Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 04:37:10 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773264
  • Total Topics: 66345
  • Online Today: 361
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 316
Total: 316

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Viral load scare?  (Read 4403 times)

Offline calikid

Viral load scare?
« on: July 10, 2007, 07:31:15 pm »
I had unprotected MSM anal sex the first week of June (June 4). He didn't ejaculate inside of me. I came down with mild flu-like symptoms the third week, experiencing a sore throat, light-headedness, dizziness, fever and what I believed were to be swollen lymph-nodes. It only lasted 2-3 days. I only had a slight change in bowel movements, but that only lasted a day or two.

I went in for a HIV/STD test on June 29. I called in for my results the following Monday and came out to be HIV negative -- tested blood for antibodies, and found none. But I did test positive for chlamydia. A few days later, I got a call saying that I tested positive on PCR. I was shocked, he told me that I had a viral load of 10,000. I went in that same day and took a rapid HIV antibody test and it came out to be negative. Consequently, I am waiting back on results on my second blood sample due sometime this week, which I assume will be tested using the Western Blot?

I don't think I am still within the window period, am I? I have read that it can take as little as two weeks for the body to be producing HIV antibodies. But I have also read that viral loads can reach or excede 100,000 during acute HIV infection. I know the rapid antibody test/ELISA is the gold standard in diagnosing HIV, but I just needed some feedback.

The wait is absolutely killing me. I have been researching online for possible false positives, as reported with PCR. But I have also learned that having chlamydia will significantly increase your chances of contracting HIV. Will my viral load be higher because I had sex the day before? I have to admit that I have all these variables, which may make it hard to respond appropriately.

I was just wondering what my chances of being HIV-infected. Thanks in advance.

Offline RapidRod

Re: Viral load scare?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 07:38:15 pm »
Your mistake was taking a PCR test to begin with. PCR tests are not diagnostic tests. They are screening tests. It's so early for a conclusive negative test so you'll have to wait.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 07:39:55 pm »
Hey Kid,

See this is the problem with using PCR testing as a diagnostic tool. Positive results can't be trusted. PCR testing for HIV diagnosis returns an unacceptably high level of false positive results.

The negative ELISA result you received is not conclusive either. Most people who are going to test positive do so within 4 - 6 weeks of being infected. The other test you're waiting on might be a WB, I doubt it -- these are done usually to confirm a positive ELISA result.

If you test antibody positive (confirmed by WB) in the next few weeks, then we'll know for sure. However a negative antibody test result cannot be considered conclusive until 12-13 weeks from June 4th.

MtD

Offline calikid

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 09:36:24 pm »
I understand that the test is inconclusive until the 13th week, but is it still possible that my body is producing antibodies now? I've read that certain tests can pick up antibodies 4-6 weeks after the time of infection. I did the rapid HIV antibody test on July 6, which again, came out to be negative.

Is my viral load consistent with people recently infected with HIV? I've researched on line and some studies point out that people who were recently infected with HIV have viral loads of 100,000 or more.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 09:42:26 pm »
Kid,

If you have been infected (and you've reported unprotected butt-sex) then antibodies won't be too far away. But let's not get ahead of ourselves. Your VL result (which could well be a false positive) is really not a good indicator of anything at the moment.

You could always have another ELISA test done in a couple of weeks. Like I said earlier, If it's positive and that result is confirmed by WB, then we can stop all this what-iffing. Remember that most people who test antibody positive will do so within 4-6 weeks.

I can well understand that you're very nervous right now and you just want a clear cut answer about what's going on. But you're going to have to be a bit patient.

Keep us informed babe.

Best regards,

MtD

Offline calikid

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 09:28:45 pm »
OK, so I got my IFA results and it tested positive. So that's it eh, 99% conclusive that I am HIV-infected?

Do any of you know what is the average viral load count is after acute infection? I most likely got infected in early June.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007, 10:36:54 pm »
Yeah honey, an IFA will do it. :(

I'd suggest that you should start a new thread in the I Just Test Positive forum.

Fond regards,

MtD

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.