Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 10:50:59 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772781
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 236
Total: 237

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: SUSHI?  (Read 17809 times)

Offline shadowfluid

• Mike
SUSHI?
« on: May 17, 2008, 09:58:20 pm »
Just wanted to know if it's ok for us pozzies to eat sushi. Thanks.
Jan 08       321/23%  VL 92,000 (very mild shingles)
Feb 1 08    Start Truvada+Viramune
March 08    470/33%  VL 320
mid-May     Start Reyataz/Norvir/Truvada
June 08      571/ 40%     VL   80
August 08   585/ 33%     VL >50
Nov  Lab error!!!!!!!!wah.
Jan 09        535      Undetectable
March 11     756

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: SUSHI?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 10:10:26 pm »
A hotly debated topic.

In general eating raw meat and fish (sashimi) is frowned upon, but there are those who argue that provided the fish is very fresh, prepared in a hygenic manner and your numbers are "ok" then you should have no problems.

I suspect it's a matter of common sense.

MtD

Offline dusty99

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 10:14:39 pm »
I wasn't even aware that eating sushi was an issue, I always thought it was good for me. why is it an issue?
17 Mar 08: diagnosed
31 Mar 08 CD4: 565,  30%  VL: 28,900
21 May 08 CD4: 600,  37%  VL: 13,000
25 Oct 08  CD4: 308   34%  VL: 68,000
19 Nov 08 Started Atripla
16 Dec 08  CD4: 580   42% VL: 70
27 Jan 09  CD4: 490   41%  VL: undetectable
24 Mar 09  CD4: 565   42%  VL: undetectable
30 Jun 09  CD4: 615    41% VL: undetectable
25 Sep 09  CD4: 595    47% VL: undetectable

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 10:20:40 pm »
It's an issue of food-borne pathogens and our limited immunity.

Raw food products like sashimi, (not all sushi is uncooked) are more likely to carry dangerous bugs like salmonella than cooked food products.

MtD

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 10:41:13 pm »
I really find this as much of an issue as regards to the pozzie in question's cd4 level as much as I do the hygenic quality of the prep area.  My immunity is not limited at the moment, thank you very much.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 10:43:51 pm »
My immunity is not limited at the moment, thank you very much.

Ah, but you're limited in other ways. ;)

MtD

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2008, 10:44:49 pm »
I see our Man in the Orient™ hovering at present.  Hopefully he can offer guidance about raw fish.

Offline cubbybear

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2008, 03:06:37 am »
I've eaten sushi for years, even whilst my cd4 count was only 35... but doesn't mean it'll work for you.  I am always fussy where I buy it from. 

Offline cocoboogie

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2008, 07:53:32 am »
I have eaten sushi and raw oysters. I have low CD4 and have not experienced any issues from consumption.  I know eating raw seafood is risky for anyone regardless of health.

But this is the first time I am hearing this is an issue for poz folks.  My doctor never mentioned it to me.  I will ask on my next visit.  I love seafood and it would be hard to give it up
Date    CD4  VL
11/07  20     56,000 started chemo for KS
4/08    12     60,000 started Kaletra and Truvada
5/08    14     820
6/08    19     Undetectable stopped chemo
7/08   149    Undetectable  
8/09   247    undetectable
6/10   498    undetectable
1/11   408    undetectable
4/11   402    undetectable  
5/11   511    undetectable
11/11  599   undetectable
7/12    439   undetectable
3/13     479 undectectable
9/13 645  undectectable

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2008, 08:19:16 am »
I have had sushi for 30 years and have had no problems....maybee i had too much soy sauce
Positive since 1985

Offline dusty99

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2008, 08:26:59 am »
OK, well I don't usually do sushimi, I am a spider roll, kind of guy. and deals like that, so, I should be good then.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2008, 08:31:08 am »
My first ID doc, back in like 1990, gave me a video about nutrition facts for people with HIV.  It warned about raw foods including sushi, bleu cheese, casear dressing (raw eggs) etc.  Of course, those were different times.  I personally detest sushi and just about everything fish, but that's just me.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2008, 11:11:21 am »
I'll just be clear about what I said previously -- if I had a low cd4 count (and the conservative in me would include anything below 3/400) I'd not touch raw things.  Once you get above that there is less risk, though certainly still some risk.  Once you're up to 7/800 you're fairly "normal" again so I see no more harm than anyone else.

Most caesar dressing, mayonnaise etc. that comes from a grocery store in a jar is not an issue as far as I know, Betty (they use some pasteurized alternative).  It's not the same as being made from raw eggs at home -- and by the way, if you've never made your own mayonnaise from scratch you do NOT know what you are missing.

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2008, 11:32:03 am »
When my CD4 count was low, I was advised not to eat Sushi, and to avoid raw eggs like those in eggnog. I was also advised to avoid Oysters and Beef Tartare. Now that my CD4 count is higher that might be moot advice, but I wouldn't touch anything on that list to begin with. I'd puke.  :D

Daniel
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline bear60

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2008, 11:37:19 am »
Well, my CD4 count is "normal" most of the time but fish has consistently been something that I watch out for.  I dont mean raw fish only, I'm talking about fish that has gotten old or not handled properly.  Fish prepared at home is not what I refer to, but rather fish prepared at a restaurant.  If its a good seafood house or sushi house with a good reputation thats a good bet.  
But still, foolishly, I have gotten really really sick from eating fish that was not prepared properly (or was old) several times and I KNEW I should not order fish at the type place we were at.
The first time I got sick from bad fish was at a new-ish restaurant that a freind took me to.  He wanted to show off this place.  I didnt like that the fish wasnt well cooked and sent it back.  To no avail....that night I shit the bed twice and had stomach cramps like you would not believe.
Kurt and I were at a barbeque and the guys planning the event had gone to great effort to buy a HUGE piece of good tuna fish and cooked it on the grill.  Kurt and I did not eat any.  Everyone who ate some of it got sick.
The most recent time I got sick from eating fish was at a spot we go to a lot.  This restaurant had hired a new chef and had a new menu.  I tried the "fish and chips". Got sick that night.  I will never again order fish there.
I just get tired of watching out for fish so i usually dont order it.  And the sad thing is that Kurt will not eat any seafood at all...not even shrimp....so I never get any at home.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2008, 12:28:21 pm »
One can get food poisoning from lots of things at ANY cd4 count.  I never got food poisoning from anything during all of those years I had a low cd4 count, but then got it just last year (I've had +1000 cd4 count now for 18 months) from eating a "Bentley" salad at Salad Works.

Offline bear60

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2008, 12:41:56 pm »
I know that food poisoning can be gotten from eating any number of things....but I have never had food poisoning from anything but seafood.

Offline rondrond

• 22 years HIV+ yet a yard could be the death of me
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2008, 01:34:28 pm »
My first ID doc, back in like 1990, gave me a video about nutrition facts for people with HIV.  It warned about raw foods including sushi, bleu cheese, casear dressing (raw eggs) etc.  Of course, those were different times.  I personally detest sushi and just about everything fish, but that's just me.

I only eat fish prepared in three ways:
    *tuna in a can
    *salmon in a can
    *fish sticks
I once had a date while in Dallas who took me to the Antares, the restaurant at the top of that revolving ball. I was in shorts, and a tie was required. Overlooking my shorts, and furnishing a tie we were seated and I had to go to the bathroom. Upon my return , there were Cocktails already served, James knew what I liked as we had been at a club 'Happy Hour" and I sat watching the scenery slowly change as the reaturant revolved showing sights of Dallas-to Fort Worth. After a whiile , being hungry, I realized that I had not placed an order for food as the waiter started setting up for food delivery and James hastily replied that he hoped I did not mind, but he had ordered for me while in the bathroom. A huge reddend lobster with yellowed eyes and white stuff vomiting forth from its mouth was set before me. I was horrified and like a petulant child whined that I don't eat seafood and was almost ready to throw up. He called the waiter over and gave the indication to me to order what I wanted. We spent the evening while he ate both lobsters while I happily munched out on a cheeseburger and fries ::)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 02:12:44 pm by rondrond »
"I'm not done yet"....Glen Campbell

"I may not be exactly where I want to be, but I sure as Hell am not where I was"
Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

04jul07/DVT-right leg/Bi Lateral PE's     
16oct08/DVT-left leg
Aug09 Diagnosed: COPD

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2008, 01:46:50 pm »
I'm craving moules frites now, and beer.

Offline bear60

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2008, 01:54:09 pm »
I hate dishes that requires one to get a dictionary to translate the damn thing.  But none the less it sounds fabulous:
http://www.shellfish-lovers.com/moules-marinieres.shtml
I like those "mussles" on a swarthy Turkish oil wrestler tho.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2008, 01:58:04 pm »
I've only had food poisoning one time and that was from a sandwich that had mayo on it and had sat under a heating lamp too long. 

How anyone can eat any of that exotic seafood stuff is beyond me (like mussel0.  It must be an aquired taste.  I do love egg nog, though.

Edited to take out double wording.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 05:48:16 pm by Bettytacy »
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

Offline bear60

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2008, 02:06:35 pm »
Ron...
You and Kurt would get along famously. Kurt will eat tuna sandwiches he makes with tuna from a can....only albacore and no oil....packed in water.  And of course he fixes a lunch made up entirely of Mrs Pauls fish sticks. ::) ;D
There are lots of good Italian seafood places here and I do like mussles with marinara sauce.  My motto usually is eat seafood where it is the main thing on the menu ...not an afterthought.  That pretty much assures its fresh.
Joel

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2008, 02:08:20 pm »
I hate dishes that requires one to get a dictionary to translate the damn thing.  But none the less it sounds fabulous:

Really?  Then next time you and I go out to dinner we'll have to go the the Belgian mussels place I recently found on Lombard!  It's supposedly excellent.

http://www.zotrestaurant.com/

Offline rondrond

• 22 years HIV+ yet a yard could be the death of me
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2008, 02:15:56 pm »
Ron...
You and Kurt would get along famously. Kurt will eat tuna sandwiches he makes with tuna from a can....only albacore and no oil....packed in water.  And of course he fixes a lunch made up entirely of Mrs Pauls fish sticks. ::) ;D
There are lots of good Italian seafood places here and I do like mussles with marinara sauce.  My motto usually is eat seafood where it is the main thing on the menu ...not an afterthought.  That pretty much assures its fresh.
Joel

:D I like my fishsticks with tater tots. I should have felt bad that he had to pay for two lobsters, (I understand that they are not cheap) but I thought that he should have asked me first, or let me order. ahh. the old days when I was young and could get away with stuff like that...
"I'm not done yet"....Glen Campbell

"I may not be exactly where I want to be, but I sure as Hell am not where I was"
Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

04jul07/DVT-right leg/Bi Lateral PE's     
16oct08/DVT-left leg
Aug09 Diagnosed: COPD

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2008, 06:51:15 pm »

Me, too.  And sushi is pretentious sissy food.   :P
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2008, 07:00:11 pm »
Me, too.  And sushi is pretentious sissy food.   :P

I'm sure if you could get it through a drive-through window with 5 packets of ketchup on it you'd be there every afternoon.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2008, 07:07:27 pm »
I'm sure if you could get it through a drive-through window with 5 packets of ketchup on it you'd be there every afternoon.

Speaking of pretentious sissies...

;D
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline vivyt

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2008, 12:03:05 am »
I LOVE shushi and was told I could no longer eat it. I was also told to stay away from tap water

Offline edfu

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2008, 12:20:56 am »
I also stay away from sushi.  I don't like gambling.  And I also stay away from tap water, because I know more than one PWA who died from complications from cryptosporidiosis, which is not filtered from most tap water, even in large metropolitan areas, and is not filtered from a large number of bottled waters as well.  I boil all drinking water for one minute and then refrigerate it.  I try to stay away from all raw foods, including salads I haven't prepared myself.  Of course, I have long since stopped being bothered by those who accuse me of being insane. 
"No one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences."--Albert Camus, "The Plague"

"Mankind can never be free until the last brick in the last church falls on the head of the last priest."--Voltaire

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2008, 12:27:47 am »
I love sushi and sashimi, yum.  I've been eating it for years.  never had a problem.

I'd be more worried about what's in fish sticks.  yuck
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 12:30:47 am by sharkdiver »

Offline LordBerners

« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2008, 07:53:43 am »
I don't much like sushi, but I love sashimi - a big bowl of raw maguro is my dish.  And I do eat it fairly often - that is, whenever I go to Bangkok, and it never occcurred to me to worry.  I also eat a lot of fish in general, mostly cooked of course.  Had mussels today.
Please, just call me Berners.. or Baron.

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2008, 08:01:49 am »
because I know more than one PWA who died from complications from cryptosporidiosis, which is not filtered from most tap water, even in large metropolitan areas, and is not filtered from a large number of bottled waters as well. 

yikes. oh my goodness  :'(

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2008, 08:31:12 am »
I have a Brita system for my water, though I was never really concerned about tap water.

Offline ARMANDO

« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2008, 09:15:19 am »
i personally don't eat sushi,i dont eat anything that is raw,i guess that the reason i got divorced too!!!! :)

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2008, 10:18:18 am »
Well, leave it to an engineer like me to pick apart an issue, but not all sushi
is raw fish.  The word "sushi" actually refers to the rice.  There are many
varieties of sushi that do not include raw fish (e.g. I believe eel and mackerel
are traditionally cooked).  Tuna is traditionally raw.

My point being that even if you felt that eating raw fish isn't appropriate for
your situation, you still have options regarding sushi.

Regards,

Henry
"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2008, 11:14:16 am »
cryptosporidiosis was generally a concern early in the AIDS epidemic, and indeed when I was diagnosed originally and had AIDS defining cd4 counts I was advised of this danger and that I should filter my water.  I got in the habit of doing so and have continued to do so.  However, there is no medical reason that I need to do this -- I just do it because it seems to taste better.  IIRC Brita filters crypto out, but PUR does not.

If there was some huge, widespread danger with tap water you would most assuredly be advised by your doctor and encounter posters at your ASO. 

source

"Although cryptosporidiosis can be acquired at any time during the course of HIV infection, major morbidity and mortality occur almost exclusively in patients with CD4 counts below 180 cells/mm3; above this level, spontaneous recovery generally occurs."

(sorry about that link to The Body, matty :)))
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 11:17:15 am by philly267 »

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2008, 05:32:30 pm »
I love sushi and sashimi, yum.  I've been eating it for years.  never had a problem.

I'd be more worried about what's in fish sticks.  yuck

In a follow up meeting with my ID doc, he suggested I eat more fish.

I said I eat Fish Sticks and frozen French Fries at least once a week  ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2008, 07:09:05 pm »
The only way I like to eat fish is if it's fried, with plenty of tartar sauce.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2008, 08:10:13 pm »
/FAIL

Offline dusty99

« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2008, 08:17:02 pm »
Well, leave it to an engineer like me to pick apart an issue, but not all sushi
is raw fish.  The word "sushi" actually refers to the rice.  There are many
varieties of sushi that do not include raw fish (e.g. I believe eel and mackerel
are traditionally cooked).  Tuna is traditionally raw.

My point being that even if you felt that eating raw fish isn't appropriate for
your situation, you still have options regarding sushi.

Regards,

Henry

Yeah, this is why I like to eat the spider roll, (my favorite) and I also like the green mussels. not to much in the way of raw fish otherwise, except the tuna, love the spicy tuna!!

Offline redhotmuslbear

• A genuine certified freak of nature, and a hot one
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2008, 08:52:05 pm »
In a follow up meeting with my ID doc, he suggested I eat more fish.  I said I eat Fish Sticks and frozen French Fries at least once a week  ;D  Have the best day

A doc dispensing incomplete advice!?!?  Not all fish is created equal, and the nutritional gift fish can offer is omega-3 fatty acids.  Tuna and salmon are notably good sources of omega-3s, but fish sticks are not.  Fries from white potatoes won't redeem the fish sticks.

"The real problem is not whether machines think but whether men do." - BF Skinner
12-31-09   222wks VL  2430 CD4 690 (37%)
09-30-09   208wks VL  2050  CD4 925 (42%)
06-25-08   143wks VL  1359  CD4 668 (32%)  CD8 885
02-11-08   123wks off meds:  VL 1364 CD4 892(40%/0.99 ratio)
10-19-07   112wks off meds:   VL 292  CD4 857(37%/0.85 ratio)

One copy of delta-32 for f*****d up CCR5 receptors, and an HLA B44+ allele for "CD8-mediated immunity"... beteer than winning Powerball, almost!

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2008, 09:02:52 pm »
Goodness Michael.  You live near the ocean and you eat fish sticks?  I'm clutching my pearls so hard I'm about to cut off air.

Offline shadowfluid

• Mike
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2008, 11:33:04 pm »
Thanks to all that responded.  My friend was in town and wanted to take me out for sushi (on him). Since I wasn't sure about the safety of raw fish and us pozzies I chose the $40 filet mignon and said "Neener neener!" He was not amused.
March 11     756

Offline shadowfluid

• Mike
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2008, 11:42:28 pm »
A hotly debated topic.

In general eating raw meat and fish (sashimi) is frowned upon, but there are those who argue that provided the fish is very fresh, prepared in a hygenic manner and your numbers are "ok" then you should have no problems.

I suspect it's a matter of common sense.

MtD

NO it's not common sense that's why I asked. *bitch slaps* :)
March 11     756

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2008, 11:44:28 pm »
Well, as the one of the food-borne illness aficionado at AIDSMeds, I figured I had better weigh in on this.  ;)  I just recovered from a bout caused by undercooked scallops a few weeks ago.

I think I have been ill from food-borne contaminants more often than anyone else around here. But I still love sushi, sashimi, oysters on the half shell, steak tartar (the real stuff made from horse, not beef), etc.

The bottom line is not that people with high CD4s can't become ill from something they ate, it is that they are better able to recover should they do so.

If your CD4s are low, you stand a greater chance of developing secondary or more serious infections.

This also goes for parasites, which are prone to be found in uncooked animal products. That also is why it can be a wise to filter your tap water to get rid of things like giardia.

The bottom line is to use common sense. If your T cells are below 400, you may want to eshew the raw goodies for the time being till things improve.

I know one person who washes all of his fruits and veggies regardless of where they came from. He even washes bananas. When he explained why, I understood and concur.

That said, common sense and a bit of caution when necessary can really help a person stay healthy and much happier.

HUGS,

Mark
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 11:50:44 pm by aztecan »
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline edfu

« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2008, 12:50:13 am »
The last person who posted on this site about why it might be prudent to wash banana skins before peeling was hounded off the site and given a permanent ban.  I hope this does not happen again, but I wouldn't be surprised, Mark, if you and I, "food-borne aficionados" that we are, are accused of being nervous nellies, etc.   Sticks and bones, as they say....
"No one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences."--Albert Camus, "The Plague"

"Mankind can never be free until the last brick in the last church falls on the head of the last priest."--Voltaire

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2008, 12:56:41 am »
If you have over 400 cd4's and you're scrubbing your bananas then yeah, you're a nervous nelly.  Isn't that what klonopin is for? :)

Offline edfu

« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2008, 12:59:20 am »
I'm on Klonopin, thanks.  And I don't use it for recreational purposes.   

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2008, 01:04:57 am »
NO it's not common sense that's why I asked. *bitch slaps* :)

Well honey it should be. -punches you out- ;)

We cook foods to make them taste better, render them more digestable and kill unwanted pathogens. Raw meat, eggs and fish should viewed with suspicion by anyone, particularly those of us with compromised immune systems. So should unpasteurised dairy products.

It's important to remember that seafood spoils very quickly even in the best of conditions. Moreover most of the meat we buy today is  raised in mass production feedlots and slaughtered in assembly line abbatoirs. The animals spend most of their lives in cramped, close quarters standing in their own shit.

This isn't to say that what you buy at the shop isn't hygienic as such, but it's certainly intended to be cooked. Rarefied delicacies such as steak tartare and carpaccio come from cultural traditions where livestock was raised and kept in verdent fields, before being killed and butchered in small, home-style operations.

So people should do as they please. But remember there are certain risks (HIV notwithstanding) associated with eating raw animal products. Just because it hasn't happened to the Philodendron (god amongst us that he is) doesn't mean it won't happen to you. :D

MtD

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2008, 01:15:35 am »
Actually, contrary to how I may come off in this thread, I do not generally partake of sushi.  However, this is simply because I don't enjoy it, not because of any great fear.  Red meat I always take at medium rare.  And if I want 6 week aged Époisses I will eat it without regret.

I definitely agree with Matty about seafood/fish.  I only purchase such products from a reputable, specialty monger.  It's worth the extra price.

I'm pretty conservative with this subject, but I also don't believe in living in fear and going overboard with it either.  HIV is not a great reason to stop enjoying good food.  As stated, I managed to avoid food poisoning for 42 years, and then caught it even though my cd4 count was in the 1,000's, and from a product one would not imagined getting it from.  I recovered within 48 hours, and I'd hate to imagine what that recovery would be like if I'd had 200 cd4's.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.