Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 01:27:32 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773263
  • Total Topics: 66345
  • Online Today: 109
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 90
Total: 91

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: (Am I) Losing My Mind  (Read 1722 times)

Offline Solo_LTSurvivor

• Twerk Baby Twerk
(Am I) Losing My Mind
« on: February 12, 2012, 01:26:51 am »
Not to overshadow Whitney, but since someone mentioned Liza...

DSM-5, the new mental illness ‘bible,’ may list Internet addiction among illnesses

Surf the web too much? That might soon land you on a psychiatrist’s couch.

The American Psychiatric Association (APA) is catching heat over proposed amendments to its newest Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) — widely considered the "bible" of psychiatric symptoms in the mental-health industry.

Opponents say the new version would label millions more people as "mentally ill" for conditions such as extreme shyness — and qualify them for psychiatric drugs they don't need.

"[It's] hard to avoid the conclusion that DSM-5 will help the interests of the drug companies," said Allen Frances of Duke University, according to Reuters.

The DSM-5, as the new edition will be called, is scheduled to be released in May 2013, and could list "Internet addiction" among its diagnoses.

The association says it is still considering how to address non-substance-abuse addictions.

“Gambling disorder has been moved into this category and there are other addiction-like behaviorial disorders such as ‘Internet addiction’ that will be considered as potential addictions to this category as research data accumulate,” the APA says on its website.

Experts say lots of the new diagnoses are problematic - like "oppositional defiant disorder."

"That basically means children who say 'no' to their parents more than a certain number of times," said Pete Kinderman of Liverpool University's Institute of Psychology, according to Reuters.

"On that criteria, many of us would have to say our children are mentally ill."

People who are excessively shy could also be diagnosed as mentally ill under the new guidelines, Kinderman said.

Kids' temper tantrums might be explained by "disruptive mood disregulation disorder," characterized by temper outbursts that occur at least three times per week.

David Elkins, president of the American Psychological Association's society for humanistic psychology, helped launch a petition against the new manual, yielding more than 11,000 supporters, according to ABC News.

"Our main concern is that they've introduced some new disorders that have never been in a DSM before that we think are not scientifically based," he said.

"We're not opposed to the proper use of psychiatric drugs when there's a real diagnosis and when a child or an adult needs pharmacological interventions," he said. "But we are concerned about the normal kids and elderly people who are going to be diagnosed with these disorders and treated with psychiatric drugs.

"We think that's very, very dangerous."

Dr. Allen Frances, who worked on revisions for the current manual, DSM-4, agrees that the proposed changes are irresponsible.

"You don't want to be inventing new diagnoses until you're sure they can be accurately made, effectively treated that the treatments are safe," said Frances, a psychiatry professor at Duke University, according to ABC News. "None of these conditions is fulfilled in DSM-5."

"You can't have one professional organization, like the American Psychiatric Association, responsible for vetting something so important," he added.

The APA hasn't commented directly on the backlash, but said in a statement that it considers "input from all sectors of the mental health community a vital part of the process," according to ABC News.

"We are confident that the DSM-5 will be based on the most reliable scientific and clinical data."

http://youtu.be/euNXpjPNLQo
don't equate intelligence with lack of masculinity
Jim Phelps, Mission Impossible

Seroconverted: Early 80s
Tested & confirmed what I already knew: early 90s

Current regimen: Biktarvy. 
Last regimen:  Atripla (with NO adverse side effects: no vivid dreams and NONE of the problems people who can't tolerate this drug may experience: color me lucky ::))
Past regimens
Fun stuff (in the past):  HAV/HBV, crypto, shingles, AIDS, PCP

Jan 2012: 818/21%
Apr 2012: 964/22%
Jul. 2012: 890/21%
Oct. 2012: 920/23%

Still UD after all these years

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
Re: (Am I) Losing My Mind
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 04:05:34 pm »
This made UK news plus discussion panels etc. General consensus medicalizing(not sure if medicalizing is a word) everyday emotions with some mention off lawyers and drug companies  loving it.

I came away with some confusion over wether this was a draft paper or the finished article ? Hopefully it is a draft.  ah ha you say  "proposed amendments"
mhtv

"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline LiveWithIt

Re: (Am I) Losing My Mind
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 01:46:18 pm »
I love that song.
Pray God you can cope
I know you have a little life in you yet.
I know you have a lot of strength left.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.