Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:38:18 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 359
Total: 360

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: truvada, reyataz and norvir 3 days in  (Read 5831 times)

Offline hopeless21

truvada, reyataz and norvir 3 days in
« on: May 06, 2010, 08:47:55 pm »
I been on meds for about 3 days now. i just ate a big dinner and then took my pills. About 15 minutes later i throw up. What should i do ,Im worry .Should i just wait and take the pills tommorow or i should take them again.

Offline retroMan

Re: truvada, reyataz and norvir 3 days in
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 09:23:39 pm »
According to my script notes, all of those drugs are known to potentially cause vomiting, and or nausea.  If you're new to HIV meds, there is usually a period of adjustment required.  Normally these side effects go away after a week or two.

I've been on this regime since August 2007, and have never experienced discomfort.  But then, I wasn't treatment naive, meaning I was on other meds before this. 

I would contact my doctor as soon as possible if I were you.  Don't discontinue dosing though.  Let the doctor advise you best.  He/she may need to switch one of the drugs in the combo, change the dosage amount, or switch you to something else altogether. 

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 09:29:34 pm »
never retake them if you throw up, unless it's an immediate reaction and the whole pills come back up.. Some of the meds may have already gotten into your system. A major side effect to nearly all HIV meds for me has been to vomit. I can only suggest that you try to deal with it a few more days as your body adjusts to not only these new chemicals in your body but also a lowering viral load. And as with any med, it may take days or weeks to adjust. Contact your doctor, if this continues and discuss possible remedies for the vomiting or in a worse case scenario a med switch.

hang in there and best wishes to getting through this nasty side effect quickly!
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline hopeless21

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 09:40:05 pm »
I knew i should of waited 30 minutes b4 i took them. I new to being on meds. Im probably going to take them earlier tomorrow. I notice one of the pill in my vomit. I ate alot today and i was feeling bloated. i tried to deal with the nausea but my body was like this shit coming out now. Im hang in there, hopefully i get better. Im going to eat smaller meals through out the day. Thanks for the advice.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 09:46:45 pm »
I'm on Tru/Nor/Prez and the first 3 days I did nothing but throw up shortly after taking them. My doc put me on Phenergan which was a Godsend. It took away the throwing up and nausea completely. I continued on Phenergan for a few days then she switched me to Reglan which I took for about 5 days, after which I was able to stomach the meds with no problem

I would call your doc and get him to prescribe you something. There's no reason to ahve to deal with throwing up/nausea, especailly if it is affecting your ability to get the meds in your system.

Your doc should ahve an after hours number which is manned by nurses, call them now and they can prescribe you something tonight until you can get a face to face with your doc.

Phenergan. Do it.

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 10:16:25 pm »
I knew i should of waited 30 minutes b4 i took them.
I take the same combo as you - right in the middle of dinner. For many years, by eating half my dinner, taking the norvir gelcap and then "burying" the norvir gelcap under the half my dinner helped to keep me from barfing. recently i switched to the new norvir tablet, and after a few days of diarrhea, now there's no nausea at all from the norvir.

I would call your doc and get him to prescribe you something. There's no reason to have to deal with throwing up/nausea, especially if it is affecting your ability to get the meds in your system.
I tried the Phenergan but those kinds of meds just put me to sleep. Personally, I can lie down and nap without barfing all on my own. LOL Sometimes with these side effects, be they rashes or barfing, there isn't anything to do but hang in there until you system adjusts.

But there's nothing to lose, Hopeless, by using Willy's suggestion and getting in contact with the doctor. See what help they can suggest. And in the worse case, try to hang in there a couple more days.
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline retroMan

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 11:52:00 am »
I knew i should of waited 30 minutes b4 i took them. I new to being on meds. Im probably going to take them earlier tomorrow. I notice one of the pill in my vomit. I ate alot today and i was feeling bloated. i tried to deal with the nausea but my body was like this shit coming out now. Im hang in there, hopefully i get better. Im going to eat smaller meals through out the day. Thanks for the advice.

Yeah, I meant to say in my initial response to you it's a good idea not to gorge yourself.   Smaller quantities of a good meal will allow the meds to absorb as they should, and make it a lot more comfortable too.

Offline hopeless21

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2010, 12:00:04 am »
Today i didnt have a problem with holding down my meds. Im also on batrim and diflucan  since my cd 4 count is at 150. I have thrush that why im taking diflucan. But i wanna know my chance of getting sick since im taking all these pills. I dont know what to expect...i just hope my numbers get better.

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2010, 12:05:49 am »
Today i didnt have a problem with holding down my meds. Im also on batrim and diflucan  since my cd 4 count is at 150. I have thrush that why im taking diflucan. But i wanna know my chance of getting sick since im taking all these pills. I dont know what to expect...i just hope my numbers get better.

I've been under your CD4 count for like 8 months and I was only "sick" for a few months, as soon as I got on HAART within 2 months I was feeling okay and another few months later I'm pretty much up to full strength.  As long as you take the medicine you should get better not worse.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2010, 12:18:30 am »
But i wanna know my chance of getting sick since im taking all these pills. I dont know what to expect...i just hope my numbers get better.
ick. the thrush is awful. :P

Well, your numbers <200 are still is the "bad" zone; but you're on meds and need to be thinking positive thoughts about your tcells going up and the VL coming down. ;) It's pretty scary when you've got the kind of numbers that you have; but the meds are great and a whole lot of people have pulled out from where you are (or even worse) and gotten better. (I was down to 5 tcells, near 1 million vl, with thrush and PCP, and the meds worked for me and here I am 12 yrs later still kicking)

As HR said, it might take some months before you've recouperated and feel "well" again; but keep hanging on, and letting the meds do their thing.  ;)

best wishes to you AND a speedy recovery!
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline hopeless21

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2010, 12:24:19 am »
I've been under your CD4 count for like 8 months and I was only "sick" for a few months, as soon as I got on HAART within 2 months I was feeling okay and another few months later I'm pretty much up to full strength.  As long as you take the medicine you should get better not worse.

I would have never known that my cd4 count was so low. I actually thought i was becoming more healthy over the pass couple of years. Then i found out that i was positive in March shock me. About two weeks later notice some white stuff in my mouth. I was jus gettin over the fact that i was positive up until i had my first appointment in April. My doctor said i needed to go on meds because my t cell were low. That whole two weeks i thought i was going to catch something. I was relieve when my doctor gave me the meds but still worry a little because you never know what will happen.

Offline hopeless21

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2010, 12:29:53 am »
ick. the thrush is awful. :P

As HR said, it might take some months before you've recouperated and feel "well" again; but keep hanging on, and letting the meds do their thing.  ;)

best wishes to you AND a speedy recovery!

I dont feel sick, Im worry about getting sick. I guess Im probably emotional sick. But physical i am ok. I havent had PCP or anything else. I hope my numbers shoot back up

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2010, 12:34:51 am »
I would have never known that my cd4 count was so low. I actually thought i was becoming more healthy over the pass couple of years. Then i found out that i was positive in March shock me. About two weeks later notice some white stuff in my mouth. I was jus gettin over the fact that i was positive up until i had my first appointment in April. My doctor said i needed to go on meds because my t cell were low. That whole two weeks i thought i was going to catch something. I was relieve when my doctor gave me the meds but still worry a little because you never know what will happen.

My count was at 15 when I first found out and as I knew nothing about the virus and anyone who had it I was pretty sure my funeral was right around the corner.  I'm actually getting kinda close to my year anniversary now and my numbers have steadily improved.  More to the point, I've begun to feel like a real human being again.  I'm no longer tired constantly and all the other stuff the falls into our laps when HIV starts clobbering your immune system.  So while I won't say your numbers of 150 are high, realize that there are a lot of us who are below you looking up.  Others have been in your shoes too, the note to take away is that we're still here.  If you're not feeling sick then you're actually doing pretty darn well.  Just take your meds and start trying to get back to your normal life.  Don't worry about all the what ifs, you can be alert for signs of trouble, but don't let life pass you by while you're waiting for something to go wrong.

Offline hopeless21

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2010, 12:48:56 am »
My count was at 15 when I first found out and as I knew nothing about the virus and anyone who had it I was pretty sure my funeral was right around the corner.  I'm actually getting kinda close to my year anniversary now and my numbers have steadily improved.  More to the point, I've begun to feel like a real human being again.  I'm no longer tired constantly and all the other stuff the falls into our laps when HIV starts clobbering your immune system.  So while I won't say your numbers of 150 are high, realize that there are a lot of us who are below you looking up.  Others have been in your shoes too, the note to take away is that we're still here.  If you're not feeling sick then you're actually doing pretty darn well.  Just take your meds and start trying to get back to your normal life.  Don't worry about all the what ifs, you can be alert for signs of trouble, but don't let life pass you by while you're waiting for something to go wrong.

I know i need to stop worrying but for the pass couple of months i think about hiv all day. I havent told any of my family yet. Just only 2 close friends. I havent been focusing on school that much. i know my effort could be alot better. My friend told me life goes on and so should I. In one of my classes it seem like everybody around me was sick. Everybody was coughing and sneezing. And i was like damn i had to come to this class today. I did realize how much i appreciate my life and my friends and family though. Im a fighter and Im going to live my life to the fullest.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.