Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:56:21 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 361
Total: 361

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Vista beta 2 - anyone???  (Read 5052 times)

Offline randym431

Vista beta 2 - anyone???
« on: June 10, 2006, 04:56:23 am »
Being the tech nerd I am, I just wanted to let anyone interested know that the MS windows new os, VISTA - Beta #2 is now available over at microsoft.com for free to the public. From what I read, its activation is good thru August of 2007. Then, I guess you'll have to either go back to your old os, or buy vista... not sure.

Its a free download, and an .iso file (so you need to burn it to a CD-r using some sorta cd burner program that burns .iso files to CD-r) then use that CD to install.
You can also order the CD from MS for $6 shipping (I think).
When you download it, you are given an unlock or activation "key" code that you need to write down and remember (or print out the code display page).
The MS servers are heavily busy so it can be hard to get thru. They recommend using some kind of "download manager" software that resumes where it left off if you get disconnected. The .iso file is some 3.2MB.

If any of my info is wrong, please correct me, for most of this info is from other forums and MS.
And the problems most are reporting are the normal "drivers not available" for the vista os, even though most drivers should be built into vista for the latest hardware. No doubt most will have some hardware thing that has no vista drivers as of yet.

I have a spare pc I plan to install this on this weekend, and I wouldnt recommend risking your home pc with a vista install, unless all your stuff is backed up first somehow, somewhere.
Sound like fun?   :o

« Last Edit: June 10, 2006, 04:59:40 am by randym431 »
Diag Sept 2005 VL 1mill, CD4 85, 3%, weight 143# (195# was normal)
Feb 2021, undetectable, weight 215#

Offline Cliff

Re: Vista beta 2 - anyone???
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2006, 07:22:41 am »
After having problems using the Internet Explorer Beta....I think I'll pass on the Vista Beta.  I'm still trying to see what's the big deal.  All the big changes they were going to do have now been removed in order to get the thing out faster.  That sucks!

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2006, 08:21:22 am »
Randy,

I still got windows ME. I was thinking one time at doing the upgrade to XP, but this computer is just too old, and not fast enough.(isn't worth it)  Will ,most likely just get a new computer.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline trai

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2006, 08:30:24 am »
hehe not to point out a few things...however you will have to burn it to a DVD to create an install disk....and the download is 3.2 gigs...not 3.2 megs.  Can we say broadband connection.  Yes there are several ways to install it without a DVD player....but I am not going to try and explain some advance techniques.

REMEMBER THIS IS A BETA PRODUCT SO USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

When I beta tested Win XP it was stable and I used it at my main computer....for Vista I have had it on a secondary computer for about a year and half now...however...I am moving towards putting it on my main computers...

Once you register if you have to or if you do not have to register...either way ....they will send you 2 emails and one will also have the activation key at the bottom of it.  The key is good for up to 10 different computers to install it on.

Also the system requirements are correct....don't expect it to install unless you have at least 512 megs of ram.  Do not expect to be able to use the core of the new system...unless your computer really has 1 or more gigs of ram....you must have a true directx 9 video card with pixal shader 2.0 to use Vista Aero.   Vista really needs a beefy computer to shine....if you have one it is a great OS...
« Last Edit: June 10, 2006, 08:35:49 am by trai »
12/2003  Tested Neg
02/2003  Tested Neg
08/04/2004   Tested Poz
08/05/2004   514     51536       
08/23/2004   516       81600    
01/07/2005   449       27500    
07/01/2005   308       35600    
07/21/2005   527       8140    
09/15/2005   512       3950    
12/02/2005   434       0    
03/15/2006   309       0 
10/   /2006    356      0  
01/08/2007   311       7899    
05/10/2007   345       9133    KS Diagnosis Started Meds for First time.
07/05/2007   692       793
10/   /2007    626       0
01    /2008    ???        0
07/08/2008   6something  0
08/   /2008  Stopped meds

06/2010   ???      0

Offline randym431

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2006, 09:27:21 pm »
Thanks Trai for the corrections. Thats what I get for posting at 4am. Yes, its a DVD burner you need and DVD media. Also sounds like 1 gig of system mem is ok but 2 gig is best. Seems every time MS comes out with a new os, it requires a major system upgrade too. I wonder when vista will become standard on new pc's sold? That would mean a pretty beefy pc in itself. You wouldnt think maybe vista will just never catch on???
I still understand this vista beta is pretty much the final vista. And the free activation key means your copy is good thru 08-2007.

ps.. (Nice picture!!!)   ;)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2006, 09:30:48 pm by randym431 »

Offline cubbybear

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2006, 06:35:02 am »
Hey Randy, downloading it now ;) Thank god for broadband!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2006, 08:48:11 am »

Never again will I download any BETA program. I've discovered that BETA means it has bugs galore and will probably screw something or other up on your computer. BETA might be ok for people who know how to tweak and adjust these things, but for me? NEVER AGAIN! I had some BETA spyware that has really been messing with my head. Shit, I get confused enough on my own without BETA somethingorother screwing with me too!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline randym431

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2006, 05:36:45 am »
Just an update. Vista is sure different. Things and settings we were use to, are well hidden. Some I still haven’t found where some are. I'm not sure why they did this?
I installed vista on a spare pent 4 pc with only 256k mem, only a 20gb drive and it already had win2k installed.

Well, 256k is painfully slow for vista. Like start something, and have dinner, and maybe it will have come up by then.
And finding drivers for network cards and video may be a real task. I used drivers for win2k, installed from the orig driver CD or floppy, and vista complained, but installed them. Vista will give you error msgs like "cant install - version not supported", but then give you "install anyway" option, which did end up installing the drivers and they worked.

Vista supports dual booting. I installed it to the same drive and partition as win2k.
That is a no no. But I did it anyway.
Which OS system to boot is asked at bootup, and vista loaded fine. But going back to win2k boot did load win2k but nothing would run.
So you do need to install to a diff drive or diff partition for dual boot. I just wanted to see what would happen.

Well, vista does look cool. And with 1 meg of system memory it might even run smoothly. So I guess I'll have to try it on my
main system, but certainly in a diff partition from winxp.

Both win2k and vista fit on a 20 gb drive. I didn’t think it would.

ps. I agree with ANN. I would try this unless your prepared and have everything backed up that you can not afford to lose.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 05:41:34 am by randym431 »

Offline cubbybear

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2006, 08:10:37 am »
Hey Randy.

I installed Vista on my beefy AMD dual core system with 2GB Ram.  It ran well and was very cool looking, but many of the programs I use on a daily basis are not yet compatible with Vista and I found it hard to live without them for the sake of a sexy OS.  I think Vista will be great, but I will be waiting until it goes retail and most common programs are supported with a vista version.

I can't live without itunes ;) and Vista beta 2 doesn't like itunes at the present time!

Offline randym431

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2006, 10:46:56 am »
Yea, thanks Matt. I'm with you. I broke up my main drive to a second part and installed. It runs very smoothly. Looks great. But I can dual boot between xp, so no hardship keeping vista. Its so different, like a mystery finding how to do the things easily done in xp. Guess thats why they are giving it away for a year free, so we can experiment with it. If one paid $100 or more for a new vista os, and the changes made them angry feeling taken  by ms, then there would have been a lot of bad press. This way, its ours and its free, so go at it ... is my take on their angle. But I do think adding another gig of mem for a total of 2 gig would be worth it. And memory is fairly cheap right now.

Offline DingoBoi

• Bailey's Infected Cream™ Served since 2004
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2006, 05:44:21 pm »
i wanted to wait to buy a new computer till it came preloaded with vista... but sadly, my Vaio passed on... and i'm Dellified now.   I don't think I'll spend the money on upgrading when xp works fine-ish. :P    Maybe when I buy another computer in a few years.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.