Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:20:39 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773220
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 609
Total: 610

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: 36 days post exposure  (Read 3197 times)

Offline gus3839

• Standard
36 days post exposure
« on: July 31, 2013, 09:26:55 pm »
hello all. I have been lurking on these boards for the past month and a half to learn more about HIV, ARS, and all manner of testing.  I would like to share my story.

I am a 23 year old male.  On the 19th of June I had a sexual encounter with a Thai Bar Girl.  We began our session with protected oral sex (on me) and moved into vaginal intercourse.  Looking back I realize that I should have applied some kind of lubrication to the condom, but hindsight is 20/20.  In the middle of vaginal intercourse, I felt the condom break.  After a few stunned seconds I withdrew, saw that the head of my penis had torn through the top of the condom and I had exposed the first 1.5 inches of my erect penis.  I immediately wiped off my penis with a towel and reapplied a new condom.  I  continued with the act until I had ejaculated and we quickly parted ways.  As soon as I got back to my hotel, I began to freak out about what I may have exposed myself to.  I initially tried to put it out of my mind, but eventually went to the ER.  I tested negative as a baseline for HEP C and HIV and began taking a Truvada/Aluvia combination for PEP at approximately 60 hours post-exposure.

I initially experienced a slight headache about 24-48 hours after exposure which seemed to stay around once I began the PEP regimen.   I had an initial bout of nausea and vomiting within the first couple days of beginning PEP as well as losing my appetite.  My appetite slowly came back to me by the time I finished the medications.  While taking PEP I lost about 10 pounds.

In the past week and a half since stopping PEP (approximately 4-6 weeks after exposure) I have experienced slight diarrhea, my headache has slowly subsided, tingling sensations in my fingers and feet, and just yesterday I noticed that I had a painful and enlarged lymph node in my armpit.  It feels like a little marble. I also seem to be continuing to lose weight, maybe an additional 2-3 lbs since stopping the medication.

This past weekend I went in to the local Planned Parenthood clinic and got a battery of STI tests done (HIV, HEP C, Syphillis, Gonorrhea, Trich...etc) and I am still awaiting the results.  Yesterday after feeling the painful node in my armpit I went out and bought an Oraquick In-Home HIV test from the pharmacy and tested negative at 5 1/2 weeks post exposure.

From reading your boards and other sources on the Internet I know that symptoms alone can't tell me if I'm positive or not -- only an antibody test at the appropriate time can tell. I also believe that my Oraquick result may be meaningless because PEP could have delayed seroconversion or just being within the 3 month window.

I am posting on this forum to just release the feelings and anxieties that have been building up inside of me because of what I exposed myself to.  I don't have any other outlet and I've found it very difficult to keep my fears to myself.  If anyone here can provide comments on a risk assessment or any recommendations for testing, I would greatly appreciate it.  Even just words of encouragement would be great.  I've been feeling a bit depressed lately.  Thanks.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: 36 days post exposure
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 09:36:10 pm »
Hi Gus , Insertive partners testing Positive for HIV is rare so when you add PEP into the mix its almost certain you will come out of this HIV negative . You would probably been OK without PEP but that was your call

Edited for accuracy .
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 09:50:09 pm by Jeff G »
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline gus3839

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 07:23:53 pm »
Since my last post my headache has come back with a vengeance. I also woke up yesterday with my right deltoid sore but it feels better now.

This headache is killing me, it hasn't gone away, and I've been on the verge of tears from anxiety and guilt.

At this point (6.5 weeks post exposure and two weeks post PEP) can any of the senior members recommend any tests that I could take that might yield results more accurate than the antibody?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 09:23:16 pm »
Headaches no matter how severe are not an HIV-specific symptom. At this point when 22 days is the average time to seroconversion, it is extremely unlikely you are experiencing ARS.

You can test with any HIV test at 6 weeks. Assuming you get the negative result I expect, it is very likely you will test negative at 3 months for a conclusive result.

I expect you to come out of this ok.
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.