Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:48:38 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772964
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 130
Total: 130

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Using HIV  (Read 3751 times)

Offline littleprince

Using HIV
« on: April 24, 2011, 11:12:36 pm »
An interesting concept. Although I can’t see everyone lining up for their annual flu shot if they’re told it is made from the HIV virus.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/apr/24/my-bright-idea-mary-collins

...The notion that the virus could be used to improve human health is therefore an unexpected one. Nevertheless, this is the remarkable idea that is being pursued by Mary Collins, professor of immunology at University College London. She is leading a group of scientists who are devising ways to turn HIV's lethal properties on their head and to harness the virus so that it can be used to treat a range of diseases...

What we are doing is exploiting the ability of HIV – disabled so that it lacks mechanisms to replicate – to home in on the body's T-cells. We can then fit out the virus with proteins that belong to another virus, for example influenza.

The disabled HIV vaccine, carrying the flu proteins, will go straight to activate the body's T-cells. When T-cells come across pieces of foreign protein in our bodies, they stimulate several different types of attack against these invaders. Defence cells called killer T-cells are let loose. So, by using HIV, we have a mechanism for controlling the behaviour of T-cells and for directing our defences against diseases that we are particularly keen to protect people from.

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
Re: Using HIV
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 08:35:33 am »
The doctor says:

I do have other goals. I think HIV could be used not just as a standard vaccine that prevents infections but as a therapeutic vaccine that treats people after they have become infected – individuals with diseases like hepatitis B and C, for example.

I wonder of it can be used as a therapeutic vaccine to treat HIV.

Offline SunnyFlorida

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 10:44:25 am »
The doctor says:

I do have other goals. I think HIV could be used not just as a standard vaccine that prevents infections but as a therapeutic vaccine that treats people after they have become infected – individuals with diseases like hepatitis B and C, for example.

I wonder of it can be used as a therapeutic vaccine to treat HIV.

At the end of the article:
And, of course, there is the ultimate goal of using the virus as a therapeutic vaccine against HIV itself. Instead of putting flu virus proteins into your vaccine you will actually put back a few pieces of the original HIV virus proteins. You will have created a vaccine that could be used to treat Aids. Essentially, we are trying to tame this virus and turn it on itself. There is something very satisfying in that thought.

That would be almost poetic...

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 02:45:10 pm »
Thanks, Sunny. I was reading too fast and missed it.

The reason I think it's interesting is that HIV seems to be the only agent that's able to penetrate those long lived reservoirs. So maybe, theoretically, it can be disabled and programmed to go in there and kill it's brethren.

Or using it with gene therapy, have it go in there and alter a gene (CCR5, for example) the way they've done successfully in the treatment of SCID.

It surprises me that HIV itself isn't being used in any of the gene therapy trials. Maybe I'll email this piece to Paula Cannon and put a bug in her ear.

Offline SunnyFlorida

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 03:06:56 pm »
Yep, that would be awesome. I'm hopeful for both this and KP-1461 to usher in another revolution in anti-HIV medication!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.