Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:56:32 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 390
Total: 393

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Soooo angry I could explode!!!!! Arrrgh.  (Read 41599 times)

Offline wolfter

Re: Soooo angry I could explode!!!!! Arrrgh.
« Reply #100 on: July 16, 2013, 10:45:30 am »
Perhaps it's time to redefine the term here and allow other true LTS to post in that section.  Other than having immediate access to HAART, I'm sure many of these same people deal with the same long term mental, emotional, societal, career, medical and financial issues.

Wolfie
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #101 on: July 16, 2013, 10:49:25 am »
Joe I think you're misunderstanding what I was suggesting.  I was not suggesting opening up the LTS forum to anyone else.   The criteria for participating in that forum would remain exactly the same as it is now.  The only difference would be that it would be referred to as the Pre Haart Survivors Forum,  which is what it has always been anyway.  The need for that separate space is in no way disputed by me. 

Doing that opens up the terminology of Long Term Survivor to all who have had HIV for a long term (my suggestion was 10 years).   Restricting that use of phrase from people who have had HIV for a long term is not unlike refusing to let gay people call their marriages "marriage".   I really don't see a need for another forum sub group.  The way I am suggesting is a way to bridge some of the differences between us while still protecting the separateness and uniqueness of the current Pre Haart Survivor experience

This website paradoxically categorizes the words "long"  and "term"  as only occurring before 1995.  It's a bit of a nonsensical and at times confusing definition.  And doesn't fully respect the experience of pozzies who have been living with this for a "long term".

I realize it's a bit of shift in thinking for some but no one is giving anything up and I think it is a reasonable request. 

Thanks for the clarification and you are right, I misunderstood what you originally proposed.  I have no objection to changing any terminology and if necessary, I would support an expansion of the forums, if enough members feel the need for it.

Joe

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #103 on: July 16, 2013, 11:08:59 am »
"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline mitch777

33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #105 on: July 16, 2013, 11:13:40 am »
Damn you. Cutting the argument off at the knees.

I know. I'm such a party-pooper.

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #106 on: July 16, 2013, 11:46:40 am »
I fixed it.
"pre-HAART long-term survivors (PHLTS)"

are you god? or just an angel?  :-*

now I'm a PHLTS GLBT PLWHA with PTSD
(i think those acronyms need more vowels though ;) LOL)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #107 on: July 16, 2013, 01:06:56 pm »
"pre-HAART long-term survivors (PHLTS)"

are you god? or just an angel?  :-*

now I'm a PHLTS GLBT PLWHA with PTSD
(i think those acronyms need more vowels though ;) LOL)

I'll have a BLT while you're at it, extra mayo! ;D

BTW (heh), one could pronounce PHLTS as "flits".

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline bmancanfly

• Medicare For All !
« Reply #108 on: July 16, 2013, 01:20:33 pm »
Holy crap!  I wish Congress moved this fast.  Thanks Ann

And thanks to everyone who participated in a very civil and thoughtful discussion.
My belief in the goodness of this place,  while strong before,  has been greatly strengthened.   This has been a very uplifting discussion.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

Bertrand Russell

Offline pittman

« Reply #109 on: July 17, 2013, 12:53:17 am »
wow, catching up on posts, and saw this thread.

yet again, it is just a rehash of stigma transference.

Namely, that people treat HIV inconsistently and differently from other treatable diseases and health conditions. I simply do not see any where near the same level of scrutiny to assigning "guilt" for other conditions that are also largely avoidable through better decisions.

Throw in a little sex or drug use (aka, "sin") and boy that equation shifts in people's mind.  As a rule, we are much more willing to forgive or reserve (moral) judgement if  the perceived cause is less associated with a cultural stigma.

It's all a sliding scale of double standards. Forget to take the pill one time, and get pregnant? Accidents happen (but we still hope you are married, thank you very much.) Get HIV? you were being stupid.  Two dudes ever having sex without a condom? what were you thinking?  Oh, your married? then ok, no need for condoms. wait, married dudes you say? no seriously, that doesn't count, you should wear them anyway- after all, gay guys cheat. we never have of heard of straight couples being unfaithful. (but if on the off chance one strays, the other is still innocent, so we won't say you have to wear condoms, just cross your fingers that nothing bad happens.)

Now, seriously, can you see people in general being anywhere as concerned about trying to tell women with cervical cancer that if they'd only been wearing condoms, they probably would not have contracted the HPV that likely lead to it developing?

Offline wolfter

« Reply #110 on: July 17, 2013, 09:55:47 am »

Namely, that people treat HIV inconsistently and differently from other treatable diseases and health conditions. I simply do not see any where near the same level of scrutiny to assigning "guilt" for other conditions that are also largely avoidable through better decisions.

I believe there are numerous diseases/illnesses that are viewed differently depending upon the causes.

Lung cancer from smoking is looked upon differently than those who developed it and didn't smoke
Diabetes while being hugely obese garners less compassion than for someone who is thin.
Heart disease, skin cancer,  etc...

Not that it's right, but we all tend to make these initial judgments.  It's mainly in how we deal with these internal judgments that matter.
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.