Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 07:37:56 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772787
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 219
Total: 221

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Real Risk?  (Read 15864 times)

Offline nashville21

Real Risk?
« on: January 09, 2009, 12:05:27 am »
Last May, I had an encounter outside my 2 1/2 year relationship. We had protected anal sex all night and then fell asleep. The next morning, I woke up to him spooning me. He inserted himself briefly (unprotected) until I quickly pulled away. He claims to not remember this. 5 weeks later, I developed walking pneumonia and started to freak out thinking it was ARS. Since then

1. Blood test at 6 weeks - Negative
2. Oraquick test at 7 weeks - negative
3. Oraquick for both me and him at 3 months (August) - negative.

I was extremely paranoid about the situation, but he assured me everything was alright and that he always used protection. He has previously been tested in early April. I thought everything was okay until I went to get tested again today. I have been fighting something horrible this week (possible sinus infection) and it spurred my internet obsession again. I started getting ideas and and went to get tested. This time, it was a POSITIVE.

I told the councilor all the details and that there was only one time it could have happened, and he said it was very rare to get it from a single time. He also pointed out that for every 10 positives he sees, about 3 or 4 are false. I called my boyfriend (we have had unprotected sex since this incident) to the clinic and he tested NEGATIVE. The guy who I was with that night will be testing tomorrow.

In my head, it doesn't make sense. Could both of our 3 month test results been wrong? What is the likelyhood this test is a FALSE POSITIVE...or do I really have HIV? I did have two episodes of oral sex late last year (and I have some dental problems from a prior eating disorder)...was this a possible risk?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: False Positive??
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 05:43:01 am »
nash,

As you've been told, false positive results are fairly common. You need follow-up testing with a Western Blot to find out what your hiv status actually is. The clinic should have taken more blood for this follow-up testing. If they aren't doing the follow-up, you need to get that done.

Given what you've told us, I fully expect this to be a false positive.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline nashville21

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 09:14:56 am »
Yes, they are sending my blood on for further testing. Unfortunately, I have to wait 2 weeks for the results. Like  I said, my boyfriend tested negative yesterday, and the other guy is testing today. Part of me is super confident in the situation, and part of me is scared out of my mind.

Can you answer my last question for my own knowledge? I suffered from Bullemia for 4 years and I have tooth damage that I have not been able to take care of. Would oral sex with these circumstances pose a threat of HIV transmission? I've read that oral sex is a very low risk, but does tooth damage heightened the risk? Thanks.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 09:51:30 am »
Nash,

No, not really. Saliva contains over a dozen different proteins and enzymes that damage hiv and render it unable to infect.

If I understand you correctly, you have had a negative test result AFTER you had the positive result. It really does sound as though your positive result is WRONG.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline nashville21

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 09:56:53 am »
No, the positive test is my most recent result.  I had a blood test at 6 weeks, and an oraquick at 7 weeks and 12/13 weeks all come out negative. I'm now about 8 months out with a positive oraquick result. The guy I was with that night also tested negative around the 3 month mark, and my partner tested negative yesterday.

I have only had two anal sex partners in this period. The only other possibility is oral sex only (no anal involved). Does this still sound like a false positive to you?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 10:07:14 am by nashville21 »

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 10:06:18 am »
Yes, I think it is very likely a false positive. You need to get re-tested.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Andy Velez

Offline nashville21

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 04:32:44 pm »
We got my "fling's" results back and he is negative. Huge weight lifted off my shoulders, but I'm still concerned.

How worried should I be about this positive test being a result from the two oral incidents. They both happened late October/early November. I am right around the 8-10 week period. In your opinions, are the chances greater to have a false positive OraQuick swab test or being infected through oral sex? I've contacted the two other guys...hopefully I will hear from them soon!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 06:54:28 pm »
I don't believe in relying on another person's negative test result to determine your HIV status.

Get your own test done and make sure about YOUR status.

Andy Velez

Offline nashville21

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 11:17:48 am »
I understand, and I am not relying on his result as my own, but this waiting game has seriously affected my every day life. I'm doing what I can to rationalize my real odds of actually having the infection. Is it normal to have to wait 2 weeks for the 2nd test results?

To be honest, my main source of worry right now are the two times I had oral sex (neither carrried to ejaculation). I've talked with both people and they both say they are clean...but again, I am not relying on their word. I've read that transmission via oral sex is somewhere in the 1 out of 10,000 odds. Do you also believe this to be true?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 11:22:04 am »
You were never at risk for the oral sex, your risk was the dipping he did without a condom.

Offline nashville21

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2009, 09:28:08 pm »
I decided to go to a local clinic this morning and speak with a counselor about my situation. After speaking with her, she recommended that I do another 20 minute swab test. After everyone in the clinic tried to convince me the first positive was not a fluke, I tested negative. They actually let me see the test this time and informed me on what they looked for in positive tests. There was no T line at all. Everyone was pretty shocked (including myself, in all honesty...even though I knew my true chances were very minimal)

She still had me do a western blot test for precautionary methods. She said I'm not completely in the clear yet. How confident should I feel in this negative result? I feel like I should be very optimistic about the situation. I do feel so much better than I did this morning!

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 10:01:17 pm »
You are conclusively negative.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2009, 04:55:59 am »
Nash,

I fully expect the WB to confirm your negative status.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline nashville21

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2009, 01:33:33 pm »
Hello everyone,

I have always been OCD about my health...it's something that I am trying to deal with in my every day life. HIV was never a concern of mine (because I do not engage in unprotected anal sex) until earlier this year when I received a false positive test result. I was an extremely traumatizing experience, and it's taken a long time for me to get over.

I thought I was getting better and decided to fool around with a guy last night. No anal sex...just kissing, rubbing, and blowjobs. I know that the risk of HIV transmission is low for oral sex, but I have poor oral health, including a few broken teeth. How significantly does it increase my chances of getting HIV? He says he is negative, but again...the falise positive was difficult. I started not trusting doctors, test results, and other people's word. With all this said, should I be concerned or am I worrying needlessly? Does this warrant testing?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
Re: Real Risk?
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2009, 01:39:46 pm »
Nash,

Thank you for returning to your original thread. It helps us to help you when you keep everything in one thread - even if the questions are different.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines. Thank you for your cooperation.

Hiv cannot infect you through broken teeth. If you have large, fresh gaping wounds in your mouth, it may be best to avoid giving head without a condom, but otherwise, you're worrying unnecessarily. And of course, GETTING blown is absolutely no risk for hiv whatsoever.

Neither is kissing, regardless of your oral health.

As long as you're using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, you'll be just fine where hiv is concerned.

I'm sorry to hear your false negative result has upset your faith in modern medicine, but there's really no need. The possibility of a false positive result is why there are checks and balances in place to make sure no one is incorrectly diagnosed with hiv infection. Your previous results mean you ARE hiv negative. If you continue to have doubts, please seek counseling. We cannot help you with OCD issues here.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline nashville21

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2009, 02:07:26 pm »
Thank you Ann. Yes, it's been difficult to accept a lot of my doctor's advice because of the false positive. One of the most confusing aspects of this situation is the contradicting information I am getting from different sources. I read online that oral sex is little to no risk for HIV...but my doctor tells me it's a major risk. When I went for my last testing to disprove the false positive, I told the lady at the HIV clinic about my oral problem and she says it puts me at a risk as high as unprotective anal sex...while this forum says it doesn't make a difference.

I tend to use this forum as a starting point to assess my risks. When I came to this forum and presented my situation, I was told that my positive result was most likely false. When I presented the same information to the HIV clinic, I was told that my positive test result was correct...and my oral issues was probably the route of transmission. She said that she had never seen a false positive test result in her career.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2009, 02:37:26 pm »
Positive tests are never positive unless confirmed by a confirmative test. The clinic advisor gave incorrect information. The advisor if she said it at all, that oral sex is as high a risk as unprotected anal sex is ignorante and shouldn't be in that clinic working if she doesn't know what she's talking about. And to add, it does you no good having OCD which isn't under control to be surfing the Internet or the other forums of this website.

Offline nashville21

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2009, 03:08:44 pm »
*clarification --- she said that giving oral sex with poor oral hygiene is as risky as unprotected anal intercourse.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2009, 03:13:17 pm »
Unless you have meth mouth or just had oral surgery then there is not a risk.

Offline nashville21

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2009, 03:33:00 pm »
I am really not trying to be a pain...but I have two teeth in the back of my mouth that decayed and then recently broke off to the gums. It's a result from bulimia, but meth or any drug use. Do these teeth put me in the same category as someone who has "meth mouth?"

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2009, 03:38:53 pm »
NO.. You cannot contract HIV from oral sex with rotten teeth. Saliva has over a dozen different enzymes and proteins that inhibit HIV transmission. For the last time, "You did not have a risk of contracting HIV." Seek further counseling with your doctor that is treating your OCD.

Offline lion53900

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2009, 09:38:23 pm »
dude, u didnt have a risk. move on

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2009, 09:51:48 pm »
lion53900,

■Only those Moderators and members who are authorized to answer questions in the Am I Infected? forum are permitted do so. Unauthorized responses may be deleted without permission of the poster. Repeatedly posting replies of this nature may result in a Time Out or permanent ban, at the discretion of the Moderator Team.

Offline nashville21

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2009, 03:53:23 am »
Almost 5 weeks after the oral sex (June 5), I got tested and it came back negative. I was content with my result until I was diagnosed with shingles today. The nurse made a comment that shingles are common in HIV patients and I was wondering if shingles is common in the very early stages of HIV? I'm trying to be realistic, but part of me thinks my test two weeks ago was taken too early and my shingles
Is HIV related. Any thoughts?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2009, 05:41:34 am »
Nash,

Shingles are common, end of story. You certainly do NOT have to be hiv positive to get shingles - you only have to have had chicken pox at some point in your life.

Your negative result is NOT going to change. Unless you've been having unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse you haven't told us about, you haven't had a risk.

Don't think you'll be permitted to use this forum to wring your hands over your shingles. While they're unpleasant, ANYONE who has had chicken pox can get them. You do not have to be hiv positive.

Ann
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 05:44:46 am by Ann »

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline nashville21

Burning Skin
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2010, 08:30:55 am »
Hello...

Haven't posted in a long time...but I do have a question. Decided to give oral sex to a guy...a few days after this happened, I was told by another person that this guy has a rep in the gay community and his status is questionable. I tried not thinking too much into it knowing what I've been told on this site.

One week after being with this guy, I am experiencing extremely tingly/burning skin on my back and arms. It feels much like the beginning stages of shingles....but feeling it on both sides of my body, I know it's probably not shingles. My skin feels like I'm overheating....hot to the touch (hugging a friend - - - it was pointed out to me by another person), but I don't have a fever. At this exact moment, I can't wear a shirt because I feel like i'm overheating so badly. Could this be HIV related? Is it possibly a symptom of another STD?

Thanks!

Offline nashville21

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2010, 02:48:51 pm »
I am sorry to be posting again, but I do have a question in relationship to my last post a few days ago. I decided to instead of worry about HIV, I was going to be proactive in bettering myself. I saw a dentist this morning to get on the right path as far as my oral health is concerned. He mentioned that I had to have one of my broken teeth pulled because it is abscessed. He explained to me that it meant that my tooth was infected. Does this change anything as far as HIV goes. I don't plan on doing anything sexually for awhile (at least until my teeth are fixed), but I want to know as far as my last encounter is concerned. I do understand that oral risk is low risk...but I'm just trying to understand if my circumstances change anything.

Thanks!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2010, 02:56:15 pm »
Infected tooth notwithstanding, your saliva has over a dozen elements and proteins which very effectively prevent the transmission of viable HIV.
Andy Velez

Offline nashville21

« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2010, 04:08:08 pm »
Hello!

I have a question about fisting...I met up with a guy a few nights ago and we had protected anal sex. Afterwards, he asked me to finger him and after all said and done, I ended up fisting him. I thought I was playing it safe that evening...but today I was thinking about it and wondered if I put myself at risk for infection. I do bite my nails out of nerve habit...and my cuticles are sorta damaged. No major cuts or sores other than what looks like a very tiny red paper cut in between two fingers. Is fisting without a glove or protection safe?

I also do have a question as far as my dental health. I have begun treatment for my teeth and have been avoiding oral sex...but with the case of broken teeth vs meth mouth...what is the real difference? I've been kinda studying up on it for my own person knowledge. Even with broken teeth that leave the gums exposed, would my saliva still hinder HIV infection? Is meth mouth a greater risk because of the lack of saliva?

Thanks!

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2010, 04:22:00 pm »
Hello!

I have a question about fisting...I met up with a guy a few nights ago and we had protected anal sex. Afterwards, he asked me to finger him and after all said and done, I ended up fisting him. I thought I was playing it safe that evening...but today I was thinking about it and wondered if I put myself at risk for infection. I do bite my nails out of nerve habit...and my cuticles are sorta damaged. No major cuts or sores other than what looks like a very tiny red paper cut in between two fingers. Is fisting without a glove or protection safe?

I also do have a question as far as my dental health. I have begun treatment for my teeth and have been avoiding oral sex...but with the case of broken teeth vs meth mouth...what is the real difference? I've been kinda studying up on it for my own person knowledge. Even with broken teeth that leave the gums exposed, would my saliva still hinder HIV infection? Is meth mouth a greater risk because of the lack of saliva?

Thanks!
Fisting is a risk to the receiver only when followed with unprotected anal sex. As for meth mouth, google it. You don't have anything close to meth mouth.

Offline nashville21

« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2010, 04:29:10 pm »
Thanks RapidRod! Can you just tell me what the difference is between sticking an unprotected penis & an unprotected finger (or fist) in the anus? Obviously the Urethra has a larger exposed hole, but why does a small cut or sore on a finger present the same risk. I'm not asking this in relation to my situation....just wanting to gain a better understanding. Thanks!

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2010, 04:40:04 pm »
You don't know the difference between a penis and a finger, or fist? Let me know when your finger and fist can ejaculate.

Offline nashville21

« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2010, 04:49:51 pm »
In difference...I mean difference in risk. While unprotected anal sex with a penis is high risk and unprotected fingering with possible cuts or nicks is no risk. Why is that? Both situations could potentially put you in direct contact with infected body fluids. I'm not questioning your initial answer..I was just wanting a little more insight.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2010, 04:54:14 pm »
HIV is not transmitted by small cuts, scrapes, abrasions or hangnails.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2010, 05:33:28 pm »
Nash,

Hiv can infect only a very few, very specific types of cells. These cells are NOT found in small cuts, scrapes or abrasions. They ARE found in the lining of the urethra and on the inner side of a foreskin. (the bit that is hidden when the penis is not erect)

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline nashville21

« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2011, 12:17:15 am »
Hello...

I had an unfortunate encounter about 25 days ago with a friend I trusted. We went out drinking with friends...only to wake up at a friend's place with him trying to penetrate me. I don't remember much, but I did wake up in a panic and reached around and realized he did have a condom on. I do think he continued. I don't remember much else, but I asked and he did say he was protected the entire time.

I come to find out through mutual friends that's he very sick with a flu-like mystery illness and checked himself into the ER last night. I did get tested after 21 days and it came back negative. I know it's early, but can I put any weight in that negative test? Also, does the severity of ARS symptoms vary with the strain of HIV, or an individual's own reaction? I have had no symptoms...but was wondering if my symptoms would closely mimic his if he had actually infected me?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2011, 09:18:15 am »
From what you have described it seems likely that you actually had protected intercourse. But HIV status is never something to guess about so getting tested is a good idea.

The average time to seconversion is 22 days. All but the smallest number of those who are going to seroconvert will do so within 4-6 weeks after an exposure to the virus. So if you test negative at 6 weeks it is likely you will continue to test negative at 3 months for a conclusive result.

A red flag in your story is drinking to excess and then finding yourself in a vulnerable situation sexually. Drinking excessively definitely impairs one's judgement in general and in sexual situations specifically and should be avoided.

Good luck with your tests. Given what you have reported I expect you will come out of this ok.
Andy Velez

Offline nashville21

« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2011, 04:08:21 pm »
I know this is an HIV forum ... but I'm hoping someone can help me with this situation.

A week ago, I was diagnosed with a boggy, internal hemorrhoid. The symptoms from this is what actually spurred my decision to get tested for STDs. I got my tests back today and I tested positive for anal gonorrhea. It was definitely a shocker, and it makes me very nervous given this guy's recent illness. I contacted him and he swears we were proctected the entire time -- from beginning to end.

I told the clinic about my situation and she suggested that I may have inadvertantly discovered by gonorrhea because of my symptoms from the hemmorhoid. If this is true, it means I was infected with gonorrhea for more than a month. Can gonorrhea be transmitted by anal frottage? This guy is the ONLY anal sex I have had since my last STD tests and he swears that were protected the entire time. I have messed around with multiple guys in the meantime. No anal penetration, but there was frottage. I had another HIV test done at nearly month nd it came back negative.

Also, had he infected me with gonorrhea ... does that mean I was definitely infected with HIV as well?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 04:10:05 pm by nashville21 »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2011, 04:33:23 pm »
Nash,

Yes, anal gonorrhea could conceivably be transmitted during frottage. Gonorrhea is MUCH more easily transmitted than hiv could ever hope to be. Thankfully, it's totally treatable.

You could have had gonorrhea for much longer than you suspect - it often has no noticeable symptoms, like some other STIs including but not limited to chlamydia and syphilis. This is why a yearly (at the least) FULL sexual health check up is imperative if you want to stay sexually healthy.

No, being infected with gonorrhea is not a guarantee that you will also be infected with hiv. If your gonorrhea infection was a pre-existing one and you had unprotected intercourse with a positive person it may increase your risk, but it is still NOT a guarantee that you would become infected with hiv.

As Andy said, a test at six weeks will be a very good indication of your hiv status one way or the other. You're just going to have to wait until the appropriate time to test. I also agree with Andy when he said it sounds like this incident was protected. However, your hiv status is nothing to guess about, so test.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline nashville21

« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2011, 12:04:17 pm »
When I got tested at 4 weeks, the clinic did offer me an extensive (and expensive) blood test that they said would definitely confirm HIV at this point had I been infected. I didn't catch the name, but my anxiety over this incident is so unbearable at this point that i am thinking about going and get it done. Can anyone shed more light on this test, and is it advisable to do it at this point? I've read that at 4 weeks, the odds are greatly on my side, but nothing is conclusive and I feel like I've reached my emotional max.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2011, 01:08:35 pm »
Nash,

It's kinda difficult to comment on a test when we don't know what the test is, eh?

I'll give it a shot. It sounds like they might be talking about a PCR test, as PCR tests are expensive. PCR tests look for the virus itself, rather than the antibodies.

DNA PCR tests are NOT approved for diagnostic purposes as they have a high result of FALSE positive results. Trust me, you don't want one of those.

RNA PRC tests ARE approved for diagnostic purposes, but only in cases where transmission is a very real possibility. Transmission is NOT a very real possibility in this case.

Don't waste your money when you can have an antibody result at six weeks that will be highly unlikely to change. Regardless of what the PCR test result comes back as, you will STILL have to have the result confirmed with antibody testing. Do not waste your money!

Another thing to consider is that PCR tests can take up to two weeks for a result. You would probably be able to get your six week antibody result before you'd get the PCR result. Do not waste your money on a test (PCR) that you do not need.

There are no short cuts to hiv testing.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline nashville21

« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2011, 11:18:05 pm »
Thanks, Ann. I got the p24 Antigen test done at 28 days. I got a negative result from that test this morning, with a follow-up 5-week negative antibody test. Is that pretty strong evidence that I am negative?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2011, 11:28:19 pm »
Your 3 month post exposure antibody test will be conclusive.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2011, 08:41:57 am »
Of course your negative test result is encouraging. But as Rod has pointed out you need to re-test at 3 months for a conclusive negative result.
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.