Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:04:30 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 365
Total: 365

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Unprotected Sex with an HIV positive Man  (Read 8402 times)

Offline newlysexualandstupid

Unprotected Sex with an HIV positive Man
« on: October 29, 2007, 10:18:50 pm »
 :)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 04:45:15 pm by newlysexualandstupid »

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: Unprotected Sex with an HIV positive Man
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 10:28:14 pm »
before I knew what happened he inserted my penis in his anus, without a condom on.  I sort of freaked for a second but it was pleasurable so I stayed for a minute and then had him get off me and I put on condom.  We had anal sex with a condom on me but not to completion.

Stupid,

I've quoted the relevant section of your post.

You had unprotected anal sex with somebody you say is HIV positive so obviously you need to test. The chances of your having been infected from this encounter are actually quite low. HIV is a fussy and fragile virus which is difficult to transmit, moreso from infected bottom to negative top.

Nevertheless "difficult to transmit" is not the same as "impossible to transmit" and you do need to test 12-13 weeks from the date of this exposure. You should also request a full STD screen as well.

As for PEP, well that's a matter for you and your doctor in this case. Personally, I wouldn't. As I mentioned above, the likelihood of you being infected is not great and PEP is only effective in the 72 hour period after the exposure. In fact anything after 24 hours is pretty much an each way bet.

PEP consists of potent anti-virals which will make you feel very ill and will extend the window period. If you elect to undertake PEP, you will have to test 13 weeks from the date that you finish the course of drugs and PEP is usually a 28 day regimen.

Whilst none of us are perfect, I hope that you now understand the importance of practicing safer sex. The simple use of a good latex condom and some water based lube on your part could have seen this whole ghastly affair avoided.

Do keep us updated and best of luck with your testing.

Regards,

MtD

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 10:49:13 pm »
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 04:42:32 pm by newlysexualandstupid »

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 10:55:52 pm »
Yes, I do feel stupid and am really beating myself up right now.  Lesson learned!!

Well Champion if the lesson is learned, then there's no need for you to beat yourself up anymore. We all do silly things from time to time.

Discuss PEP with your doctor, get yourself tested at the appropriate point and remember to rubber up in the future. Think with your big head, not your little one.

Ya dig?

MtD

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 09:17:56 pm »
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 04:43:08 pm by newlysexualandstupid »

PEP Antiviral Short Term Use Side Effects
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2007, 11:29:57 pm »
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 04:43:25 pm by newlysexualandstupid »

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
Re: PEP Antiviral Short Term Use Side Effects
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2007, 11:36:11 pm »
As you are most likely negative, all your posts need to remain in your original thread in the Am I Infected forum.  Thank you.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2007, 11:47:52 pm »
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 04:43:41 pm by newlysexualandstupid »

PEP Antiviral Short Term Use Side Effects
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2007, 11:50:02 pm »
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 04:44:05 pm by newlysexualandstupid »

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2007, 12:18:55 am »
Stupid

Please keep all your additional thoughts, questions and comments in your original thread. This helps us to follow your story and give you the most accurate advice.

If you can't find you original thread click on the red link I've provided above. Alternatively you can click on the "show own posts" link in the left hand column of any forums page.

Your questions will not be answered until you return to your original thread.

MtD

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2007, 12:28:12 am »
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 04:44:19 pm by newlysexualandstupid »

« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 04:44:35 pm by newlysexualandstupid »

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2007, 12:30:49 am »
I was told not to post where I posted the original thread by a member.  See my note before my post.  So I didn't know where to post and not to repost.

No, I told you not to post in the Questions About Treatment and Side Effects Forum, but rather to post in your original thread...just as Matty has now also told you.  For reference:

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=16782.msg212928#new

Likewise, please refrain from sending messages like this one to those of us here who are trying to help you.

Are you a mediator?  Or just a concerned member?  You are very demanding and come across very rude.  You may not mean to, but you do.  I think my questions were posted correctly.  The forum says it is for "people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS", which I am one --- concerned and hopefully not positive.  But just the same, I think I was appropriate.

For the record, I stumbled upon this little PM of yours as I was preparing a carefully drafted and thoughtful response to your original question...once it was properly posted according to the posting guidelines (which you should have carefully read prior to posting). 

Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 12:32:48 am by thunter34 »
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2007, 12:36:32 am »
Thank you for returning to your original thread. By the way, you owe Tim Hunter an apology for the way you spoke to him.

Why did your doctor prescribe you Zidovudine and Trizivir? Trizivir contains Zidovudine already. You might want to ask about that.

In any event you are going to feel ill. The Zidovudine (aka AZT) in your PEP combo is notorious for causing stomach upsets, the runs and headaches. I doubt you'll be able to hack a month of PEP, especially if you're on a double dose of AZT.

MtD

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2007, 12:40:07 am »
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 04:44:54 pm by newlysexualandstupid »

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2007, 12:43:50 am »
Would you please stop posting in this thread? You are only permitted to post in your original thread.

Please take the time to read our Welcome Thread and familiarise yourself with our posting guidelines.

MtD

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2007, 12:44:33 am »
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 04:45:58 pm by newlysexualandstupid »

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2007, 12:47:16 am »
Thank you for returning to your original thread. By the way, you owe Tim Hunter an apology for the way you spoke to him.

Why did your doctor prescribe you Zidovudine and Trizivir? Trizivir contains Zidovudine already. You might want to ask about that.

In any event you are going to feel ill. The Zidovudine (aka AZT) in your PEP combo is notorious for causing stomach upsets, the runs and headaches. I doubt you'll be able to hack a month of PEP, especially if you're on a double dose of AZT.

MtD

For the record, he did.  And my response was (not suprisingly) like Matty's.  I'm wondering why you got zidovudine prescibed also- as it is already in Trizivir.

The rest of my response was:

Hey there!  Thanks.  I've posted a link below about the side effects regarding Trizivir here:

http://www.aidsmeds.com/archive/Trizivir_1583.shtml

This link comes directly from the "Drugs" section of this very site.

Now, as far as side effects are concerned, if you are referring to things like myopathy (muscle damage) and bone marrow problems, I would say that those probably won't present any major concerns for you in the short period of time you will be taking them.

That said, you shouldn't be surprised if you encounter more short-term (though still pretty unpleasant) side effects like nausea and diarrhea.  

AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2007, 12:52:43 am »
I also wrote to update you as you requested in a post above.

Yairs Stupid, I noticed you'd posted in your other thread. Don't do that. You must stay in this thread. A moderator will be along later to merge your threads and yell at you for breaking the rules.

AZT is rough stuff and taking a double dose can be quite toxic. You need to clarify the dosing regimen your doctor is using. I understand that the doses of drugs given for PEP can be different to those given to treated established HIV infection.

Irrespective of this it's extremely unlikely that you'll develop any of the "permanent" side effects of AZT or the other drugs, since you'll only be on them for a month. Nevertheless you'll almost certainly feel ill.

One other thing, Trizivir contains a drug called abacavir. A proportion of people are allergic to abacavir and the reaction in such people can be fatal. If you develop a rash, high fever, have trouble breathing or suddenly feel extremely ill, stop taking the medications at once and seek urgent medical attention.

Anti-HIV drugs are no joke and taking them has to be done properly. As I mentioned earlier I doubt you'll be able to last a month on that combo.

MtD

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2007, 12:56:31 am »
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 04:46:19 pm by newlysexualandstupid »

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2007, 01:03:32 am »
Hi there

I just wanted you to know I have merged your threads, if you have any question in the near future please post them in your original thread, it makes it easier for us to keep track of you...hope you got the answers you were looking for.

For future reference please read the posting guide lines in the Welcome Thread keep Matty's post in mind, he has given you some good advise there regarding your PEP.

Jan
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 01:28:35 am by anniebc »
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.