur.

Finally, to the question: has anyone heard of a seroconversion only lasting such a brief period like the above? Am I safe to assume that it is almost certain that this bite was the cause of my ailment?

It really was a welcome rememberance that I had a bite as I was rapidly entering panic mode!!

« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 08:41:32 pm by Not+Im- »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2011, 06:25:25 am »
Not,

We cannot diagnose you over the internet and you cannot diagnose yourself either. Get your butt down to a clinic and get a full sexual health check up. Our answers about this are not going to change, so just go do what you need to do. OK?

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Not+Im-

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2011, 07:09:31 am »

I went to get tested today for the full range of STDs.

What a horrible experience! *shudders*

And to make matters worse, I have to wait until Tuesday until I get any results for HIV/ Hep. B

At least I tested negative for Gonorrhea, Chlamydia and any of the other minor infections, but that is hardly going to help me relax.

This whole experience is taking years off my life! :'(

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2011, 07:43:21 am »
Not,

I think you'll live until next Tuesday. When I go for my quarterly hiv labs, I have to wait until my next quarterly labs before I get my previous results. If I can wait three months, you can wait a week. I live in the IoM and have to fly to Liverpool for my hiv health care - that's why I have to wait. I've been doing this for ten years now and if I can survive ten years of protracted waits, you can and will survive one short one.

Don't be surprised when you test hiv negative.

BTW, if you test negative for hep B, you'd be wise to ask to have the vaccination course for hep B.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Not+Im-

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2011, 09:43:28 am »

The lady at the clinic very kindly just rang to give me my results early. Thankfully, all were negative! That was really decent of her and has saved me a monumental amount of stress!

A big thank you to all the mods here: without your no-nonsense and direct responses, I'm sure I'd have delayed testing and put myself through more unnecessary torture!

I want you to know that what you do really helps and makes a difference to how people act and think!

Thank you once again!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2011, 09:49:25 am »
I'm very happy to hear your results were all negative.

Just make sure to always use condoms for vaginal and anal intercourse and you will continue to be well protected sexually from HIV.

Cheers.
Andy Velez

Offline Not+Im-

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2011, 02:30:50 pm »

I'm not worried anymore, but I just want to ask if any further testing is advisable.

Now, I know that  my condom break incident is nothing to worry about -- I tested negative 3 months (12 weeks exactly)after the incident-- however, I did have intercourse two times with two different partners after this -- 4 and 5 weeks before I got tested.

I used a condom for both encounters, but I just want to relay something about these events in case it is important.

On both occasions I had sex with the girl more than once in the night. In between each act I removed the condom and, both times, the girl slid on top of me and we kissed etc. Looking back, my penis came into contact with the opening of the vagina, but I didn't fully penetrate. I'm concerned that the head of my penis could have entered the vagina at least partially.

Now, I have had zero symptoms and I'm aware that the average seroconversion time is 22 days -- meaning my last test would have probably picked up any antibodies, but, as my last act of sex was within the 6 week 'window', should I go through the test again?

I'd be interested to hear any opinion on this.

Offline Not+Im-

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2011, 08:10:09 am »

The clinic just rang me and delivered the news that I have Gonorrhea!? Despite the initial results on the day showing up negative, the oral swab test that was sent to the lab detected the infection.

All the other results showed up negative, but should I be concerned now? I read that having Gonorrhea can increase the odds of HIV transmission!? Is this only when symptoms occur?

My last act of sexual intercourse was 4 weeks before my HIV test and protected. But, as I outlined in my post above, I'm concerned my penis may have come into contact with her vagina.I didn't fully penetrate, this I'm fully sure of.

Please help, I was just starting to relax and now this! :'(

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2011, 10:02:08 am »
Not,

You have tested negative for hiv for the only risk you had - which was the condom break. You are conclusively hiv negative. You do not have hiv and having gonorrhea does not change that fact.

While what you describe in reply #14 was not a risk for hiv infection, you certainly could have picked up gonorrhea from it. STIs like gonorrhea and chlamydia are MUCH more easily transmitted than hiv, as I have repeatedly told you.

The only time STIs like gonorrhea or chlamydia are going to increase your risk for hiv infection is if you are having unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. IT REALLY IS THAT SIMPLE!!!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Not+Im-

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2011, 10:39:10 am »

Thank you very much for your response, Ann.

I guess the only reason I'm worried is due to the fact my last act of intercourse occurred during the possible 'window period'.

The condom break was 12 weeks so that's conclusive, but would 4 weeks normally show positive, or at least indeterminate for most cases? If the average seroconversion time is 22 days, so surely this would be the case, right?

If you think I don't need to test again I will follow your advice.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2011, 11:06:14 am »
Not,

For the last time, your last incident of intercourse was PROTECTED and therefore NO RISK for hiv.

You do not need further hiv testing at this time.

Here's what you need to know in order to avoid hiv infection:

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together.

To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex without a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

ALTHOUGH YOU DO NOT NEED FURTHER HIV TESTING AT THIS TIME, anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results.

Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv. (As you found out!)

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Not+Im-

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2011, 05:03:47 pm »

But the lady in the clinic told me my initial results were 98% accurate for the Gonorrhea test, yet now they drop this bombshell on me!? Unless there is a difference between throat Gonorrhea and the penile kind?

Anyway, I guess I'll just cling to the fact that I tested neg at 4 weeks which more than likely is good enough.

Thank you very much for your support Ann!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2011, 09:57:27 am »
Not,

You can read about gonorrhea and gonorrhea testing here and here. Please keep in mind that this is an hiv forum only - if you have further questions about gonorrhea or the testing methods used at the clinic you attended, then please ask at the clinic.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.