Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:03:03 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773290
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 697
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 385
Total: 386

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Testosterone  (Read 10520 times)

Offline John2038

• Happiness is a journey, not a destination.
    • HIV Research News (Twitter)
Testosterone
« on: October 02, 2007, 03:47:02 pm »
Hi,

would you recommend taking testosterone caplets to prevent the lost of lean body mass for someone HIV-positive but not under medication ?

The following link is recommending doing so, what do you think ?

http://medicalnewstoday.healthology.com/hybrid/hybrid-autodetect.aspx?content_id=2561&focus_handle=hiv-aids&brand_name=medicalnewstoday
« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 04:00:10 pm by John2038 »

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: Testosterone
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 04:11:36 pm »
John, if your testosterone levels are low than yes it would be a possibility.  Your doctor can run a test for it, but I doubt that he would elect to do so absent of something like a bit of weight loss.  It's not used as a preventative measure then, no.  A doctor will not prescribe it for such nor will an insurance company cover it.

This is, however, generally an effect of advanced HIV infection and not often seen in a newly infected individual.  I think you may be worrying about an issue that you won't see for many years, if at all.  Why are you worry about wasting when you're actually overweight according to the figures you posted in an earlier thread?
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline John2038

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 04:49:52 pm »
I'm considering taking testosterone as I am willing to continue doing cardio (quite a lot) which burns fat & muscle.
As I'm planing to restart my sport training (interrupted since 10 days..) I'd like to prevent this to continue.

I did some weight training, but I still have loose muscle.

In the video above, it is said that hiv burn also muscle, because the immune system is taking there part of the energy it needs to fight the virus.

The testosterone I'm considering to take are those available to bodybuilder and available without a prescription in pharmacies.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 04:51:07 pm »
Well, I hope you discuss whatever illegal medications/hormone treatments you plan on doing with your medical doctor.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2007, 05:08:36 pm »
John,

you've been googling around too much already. Lack of exercise, stress, and possibly the fatigue you got during seroconversion is the reason of your loss of muscle mass. To get it back, exercise back. Remember, when we get HIV the first thing we do is to look at every part of our body from head to toe to see if anything has changed. It's possible that you think you have lost more muscle mass than the reality.

Do not take ANYTHING, including herbal supplements, DHEA, Testosterone etc without talking to your doctor first. There are supplements that are highly contra-indicated for people with HIV.

Milker.
mid-dec: stupid ass
mid-jan: seroconversion
mid-feb: poz
mar 07: cd4 432 (35%) vl 54000
may 07: cd4 399 (28%) vl 27760
jul 07: cd4 403 (26%) vl 99241
oct 07: cd4 353 (24%) vl 29993
jan 08: cd4 332 (26%) vl 33308
mar 08: cd4 392 (23%) vl 75548
jun 08: cd4 325 (27%) vl 45880
oct 08: cd4 197 (20%) vl 154000 <== aids diagnosis
nov 2 08 start Atripla
nov 30 08: cd4 478 (23%) vl 1880 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
feb 19 09: cd4 398 (24%) vl 430 getting there!
apr 23 09: cd4 604 (29%) vl 50 woohoo :D :D
jul 30 09: cd4 512 (29%) vl undetectable :D :D
may 27 10: cd4 655 (32%) vl undetectable :D :D

Now accepting applications from blowjob ninjas™

Offline John2038

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2007, 05:26:59 pm »
 So what is said in the video is wrong as long as the doctor agree  ?

When you say "Do not take ANYTHING", do you means including vitamins, nutrients, protein bars, l-glutamine and  green tea as well ??

If so, I have to says that this is very confusing. Especially when some others thread over them details the benefit of the selenium, zinc, green tea and so

In more, I read a couple of time that its a good habit to take supplement when hiv.

In my test blood results, the vitamins level was within the standard range, despite these supplements i was taking during the 2 previous months.

But someone provided a link in another thread where it is mention that vitamins are not healthy.

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2007, 05:36:57 pm »
You read about the supplements like Selenium, green tea, etc on here, you compile a list of things that you think will be beneficial for you, you show the list to your doctor, and voila, that's all I'm saying.

Listening to doctors on video, reading doctor answers on websites and reading medical publications is something many enjoy doing so that we can understand what is potentially beneficial for our condition, but when it comes to taking action, only YOUR doctor has all the parameters necessary to let you know if what you're going to take is going to be good or bad for you.

Milker.
mid-dec: stupid ass
mid-jan: seroconversion
mid-feb: poz
mar 07: cd4 432 (35%) vl 54000
may 07: cd4 399 (28%) vl 27760
jul 07: cd4 403 (26%) vl 99241
oct 07: cd4 353 (24%) vl 29993
jan 08: cd4 332 (26%) vl 33308
mar 08: cd4 392 (23%) vl 75548
jun 08: cd4 325 (27%) vl 45880
oct 08: cd4 197 (20%) vl 154000 <== aids diagnosis
nov 2 08 start Atripla
nov 30 08: cd4 478 (23%) vl 1880 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
feb 19 09: cd4 398 (24%) vl 430 getting there!
apr 23 09: cd4 604 (29%) vl 50 woohoo :D :D
jul 30 09: cd4 512 (29%) vl undetectable :D :D
may 27 10: cd4 655 (32%) vl undetectable :D :D

Now accepting applications from blowjob ninjas™

Offline Suntropic98

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2007, 05:06:28 pm »
John, everyone's body is different. Some people react better to some things than others. If you're looking to burn the fat and cut up while maintaining muscle (or slightly increasing it) I would suggest taking a blend of trenbolone and enanthate.....maybe even some winstrol or clenbueterol.

All of this in moderation and you MUST hit the gym and eat right.

Not to mention taking your vitamins. I'll go into that later.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2007, 11:33:03 am »
John, everyone's body is different. Some people react better to some things than others. If you're looking to burn the fat and cut up while maintaining muscle (or slightly increasing it) I would suggest taking a blend of trenbolone and enanthate.....maybe even some winstrol or clenbueterol.

All of this in moderation and you MUST hit the gym and eat right.

Not to mention taking your vitamins. I'll go into that later.

And of course I'm sure Sun would agree that you honestly consult with a doctor before ingesting any of the substances he lists above.

Offline bear60

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2007, 12:10:37 pm »
What are anabolic steroids?
Anabolic steroids are synthetically produced variants of the naturally occurring male hormone testosterone. Both males and females have testosterone produced in their bodies: males in the testes, and females in the ovaries and other tissues. The full name for this class of drugs is androgenic (promoting masculine characteristics) anabolic (tissue building) steroids (the class of drugs). Some of the most abused steroids include Deca-Durabolin® , Durabolin ® , Equipoise® , and Winstrol® . The common street (slang) names for anabolic steroids include arnolds, gym candy, pumpers, roids, stackers, weight trainers, and juice.

The two major effects of testosterone are an androgenic effect and an anabolic effect. The term androgenic refers to the physical changes experienced by a male during puberty, in the course of development to manhood. Androgenic effects would be similarly experienced in a female. This property is responsible for the majority of the side effects of steroid use. The term anabolic refers to promoting of anabolism, the actual building of tissues, mainly muscle, accomplished by the promotion of protein synthesis

Physical & psychological dangers
There is increasing concern regarding possible serious health problems that are associated with the abuse of steroids, including both short-term and long-term side effects (see Appendix B). The short-term adverse physical effects of anabolic steroid abuse are fairly well known. Short-term side effects may include sexual and reproductive disorders, fluid retention, and severe acne. The short-term side effects in men are reversible with discontinuation of steroid use. Masculinizing effects seen in women, such as deepening of the voice, body and facial hair growth, enlarged clitoris, and baldness are not reversible. The long-term adverse physical effects of anabolic steroid abuse in men and in women, other than masculinizing effects, have not been studied, and as such, are not known. However, it is speculated that possible long-term effects may include adverse cardiovascular effects such as heart damage and stroke.

Possible physical side effects include the following:

High blood cholesterol levels - high blood cholesterol levels may lead to cardiovascular problems
Severe acne
Thinning of hair and baldness
Fluid retention
High blood pressure
Liver disorders (liver damage and jaundice)
Steroids can affect fetal development during pregnancy
Risk of contracting HIV and other blood-borne diseases from sharing infected needles
Sexual & reproductive disorders:
Males  Females
Atrophy (wasting away of tissues or organs) of the testicles 
Loss of sexual drive
Diminished or decreased sperm production 
Breast and prostate enlargement 
Decreased hormone levels 
Sterility
 Menstrual irregularities
Infertility
Masculinizing effects such as facial hair, diminished breast size, permanently deepened voice, and enlargement of the clitoris.

Possible psychological disturbances include the following:

Mood swings (including manic-like symptoms leading to violence)
Impaired judgment (stemming from feelings of invincibility)
Depression
Nervousness
Extreme irritability
Delusions
Hostility and aggression
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline NYCguy

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2007, 06:11:51 pm »
I would have to agree with Milker that before taking anything stronger than a multi-vitamin, and most definitely the things Sun is suggesting, PLEASE talk to your doctor.  When I first tested Poz I talked to my Dr. about what vitamins I should take and periodically run things I read about, like Selenium for example, by him.  I'm planning to take a body-building supplement, and first thing i did was ask the doctor, as well as consult some websites, like this one, for other perspectives, which I got.  My doctor also proposed a very intellegent way of trying this supplement (start with low dose), which was very helpful. 

If you don't have this kind of relationship with your doctor, GET ANOTHER ONE!
11/9/06 = #$%^&!
sometime early Dec 2006:
CD4 530 20%/VL >250,000 (&*$$%!!)
started Reyataz300mg/Norvir/Truvada 12-27-06.
1/30/07 CD4 540 30%/VL <400
4/07 CD4 600+ 33%/VL <50
6/9/07 CD4 720 37%/VL <50
10/15/07 CD4 891 (!) %? VL <50
1/2010 CD4 599 (37%) VL<50 (drop due to acute HCV)
9/2010 - looks like HCV is gone for good! And I'm finally drinking again, thank GOD
2013 - considering a switch to Stribild. but I love my Kidneys (but I hate farting all the time!)...
June 2013 - switched to Stribild.  so far so good...

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.