Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:17:31 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 373
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 346
Total: 346

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: confused  (Read 15035 times)

Offline snowblind

confused
« on: September 14, 2011, 04:27:20 pm »
Hey guys,

Just wondering if I could get your thoughts on what  think are my completely irrational thoughts.

6-8 weeks ago I went, for the first time in my life, to a gay sex club. All I did there was wank myself - I wouldn't let anyone touch my cock there. People brushed past me and groped me. One guy came and kissed my neck.

I also kissed two guys on the lips during the same period, tongues were used for a couple of seconds maximum.

I also frequented a couple of cottages where two guys wanked me off.

I have now found a man who I am building a relationship with. We kiss with tongues, he has sucked me off and wanked me, but no more than that. When he sucked me he scraped the head of my penis and part of the shaft with his teeth and it made a small mark/sore.

What are the chances of hiv infection from these experiences? I'm so paranoid, have irrational thoughts and just need some good, clear advice. I have not sucked anyone, or fucked/been fucked atall.

About 6 weeks ago I cam down with a really bad cold - very chesty cough, blocked nose, lots of sneezing, headaches  (feeling like my head is full of gunk)- though I heard that these cold symptoms aren't related to hiv infection.

I last tested for HIV in May and everything was clear.

I think because I have this new relationship, I just want to make sure I am ok - for my sake and his.

Many thanks!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: confused
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 05:31:07 pm »
Nothing you are reporting amongst your activities put you at risk for HIV. The ONLY confirmed risks for the sexual transmission of HIV are unprotected vaginal and anal intercourse. That's it. As long as condoms are used consistently for those activities you will be well protected.

We do advise anyone who is sexually active to at least annually have a full STD panel done. Other STDs are much easier to acquire than HIV. But this time around you are worrying needlessly and there is no need for HIV testing.

If you develop a relationship with this new fellow you should keep on using condoms for intercourse. The only time to safely dispense with using condoms is if and when you are in a securely monogamous relationship in which both partners reliably test negative together.

This time you're good to go.
Andy Velez

Offline snowblind

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 04:43:02 am »
Many thanks for your reply, Andy.

I will, of course, only use condoms for sex with this new guy I am seeing. We have discussed testing etc together.

I think I wanted to put this whole 'sex club' experience behind me as it was totally out of character for me to go to such a place and I feel guilty.

I have done an HIV test at my local clinic just yesterday and will have the results tomorrow.

Hopefully, I can put this episode behind me and put my irrational thoughts to rest!

Many thanks again!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 08:34:56 am »
You're welcome.

As for guilt about having gone to a sex club --- listen, you're just a guy and you did what you did. Guilt doesn't serve anyone well. Accept it as a part of your history, take a breath, (really), let it go and get on with your life.

Good luck with your test result.

Andy Velez

Offline snowblind

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 04:51:39 am »
I just got a phone call from the clinic, and my HIV test result was negative.

Thank you for your help and support - this is a great site, full of great resources and wonderful advice.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 04:59:49 am »
Snow,

Good, if not unexpected, news.

Please make sure your new partner has also been tested for all STIs (you should do this as well), not just hiv, before you two decide to go without condoms. And please only do this (no condoms) in the context of a securely monogamous relationship.

Good luck with your new man. It sounds like you two can speak openly about things and that's great. It can be difficult to find a relationship where honesty and forthrightness are present.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline snowblind

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 12:42:47 pm »
Hi Ann,

Yes, I was also tested for other STI's and will get those results next week.

I have spoken a lot with my partner about everything, and believe he is honest with me. He last had a full screening for everything in July and was clear. He had full sex with one guy, but it was all safe.

However, we will both test again in a couple of months and I wouldn't go without condoms until that point, if atall. I know he told me his last partner, of four years, was always with condoms.

Many thanks again!

Offline snowblind

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 10:14:12 am »
Quick question:

My partner has now gone and tested today for a full STI screening.

I am seeing him this weekend but the results won't be back until next week.

We haven't fucked yet, but I want to do it (with condoms). Is this ok to do before he gets his test results back? He assures me he has never fucked or been fucked without a condom.

Also, will we be ok to perform oral sex (giving and receiving) on each other?

We have both previously had the vaccines against Hep B.

I'm guessing if he tested positive for Chlymadia, Gonorrhoea or syphillis that these can be cured (were he to have them).

Many thanks!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 11:02:37 am »
Snow,

As long as you're using condoms - and using them correctly so they don't break - when you fuck, you will be protected. Read through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use them correctly and with confidence.

Oral isn't a risk.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline snowblind

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 02:14:10 pm »
My partner got some results back today - well, four text messages saying 'no infection' - though I've said to him he needs to call to find out which infection tests those relate to exactly. He was only tested yesterday.

I got my Chlamydia and Gonorrhoea results back today, too  - all clear.

I have a question - is an hiv+ infected person more likely to have another STI that they would pass on as well as the HIV?

Thanks, as always.

EDIT: What I'm trying to find out is if a person is HIV+ positive, is there a higher chance they'd be infected with some other STI's meaning that if my partner tested negative for chylmadia etc is it less likely he'd have hiv?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 02:28:10 pm by snowblind »

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 02:28:44 pm »
Reread Ann's reply about using condoms.

Offline snowblind

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 03:02:05 pm »
Yes, I will only have sex with my partner with condoms anyway...but that wasn't quite what I was asking.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2011, 04:07:11 pm »
An person infected with HIV is no more or less likely to have another STI as the general population. I mean, if that's what you are asking.

We are not, after all, simply chock full of disease.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline snowblind

Some clarification...
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2011, 08:49:03 am »
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 03:39:41 am by snowblind »

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2011, 09:04:53 am »
I've merged your threads. In the future please follow the rule of the site and use only this same thread to post entries. Thanks for your cooperation.

An indeterminate result is actually fairly common and a number of factors can cause that to happen. But the important thing is that you ultimately tested negative. False positives can happen but not false negatives as long as the test is done at the proper time, which is at 3 months after a risk to be conclusive.

You really didn't have a risk to begin with since you had protected intercourse. Unprotected vaginal and anal intercourse are the only confirmed risks for the sexual transmission of HIV.

You are HIV negative. Get on with your life and make sure to keep using condoms for intercourse. Every time.
Andy Velez

Offline snowblind

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2011, 09:09:40 am »
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 03:40:04 am by snowblind »

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2011, 02:43:20 pm »
protected sex is not a risk for HIV.

As Andy said, you are reliably HIV negative. There is no sense continuing to worry or test.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

Welcome Thread

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2011, 05:05:00 pm »
You are making your situation way more complicated than it needs to be by getting caught up in a myriad of details.

The bottom line is that you have reliably tested negative for HIV. And in terms of sexual risk you'll  stay negative as long as you consistently use condoms for vaginal and anal intercourse. Yes, it really is just that simple.

Cut out the unnecessary worrying and get on with your life. Really.
Andy Velez

Offline snowblind

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2011, 12:22:50 pm »
One quick question - is the negative result of a PCR RNA test deemed 100% conclusive following an indeterminate result?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2011, 02:13:38 pm »
■Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Offline snowblind

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2011, 02:18:59 pm »
I am merely asking one question.

I am not doubting anything any one has said to me - I am just curious to know.

A quick, simple and concise answer (which is generally what I have found on this forum) would be far more helpful.

I am only asking these questions as I have not received any helpful advice elsewhere and thought that considering the amount of knowledge held by yourselves, that you were the correct people to ask. Sorry if this is too much trouble.

Offline snowblind

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2011, 12:19:55 pm »
Is there any risk here?

The ONLY sexual contact has been:

I received unprotected oral sex twice. On this occasion he accidentally scraped the head of my penis and foreskin with his teeth which made it very sore, looking like skin had been 'scraped' off and resulting in it taking a few days to heal.

We french kissed when I had a bad gum infection.

I fingered his anus.

The past couple of weeks I had had pains in my neck and back of head, though I couldn't really feel the glands swollen. I felt a kind of non-existant lump just above my adams apple, which felt tight. I discovered a lump on the roof of my mouth this week, which appears to be like a spot, pink coloured and painless. The roof of my mouth has gone slightly orange. I've had spots come up on the top side of my  lower arms, very sore, and when i squeeze them a clear liquid comes out. The bruise after I've squeezed them. I got a pain in my armpit last night and this morning can see a flat, red spot which hurts when I touch - but i cant feel any lump.

Are these symptoms of infection? I'm so worried and am panicking, so hope you can help by giving me your opinion.

Do you think there is a need for me to re-test?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2011, 12:59:53 pm »
You did not have any risk for HIV and there is no reason you need to re-test.

Stop this unwarranted worry and drama and get on with your life. Really.
Andy Velez

Offline snowblind

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2012, 05:56:45 am »
How common is an equivocal elisa? Or WB?

If an antobody result was equivocal and confirmed at a reference lab as negative, and a further test two months later again came back as equivocal (but wasn't sent to reflab), would this mean hiv infection is still likely or something else is causing the results? No unprotected anal sex has taken place. Surely a 2/3 month gap between equivocal results would show up as either positive or negative by then (should it infact be a case of hiv infection)?

Thanks.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2012, 06:10:19 am »
You are making matters way more complicated than they need to be.

If you are still talking about the incidents which brought you here then I am repeating that you were not at risk. Period. So testing is unnecessary.

As far as tests are concerned equivocal results can happen for all sorts of reasons. The western blot is very specific and sensitive and not one you'd be getting an equivocal result from.

Testing is strictly for your peace of mind as far as you are concerned because you have not had a for real risk of any kind. So at the end of the day of course you're going to test negative.
Andy Velez

Offline snowblind

« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2012, 06:21:29 am »
It is my partner who has the equivocal results, over a period of time three tests have been equivocal (Im not sure if these are Elisa tests or WB). Twice they have been confirmed at a reference lab as negative, but not the last test as they said there had been no change to the previous test..This has gone on for 12 months now - surely if he were truly positive the last result or even the one two months before would have turned to positive by now? The first equivocal test was 12 months before.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2012, 07:11:36 am »
Snow,

By "equivocal", do you mean "indeterminate"? I've never heard the word equivocal being used for any hiv test result.

If your partner is positive, he would have had a definite positive result by now. The hiv testing window period is only three months. It sounds to me as though the doctor and/or lab consider his results as negative.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline snowblind

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2012, 07:21:14 am »
Hi Ann,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, the clinic told him his results were equivocal - though I believe it means the same as indeterminate.

His results are as follows:

August 2010 - equivocal, tested at reference lab and came back negative
July 2011 - equivocal, tested at reference lab and came back negative
September 2011 - equivocal, not sent to reference lab as they say there was no change in the result from the previous test (I guess no change in Elisa colour or band in WB test).

Not sure if the Elisa test is showing as equivocal or if its a WB - the clinic havent said.

The only risk is protected anal sex (giving and receiving) and oral sex.

I'm in a blind panic over what these results could mean and no-one seems to really know how to interpret them. Though seeing as its been going on over 12 months, surely they would have turned positive by the last test?

What do you think?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2012, 07:26:33 am »
Snow,

His negative results are not going to ever change to positive if he's only engaged in protected anal and oral sex. Neither are risks. You should know that by now.

But yes, if he DID have a risk (he didn't), an indeterminate result would have turned positive by now if he were infected.

Sometimes underlying (and often undiagnosed) autoimmune disease can trigger these types of results. Maybe he needs to be checked for autoimmune disease.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline snowblind

« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2012, 07:00:53 am »
Ann,

My partner tested again this week - got the result this morning - after a further six months on no-risk the result is exactly the same as the test in September, and the July before that. So, no evolving serology.

Do you think this would confirm he is negative and that his result is due to non-specific antibodys or some other reason? Surely he would show positive by now?! 18 months have passed since the first test result.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2012, 07:05:35 am »
Snow,

Yes, he would most definitely test positive after 18 months if he were positive. I take it he got another indeterminate?

Has he been checked for underlying conditions such as autoimmune disease? He should.

If he hasn't tested poz by now, he's not going to. He does not have hiv.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline snowblind

« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2012, 07:11:48 am »
Yes, he actually got a weakly reactive, as he did in all the other tests - on the document is states weakly reactive but on the computer it says equivocal, so the same thing, basically.

They think it could be a flu/swine flu vaccine affecting the result, as it is since he has had those that his results are showing in this way.

However, I now think that as six months have passed even since the last test that a positive would show in three months anyway, right? I mean that's double the normal window period time, plus a further year on top of that.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2012, 08:26:26 am »
Yes, at 6 months (or more) he would have tested positive if he is actually HIV positive.

Andy Velez

Offline snowblind

« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2012, 06:58:15 am »
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 06:20:51 am by snowblind »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2012, 07:09:45 am »
Snow,

The term isn't actually "weakly positive", it's indeterminate or weakly reactive. Indeterminate or weakly reactive isn't positive.

Is this latest result an antibody test, or an antibody test plus a Western Blot that are both indeterminate?

Have they run an RNA PCR test on him? That may answer some questions. However, I fully expect a PCR test to return negative results.

Why? Because in a person who actually has the virus, an indeterminate result will normally change to a strong positive by six weeks after infection has taken place. It's been eighteen months now since infection may have taken place - so he'd be testing strongly poz on BOTH an antibody test and an WB test.

What are his doctors saying other than speculating about flu vaccines? (Flu vaccines are not going to still be affecting his hiv tests.)

I keep asking you about whether or not he's been screened for autoimmune disease - because this sounds like results caused by the presence of an autoimmune disease to me.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline snowblind

« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2012, 12:46:59 pm »
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 06:21:25 am by snowblind »

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2012, 02:30:21 pm »
You are making this issue way more complicated than it needs to be. By your own report you two have not had sex which would have put you at risk. I don't see HIV as an issue here.

Let it go and get on with your life. Really. Frankly we're not going to indulge in an endless rouind of what ifs in this situation. If you continue to return about this non-risk situation you are going to find yourself getting a Time Out from the site.

I see no basis for thinking HIV is seriously an issue for you.
Andy Velez

Offline snowblind

« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2012, 02:44:46 pm »
I was answering Ann's questions in my last post.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2012, 02:50:11 pm »
OK. And with mutual masturbation as the only sexual activity I don't see any risk in the situation.
Andy Velez

Offline snowblind

« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2012, 03:05:19 pm »
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 06:23:00 am by snowblind »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2012, 07:57:40 am »
Snow,

Thanks for the more detailed explanation of what's been going on.

Your boyfriend does NOT have hiv. That's the bottom line here.

If there were any question, there is no doubt in my mind that the GUM clinic would be doing further investigation. They're confident he does not have hiv and so am I after reading your other post.

GUM clinics are good at what they do. I should know, I'm also in the UK and attend a GUM every three months.

It's time you moved on from this situation - and it's good to hear your bf is going to speak to his doctor about autoimmune screening. Better safe than sorry.

Hiv is not the problem here. Just make sure you're using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you shouldn't have to worry about hiv in future either.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline snowblind

« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2012, 03:18:16 am »
Ok, so my partners confirmatory tests were negative.

However, I'm worried about myself now. I have oral thrush. Had a week of having yellow loose stools. My Tongue is stinging and burning. I e also had mild night sweats a few times.

In late December I had a small lump appear under the skin on my neck.

In September I went to a gay sex club - a guy followed me around and tried to grab my bum but hot the back of my leg. I'm not sure if he tried to stick a needle in me. I also went to a few public toilets where I as med but didn't touch anyone. Could I have been stuck with a needle there?

I've not had any sec even with my boyfriend but I'm so scared of the thrush etc as it says it is caused by HIV.

Or could my anxieties cause oral thrush? I tested negative on January 4th. About 5 weeks after the sex club incident. Is that test 110percent conclusive? Do I need to retest?

All this worry is taking over me :-(
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 03:36:41 am by snowblind »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2012, 06:21:45 am »
Snow,

Yes, it is indeed taking over your life if you're starting to worry about being stuck with a needle - that is a tiresome urban legend and has no basis in reality. Nobody's ever been infected that way and you aren't going to be the first.

You haven't had a risk for hiv infection.

A white tongue does not equal thrush. Oral thrush hurts like hell and I really doubt you have thrush. Only a doctor can diagnose thrush - and even they get it wrong sometimes. Thrush can only really be diagnosed by having a swab of the area done and tests run on the sample. Unless you've been officially diagnosed with thrush, knock off with the self-diagnosis.

It sounds like you're sliding into irrational hiv phobia. Find yourself a therapist you can discuss this with before it completely takes over your life. We cannot help you with that here.

Neither you nor your boyfriend have hiv.

If you continue to post about this imaginary needle scenario, you'll quickly be given a Time Out.

Please consider yourself warned!!!

Oh, and please stop editing your posts to blank. I don't appreciate taking the time to answer your questions and then having you come along and delete those questions. I feel like I've wasted my time when you do that. The answers could help someone else, but not when you delete the questions. Nobody's going to know who you are, so don't give me the privacy excuse.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline snowblind

« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2012, 01:36:24 pm »
Apologies Ann. I very much respect all your replies, so apologise for editing my posts.

My doctor diagnosed me with the oral thrush. I've never had it in my lie before. I've been on no antibiotics. she said it may be caused by me being run down.

Is fourteen week negative duo test 100 per cent conclusive? And is his true for both sexual and drug transmissions?

I am trying to organise counselling for my phobias.

I just can't see how I could have got oral thrush. I also had a week of yellow stools and bright yellow urine and the occasional mild night sweat.

Thanks Ann.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2012, 05:22:26 am »
Snow,

Thank you, I accept your apology. Just don't do it again, OK? Ta.

Yes, a fourteen week negative is conclusive regardless of the transmission route. Anything at or after twelve weeks is conclusive, although officially, the Yanks and Ozzies are a bit more anal than Brits and insist on thirteen weeks. Either is conclusive. In fact, I fully expect the window period to be dropped to six weeks sometime in the future. But for now, three months is golden.

Your doctor told you why you got thrush - you're run down after all the fretting you've been doing. (The phrase "I've been worried sick" didn't come about by accident, ya know!)

Every person living on the planet always has the organism that causes thrush on and in their bodies (Candida albicans) - it's just a fact of life. (You'd be amazed at how many organisms live on and in us.) Lots of things can throw the delicate balance off and cause an overgrowth of some organisms, and Candida albicans is notorious for overgrowth. Don't sweat it.

You may want to look at your diet - excess sugar and and some other things (have you been drinking a lot of beer or real ale?) can throw off the balance. You might want to start drinking one of the pro-biotic drinks on the market (ie Yakult). Google Candida albicans if you don't believe me.

If you're worried about your stool, see your doctor. He or she may want to run some liver tests (again, have you been drinking a lot lately?). It's nothing to do with hiv.

Good luck with the counseling. That's definitely the way to go.

Now get off the internet and do something that will take your mind off hiv. You do not have a problem with hiv.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline snowblind

« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2012, 02:16:24 pm »
Hi,

Hopefully you could give me some much need reassurance.

This might be long, so I apologise in advance.

In September last year I went to a sex club and think that a guy stuck a needle in my leg.

Up to the end of October I had done something Im really ashamed of - I went cottaging and just wanked in some toilets. I didn't touch anyone and wouldn't let them touch me.  However, in a few places I wanked, there was some fresh looking cum...I'm freaked out as I'm worried that when I was wanking I got some of this cum on the end of my dick, and heard that if it got on the mucuous membrane of the penis that it could infect me.

Fast forward to January this year, and I tested for HIV, with a duo test, it was negative. This was about 15 weeks post possible needle exposure and about 6 or 7 weeks minimum after the cottaging thing.

Two weeks or so before the test in January I started getting some weird symptoms - I felt generally unwell, a tightness in my throat, a lump came up on the side of my neck for about 5 days and there was one day where my whole body felt like there was a motor running through it, sort of tingle and numb at the same time.

Stupidly, in January this year I went to some public toilets, two times, for a wank - again, there was semen in the urinal, and I'm not sure that my cock touched it - but I;d seen the guy ejaculate in it about a minute or so before.

In March my tongue felt tingly and prickly. The doctor said I had oral thrush. The tongue went white, some red dots appeared on the tip of it, and it felt like little ulcers on it. I started to get Burning Mouth Syndrome.

The white tongue and burning mouth I still have to this day. I did a thrush swab and it was negative in April. I also had a full blood count in April which was ok, too. But I was diagnosed with a fatty liver - I have put on a lot of weight the past 12 months. LFT was ok, though, strangely.

The white tongue and tingling sensation continue still - some doctors say its thrush, others say its not. The dentist says theres a bit of candida but its not thrush. He says a dry mouth could be causing it.

I'm terrified to have another hiv test, as i feel that something is definitely wrong with the white tongue. I'd never had it before.

So, some questions:

1. Does this sound like hiv infection? Do the symptoms I mention concern you?

2. Could HIV got inside me through my penis in this way if it came into contact with the cum via the mucuous membrane? Has infection ever occured like this?

3. Is there a need for testing?

4. Could the white tongue and burning mouth be due to extreme anxiety?

5. Are you able to recommend any kind of counselling I could have to eliminate my hiv fears?

Thank you for all your help.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2012, 02:57:13 pm »
You really ought to take a few minutes and re-read your rather lengthy posting history. We have answered questions about sneaky needles, gobs of leftover semen, and other completely NO RISK scenarios for a long time now.

HIV is sexually transmitted through penetrative anal and/or vaginal intercourse. You aren't going to get it from wanking in a puddle of someone else's semen. You aren't going to be randomly injected by some AIDS Fiend. You aren't going to get it from testing, or anything else.

I hope you take advantage of a mental health counselor to help you overcome what seems to be a rather overwhelming phobia and obsession with HIV. I cannot imagine that this site can possibly be of any more constructive use to you.

Welcome Thread

Offline snowblind

« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2012, 05:15:34 am »
Thanks for your reply.

My fears really are taking over me and ruining my every day.

The white/burning tongue scares me as I've never had it before. I've seen about 5 different doctors, each who say a different thing - some say its thrush, others say its not, my dentist says there's some candida but its not thrush - I don't know who to believe.

I was put on Fluconazale but it did nothing. Nystatin did nothing.

The fact this has been going on for 7/8 months now worries me.

Thats why I have the fear that from my encounters, I did somehow get infected. I have not had any anal or oral sex.

The duo test after the cottaging incident last october was negative (6 or 7 weeks after incident). Though when I went again in january I haven't tested since.

Is there any possible way that I could have been infected in this way?

When cum hits the air, does it die instantly or weaken the virus immediately? Realistically, what are my chances I'm hiv positive?

I am going to be getting some CBT - I hope this will help.

Thank you for your help with this. It means a lot.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2012, 07:02:50 am »
Snow,

You absolutely were NOT at risk when you wanked in public toilets. The only way doing anything in a public toilet is going to put you at risk if you're bending over and having unprotected anal intercourse (or unprotected topping) while there.

Hiv is a fragile, difficult to transmit virus that is primarily transmitted INSIDE the human body, as in unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse where the virus never leaves the confines of the two bodies.

Once outside the body, small changes in temperature, and pH and moisture levels all quickly damage the virus and render it unable to infect. For this reason, there's no way in hell you're going to end up with hiv from cum in a urinal. NO WAY.

You again brought up the "he may have stabbed me with a needle" bullshit. I told you ages ago that is nothing more than an urban myth. knock it off already.

CBT is a good idea. We cannot help you with your hiv paranoia/phobia here.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline snowblind

« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2012, 07:06:08 am »
Thank you, Ann.

Honestly, you have been so helpful and I really appreciate it.

Do you think that the white tongue and burning mouth could be due to my anxiety? Does anxiety cause oral thrush? There seems to be so much misinformation about this. Everything you can read points to hiv infection.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 09:08:58 am by snowblind »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.