Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 02:14:22 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 246
Total: 247

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Whale Oil Beef Hooked!  (Read 13880 times)

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
« on: January 16, 2011, 07:12:56 pm »
Just got a phone call from Frau Eva. She ordered some fasting tests last October. The results were lost but now are found.

And they suck ass.

Can't remember what my last HIV bloods were (VL detectable but <40, CD4s can't remember, don't really give a shit).

As of early November last year I had:

Fasting glucose: 6.0 (should be <5.4)
Fasting cholesterol: 6.9 (should be <5.5)
Fasting triglyceride: 10.7 (should be <2.0)
  :o

Bugger. :)

Spake the Frau: "Lose weight, stop drinking or die. Those are your options and I don't care which you choose. Hopefully you'll get a decent bout of pancreatitis to underline the urgency of this."

She says I'm a pre-diabetic, whatever the fuck that is.

Apparently the Ritonavir is partially to blame for the high triglyceride result.

So it's the tee-totalling, Pritikin lifestyle for Matty. Sober in the mornings? Great fuckity! I gotta lose 5% of my body weight.

And rest assured, I'm gonna take this out on you motherfuckers.

So tuck yerselves in kiddies, this is gonna be one hell of a ride.

;D

MtD

Offline buginme2

Re: Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 07:51:08 pm »
If nothing I else I rather enjoy your choice of prose
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline odyssey

• Mutiny of the neurons!
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 08:25:52 pm »
If nothing I else I rather enjoy your choice of prose

I must agree with bug. Your post made for rather amusing reading. Not that your situation doesn't suck, but the beautifully descriptive language you chose made learning about it that much more enjoyable!

Pre-diabetic means if you don't get your ass in gear you're going to end up with diabetes!

Time to start eating healthier and getting more exercise! And if the doctor said to cut down on the alcohol, I'd follow her advice too.

We shall all await your further develop of foul mood with great anticipation!

All the best!
odyssey
01/09/09- diagnosed HIV+
01/16/09   CD4-425    22%  VL- 32,415
11/09- started Reyetaz/Norvir/Truvada
03/10- stopped R/N/T
10/18/11   CD4- 328   20%  VL- 84,000
10/25/11   CD4- 386   22%
10/28/11- start Truvada/Reyetaz/Norvir
12/30/11  CD4- 523  29%
03/08/12  CD4- 503  31%  VL 57
07/02/12  CD4- 897  43%
08/31/12  CD4- 745  39%
12/27/12  CD4- 884  40%
03/28/13  CD4- 819  39%
07/19/13  CD4- 739  40%
10/17/13  CD4- 535  36%
01/16/14  CD4- 743  43%

02/14- switched from R/N/T to Tivicay/Epzicom because of CKD 3 suspected from tenofovir.

03/14- switched back to R/N/T due to severe nausea and inability to eat on T/E.

04/01/14 CD4- 898  42%   VL-

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 09:33:56 pm »
If you can take the alcohol free and the Pritikin diet lfestyle we sure as hell can take the Hell Fire and Brimstone.. ;)

Just do as you are told and get well...I don't want to see you coming back with a Diabetes 2 diagnosis.

Aroha (and lots of it)
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline fearless

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 10:03:53 pm »
Hi Fatty,

I think you should use this as an opportunity to increase your intake of nicotene and amphetimines, both of which should decrease your appetite.
Alternatively, do some exercise - if you run to the pub (granted, an achievement in itself if you're still drinking in Katoomba) you can burn the beer off before you even have it.
You could be the new Lithgow Flash.
Just don't choose option 3, please.
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 10:14:21 pm »
I once thought you had ice water running through your veins but now we know it is Crisco.

My triglycerides are higher than yours so, ha ha, I win.

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 10:58:27 pm »
Hi Fatty

Uh, no she didunt  ;D

Matilda, just wishing ya well.  I know quite well how bad it is when the Nazi doc tells you that, due to liver issues,  you either have to stop the alkie or croak.  Mine did that in October (along with forbidding me from visiting Five Guys, popping some new pill, and adding an extra mile to my daily run) and it was mighty difficult.  You will be bitchier than usual for a few days (I feel bad for the poor souls at AmII?) and then all will be just dandy.

Luff ya.
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 11:08:52 pm »

It's a good thing I looked up Pritikin because I thought it was some kind of religion.   Maybe we can start a support thread of sorts.  Keep tabs on what he eats and drinks.....  You should probably stop smoking too.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline littleprince

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 02:14:01 am »
I get to do the fasting tests next month so I'll see if my expanding waist line gets me in trouble.

Quote from my doctor: "There is some evidence that HIV drugs cause weigh problems but it's probably because in the past you just died if you had HIV, now people are living longer and getting fat... don't get fat".

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 06:04:29 am »
Matty, I hope you follow your Frau's advice.  I want you around for a very long time! :-*
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2011, 08:42:42 am »
Matty, Australian for beer. Post me your lamingtons. All of them!

Offline bmancanfly

• Medicare For All !
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 10:42:49 am »

;D

MtD

So up to this point what we have been witnessing is Matty on good behavior?  Yikes.    ;D

Ditch the beer for sugarfree pot brownies.  It my not help but, at  least you won't care.

Take care of yourself,  we need your humor around here.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

Bertrand Russell

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2011, 02:28:29 pm »
So it's the tee-totalling, Pritikin lifestyle for Matty. Sober in the mornings? Great fuckity! I gotta lose 5% of my body weight.

;D

MtD

Oh noes!, not another temper tantrum!  Go ahead, bring it on... you don't scare me and I expect this to be  a very long rant on your part.  Honestly, your cavalier attitude towards your own being is breaking my heart.  Listen friend, you either want to live or not.  Nobody can do this for you, so maybe you could do this for us... please.

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2011, 02:44:35 pm »
Matty -
Please take care of yourself ---
We need you to be around here for a while.

September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2011, 04:30:48 pm »
OH WOW , I'm missed this yesterday , I was busy feeding my fat friends cake and Mountian Dew .

Please get well soon Matty and in the mean time feel free to take it all out on me ... oh wait , that wont work because I wont cry and you need tears from your victims to feel better . Get well or I will come visit . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2011, 06:32:03 pm »
Yer, yer tris are kinda high. Fasting glusose is a shit test, i set no store by it. You wanna look at you overall heart attack risk and insulin resistance profiile. But, broadly speaking, she is right i guess. The treadmill beckons (or sommat like - salsa?). Did she not suggest an extra cholesterol med? - matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2011, 07:02:11 pm »
Did she not suggest an extra cholesterol med? - matt

Yeah.  Hey, Matty...am I remembering correctly?  Aren't you on Kaletra?  Seems like I remember you saying you were nearing the end with the old orange gels.  Anyway...when I was on that stuff, my blood went all to hell.  I ended up on cholesterol meds and triglyceride meds  - had three different auxillary scrips to go with the Kaletra.  They helped with the cholesterol, but the other blood fats kept staying way high. 

My old doc (who sucked ass and I don't miss one bit) kept butting up against me about changing meds despite all my complaints.  It was only because I believe I had a minor stroke and my labs were so shitty that he eventually agreed.  By that point, though, I was already on my way to getting a new doctor (who I love to pieces).  Anyway...your post just reminded me of the old talks with the first doc.  It was always anything but the meds, according to him..and most likely the problem was me somehow.

Anyway...whatever your situation, know that I am counting on you to hang around - and to take your aggression out on me.  You know us Southern Baptist boys...we see suffering as a virtue (and secretly enjoya little abuse anyway).

-Youth Pastor T
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2011, 09:34:22 pm »

Save the Ticker and Pancreas! Now get your ass movin, I cant do without your insults and will need them Indefinitely. You have your Forum members to think about, afterall can you imagine a Forum where Missp is the resident insulter? Travesty.

POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2011, 03:29:32 pm »
Oh noes!, not another temper tantrum!  Go ahead, bring it on... you don't scare me and I expect this to be  a very long rant on your part.  Honestly, your cavalier attitude towards your own being is breaking my heart.  Listen friend, you either want to live or not.  Nobody can do this for you, so maybe you could do this for us... please.

Gee dad, does this mean I can't take the Studebaker to the sock hop? :P

Yer, yer tris are kinda high. Fasting glusose is a shit test, i set no store by it. You wanna look at you overall heart attack risk and insulin resistance profiile. But, broadly speaking, she is right i guess. The treadmill beckons (or sommat like - salsa?). Did she not suggest an extra cholesterol med? - matt

Yairs. The Fragrant Frau has referred all the relevant paperwerks to my GP, Lady Jane. Apparently there's a range of other tests (no doubt the ones to which you refer) that should be done. Happens sometime after January 24.

Yeah.  Hey, Matty...am I remembering correctly?  Aren't you on Kaletra?  Seems like I remember you saying you were nearing the end with the old orange gels.  Anyway...when I was on that stuff, my blood went all to hell.  I ended up on cholesterol meds and triglyceride meds  - had three different auxillary scrips to go with the Kaletra.  They helped with the cholesterol, but the other blood fats kept staying way high. 

My old doc (who sucked ass and I don't miss one bit) kept butting up against me about changing meds despite all my complaints.  It was only because I believe I had a minor stroke and my labs were so shitty that he eventually agreed.  By that point, though, I was already on my way to getting a new doctor (who I love to pieces).  Anyway...your post just reminded me of the old talks with the first doc.  It was always anything but the meds, according to him..and most likely the problem was me somehow.

Anyway...whatever your situation, know that I am counting on you to hang around - and to take your aggression out on me.  You know us Southern Baptist boys...we see suffering as a virtue (and secretly enjoya little abuse anyway).

-Youth Pastor T

Not Kaletra, Prezista//Ritonavir and some other shit. Truvada I think. Possibly some Raltegravir too. Pink, blue, orange, white. I call 'em my reservoir dogs.

No blonde though. :( In the mornings, plenty of brown. :) And now, with the eschewing of my traditional breakfast vodka perhaps some green. :D

Apparently Baileys Irish Cream is alcoholic! Baileys? Who knew? Not me. So now I have to have milk on my cornflakes.

There will be no treadmills. Rather I shall brave the hateful rays of the Daystar and walk in the great outdoors treating the good citizens and ratepayers of the 'Bong to the jiggling of my chest puppies.

And if you'll excuse me I have a breakfast smoothie to make. Without kahlua. >:(

MtD

PS: You're all a bunch of cunts.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2011, 03:44:40 pm »
I think I see your problem.

You are utilizing your sense of taste, instead of heading right for the drunk.

Kahlua? Baileys? Really? No wonder your levels are high.

151 Rum (or pure grain alcohol) and diet soda ought to solve everything.

Of course, you may be billed for a new centrifuge when your next blood draw causes an explosion.

Enjoy your walkabouts!

PS: I thought you were hardcore. Who will be my hero now?
"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2011, 11:09:30 pm »
I think I see your problem.

PS: I thought you were hardcore.

Apparently not JK, I thought it was only pussie's and me who drank Bailey's.

Get a grip Matty for God sake and leave the Kahlua and Baileys to us ladies.

Aroha
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2011, 12:22:33 am »
I'm totes. hardcore. I'm just classeh. I don't start on the hard likker until the Daystar is over the yard-arm. Vodka isn't hard likker, by the way.

I'lldrink all you motherfuckers under this fucking bar.

MtD

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2011, 12:27:08 am »
I was hoping that Bailey's and coffee could remain a gender nutrial breakfast beverage because I do love it so .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2011, 10:59:43 am »

I'd like to see you try!
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2011, 09:42:59 pm »

MtD

That pic is freakin me the fuck out.
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2011, 01:27:59 pm »
OK Comrade,

Get off your ample arse and get moving. I want to see those man boobs flapping!

Would you like some tofu recipes? I have loads of them.

Soon, you will be the svelt twinkette we alway knew was lurking just beneath the skin.

Oh, and rant on if you wish.

But look on the bright side. You can have all the poached fish and green tea you wish! ;)

HUGS,

Mark
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 01:32:58 pm by aztecan »
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2011, 01:46:00 pm »
OK Comrade,

Get off your ample arse and get moving. I want to see those man boobs flapping!

Would you like some tofu recipes? I have loads of them.

Soon, you will be the svelt twinkette we alway knew was lurking just beneath the skin.

Oh, and rant on if you wish.

But look on the bright side. You can have all the poached fish and green tea you wish! ;)

HUGS,

Mark

I have a hard time seeing Matty as a twink ... word of warning , bossy bottoms gets the ball gag .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2011, 06:16:41 pm »
I have a hard time seeing Matty as a twink ... word of warning , bossy bottoms gets the ball gag .

OOOOOH, you know how to show a fella a good time!
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2011, 09:19:19 am »
I have a hard time seeing Matty as a twink

I think of Matty as a senior twinkizen.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline John2038

• Happiness is a journey, not a destination.
    • HIV Research News (Twitter)
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2011, 10:16:40 am »
The bigger a health problem becomes, the less are the solutions remaining (and vice-versa). In the lifespan of a health, problem there are milestone: point of no return, paid cash by a lower life expectancy and a more miserable quality of life. Now it requires more effort to correct a problem than to denounce it.

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2011, 10:45:53 am »
The bigger a health problem becomes, the less are the solutions remaining (and vice-versa). In the lifespan of a health, problem there are milestone: point of no return, paid cash by a lower life expectancy and a more miserable quality of life. Now it requires more effort to correct a problem than to denounce it.

deep

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2011, 10:47:20 am »
I don't get it.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2011, 10:48:15 am »

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2011, 12:36:48 pm »

Good shit man, what strain ya dealing wit this morning?  Amnesia Haze, Blueberry, White Widow, or a combination of all three?

I totally overstand you!
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2011, 02:00:32 pm »
gotta have a beer buzz

Or you can use the gibberish generator/translator:

Now it requires more miserable quality of life. Now it requires more effort to correct a problem there are the life. Now it requires more effort to correct a problem there are the less are miserable quality of lifespan of a health, problem than to denounce it. The bigger a health, problem becomes, the life. Now it requires more effort to correct a problem becomes, the less are miserable quality of lifespan of a health problem becomes, the solutions remaining (and vice-versa). In the solutions remainin
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline John2038

• Happiness is a journey, not a destination.
    • HIV Research News (Twitter)
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2011, 02:19:15 pm »
Good shit man, what strain ya dealing wit this morning?  Amnesia Haze, Blueberry, White Widow, or a combination of all three?

I totally overstand you!
atripla man atripla high fly man i can see

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.