Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 11:45:38 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772783
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 217
Total: 218

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Serious Topic! Weather & Wardrobe  (Read 47848 times)

Offline Jody

Re: Serious Topic! Weather & Wardrobe
« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2007, 05:08:45 pm »
For the meet and greet I shall be wearing a lime green 100% polyester Nehru-style leisure suit, 1970's style.

At the end of the AMG I shall auction it off to the highest bidder...I'm sure RAB will clamor for it.  Sigh.

Jody  ;)
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline Jerry71

• Biktarvy CD4 637 04-17-18
    • Facebook
« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2007, 07:44:20 pm »
Blue Jeans and T-shirts all the way baby. No dress slacks for me after working in a hotel for 7years no more dressing up.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 09:35:58 pm by Jerry71 »

Offline Ric Wilke

• I joined AIDSmed.com 10/2002.
« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2007, 07:49:45 pm »
Well, the only thing on my list is leather at this time.  I do have one problem that I need some help with.  There is a song . . . something about "if you're going to San Fransisco, be sure to wear some flowers in your hair".  Any suggestions?  Seems I'm a bit impaired.

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #53 on: August 27, 2007, 07:58:33 pm »
  I do have one problem that I need some help with.  There is a song . . . something about "if you're going to San Fransisco, be sure to wear some flowers in your hair".  Any suggestions?  Seems I'm a bit impaired.

Offline Basquo

« Reply #54 on: August 27, 2007, 08:09:27 pm »
Well, the only thing on my list is leather at this time.  I do have one problem that I need some help with.  There is a song . . . something about "if you're going to San Fransisco, be sure to wear some flowers in your hair".  Any suggestions?  Seems I'm a bit impaired.

I think I can probably locate or make some small leather blossoms to weave into your mustache  ;D

Offline JR Gabbard

• Union Jacks
« Reply #55 on: August 27, 2007, 08:18:31 pm »
The Western dress suit is for the meet-n-greet.

Actually we can probably incorporate your 70's style into a new look.  I did my best shopping in Montreal at little vintage clothing shops. I'm sure there are some groovy ones in SF. Oooo, that reminds me, I have to change my list to add some of the clothes from Montreal!

Groovy vintage clothing shops?  In SF?  Oh honey, are you in for a good time in the City!

Here's a little teaser:  Worn Out West, in the heart of the Castro, proud purveyors of quality pre-owned western gear to the gay and lesbian community (and the straight people who love us) for nigh on 20 years.  Just checked the phone book--they're still open.

And that is only the beginning.  Haight street is packed with vintage shops, on both sides of the street.  Like paisley?  You're sure to find some there.  Don't forget the Fillmore (or as we call it, the Mo').  Vintage shops for days and days. And there are many, many, many other vintage shops scattered about our little burg!

And antiques.  Did I mention antiques?  Oh lord, we got antiques!

And if you want to purchase new,  San Francisco Centre is half a block away from the hotel, with their anchor tenant Nordstroms, and Union Square is only two blocks away, with every high-end department store known in the civilized world.

Shopping?  Oh yes, we do shopping here!  Tune up that plastic, puppet.   ;)

16 days to go, by my count, and I can't hardly wait to see you all.  PS I'll be wearing jeans and a shirt to the meet-n-greet (cuz that's who I am!)

JR  (who is not allowed to spend money like that any more   :( )
It goes like this
The fourth, the fifth,
The minor fall, the major lift,
The baffled king composing Hallelujah!

L. Cohen

Offline JR Gabbard

• Union Jacks
« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2007, 08:21:04 pm »

ROFLMAO (literally had to get up to type this)

RAB, you scamp!  XO

JR
It goes like this
The fourth, the fifth,

L. Cohen

Offline Basquo

« Reply #57 on: August 27, 2007, 09:27:08 pm »
  Groovy vintage clothing shops?  In SF?  Oh honey, are you in for a good time in the City!

Here's a little teaser:  Worn Out West, in the heart of the Castro, proud purveyors of quality pre-owned western gear to the gay and lesbian community (and the straight people who love us) for nigh on 20 years.  Just checked the phone book--they're still open.

And that is only the beginning.  Haight street is packed with vintage shops, on both sides of the street.  Like paisley?  You're sure to find some there.  Don't forget the Fillmore (or as we call it, the Mo').  Vintage shops for days and days. And there are many, many, many other vintage shops scattered about our little burg!

And antiques.  Did I mention antiques?  Oh lord, we got antiques!

And if you want to purchase new,  San Francisco Centre is half a block away from the hotel, with their anchor tenant Nordstroms, and Union Square is only two blocks away, with every high-end department store known in the civilized world.

Shopping?  Oh yes, we do shopping here!  Tune up that plastic, puppet.   ;)

16 days to go, by my count, and I can't hardly wait to see you all.  PS I'll be wearing jeans and a shirt to the meet-n-greet (cuz that's who I am!)

JR  (who is not allowed to spend money like that any more   :( )

I. Am. In. Heaven. Already!  

Okay, I have a friend who I will be visting in San Francisco, who loves vintage clothing like I do, so now I have the perfect activity for us to do!  

BTW, I used to have tons of vintage clothes, but most of them fell apart in the 80's after I danced and drenched them with LSD-infused sweat.   :'(

My butterfly vest is actually a 60's housecoat that I took  to with scissors when I thought I was going to see Nina Hagen in concert last year...

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #58 on: August 27, 2007, 09:34:04 pm »
I'm sure I'll take too much, I always do......

Basquo, I also use a "packing list", in fact have it saved on my computer, and print one out for each trip.....lists everything down to the drugs I will need, etc.

Shoes are always the hardest decision for me; they take up so much room in your luggage...
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Jerry71

• Facebook
« Reply #59 on: August 27, 2007, 09:38:20 pm »
Alan hopefully this year you will not take more than one piece of luggage "remember Montreal" lost baggage claim from hell. :o

Offline JR Gabbard

• Union Jacks
« Reply #60 on: August 27, 2007, 09:43:14 pm »

My butterfly vest is actually a 60's housecoat that I took  to with scissors when I thought I was going to see Nina Hagen in concert last year...

Could you pack that one?  Please?  Pretty please??

The vintage stores have been keeping drag queens in fabulous frocks since time immemorial, and on a budget too.

Just imagine what you'll find  :o
It goes like this
The fourth, the fifth,

L. Cohen

Offline Basquo

« Reply #61 on: August 27, 2007, 09:44:42 pm »
Jerry, funny that you mention that, I've never had luggage lost until I flew home from Montreal...I bought some of those pizza pastries from the bakery below the hotel the morning I left, and by the time I got the suitcase the next day, which had gone to West Virginia, it was obvious that they had let it sit on the hot tarmac for...my "fresh" pastries had become a hairy science experiment!

Offline Basquo

« Reply #62 on: August 27, 2007, 09:47:35 pm »
Could you pack that one?  Please?  Pretty please??

The vintage stores have been keeping drag queens in fabulous frocks since time immemorial, and on a budget too.

Just imagine what you'll find  :o

Baby, it's on the list, but it's not as fabulous as it sounds...it's unique, but a bit blinding.

Offline Jerry71

• Facebook
« Reply #63 on: August 27, 2007, 09:49:28 pm »
When me and Alan flew into Montreal last year we were stuck in baggage claims for over a hour could not understand a word they were talking about. Thank goodness this year we don't have to go through fucking customs another nightmare from hell. ::)

Offline Jerry71

• Facebook
« Reply #64 on: August 27, 2007, 09:52:27 pm »
Rab shame on you to mention Super Glue to Ric like you have a lot of hair to talk Mister. ;)

Offline AlanBama

« Reply #65 on: August 27, 2007, 10:31:13 pm »
Jerry, I'm going to try to cram it all into one this time....

Remember when we discovered the bag wasn't coming off the carousel?  They sent us to this "window" to get a form.....then she sent me somewhere else, where they handed me back some Islamic man's form...and I did not notice the error until we were in line trying to get out of baggage claim.....then they sent us to ANOTHER area....

You're right, I look so forward to just getting off that plane and running out of the airport, no customs!

PS - I've never been as happy to see someone as I was to see SAE standing there waiting for us!   She was a true angel....and I miss her in the forums.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 10:32:56 pm by AlanBama »
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #66 on: August 27, 2007, 10:36:41 pm »
eep!  this all just makes me realize how much preppin' i've got to do.  need to start making my lists and checking them twice & stuff.  only a little more than two weeks to go! 

AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline woodshere

• ain't no shame in my game
« Reply #67 on: August 28, 2007, 03:45:26 am »
I'm just finishing up vacation here and it is cold as shit.  I have worn a sweatshirt or jacket everyday after about 4 or 5 in the afternoon.  Have slept with my window open all week, except last night when I actually had to turn the heat on.  So pack accordingly!!!

I dread going back to 95 degree temperatures and humidity,

Woods
"Let us give pubicity to HV/AIDS and not hide it..." "One of the things destroying people with AIDS is the stigma we attach to it."   Nelson Mandela

Offline mjmel

« Reply #68 on: August 28, 2007, 04:45:33 am »
eep!  this all just makes me realize how much preppin' i've got to do.  need to start making my lists and checking them twice & stuff.  only a little more than two weeks to go! 

Pack lite.
Some of us would appreciate you going shirtless as much as possible.
 :D
Mike

Offline AlanBama

« Reply #69 on: August 28, 2007, 10:37:58 am »
thanks for that weather update Woods!   I will try to pack accordingly...

hugs,

Alan

Offline Jerry71

• Facebook
« Reply #70 on: August 28, 2007, 11:31:45 am »
Damn weather!!! It has been so hot here in the east coast and we finally get to go to the west coast to get away form the heat and humidity. Now we all have to pack and hope some knows how to iron talk about wrinkled clothing. Not to mention airport security going through our stuff and making a bigger mess. Oh well no flowers in my hair shaved head and ready for San Francisco. One good thing about this trip if our luggage gets lost with our meds hopefully there will be plenty of other meds to pass around.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #71 on: August 28, 2007, 11:38:36 am »
i was also pondering shaving my head prior to SF.  dunno.  haven't decided how i will turn it out up top.

AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Jerry71

• Facebook
« Reply #72 on: August 28, 2007, 11:42:37 am »
I shaved my head when I went to Las Vegas one year and talk about a burnt head. DAMN!!!!!!!!!!

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #73 on: August 28, 2007, 11:55:01 am »
perhaps a hawk do....a la a cast member in a paul morris vid.

hmmm.....??

i really do need a cut, though.  it's starting to do that over the ears thing that i hate.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Dan J.

« Reply #74 on: August 28, 2007, 12:03:14 pm »
One good thing about this trip if our luggage gets lost with our meds hopefully there will be plenty of other meds to pass around

Put your meds in your carry on bag, that way if your checked baggage gets lost you will have your meds.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #75 on: August 28, 2007, 12:05:26 pm »
One good thing about this trip if our luggage gets lost with our meds hopefully there will be plenty of other meds to pass around

Put your meds in your carry on bag, that way if your checked baggage gets lost you will have your meds.

otherwise, you just might have to leave your HAART in San Francisco.

(you all know i've been dying to find a way to say that for months now)
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline cayucosguy

« Reply #76 on: August 28, 2007, 12:09:41 pm »

San Francisco
by Scott McKenzie
album: 
If you're going to San Francisco
Be sure to wear some flowers in your hair
If you're going to San Francisco
You're gonna meet some gentle people there

For those who come to San Francisco
Summertime will be a love-in there
In the streets of San Francisco
Gentle people with flowers in their hair

All across the nation such a strange vibration
People in motion
There's a whole generation with a new explanation
People in motion people in motion

For those who come to San Francisco
Be sure to wear some flowers in your hair
If you come to San Francisco

If you come to San Francisco

Offline cayucosguy

« Reply #77 on: August 28, 2007, 12:21:45 pm »
Jerry -

I will more than happy to get your wrinkles out  ;D

Seriously, I can iron like a fool when necessary.

Vince

edited to add:

http://www.insiderpages.com/b/3670307340  -  Wonderful place to pick up some good clothing for a cause!

« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 12:23:40 pm by cayucosguy »

Offline Jerry71

• Facebook
« Reply #78 on: August 28, 2007, 01:05:43 pm »
Ok Vince your hired. I hate to iron my clothes then again I never go any where to really care what I look like.  :-*

Offline AlanBama

« Reply #79 on: August 28, 2007, 05:23:08 pm »
I'm sure I'll end up ironing; never been on a trip yet where I didn't iron before I pack, then have to at least "touch up" before wearing......

Glad to hear it will be cool (sweatshirts = no ironing necessary)

Offline mjmel

« Reply #80 on: August 28, 2007, 05:45:36 pm »
I was checking out the 10-day forecast in San Francisco very early this morning. Super! It's going to be purr-fect weather ........... sunny everyday and comfy temps. Hope this pattern holds for us. 

I share that ironing compulsion, as well. Just can't get out the frigging door with a wrinkled shirt. Nope. No way.

:)
Mike

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #81 on: August 28, 2007, 06:02:18 pm »
otherwise, you just might have to leave your HAART in San Francisco.

*groan*   :D

"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline Buckmark

• Henry's Home Page
« Reply #82 on: August 28, 2007, 06:12:27 pm »
Now we all have to pack and hope some knows how to iron talk about wrinkled clothing.

I'm an ironing maniac!  Especially for the proper remuneration.   ;D   Always heavy on the starch, 'cause I have way too many Western shirts.

I'm afraid I'm going to be nominated for an episode of "What Not To Wear" after meeting y'all in San Francisco.

Cheers,

Henry

The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #83 on: August 28, 2007, 06:15:05 pm »
*groan*   :D

Henry,  you're in for five glorious days of one liners every bit as good as that one.   ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Basquo

« Reply #84 on: August 28, 2007, 09:44:30 pm »

I'm afraid I'm going to be nominated for an episode of "What Not To Wear" after meeting y'all in San Francisco.

Whatever!  Henry, just bring those Wranglers you wear so well and there will be no problems! "What Not To Wear" describes a lot of my wardrobe; but that's what makes me Me.  At my age, and not being in the entertainment industry, I have no business tucking flowers and butterflies behind my ears, but I do it from time to time because I enjoy it. You just wear what you're comfortable with, and you will have everyone longing to meet a true Texas cowboy. Nevermind that I've branded, castrated, started chewing tobacco at 5 and have been on a horse-ridden cattledrive more than once...but I just don't bring out the gear unless I'm meeting my cousins to fry up some catfish...

And everyone else, according to the Powell Hotel's website, there are irons and boards in all rooms.

Offline JR Gabbard

• Union Jacks
« Reply #85 on: August 28, 2007, 10:05:06 pm »

Henry,  you're in for five glorious days of one liners every bit as good as that one.   ;D

*rimshot*

That was Tim, ladies and gentlemen.  He'll be with us here at the Lavendar Lounge all weekend, 2 shows a night, maybe 3 if you treat him right.  Tell your friends.  And don't forget to tip your bartender and waitresses.

Whachaa!

On another note, anyone who decides to shave their head, for the trip or otherwise, will find themselves very popular among the indigenous population hereabouts.  Got me thinking that a foray into the darker side of town on Saturday night might not be a bad idea.  It's not far from the hotel.  Yep, thinking about this one real hard.

JR (who used to shave his head, but has now gone to the opposite extreme)
I feel pretty, oh so pretty.  I feel pretty, and witty, and gay!
It goes like this
The fourth, the fifth,

L. Cohen

Offline Buckmark

• Henry's Home Page
« Reply #86 on: August 29, 2007, 12:20:11 am »
I feel pretty, oh so pretty.  I feel pretty, and witty, and gay!

JR,

This one's for you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7BQRGXFLJs

;)

Henry

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #87 on: September 07, 2007, 03:16:09 am »
No matter waht happens on any day of the week, we will always have weather.  I use the National Weather Service site becauase it will tell us anything weather related about any location in the U.S. for up to one week.  The link is www.nws.noaa.gov.  Search for San Francisco, ca and there is the entire week of weather.  Have the best day
Michael

Offline pozattitude

• Enjoy
    • to find out more about me....
« Reply #88 on: September 10, 2007, 11:15:15 am »
here is your outlook for the weekend of AMG, it will be a cool weekend, cooler than normal for this time of year...it is supposed to be our hot month in the city...lol

Pack accordingly...remember LAYERS!!!!  as you can see day high and overnigh low are pretty much the same.

Sep 13  AM Clouds / PM Sun
 61°/56° 10% 
  61°F

Fri
Sep 14  Partly Cloudy
 61°/55° 10% 
  61°F

Sat
Sep 15  Sunny
 61°/55° 10% 
  61°F

Sun
Sep 16  Mostly Sunny
 63°/57° 20% 
  63°F

Mon
Sep 17  Partly Cloudy
 67°/58° 10% 

Looking forward to meeting everyone

Rich

POSITIVE PEDALERS... We are a group of people living with HIV/AIDS, eliminating stigma through our positive public example.

Offline allanq

« Reply #89 on: September 10, 2007, 11:29:44 am »
I hope Rich's weather report will allay the fears of those who were worried about the lack of air conditioning at the Powell Hotel!

Allan

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.