Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:12:23 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 345
Total: 346

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Working while on SSDI-bad idea  (Read 44393 times)

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
Working while on SSDI-bad idea
« on: November 12, 2013, 03:49:39 am »
I have long been an advocate for people who are on disability and want to work part-time to supplement their income. Well, not any longer.

Back at the end of July, I got a packet in the mail from Social Security, asking all kinds of questions about my job, saying they are doing a "work review."  So, I filled it out, and sent it back.  Then a couple months later (yes 2 months), they sent my employer a wage verification statement, and it turns out I was $24 over SGA last November.  My employer looked back at time sheets, and it turned out I was accidentally paid for a holiday (Veteran's Day), last November, which is what put me over.  So, I got a letter from my employer stating that fact and sent it to SSA.

Well, I just got a letter last week stating I was not due a check last November, so I'm going to have to pay that back.  And, they "may" cut my benefit off.  Now, I have only been working part-time, and had letters from my doctor and employer stating I cannot work full time.  But, when reading what info SSA sent, it stated a person can be cut off from even a part time job if SSA believes they are doing "substantial" work, even if the person does not go over SGA.

What I do is work at an ASO.  I am a case manager.  I have helped clients that want more schooling, or job training, to get into vocational rehabilitation.  Now, I'm debating on telling them all not to plan on working so they can keep their benefits without any issues.

My doctor believes I should stop working and volunteer, if it means I could keep the benefit.  See, my meds run around $50,000 a year since I have other issues besides AIDS.  That would be impossible to meet that expense, especially since I can barely work part time, let alone full time.  Plus cost of labs, doctor visits, my quarterly Cortisone injections for my knees, etc.

I have gotten ill last weekend worrying about this and being so stressed out.  My chest is tight and noisy, and my sinuses are plugged.  I believe it's just a virus, though, and am not too worried about it.  But, this shit with SSA keeps happening (those of you who know me will remember the time they said I owed them a lot of money for months I should not have gotten a check, when it turned out I did not owe them a lot). 

So, I am seriously thinking about quitting my job if it means I can keep my benefit, and volunteering.  This morning, in a few hours, I am going to the SSA office to see if anyone can make sense of this. 

To those I've told to go ahead and go back to work- I deeply apologize.  I guess SSA does not want people to supplement their income when they're on disability.  This is the trap a lot of us long term survivors fall into-being too ill to work full time, could work part time, but are stuck in the system because the system does not want us to get a head at all.  To those I've told they can work when they say they cannot-I apologize. 

This has been a real eye-opening experience.  I will never again encourage anyone on disability to go back to work, unless they are sure they can handle full time work and can find a good job that will earn them a living wage and has good insurance. 

Just wanted to put this out there-if you've read the whole thing, you're doing better than I could lol.  Will keep those of you aware of this, updated on what happens. 
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline hope_for_a_cure

Re: Working while on SSDI-bad idea
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 05:08:34 am »
I still get those pre-recorded messages (by phone) from the Ticket to Work program. 

Offline mitch777

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 01:00:43 pm »
Betty,

Was a suckfest. :( Our government at it's best. Ugh!

Best of luck to you getting them to see reason.

I really hate to see people treated this way especially someone like you who deserves so much more.

Hugs,
m.
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline darryaz

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 01:17:17 pm »
Thanks for the warning.  The holidays are always the busiest time for free-lance musicians.  So I will think carefully before I accept any gigs for the next couple of months!!!!

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 01:47:22 pm »
Going down to the SSA office today was an WTF moment.  In the last letter I received, they gave me a contact name and said she was at my local office, which would be South Bend, IN.  So, I get there 1/2 an hour early, stand in line, then find out the woman is not there, she is in Baltimore lol.  The man I talked to went and talked to one of their caseworkers, who said they will most likely suspend a month's pay.  Which would be disastrous as far as paying things like, oh, rent, insurance (car, Part D, Medicaid for working disabled, renter's), etc.   

So when I got home I called the number for my contact person. She didn't answer the first time so I called back again right away and she answered.  When I was done talking to her I felt like I was going to have a heart attack.  She was asking about 2011 income, when I attempted to work full time and went off disability for several months.  Well, they have that income, as they get yearly income from the IRS.  She kept asking me "do you dispute the income we have for you from 2011?" (which was the year she kept asking about).  I kept arguing with her about me working full time and going off SSDI for several months and only going back on when I had to return to part time work. 

She said my benefits should have been suspended last November when I went over the $24.  I asked her about the "averaging," they can do, where they take the whole year's income into account and average it over 12 months.  She said they did.  I told her they couldn't have, or it wouldn't have been over. 

After arguing with her for several minutes (about 25), she finally asked if my job gave me any subsidies.  I asked her exactly what she meant, and she said some things like a job coach, extra breaks, extra time off etc.   I told her they did, which is basically true since I had to start work part time again.  She said she is going to send them some papers to fill out asking about subsidies and she will see what they send back.  She said the benefits "may" depend on this, but they still should have been suspended last November. 

This has been such a cluster fuck.  It all started in July, and now it's November and still isn't over.  I was considering quitting, and will if that's the only way I can keep the benefits.  But, when I told the lady I had a letter from my doctor about not being able to work, she said it wouldn't make a difference.

She said my job should get the letter by next week and should fill it out and send it back asap.  So, we will see......  When I got off the phone, I had to lay down because I was having a difficult time breathing regularly, with pains in my chest.  I knew it wasn't a heart attack, but rather stress because of this continuing saga with SSA, who doesn't seem to know what they're doing.

I will keep anyone who is interested updated.  While it does help to supplement income with a part-time job, the total nightmare of work reviews is barely worth it. 

Thanks, Mitch, for the kind words.  They're appreciated.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 02:03:04 pm »
This thread has been my lunch-time reading. I'm stunned. Yes keep us abreast. I cannot believe this!  Is there someone at a higher level in SSA with whom you may speak AND will someone in accounting from your ASO help in your defense beyond the letter ?  And one of my other reactions is got any lawyer friends? There is no reason you shouldn't be compensated fairly for something you do well and be left alone to do it. I am simply slack-jawed. 

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 02:29:24 pm »
No Em, I don't have any lawyer friends lol. 

I believe the lady I talked to on the phone is among the people who decide on continuing disability benefits.  So, we'll see.  Of course, if it is not favorable, I can appeal it.  But I will lose the check benefit, you can't keep that while appealing a decision like this (that's what I've been told).

I did send SSA a letter stating the reason I went over $24 was because of a holiday, not actual work, and re-iterated that to the lady today, but she said that doesn't matter.

Don't worry, I will keep everyone in the loop.

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, 05:14:48 pm »
So the upshot seems to be if you (not your employer's accounting department) don't monitor every incoming penny ( despite the averaging you noted is viable and used --selectively perhaps? ) then if a singled out month is found to be over you cannot have that amount deducted from a future check AND you must forfeit the month of the offense and be exposed to threats of being dropped entirely.

So then your cortisol levels are jacked and your already overworked immune system taxed and people in need ultimately lose your talent and inspiration which is more curative than many medicines. There's gotta be someone involved with this forum or friend of a friend with lawyerly wits who can find out WTF is right and wrong about this.

My tax dollars are involved and so are everyone else's!!

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2013, 06:52:08 pm »
Whats happened to Betty makes me so mad I cant adequately express it . Although her case is not the only one its a prime example about all that is wrong with healthcare in America . She is not just an example she is also a dear friend .

HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline mitch777

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2013, 06:57:19 pm »
Wow. What a stupid system! >:(

I am concerned about your health with all of this stress. I have no sage advice. :(
You have my support any time you need it you know.

(((hugs)))
m.

Offline intaglio

• Doesn't have to pay for vowels
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2013, 10:47:10 pm »
But I will lose the check benefit, you can't keep that while appealing a decision like this (that's what I've been told).
I'm sorry to hear you're being put through the bureaucratic wringer on this.

I've been told differently. I've been told that, any time the SSA decides to cut your benefits -and you appeal that decision, your benefits continue. The caveat is that if the SSA ultimately decides against you, you are on the hook for all those additional benefits, too.

I used to have some printed FAQ's about this from when I last checked into SSA's Ticket to Work program. There should be verbiage on SSA's website in the Appealing our Decision areas. I'm sorry to send you on your own chase, but I can't easily find a link at the moment.

I have had to quote SSA's own verbiage to it before. It's sad when you know more about a program than those who support it.

My tax dollars are involved and so are everyone else's!!

Yes, your tax dollars support the SSA. But BT65's benefits spring from BT65's own contributions to SSA. She paid into this program when she was able-bodied and working full-time, as does every other employed US citizen. This is not welfare, but an insurance program.
Reality is frequently inaccurate.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2013, 11:01:20 pm »
I think Em was expressing how the folks at SS work for us and are paid by us with our tax dollars and her statement was in support of Betty .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2013, 04:55:39 am »
Yes, thanks for coming to my defense, Intaglio, but Em was just being supportive, as she always has been.  But I appreciate your words.

Jeff has been a huge support through this and I'm so grateful for him. 

I believe SSA may be pissed off since I've used the White House in the past, to deal with them on various issues.  One of my sisters said it's like they're being vindictive.  It sure seems like it.

Anyway, we'll see what happens next week when my employer gets the paper to fill out from SSA.  I'm going to have to talk to my two bosses today to see if they are even willing to fill it out.  Hopefully they will.  Of course even if they do, it's not guaranteed I will be able to keep the benefit.  We'll see.....

Offline wolfter

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2013, 03:23:31 pm »
I was checking back in to see how it was going and my previous post is completely missing!  Anyways, hoping you the absolute best in this entire ridiculousness. 

The SSA does not support those who wish to contribute by working in any manner.  I've been a victim of the process and doubt I'll ever return to work permanently. 

Take care and best wishes.

Greg
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline britchick

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2013, 04:20:15 pm »
BT65,
Im so sorry this has happenned to you.It makes me feel really angry.What does the govt want? We are penalised no matter what we do.If we try to work its wrong and if we dont try we are victimised.

I sent an email to our PM David Cameron last yr re this and actually got a reply.I will do it again too if I have to.

Im worried about you and your health.I hope you get the help re paperwork from your boss.Im thinking about you......the fact that you will still keep helping others speaks volumes about you.

britchickx

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2013, 05:13:26 pm »
Betty, dammit I'm sorry this is happening to you. Grrr. I dont have any advice on the subject but just wanted to say "hang in there" and I'm thinking about you.

-Will

Ps- Try practicing your relaxation breathing whenever you have to call SSA.
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2013, 08:28:25 pm »
I think Em was expressing how the folks at SS work for us and are paid by us with our tax dollars and her statement was in support of Betty .

Yes, Jeff. That is precisely what I meant.  I can see how Intaglio read it another way.

Offline intaglio

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2013, 08:42:13 pm »
My apologies to you Em, for taking your words incorrectly.

I hang around another site whose users quite often equate SSDI with welfare in a negative manner. It was a knee-jerk reaction. I'm sorry.

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2013, 06:08:39 am »
Thank you--no need to apologize--I understand completely.

Offline intaglio

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2013, 10:12:06 am »
I found this link.

What are some examples of IRWEs that can be deducted?

If you work, we may deduct your out–of–pocket expenses for items such as medicine, medical supplies, medical devices, service animals, and disposable items such as bandages and syringes when figuring the amount of your earned income.

We may also be able to deduct your out–of–pocket expenses for medical services such as doctors visits and some attendant care services charged for preparing you for work, attending to you while you are at work, or getting you to and from work. We may also deduct certain out–of–pocket expenses for transportation and modifications to your home, car, or van to allow you to work.

The expense must not be reimbursed, and must be related to your disability(ies) and needed in order for you to work.

So, for November 2012, your SGA limit was $1,000. But your earnings can be reduced by your out-of-pocket net-impairment work expenses. Your drugs cost you approximately $4,166/mo. So you could earn in November 2012, $5,166 and not go over SGA for that month.

SSA is quibbling over $24. Hopefully you can review your monthly out-of-pocket expenses and find $24 you spent last November that will make all this go away.

Here is a pdf off North Carolina's state website that goes into more detail about allowable out-of-pocket expenses.

I hope this helps.

Offline Schnauzer

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2013, 11:40:47 am »
I found this link.

So, for November 2012, your SGA limit was $1,000. But your earnings can be reduced by your out-of-pocket net-impairment work expenses. Your drugs cost you approximately $4,166/mo. So you could earn in November 2012, $5,166 and not go over SGA for that month.

SSA is quibbling over $24. Hopefully you can review your monthly out-of-pocket expenses and find $24 you spent last November that will make all this go away.

Here is a pdf off North Carolina's state website that goes into more detail about allowable out-of-pocket expenses.

I hope this helps.

Yes, your tax dollars support the SSA. But BT65's benefits spring from BT65's own contributions to SSA. She paid into this program when she was able-bodied and working full-time, as does every other employed US citizen. This is not welfare, but an insurance program.

Hey Intaglio,

Thanks for the informative and intelligent posts.  I appreciate them greatly.
One good turn gets most of the blankets.

Offline JR Gabbard

• Union Jacks
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2013, 12:23:58 pm »
Hi BT!  Sorry you're going through this.
Bad news first.  Even though the extra $24 didn't come from hours you spent working, it still counts as earned income because it came from your employment.  That will include any other cash benefit you've received or will receive, which might be what SSA's new inquiry is about.  You can deduct your own out-of-pocket disability related work expenses.  You can't deduct the cost of your medications, though, except possibly to the extent you pay for them yourself.  That deduction is related more to Medicaid and SSI eligibility and share of cost determinations.  End bad news!
If SSA does try to stop your benefits (doubtful, but I don't know everything), you can keep them going by filing an immediate appeal and not abandoning it (file all requested documents, meet all deadlines, keep appealing denials, or better yet get a rep to do it for you!).
The bit you found about SGA when you work less than 20 hours per week applies to people who have a substantial involvement in a business, and mostly just applies to owner/managers.  I've never seen it applied to part-time labor.
Have you thought about cutting your hours back (as opposed to quitting altogether)?  That might solve a few problems, or at least create fewer new ones.
Best of luck!!
It goes like this
The fourth, the fifth,
The minor fall, the major lift,
The baffled king composing Hallelujah!

L. Cohen

Offline 2tcells

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2013, 12:47:34 pm »
Other things to remember on ssi, if u ever have over 2000 in resorces on the 1st of the month you dont get paid for that month, this includes how much cash they say you have. When they ask you how much cash you have that 1 day you talk to them and u say 200 bucks they assume you have 200 bucks everyday of the year. They also deposit my money 2 days early before the 1st of the month to screw me most times. If u owe them backpay they will take it out like 100 bucks a month until you pay them back. Dont every call them or go there because they will try to find more reasons to get you off ssi. If you have anything worth more than 2000 dollers I.e. a tv, jewlery anything except 1 car and 1 house you live in that counts as reasorces and you wont get paid as long as they know you have it. I could go on for days they have done it all to me before. If ur going to get any money from them they want you to be poor and hungry the rest of your life.
7-4-13 diagnosed   cd4- 2      vl-220,600
8-3-13                     cd4- 4      vl- 448
9-3-13                     cd4- 40    vl- ud
11-3-13                   cd4- 54    vl-ud
1-9-14                     cd4- 62    vl- 43
4-3-14                     cd4- 110  vl-ud
8-5-14                     cd4- 95    vl-ud
9-23-14                   cd4- 97    vl-ud
1-22-15                   cd4- 156  vl-ud
4-14-15                   cd4- 122  vl-ud
6-12-15                   cd4- 148  vl-?
8-15-15 start stribild
9-3-15                     cd4- 152 vl-ud
11-25-15                  cd4- 211 vl-20
2-17-16                   cd-4 194 vl-ud
4-1-16 start genvoya
5-10-16                   cd-4 220 vl-ud
9-19-16                   cd-4 182 vl-ud
12-2016                  cd-4  267!vl-ud
2018 cd4 187 switching meds

Offline wolfter

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2013, 12:54:41 pm »
2tcells, I believe Betty receives SSD so the assets provision doesn't apply.  SSI is a needs based benefit for those who didn't pay enough in to receive SSD. 

Offline 2tcells

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2013, 12:59:38 pm »
Thats good she dosnt have to worry about all that stuff then, but I still think soc sec department is trying to kick anyone off they can
7-4-13 diagnosed   cd4- 2      vl-220,600
8-3-13                     cd4- 4      vl- 448
9-3-13                     cd4- 40    vl- ud
11-3-13                   cd4- 54    vl-ud
1-9-14                     cd4- 62    vl- 43
4-3-14                     cd4- 110  vl-ud
8-5-14                     cd4- 95    vl-ud
9-23-14                   cd4- 97    vl-ud
1-22-15                   cd4- 156  vl-ud
4-14-15                   cd4- 122  vl-ud
6-12-15                   cd4- 148  vl-?
8-15-15 start stribild
9-3-15                     cd4- 152 vl-ud
11-25-15                  cd4- 211 vl-20
2-17-16                   cd-4 194 vl-ud
4-1-16 start genvoya
5-10-16                   cd-4 220 vl-ud
9-19-16                   cd-4 182 vl-ud
12-2016                  cd-4  267!vl-ud
2018 cd4 187 switching meds

Offline Snowangel

« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2013, 04:27:40 pm »
BT- Geez!  What a mess! I appreciate the heads up. If it makes you feel any better I am in the same boat right now, as far as social security messing with me. I would not be suprised if they are trying to get back at you. I recently spoke to a lawyer that volunteers at our local ASO and he was having that feeling with what happened with another client and then what I was telling him of my situation kind of confirmed it for him.  I have been trying to figure out what I can do to earn enough money to support myself and my children. I guess getting a job is out of the picture.

I recently started renting my grandmothers house for 2 reasons. 1. I had tried homeschooling my little ones and was having trouble getting the right services OT, S & L for them, the local district was no help. My oldest was still in public school and they were in non-compliance with his IEP. I had to file charges with the DESE which is a joke. 2. Their father was not helpful, let just leave it at that.

Last year I applied for social security for the little ones and they each got it on the first try. I am on SSDI and all my kids get a small amount through that. The kids father is still staying in the house that is in my name.  In August, I let social security know I would be moving in Sept. In Sept. I got a call from social security for a review and she let me know the kids would no longer be eligible because the house I no longer live in is considered an asset?  Fine, I get that, I don't understand how they can take benefits away immediately but whatever. Then a few weeks later I get overage letters for each kid for the month of Sept? WTF?

Have you filled out the SSA-632- BK form yet?  You can go to the social security website and print it off, it is 8 pages long. I have to fill it out 3 times and haven't tackled it yet. 

I am kind of confused by the whole situation-yours and mine- because it does not make any sense to me. How can they take away a whole months worth of benefits for an overage of $24?  I just moved on Aug 26, do they really think I can sell a house in 5 days?

I guess I should consider myself lucky that they did not go after me 2 years ago when I worked at my kids school part time? In my case, I think everything happens for a reason, if I did not have that job I would not of known of the bullshit going on in school these days or found out that my kids had disabilities that they do.  Luckily, I worked a lot before getting sick and get a pretty good benefit but not near enough for 5 people. I am at a loss for what to do? I can't take my kids out of school, they are finally progressing and starting to feel good about themselves. Our old district is a hot mess, they can't handle the children with behavior issues(our city is actually the worse in the state) never mind the children with learning disabilities. Right now I should be concentrating on them and writing 4 IEP's but instead I am trying to figure out how to survive. My stress level was off the charts before I moved and this is only making it worse. I tried to get a modification on my other house but I don't qualify because I have not missed a payment and she told me I have to cut my expenses, like food? I have nothing left to cut at this point. I guess we are dammed if we do and dammed, if we don't.

I wonder if the regulations are different for each state, it seems like if you make less than $1000 bucks, you should still be allowed to work, get benefits and file an appeal for the $24 thing.  I am sorry you are going through this, it royally sucks!

Thank you for the info and keep us posted!

Of all the things you wear, your expression is the most important

The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..

One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

One thing you can't recycle is wasted time.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2013, 05:56:57 am »
First, SGA for last year was $1010.  Second, I am familiar with IRWE's.  Unfortunately, since my insurance covers everything, I don't have any, other than maybe mileage and what I pay for the Medicaid for working disabled, yes I do pay a premium for that.  Also, according to SSA, anything paid out of pocket for meds does count as an IRWE.

Also 2cells, Wolfie is correct, I receive SSDI, not SSI. 

I'm waiting on my employer to get the information from SSA regarding any accommodations I get for the job.  The lady at SSA told me to tell my employer to expect it early next week but knowing SSA, it probably won't get here for another 2-3 weeks lol.  So, everything on hold until then.  I will keep everyone updated on this ongoing debacle.

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2013, 12:20:05 pm »
Betty dear heart I am hampered by lack off knowledge about your systemBut I am having similar problems as the UK is scrapping the benefits I was awarded for life .

So all disabled people in the UK are filling out the forms ,making the appeals, There has been some court cases that have help.The gov has this mono mantra that its about helping us to find work .Pure bullshit.

Anyway I have received very effective support from a local council politician,  the general efficiency improved no end , I fully intend to engage my member off Parliament ---M.P. if things get sticky. So finally my point is there an equivalent route for you ? Will any politician intervene over this ridicules overreaction to 24 dolls

What I am also confussed by is what responsibility does your employer have in "over paying " you ?

I apologize in advance if it,s a no starter.

Hugs
m
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2013, 04:52:27 pm »
Thanks, Michael.  Of course I have contacted people in government and apparently there's only so much they can do.  I believe SSA may be pissed off at me for getting the White House on them before, so may be trying to fuck with me any way they can.

JR, you keep saying something about getting a rep-what is this?  A lawyer?  I'd never heard of one, and talked with a case manager who assists people on disability going back to work, and she'd never heard of one either. 

Also, in order to be considered part-time at my employer, one has to work at least 20 hours.  So, I cannot reduce my hours.  I can take a reduction in pay, that would avoid overpayment in the future and that may be what I do.   

Right now I'm waiting on my employer to get the paperwork from SSA about "subsidies," which the lady said they should be expecting this upcoming week.  Of course, knowing SSA, that could mean two weeks.  But I do expect to hear something definite from SSA before the end of the month, or at least before Christmas.  This is just not the time of the year to be dealing with financial shit.

Offline JR Gabbard

• Union Jacks
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2013, 05:44:07 pm »
"Rep" is short-hand for representative or in SSA terms "Authorized Representative."  It is anyone, attorney or non-attorney, whom you designate to work with SSA on your behalf.  You can have a "rep" any time you have to deal with SSA, including initial applications, appeals, disability reviews, and any time they are trying to determine whether your income exceeds SGA to reduce your benefit or kick you off.
I PM'd you back  :)
It goes like this
The fourth, the fifth,
The minor fall, the major lift,
The baffled king composing Hallelujah!

L. Cohen

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2013, 12:58:59 am »
My takeaway from threads like this one and the one by Alan in LTS makes me think that it's almost never a good idea to do anything "over the table" once designated disabled, or else the whole house of cards can come down at any time. It seems hardly "transitional" to have a shitstorm of epic proportions, including losing housing, access to treatment, and a guaranteed (albeit poverty level) income hover over your head all the time - especially if you have been out of the workforce for a decade or more, as many of us have.

It was bad enough when we were all limping along with first gen meds. Now? We might get to spend 40 years in these prisons. There needs to be a better way.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline wolfter

« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2013, 11:33:32 am »
I am torn over this.  It seems like we have a moral obligation to work as much as possible, yet the system makes it difficult to do so.  My goal was always to return to work whenever I was on disability.  Each time I was on it, it was short term and I anxiously awaited for the day I could continue working.

Perhaps my age dictates that I don't have the strength to fight this system the way it plays out now.  I'd be lost without this buffer and the idea of figuring out what I'd have to earn to cover the benefits that I receive now is astonishing when you figure in medical coverage, work related expenses, loss of benefits...etc

Wolfie

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2013, 04:34:33 pm »
I feel the same way, Greg, about needing to work as long as possible.  However, as JK says, the whole cloud of disability can go up in smoke. 

SSA told me they are going to send something to my employer, about any accommodations I get.  They (employer) was supposed to get it the first of the week and have not gotten it.  :P   So, I"m just waiting....everything's in limbo.

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2013, 03:07:40 pm »
I am very upset that this has happened to you, honey.   What a nightmare.   I have been 'reviewed' several times by Soc Sec.   I also receive SSDI, and work part-time.  I have ALWAYS been above board, and reported everything to them.   However, it is never enough, and they always seek more "information".   The funny thing is, since I went on SSDI in 1995 (my God, has it been that long ago?)  they have never asked me ONE single thing about my health.   Only about the little amounts of money I have earned.

I'm afraid I would have to join you in advising others on SSDI to not have any 'reportable' income.   I have always felt (and my doctor agreed wholeheartedly) that we needed SOMETHING worthwhile to do, to make us feel like human beings who are productive, and have something to get up in the morning for.   I have worked, part time, since 1998.   In 2000, I 'gave up' Social Security and decided to attempt to return to work full-time.   I held out for 10 months (and I was in much better shape, physically, then) before I decided I couldn't handle the stress of it any longer.   Thankfully, I had no problem re-starting my SSDI.  In fact, the SSA was extremely helpful to me, allowing me to collect 3 months of benefits, even after I had started working full time!   I thought they were more than fair.   Of course, times have changed a LOT since then.   The problem is, in so many professions (I'm an accountant) there is no such thing as a 40 hr week anymore.   There are always deadlines, monthly closings, quarterly closings, annual closings....40 hrs quickly turned into 60 hrs.   I hated to admit it, but NO, I could not keep up that pace -- mentally or physically.

My best friend of 36 years became ill last fall; he was diagnosed with colo-rectal cancer.   Of course, he was no longer able to work the job he had worked, in retail.  He lost down to 112 lbs (at 6'2"), went through chemo and radiation, had a colostomy, and was in and out of the hospital this entire year.   Yet when he attempted to apply for SSI, he was DENIED.   The reason given was that his illness wasn't expected to last for 1 year.   Well, he  still needs more chemo, only weighs about 120, and has absolutely no energy at all.   There is no way on God's green earth that he could work.   Still, he is refused.  He has had ZERO income since Nov 2012.  He applied for food stamps, and was granted them, but STILL could not get SSI.   The Social Security Administration doesn't WANT anyone to qualify for SSI or SSDI, therefore many do not (especially those who are not strong enough to fight).

So I join Betty in suggesting that if you are on any type of Social Security (and maybe even private disability policies, which I have heard others speak of) it is not a good idea to tell them you are able to work AT ALL.  If you can get paid 'under the table', that's great...but if not, think about volunteering.   The threat of having your livelihood snatched away, for a small amount of money (in Betty's case less than $25) is simply not worth it.   My friend Joe who lives in Atlanta has gone through a similar ordeal over the past couple of years; them threatening to force him to PAY BACK an entire year of benefits, because he went over one month.   It is pure bureaucratic INSANITY.   

Betty, you're in my prayers honey.

Much love, Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2013, 04:07:26 pm »
Yeah I know what you mean Betty & Alan, just this past yr. I was offered a job @ Metro Detention Center of New Mexico (transporting prisoners to doctors visits in a Govt. Van)

so, I turned it down (due to the fact that it was the same rate of pay as my entire monthly income)

also, not only would I loose my SSDI, but my other pension as well, ( it wouldn't have taken me long to have a large SSDI-over-payment)

it kinda sucks, that for such a very low amount of overage, SSDI does things types of things to good people

and I do understand that SSDI is suppose to be about disability ( meaning you cannot do work what you did before you become sick)

however it still doesn't make it right, our Govt. is all mess-up, and i hope that they can fix some of these out-dated rules, your kinda dammed if you do, and poor as hell if you don't  :(

oh, and  that other thing you said, 40 hrs turns into 48, then into 60hrs or more, I just wasn't ready to do that again, with all of the joint inflammation that I currently have :-[

good to hear from ya Alan  ;)

HUGS

DEN
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2013, 03:12:46 am »
Thanks, Alan.  I attempted to work full time in 2011, and went off disability, but when I could not handle it after several months, I had no trouble getting back on.  But now, I'm having a hard time just trying to keep the benefit.  I have a letter from my medical doctor saying I should not be working at all. 

It's so stressful it's hard to relax over the holidays.  Knowing that the majority of your income could be gone, plus healthcare, and we all know how expensive a long-term survivor's healthcare is, is hell. 

I'm going to try to have a good Thanksgiving, and not contact SSA for a while.  We'll see.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2013, 06:07:51 am »
They somehow manage to make living with a disability more hellish than it already is .

Betty , I wish the world knew your whole story about how far you have come in the last 10 years . Your story makes the difficulty's you are having even more disheartening and hard to accept .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2013, 07:06:52 pm »
They somehow manage to make living with a disability more hellish than it already is .

Betty , I wish the world knew your whole story about how far you have come in the last 10 years . Your story makes the difficulty's you are having even more disheartening and hard to accept .

Thanks babe.  I just don't trust them, nor will I ever.  I was advised that from now on, I should take copies of my paystubs to my local office.  Once this is over, if it ever will be over.

I appreciate your words, though, they mean a lot. :-*

Offline Habersham

« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2013, 08:21:15 am »
I know this won't be a popular opinion but here goes. If you receive any kind of "assistance" (and I get most) write down the limits for all and do not go over them. Keep good records and leave yourself room for error. If your limit for something is $400 a month don't have more than $250 in earnings. Do not try and have $399. I know this is harsh but we have to work within the rules.

I'm not saying the parameters are the best. I hate this phrase but it is what it is.

Because I Can

Offline darryaz

« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2013, 08:43:11 am »
Here's a question.....

I've taken a couple of out-of-town jobs recently that reimbursed mileage. 

Does mileage reimbursement count toward your total income allowed for the month?  (on one job my mileage reimbursement was actually more than my pay for the job).

Offline Habersham

« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2013, 09:11:23 am »
The simple answer is no.

However, your payroll/accounting department needs to be doing their job right. Reimbursements need to be listed separately from earnings. These amounts are not subject to payroll taxes and thus are not reported as earnings. They should not appear on your W-2 or 1099 form.

Because I Can

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2013, 09:48:58 am »
earnings = income gained from work. The issue as far as I know is ability to work, not assets for SSDI, meaning you can receive monetary gifts from family members and this not effect anything. Of course family members are limited to $10,000/year without their paying any taxes on this.

ps: people on SSDI also need to pay attention to whether or not the state they reside in considers benefits taxable or not
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 09:51:03 am by Miss Philicia »
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2013, 04:12:06 am »
Darry, Habersham is correct on the mileage issue-I get mileage for my job, and it is not taxable, therefore not reportable. 

Offline darryaz

« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2013, 09:01:26 am »
Thanks for the confirmation Habersham, Miss P and Betty!!!!!  :D

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2013, 06:30:07 pm »
http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/employment_adherence_1667_24937.shtml

From POZ

The benefits of work related to adherence.

Offline darryaz

« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2013, 08:09:03 pm »
http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/employment_adherence_1667_24937.shtml

From POZ

The benefits of work related to adherence.

This totally makes sense to me.  When I've got lots of things going on (whether it's work, volunteer work or family responsibilities) I'm far more motivated.

Reminds me of this quote from Lucy:

"If you want something done, ask a busy person to do it. The more things you do, the more you can do."
-Lucille Ball

Offline drewm

« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2013, 08:24:55 pm »
Thank you LTS'rs for these posts! Your advice is duly noted and MUCH appreciated.
Diagnosed in  May of 2010 with teh AIDS.

PCP Pneumonia . CD4 8 . VL 500,000

TRIUMEQ - VALTREX -  FLUOXETINE - FENOFIBRATE - PRAVASTATIN - CIALIS

Numbers consistent since 12/2010 - VL has remained undetectable and CD4 is anywhere from 275-325

Offline Schnauzer

« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2014, 07:42:46 pm »
Hello Betty,

Was there ever any resolution on this SSDI issue?  You haven't posted on this topic since mid-Dec.  I hope it's been cleared up to your satisfaction.
One good turn gets most of the blankets.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2014, 03:54:02 pm »
Hello Betty,

Was there ever any resolution on this SSDI issue?  You haven't posted on this topic since mid-Dec.  I hope it's been cleared up to your satisfaction.

No, it's not done yet.  They're trying to get me off anyway they can.  It's extremely stressful.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2014, 05:51:34 pm »
No, it's not done yet.  They're trying to get me off anyway they can.  It's extremely stressful.

Grrr... :(

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.