Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:46:34 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772963
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 169
Total: 169

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: FYI-- Dr. Gallant Answering Questions Again  (Read 9271 times)

Offline tednlou2

FYI-- Dr. Gallant Answering Questions Again
« on: March 17, 2014, 12:09:23 am »
Dr. Joel Gallant use to have a Q&A forum, when he was at Johns Hopkins.  For those who never heard of him, he is a doctor working in HIV and wrote a book, "100 Questions and Answers About HIV/AIDS."  That forum abruptly shut down a few years ago.  This site, POZ/AIDSMEDS, and the forums are excellent for learning-- obviously.  But, it is good to have more than one place for good info.  Even if you don't have a question, I learned something (at least learned his view) about the booster in Stribild I didn't know and whether the elevated creatinine is really kidney injury or faux injury.   

I remember some here wondering what happened to his Q&A forum.  He's now working in New Mexico and answering questions and offering insights on his own tumblr page.  It must be pretty new, since there are only 39 pages, with maybe 4-5 questions per page.  And, there is an archive from the questions asked back on the Hopkins' site.  So far, I've read some good questions and answers.  Yes, there are the Am I Infected questions.  Nothing wrong with that, and they seem limited so far. 

http://hivforum.tumblr.com/

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
Re: FYI-- Dr. Gallant Answering Questions Again
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 12:57:31 am »
Ted,..

Thanks for posting this !! It's great that Dr. Gallant is back answering questions.  Back in 2004 or 2005 ( when he was at John Hopkins), I asked him a question about the 4 drug regimen, that I was on at the time.

Ray  8)
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline kevinazus

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 02:36:02 am »
Dr. Gallant is amazing!  I have asked him probably half a dozen questions since I tested positive five weeks ago, and he usually answered them the same day - sometimes within half an hour or so.  Don't know how he finds the time with all the other things he's involved in, but he has been a great resource for me since I have only seen my own doctor once so far.

Offline sanitex

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 04:43:25 am »

thanks for posting! He's a popular guy everyone like,he has answered  my question  several times
27/12/07 cd4 20 vl 1m
10/4 /08 cd4 86 vl 63
1/7/08  cd4 186 vl un
16/10/08 cd4 196 vl un
23/1/09 cd4 248 vl un
10/9/11 cd4 418 vl <40 %22
13/12/11 cd4 410 vl un 23%
24/2/12 cd4 545 vl un 26%
22/2/12 chge trv to Recovir-em.10/9/11 cd4 418 vl <40 %22
7/7/12 cd4 359 vl <40 22%
23/8/12 cd4 400 vl <40 23%,
testosterone test 7.5 ng/ml and
thyroid (TSH)1.32 ml.
13/12/2012 cd4 523 24% vl <40
18/3/2013 cd4  513  23% vl <40
03/8/2013 cd4 429 22% vl <40
13/11/2013 cd4 455 23% vl <40
Anti-HBs testquantitative Anti-HBs pos
Titer 16.95 mlu/ml <10.00
22/3/14 cd4 396 vl <40 24%
24/7/14 tevir
24/9/14 cd4 517 vl <40 22%
16/3/15 cd4 545 vl  85 24%
12/4/16 cd4 626 vl <40 25%
16/8/16 cd4 396 vl <40 27% changNVP/recovir-em 22/7
8/12/16 cd4 511 vl ud 23%
5/6/16 cd4 688 vl ud %27
17/9 /20  chng TLD

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 04:53:29 am »
This is a pleasent change for a Euro to read  , and thanks for the info Ted , I agree its good to have a range off info resource's to go to.
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 02:00:28 am »
Glad I could help.  But, I need to make a correction.  After reading more, there are way more of the Am I Infected questions, than questions from those actually poz.  And, so many people with rare strains, that cannot be detected. 

It is obvious he wants a site for those living with HIV, and those with sincere Did I Have A Risk? questions-- instead of those saying they've tested 50 times, but still know they are poz.  He adds in pics/graphics to help explain things.  It has good bones and could be a great resource.

He was asked about it and said, "The same thing happened on the Hopkins website, and I eventually stopped answering all but the most amusing questions.  However, until I start getting more questions from the truly infected, these hypochondriacal, obsessive-compulsive, and guilt-ridden readers are all I’ve got!"

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 08:13:40 am »

He was asked about it and said, "The same thing happened on the Hopkins website, and I eventually stopped answering all but the most amusing questions.  However, until I start getting more questions from the truly infected, these hypochondriacal, obsessive-compulsive, and guilt-ridden readers are all I’ve got!"

I feel his pain!

Those people with the rare, non-detectable strains do my head in. And people wonder why I'm bat-shit insane. I challenge anyone to answer questions from BWWs (beyond worried wells) every (damn near every) day for over thirteen years and not end up bat-shit, roaring, raving, totally fucking insane! :o
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 08:17:57 am »
It's an interesting website.  I will definitely have to spend more time on it when I have more time to spend.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline mitch777

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2014, 05:59:32 pm »
I feel his pain!
 And people wonder why I'm bat-shit insane.

Never wondered for a second.  :) :-*
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2014, 06:24:58 pm »
Never wondered for a second.  :) :-*

That's what I was going to say.................... 

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2014, 06:28:59 pm »
Hmph.

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2014, 07:13:28 pm »
Quote from: Ann link=topic=53166.msg628366#msg628366

I'm bat-shit insane. I challenge [i
anyone[/i] to for over thirteen years end up roaring, raving, totally fucking :o

I think I finally figured out how to insert a quote!

;)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 07:17:56 pm by emeraldize »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2014, 06:34:56 am »
Almost, Em, almost! ;D

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2014, 07:01:08 pm »
Gotcha!!!  ::)

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2014, 07:08:14 pm »
I think I finally figured out how to insert a quote!

;)

How do you do that kind of quote?   
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2014, 07:51:41 pm »
Great link Tednlou2.. :)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2014, 05:14:36 pm »
Gotcha!!!  ::)

I'll "gotcha" you, my pretty! :o

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2014, 11:27:31 am »
Oh, what a lovely bunch of coconuts! 

Excuse me for a moment.  (....What? Wrong thread?)

Oh!  Thanks for the Dr. Gallant info!

:)
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2014, 06:40:28 pm »
We are all that.

Ann's bat-shittedness confessions inspire pranking.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2014, 06:12:42 am »
We are all that.

Ann's bat-shittedness confessions inspire pranking.

Well according to some, I never really had to confess. Apparently it was already common knowledge - amongst the commoners anyway!

heh. I should start a support group for people who deal with Worried Wells and Beyond Worried Wells and call it The Batshittery. Jeff? Andy? Rodney? Joe? Jan? are you in?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 06:14:48 am by Ann »

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline vertigo

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2014, 11:24:17 pm »
Dr Gallant is a great resource, and frequently very funny.  He also wrote a good piece for this year's Positively Aware annual drug guide, which is a must-read if you're following treatment options.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 11:26:55 pm by vertigo »

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2014, 12:45:21 am »
More FYI-- For those concerned his site will just be a long list of Am I Infected, with a question from someone poz somewhere it the middle, Dr. Gallant posted this today:

"I get dozens of questions per day from one or more people about rare strains, crashing immune systems,” lousy diagnostic tests, virus that can’t be detected, “all the classic symptoms of acute retroviral syndrome,” n and o strains, and oral thrush in people with negative HIV tests.  While I feel your pain, your questions will continue to be deleted.  I can’t tell you what’s wrong with you, but my best guess is that your problems are psychiatric. What’s clear is that you do NOT have HIV. 

This is a forum for people with established HIV infection.  You can submit as many questions as you want, but they will not be answered. I’m sorry."

As I just found his site, I will look forward to questions from those actually poz.  I've already learned some things I did not know.  For example, I did not know tenovir can lower cholesterol.  A questioner switched from Truvada to Epzicom and saw an increase in cholesterol.  He or she thought the Epzicom caused it.  Dr. Gallant believed it was most likely from no longer taking the tenovir, which he said lowers cholesterol.  That's the kind of Q&A I like-- where I learn something.  I respect his body of knowledge, so I'm not always questioning whether he is full of b.s. That's not to say he is or will always be 100% accurate.  Anyway, I know many would avoid a site, where they had to weed through 25 rare strain questions to find one serious. 

Offline friskyguy

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2014, 01:20:35 am »
good resource....gallant has answered 3 of my non standard questions over the last few days too! Happy to have another qualified resource to touch base with to refine my approach to HIV. The archives are worth a read too!!!

frisky
Sero converted Sept '10 / Confirmed + Dec '10
Jan '11, VL 9,500 / CD4 482 (32%)
Feb '11, VL 5,800 / CD4 680 (37%)
start Atripla
Mch '11, VL UD / CD4 700 (42%)
Jun  '11, VL UD / CD4 750 (43%)
swap to Kivexa and Efav. due to osteopenia diag. (DEXA) / kidney issues ( decline in eGFR to 77 )
start supplements - Vit D3 / Omega 3 / multivitamin / mini aspirin
Dec '11,  VL UD <20 /  CD4 670 (49%)  / CD4:CD8 = 1.4
all labs now within normal ranges
Mch '12,  VL UD / CD4 600 (51%)
Sep '12,  VL UD / CD4 810 (51%)
Mch '13   VL UD / CD4 965 (56%)
Sep '13   VL UD / CD4 (not taken)
Dec '13   VL UD / CD4 901 (35%) / CD4:CD8 = 1.1  /  eGFR > 100

Offline MadisonTeddy

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2014, 08:33:06 am »
Great site!  Thanks for the share!   :)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.