Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 11:30:25 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37649
  • Latest: MSB92
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773264
  • Total Topics: 66345
  • Online Today: 361
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 334
Total: 335

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: HIV AND ME ON BBC2 (UK)  (Read 22159 times)

Offline newbie76

Re: HIV AND ME ON BBC2 (UK)
« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2007, 04:21:42 pm »
Maybe I used the wrong phrase Newbie, bit if I did I still can’t think of a better one.

I don’t see that getting better acquainted with the facts about your disease and treatment is in any way negative, even if this means opening your eyes to the possibility that your treatment might not work as well as you’d hoped or that the drugs themselves could cause problems, and that these problems could have serious implications.

I also have to disagree strongly with your assertion that there was nothing in the program about people doing well on meds, the young lady who was born positive, was she not doing well? And what about the lady who was giving the school lectures after being infected by her unfaithful husband, was she also not doing well? Like I said I think that the program was reasonably well balanced, yes it showed some unpleasant aspects but this was balanced by, erm well, the positive.

I think that, as others have said, that this program was not necessarily aimed at us pozzies anyhow but at the general complacency shown by the public at large. You don’t say how old you and your significant other are Newbie but having just taken the time to read through some of your previous posts I gather that you weren’t too aware of what was happening back in the 80’s and are now having to deal with a large amount of unfamiliar information about this strange disease. And that is precisely what this program is highlighting, you and your Bf, as gay guys should have been better informed about HIV and all its risks than the general public. Every gay bar and club that I’ve ever been in has posters and leaflets freely available for anyone to read; how many young guys (or girls) now take the time to acquaint themselves about even the basic facts of the disease and its transmission?

Your Bf might hide in the bedroom crying, if all of this is so new then he must be terrified, you too. But sooner or later you will both have to stop hiding and make decisions which you can only make properly once you have the true facts, warts and all. These decisions, whether about treatment options or lifestyle changes can greatly affect your chances of co-existing happily with your bug, so it’s important that you have a chance to assess ALL the relevant information before making them.

In closing, (I’m even boring myself now), I apologise if I caused you any offence; that was not my intention. If the program and/or my comments has shocked you and opened your eyes to the fact that antiretrovirals are not necessarily a panacea – then I am glad.

By the way please re-read the last paragraph of my first reply.

John.

John,

I find the tone of your post patronising to say the least. I'm not too sure where you have read that my bf and I are "hiding". Also, you say that you have the impression that I wasn't familiar with this disease and that I should be better informed about it.

I have always been very informed about it, but some people perhaps, like to have some hope, and live the rest of what's left with a positive outlook thinking that maybe there's a chance that I might be one of the lucky ones, that perhaps one day someone will find a cure, or at least there will be meds that will keep me alive and well for a long time. This is what helps me getting up every day.

Seeing a guy dying at 40 and another one going blind doesn't give me anything. Yes, HIV is a serious disease, we all know that, now would you care to explain to me exactly in what way seeing how I am going to die can help me? I cannot do anything to get rid of this bug because now it's too late, so I am sorry if I prefer to concentrate on people that are doing well on meds and aspiring at doing as well as them. I admire all the other people on here that don't feel anything by looking at that program, but seeing what disease does (can do) to you scares the shit out of me.

I am 31 and so is my bf. We were both diagnosed less than 6 months ago and it fell on us like a giant stone. The fact that we have managed to carry on with our lives without jumping from the window, the fact that I still haven't missed a dose of my medications, the fact that my health is now improving, the fact that I am making an effort in documenting myself every day and eat the right stuff, for me these are all important achievements and I feel proud of myself for all that I am doing to safeguard my health as much as I can, the last thing I need is some guy off the Internet to tell me that I am hiding and I am not informed. And before patronising people you don't even know you should think twice; I might even know more things that you on HIV but still be scared by it.

Rant over. Apologies to everybody elkse for hijacking the thread with this but I felt like I had to set the record straight.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 04:23:13 pm by newbie76 »
25th Apr 07: The worst day of my life
27th Apr 07: cd4 202 14%
30th Apr 07: cd4 126 18% VL 110000
19th May 07: Started Truvada/Sustiva
20th Jun 07: cd4 218 25% VL 435
13th Aug 07: cd4 374 20% VL 64
20th Dec 07: cd4 435 24% VL <50
20th Oct 08: cd4 725 31% VL <50
30th Nov 09: cd4 725 30% VL <50
01st Nov 10: cd4 755 33% VL<50
11th Nov 11: cd4 754 32% VL<50
01st May 12: cd4 864 40% VL<50
01st May 13: cd4 615 VL 609 :-/
14th May 13: VL <50

Offline vokz

• efavirenz junkie
« Reply #51 on: October 04, 2007, 05:05:04 pm »
HIV is a serious disease, we all know that, now would you care to explain to me exactly in what way seeing how I am going to die can help me?

I say again .. it wasn’t meant to help you (or me, or anyone else here).

For weeks the BBC have been running trailers showing Willie on his last legs / wheels telling us that he wouldn’t live to see Christmas - so you MUST have known in advance what you would be faced with.

Why should everything that deals with HIV-AIDS be tailored to please our sensitivities, address our needs and speak to our knowledge levels?

The whole point of the programme is to stop other people ending up in our shoes .. and showing happy people, who are flourishing on meds, to the 25% of kids who think that HIV is just another random curable illness, which is fixed with a free antibiotic from the local GUM clinic, really is not going to do the trick.

It is not that people don’t feel anything watching the programme – it is that they see the greater picture (I hope).

Offline vokz

• efavirenz junkie
« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2007, 05:32:31 pm »
PS: Having seen the second programme already, I urge you not to watch it thinking that it will be all happy-clappy and telling us UK-based pozzers (and potential pozzers) about all the wonderful support services that are available to us; because you wont find it.

The BBC (both radio and television) has plenty of other programming about that in the next few months .. once the shock and awe phase is over and done with

Offline newbie76

« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2007, 05:33:25 pm »
I say again .. it wasn’t meant to help you (or me, or anyone else here).

For weeks the BBC have been running trailers showing Willie on his last legs / wheels telling us that he wouldn’t live to see Christmas - so you MUST have known in advance what you would be faced with.

Why should everything that deals with HIV-AIDS be tailored to please our sensitivities, address our needs and speak to our knowledge levels?

The whole point of the programme is to stop other people ending up in our shoes .. and showing happy people, who are flourishing on meds, to the 25% of kids who think that HIV is just another random curable illness, which is fixed with a free antibiotic from the local GUM clinic, really is not going to do the trick.

It is not that people don’t feel anything watching the programme – it is that they see the greater picture (I hope).

I don't watch the BBC. I only watched this program because I saw an article about it on the Internet, so I didn't really know what to expect.

I still think that whoever edited the program didn't take into any consideration people that are still coming to terms with the disease. It's a bit like the whole attitude around finding a vaccine rather than a cure, a bit like saying "f*ck the poz guys, they're already sick anyway! Let's concentrate on those that are still negative and try to keep them that way".

I am not saying that they shouldn't have shown the guy dying, I am just saying that perhaps they should have also mentioned that there are people that are doing well on medication and are leading a fullfilling life, for the benefit of those that are perhaps a bit more vulnerable.

Offline newbie76

« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2007, 05:35:22 pm »
PS: Having seen the second programme already, I urge you not to watch it thinking that it will be all happy-clappy and telling us UK-based pozzers (and potential pozzers) about all the wonderful support services that are available to us; because you wont find it.

The BBC (both radio and television) has plenty of other programming about that in the next few months .. once the shock and awe phase is over and done with

Thank you for the tip... I wasn't going to watch it anyway... the first already ruined my week so I am not going to make the same mistake again!

Out of curiousity, how could you've seen the 2nd one already?!???

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2007, 05:43:35 pm »
Vokz, you just popped up in this thread, it would be good to hear you introduce yourself so we can say welcome..and I wanna know how yo got to see pt 2 before us, cos I's away in SA next week n is gonna miss it

Welcome

- matt
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 05:45:35 pm by newt »
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline vokz

• efavirenz junkie
« Reply #56 on: October 04, 2007, 05:44:50 pm »
I saw preview copies of the shows and some of the other programming last week.

Offline vokz

• efavirenz junkie
« Reply #57 on: October 04, 2007, 05:53:17 pm »
Vokz, you just popped up in this thread, it would be good to hear you introduce yourself so we can say welcome

Matt

Just another random (and far too blunt) Efavirenz f*cked London pozzer of little note who popped by for a look and a break from the same old suspiciously repetitive Worried Well posts over at TheBody.com

Mark

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #58 on: October 04, 2007, 05:57:05 pm »
Don;t have a problem with blunt.

Shame about the efavirenz head fuck, if they designed that out it would be a very good invention. 

Hope to see you around in other threads.

- matt (brighton) the newt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline vokz

• efavirenz junkie
« Reply #59 on: October 04, 2007, 06:03:40 pm »
I don't actually suffer from any of that. I'm one of the lucky ones .. but I do kinda miss my nightly 10PM NHS rush ;)

/ends hijack

Offline keyite

« Reply #60 on: October 04, 2007, 06:30:46 pm »
I still think that whoever edited the program didn't take into any consideration people that are still coming to terms with the disease. It's a bit like the whole attitude around finding a vaccine rather than a cure, a bit like saying "f*ck the poz guys, they're already sick anyway! Let's concentrate on those that are still negative and try to keep them that way".

Sorry, but I don't see any need to take that into consideration. You'd never get a programme off the ground trying to address every possible viewer. There are other and better sources for the newly diagnosed to come to terms - this website being one of them. As for a vaccine - I hope for the sake of humanity they do find a vaccine, even if they never find a cure. Of course the negative should be kept that way, if it is at all possible - that aspiration isn't some kind of personal slight to me because I happen to be poz.

I am not saying that they shouldn't have shown the guy dying, I am just saying that perhaps they should have also mentioned that there are people that are doing well on medication and are leading a fullfilling life, for the benefit of those that are perhaps a bit more vulnerable.

And they did. The middle-aged lady doing talks to school kids was really inspirational and seemed to be doing fine health-wise - just to pick one.

Offline komnaes

« Reply #61 on: October 04, 2007, 11:00:28 pm »

Hey Newbie

I am sorry to hear that you feel this way. Maybe because I am still a newly diagnosed, hence the reality hasn't settled in me, or I am more able to detach from it or I have seen worse images of people that I knew and cared about dying of different diseases (well, mostly cancer).

For me, when I watched the scene in the Edinburgh hospice, I actually felt rather warm and happy for the guy that after many years (20 something) of struggling he at the end found a very nice place with caring caregivers to pass away. I WISH I can die in that place. As for the blind guy, yes, it's scary to learn that there are OIs that can cause blindness, but not far from where we live our family know a man, who's in his 40s, turned blind because of diabetes.

Maybe it was the shock of watching those old footages of dying patients, the Edinburgh hospice and then the blind guy so upset you that you didn't notice the positive aspects - toward the end they feature a young teenager who's been HIV all her life, fighting hard to manage her health as well as openly confronting all the discrimination; and then there was this HIV+ older granny type who gave talks to young students about safe sex and discrimination. These to me are people that are confronting their virus head-on, living protective lives and carry on regardless.

These are people that I know I have to look up to in order to manage my disease, and that's what I get from this program.

Shaun
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 11:02:10 pm by komnaes »
Aug 07 Diagnosed
Oct 07 CD4=446(19%) Feb 08 CD4=421(19%)
Jun 08 CD4=325(22%) Jul 08 CD4=301(18%)
Sep 08 CD4=257/VL=75,000 Oct 08 CD4=347(16%)
Dec 08 CD4=270(16%)
Jan 09 CD4=246(13%)/VL=10,000
Feb 09 CD4=233(15%)/VL=13,000
Started meds Sustiva/Epzicom
May 09 CD4=333(24%)/VL=650
Aug 09 CD4=346(24%)/VL=UD
Nov 09 CD4=437(26%)/VL=UD
Feb 10 CD4=471(31%)/VL=UD
June 10 CD4=517 (28%)/VL=UD
Sept 10 CD4=687 (31%)/VL=UD
Jan 11 CD4=557 (30%)/VL=UD
April 11 CD4=569 (32%)/VL=UD
Switched to Epizcom, Reyataz and Norvir
(Interrupted for 2 months with only Epizcom & Reyataz)
July 11 CD=520 (28%)/VL=UD
Oct 11 CD=771 (31%)/VL=UD(<30)
April 12 CD=609 (28%)/VL=UD(<20)
Aug 12 CD=657 (29%)/VL=UD(<20)
Dec 12 CD=532 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
May 13 CD=567 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
Jan 14 CD=521 (21%)/VL=UD(<50)

Offline StrongGuy

« Reply #62 on: October 05, 2007, 02:00:17 am »
Just finished watching it and thought it was very very well done. Definitely seemed aimed at prevention, education, and waking  people up to the significant prevelance of ignorance and stigma. And to encourage people to get tested.

Also very well balanced.

I found the stories very inspirational - from the guy who lost a lot of his vision (who was a remarkable individual and looked great after all he's been through) to the older mother and Carly living full lives but still dealing with ignorant a-holes.

I also like Fry's methodical, inquisitive approach. It wasn't "in your face" - he just let the stories speak for themslves as he pondered and learned with everyone (though pretty much most of what he covered wasn't anything I hadn't really heard before).

Thanks for posting. We appreciate it.

:)
"Get your medical advice from Doctors or medical professionals who you trust and know your history."

"Beware of the fortune teller doom and gloomers who seek to bring you down and are only looking for company, purpose and validation - not your best physical/mental interests."

"You know you all are saying that this is incurable. When the real thing you should be saying is it's not curable at the present time' because as we know, the great strides we've made in medicine." - Elizabeth Edwards

Offline newbie76

« Reply #63 on: October 05, 2007, 02:00:24 am »
Sorry, but I don't see any need to take that into consideration. You'd never get a programme off the ground trying to address every possible viewer. There are other and better sources for the newly diagnosed to come to terms - this website being one of them. As for a vaccine - I hope for the sake of humanity they do find a vaccine, even if they never find a cure. Of course the negative should be kept that way, if it is at all possible - that aspiration isn't some kind of personal slight to me because I happen to be poz.

And they did. The middle-aged lady doing talks to school kids was really inspirational and seemed to be doing fine health-wise - just to pick one.
I am sorry but that makes no sense to me... If they find a cure HIV would become like other STDs such as Clamydia: you take a pill and you're fine, which would save everybody (current neg and poz).

Offline md

« Reply #64 on: October 05, 2007, 02:46:50 am »
I am sorry but that makes no sense to me... If they find a cure HIV would become like other STDs such as Clamydia: you take a pill and you're fine, which would save everybody (current neg and poz).

I think it does make sense if you go back and read it more carefully.

keyite didn't say that he didn't want a cure to be found.

He said that "even if they never find a cure" he still hoped that a vaccine would be found.

That seems perfectly reasonable to me.

Offline keyite

« Reply #65 on: October 05, 2007, 06:37:01 am »
Yes, md has it right. Vaccine and cure are not mutually exclusive. Because of the nature of the virus it will be very difficult to achieve either. A cure (as in ridding the body of the virus once infected) I personally think will remain a theoretical possibility for many years to come. I can't imagine it will ever become like chlamydia or the other bacterial STDs where you "take a pill and you're fine".

Wishing for and working towards a vaccine, i.e. giving the uninfected immunity to infection, does not to me equate "f*ck the poz guys". Yes, it would mean we would have to manage with the ARVs, which are pretty good and getting better all the time, but more importantly it would mean billions could avoid infection altogether and whole economies in sub-Saharan Africa, and eventually elsewhere too, might avoid collapsing. Unfortunately I think that too lies a long way off.

Doesn't mean I don't hope for either or even both.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #66 on: October 05, 2007, 10:40:22 am »
btw, I'm taking the video down from my web site folks.  If you still want to watch it you can find it split into several sections soon on a web site that Shaun/komnaes will tell you about.

I'm afraid of going over my monthly download limit on my .mac account
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline vokz

• efavirenz junkie
« Reply #67 on: October 05, 2007, 10:56:05 am »
FYI: It is already on YouTube split into six sections ;)

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=hiv+and+me&search=Search

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #68 on: October 05, 2007, 12:18:52 pm »
thanks for links komnaes  ;D I had already read through this interesting thread before sitting down and watching this show this morning (I was too busy wondering what my latest labs were going to show yesterday to care about much else. Luckily the numbers weren't bad  ;) )

Of course, after watching it, I realized this show doesn't have much to do with us - the already infected. This show is clearly aimed to shake up a complacent society. It's the opposite and IMHO more realistic view than of the "hiv-lite" message. Regardless of how wonderful the drugs are, this is a serious deadly disease. If the science surrounding HIV hadn't improved, we'd be living in a time worse than the worse part of the 80s with this epidemic - if we'd even be alive at all today! (My partner died because there was nothing to help him. I started on AZT that seemed more deadly than the disease. Now, I'm still here only because the better meds have kept my VL nearly in check) Truthfully, would any one of us, even the luckier ones taking "a pill a day" and living without any other effects from this disease, really wish this onto anyone?

Many of the original activists who spoke up, warning about this disease, have unfortunately passed away. (Don't I wish I had listened to them?) Then many of us were dealing with our own issues as the meds were being improved, and talk of AIDS faded away. And now the numbers of infected are rising again. Remember the old slogan "Silence = AIDS"? Obviously with less talk about the subject, without keeping it in the public eye, silence does lead to HIV infections.

If I had the chance to talk to Mr. Frye, I'd tell him the same thing I tell several others that I know that lecture about preventing HIV (one whom I consider a friend that I met in these forums):

"Thank you for continuing to warn people about this horrible disease. I'm glad you didn't "sugar coat" the subject too much. If you scared just ONE person away from contracting this disease, you have done a wonderful thing. Thank you."
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline md

« Reply #69 on: October 05, 2007, 12:48:13 pm »
Remember the old slogan "Silence = AIDS"?

Actually it was "Silence = Death".

Offline komnaes

Aug 07 Diagnosed
Oct 07 CD4=446(19%) Feb 08 CD4=421(19%)
Jun 08 CD4=325(22%) Jul 08 CD4=301(18%)
Sep 08 CD4=257/VL=75,000 Oct 08 CD4=347(16%)
Dec 08 CD4=270(16%)
Jan 09 CD4=246(13%)/VL=10,000
Feb 09 CD4=233(15%)/VL=13,000
Started meds Sustiva/Epzicom
May 09 CD4=333(24%)/VL=650
Aug 09 CD4=346(24%)/VL=UD
Nov 09 CD4=437(26%)/VL=UD
Feb 10 CD4=471(31%)/VL=UD
June 10 CD4=517 (28%)/VL=UD
Sept 10 CD4=687 (31%)/VL=UD
Jan 11 CD4=557 (30%)/VL=UD
April 11 CD4=569 (32%)/VL=UD
Switched to Epizcom, Reyataz and Norvir
(Interrupted for 2 months with only Epizcom & Reyataz)
July 11 CD=520 (28%)/VL=UD
Oct 11 CD=771 (31%)/VL=UD(<30)
April 12 CD=609 (28%)/VL=UD(<20)
Aug 12 CD=657 (29%)/VL=UD(<20)
Dec 12 CD=532 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
May 13 CD=567 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
Jan 14 CD=521 (21%)/VL=UD(<50)

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #71 on: October 05, 2007, 01:21:19 pm »
Actually it was "Silence = Death".

Thanks  :D, I knew that didn't sound quite right. (I told you that I didn't listen to that message in time.  ;) ) But at that point it time, it pretty much meant the same thing.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline BKNYLivin

« Reply #72 on: October 05, 2007, 03:20:06 pm »
I just watched it online and thought it was quite balanced and I'm sure it will do some good. Even if it makes 10 people think and change their behaviour, that can only be a good thing. I didn't find anything shocking about it - Yes, people are still dying of HIV/AIDS and that's a fact, whether we like it or not. A lot of people seem to think no one dies or really suffers anymore(tell that to the people I see in NYC hospitals and all over this city) and I get so sick of hearing that, so I was glad it was pointed out.
I liked the fact that there was a "mature" heterosexual lady and the teenage girl - just shows you that discrimination is still very much alive, but there are people willing to take a stance. Carly, the teenager, is a brave girl, knowing how cruel kids can be. It's all about making people think............. 
If it makes some of us with HIV a little uncomfortable, I say that's also a good thing - we need to think too, even though this documentary was clearly aimed at the less informed(which might include some of us Living with HIV).
Diagnosed 9/18/06
10/13/06 - CD4:449, 33%,  VL:>500,000
11/20/06 - CD4: 392  VL:425,000
02/08/07 - CD4: 361, 16.9% VL:133,000
02/13/07 - Started HAART: Atripla
03/08/07 - CD4:401, 23.8% VL:643
06/05/07 - CD4:614, 33.6% VL:225
09/14/07 - CD4:612, 37%  VL: <50
12/14/07 - CD4:582, 38.5% VL:<50
4/11/08 - CD4: 658, VL: <50
3/5/09 - CD4: 847, 49% VL: <50
7/29/09 - CD4: 965, 50.1% VL: <50
12/28/09 - CD4: 925, 49.2% vl <50
9/16/10 - CD4: 1011 vl: <50

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.