Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 02:44:55 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 204
Total: 204

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Stroke Rates Increasing Among People With HIV  (Read 5842 times)

Offline tednlou2

Stroke Rates Increasing Among People With HIV
« on: January 21, 2011, 01:58:31 am »
I don't know what to make of these findings.  It says the risk of stroke had increased by 60% for those with HIV, but then said the risk of stroke was still very low.  My grandfather had a stroke and grandmother had a brain hemorrhage.  That is how it has always been described for her, but I guess that means a stroke or aneurysm. 

http://www.poz.com/articles/hiv_stroke_ischemic_761_19775.shtml

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: Stroke Rates Increasing Among People With HIV
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 03:10:42 am »
An ischaemic stroke is different from an aneurysm.

But if you're gonna have a stroke Theodora, you should hope for a massive one. The kind which sees you dead before you hit the toilet floor. You don't wanna be left horribly alive, paralysed and drooling in some nursing home.

I had an uncle who died from a stroke whilst he was perched on the lav. Strained so hard, he ruptured a blood vessel in his brain. True story.

You're not constipated, are you?

MtD

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 03:37:23 am »

But if you're gonna have a stroke Theodora, you should hope for a massive one. The kind which sees you dead before you hit the toilet floor. You don't wanna be left horribly alive, paralysed and drooling in some nursing home.

I had an uncle who died from a stroke whilst he was perched on the lav. Strained so hard, he ruptured a blood vessel in his brain. True story.

You're not constipated, are you?

MtD

Well, I've talked enough about the huge loads I drop.  They are so big that I feel like I'm going to have a stroke---get the heart thumping in the head where you can feel it.  This sounds sexual the way I've phrased it.  It takes about 3 flushes--sometimes got to chop them up..lol.  You can just wipe off the knife and it is ready to go to slice the ham.  I'm kidding.  I use a spatula. 

Offline elf

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 03:51:09 am »
5 words:  take your omega 3 supplements

:)  (this is my 300th post so everybody give me a kiss!  :-* )
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 03:52:53 am by elf »

Offline littleprince

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 04:20:21 am »
or switch to Kaletra...

Offline littleprince

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 04:38:30 am »
I call bullshit on this study. Although I only bothered to read the abstract. The simple fact is that young people have less health problems and as you age you have more. HIV used to wipe out people when they were still young so they didn't get to experience all the wonderful problems associated with an aging body. Now that people with HIV are living longer they are experiencing the same health problems that the rest of the population experience.

Of course there has been an increase in health problems of people living with HIV in the last 15 years. But mainly because they are actually living longer. So this 'research' has just proved that aging people actually ... age.

I wish I could get some grant money for sitting on my ass and pumping out pointless 'research' like this. I really hope that funding for this didn't come out of funds for HIV/AIDS research.

Offline edfu

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 06:28:28 am »
I call bullshit on this study. Although I only bothered to read the abstract. The simple fact is that young people have less health problems and as you age you have more. HIV used to wipe out people when they were still young so they didn't get to experience all the wonderful problems associated with an aging body. Now that people with HIV are living longer they are experiencing the same health problems that the rest of the population experience.

I call bullshit on your bullshit.  The "rest of the population" don't experience strokes in their 50s, as were the majority of the people in the study you didn't read.  Acceleration of the aging process among HIV-positives and its concomitant diseases and disabilities is more and more recognized as a vital area of concern and needed research.  Osteopenia, for example, is not common among 40- and 50-year-olds, especially men.  The comorbidities of 70- and 80-year-olds should not be occurring among those who are in their 40s and 50s.   If you spend some time on this site, you can read about multiple examples of this from other members.  Also see this:

http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/hiv_charpa_aging_2042_19208.shtml
"No one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences."--Albert Camus, "The Plague"

"Mankind can never be free until the last brick in the last church falls on the head of the last priest."--Voltaire

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 08:46:20 am »
Well, 3 observations:

The absolute risk of stroke, even when 60% increased, is till 0.2%.

Proportionally, loads more HIV-positive folk smoke compared to the general population.

The cohort generating the increased risk will include many folk who have had HIV a long time, maybe come back from the brink. This will make the figures different than, say, a cohort of people who started treatment in good time.

Everyone should have their cardiovascular risk assessed annually. This is very individual. Family history, smoking, age and gender are [probably still more important than HIV in determining a person's risk of stroke or heart attack.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 09:42:25 am »
Well, 3 observations:

Proportionally, loads more HIV-positive folk smoke compared to the general population.

I'm surprised to hear this. Do you know if they were smoking before they were HIV+ or started smoking after they were infected?

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 10:12:09 am »
I'm surprised to hear this. Do you know if they were smoking before they were HIV+ or started smoking after they were infected?

Why would this surprise you?  Smoking rates are higher in all the major US risk groups in the first place -- gays, ethnic minorities and IV drug users.  What difference does it make if they were already smoking before their HIV diagnosis?
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2011, 10:25:30 am »

I wonder if there is any correlation between HIV and Newport sales.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2011, 10:37:15 am »

I wonder if there is any correlation between HIV and Newport sales.

... like smoking a Christmas tree

Offline GSOgymrat

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2011, 06:56:58 pm »
Why would this surprise you?  Smoking rates are higher in all the major US risk groups in the first place -- gays, ethnic minorities and IV drug users.  What difference does it make if they were already smoking before their HIV diagnosis?

Many people on here talk about becoming more health conscious after being diagnosed with HIV. I thought they might have quit smoking.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2011, 07:37:42 pm »
Many people on here talk about becoming more health conscious after being diagnosed with HIV. I thought they might have quit smoking.

There have been copious studies in the treatment news section of poz.com on this issue, but aside from that it's not a great idea to draw conclusions on amounts of "anything" just from one isolated HIV forum membership on the internet.  Not to mention what someone claims during their first year of diagnosis (quitting smoking, drinking, doing drugs) doesn't mean they maintain that.  I quit smoking when I was diagnosed too, but once I was convinced that I wasn't going to keel over when the anyone breathed on me I started smoking again.

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2011, 08:01:16 pm »

This was another related article, that just came in email this morning :

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/214218.php

Spike Reported In Number Of People With HIV Having A Stroke
Main Category: HIV / AIDS
Also Included In: Stroke;  Neurology / Neuroscience
Article Date: 20 Jan 2011 - 4:00 PST

New research suggests that people infected with human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) may be up to three times more likely to have a stroke compared to those not affected with HIV. The study is published in the January 19, 2011, online issue of Neurology®, the medical journal of the American Academy of Neurology.

"Our findings showed that stroke hospitalizations in the United States decreased by seven percent in the general population within the last decade while stroke hospitalizations for people with HIV rose 67 percent," said Bruce Ovbiagele, MD, MSc, Professor of Neurosciences at the University of California, San Diego and a member of the American Academy of Neurology.

For the study, scientists reviewed all stroke hospitalizations in the United States within the last decade. The number of stroke diagnoses in the general population declined with 71,742 fewer strokes overall. However, stroke diagnoses among people with HIV increased by 537 more strokes from the start of the decade. For those with HIV, the study showed an increase in ischemic strokes but no increase in hemorrhagic strokes. An ischemic stroke is caused by a blood clot and is the most common type of stroke.

"The average age for a stroke among people with HIV was in the 50s, which is much lower than that of those without HIV. This finding suggests that HIV or HIV treatments may be directly related to stroke occurrence," said Ovbiagele. "Indeed, one potential explanation is the increasingly widespread use of combination antiretroviral medications in HIV-infected people. While these therapies have greatly increased life expectancy, they may boost the presence of risk factors associated with stroke. Another possibility is that longer exposure to HIV as a result of greater survival, even at low viral load levels, may allow for the virus to increase stroke risk."

Source: American Academy of Neurology (AAN)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 08:12:59 pm by J.R.E. »
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline eric48

• Standard
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2011, 08:47:14 pm »
Hi,

One day I would like to see some study (about MODERN days HIVERS -with access to meds-) that says:

- HIVERs have more sex than others
- HIVERs have more fun than others
- HIVERs have more $ than others
- HIVERs have more luck than others (at least at lotteries...)
- HIVERs have more friends than others
- HIVERs have more interesting challenges than others

I do not need no F*?*g statistician for this...

That's the feeling I get from reading you guys

(note: people who have the luxury of falling in love more than once in a lifetime are sure to have HEART problems ;-)   )

Eric

NVP/ABC/3TC/... UD ; CD4 > 900; CD4/CD8 ~ 1.5   stock : 6 months (2013: FOTO= 5d. ON 2d. OFF ; 2014: Clin. Trial NCT02157311 = 4days ON, 3days OFF ; 2015: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02157311 ; 2016: use of granted patent US9101633, 3 days ON, 4days OFF; 2017: added TDF, so NVP/TDF/ABC/3TC, once weekly

Offline GSOgymrat

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2011, 11:17:10 pm »

My aunt Marion had a debilitating stroke. She started having headaches and then had a stroke which left her unable talk other than to say "yeah". She could move her right arm to some degree and turn her head but was otherwise unable to move. She was also unable to write. You could tell that she understood what was going on around her but was unable to communicate. It seemed the harder she tried to communicate the less she was able to do it. She was in a nursing home for years trapped in her own body. Once my mother went to visit her and Marion had tears streaming down her face. My mother knew something unusual was going on and discovered her leg was broken, obviously by nursing home staff when bathing her or putting her in a chair. Who knows how long she had been lying there in pain. She was in the nursing home for about 15 years before she finally died.

One of my coworkers died that way. His 4 year old daughter called 911 because her daddy was in the bathroom and wouldn't come out. When EMS broke the bathroom door they found him dead beside the toilet. He was 40.

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2011, 01:16:15 pm »
Hi,

One day I would like to see some study (about MODERN days HIVERS -with access to meds-) that says:

- HIVERs have more sex than others
- HIVERs have more fun than others
- HIVERs have more $ than others
- HIVERs have more luck than others (at least at lotteries...)
- HIVERs have more friends than others
- HIVERs have more interesting challenges than others

I do not need no F*?*g statistician for this...

That's the feeling I get from reading you guys

(note: people who have the luxury of falling in love more than once in a lifetime are sure to have HEART problems ;-)   )

Eric

For you, who is someone who spouts volumes of text on the subject, to feel this way surprises me.

Then again,  I ain't a "modern day HIVer."

I'm fucking old.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 02:27:02 pm by aztecan »
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline wolfter

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2011, 03:43:30 pm »
Not that it makes a difference, but I didn't start smoking until I was diagnosed.  Like I was concerned about lung cancer, wasn't going to live to be 30 anyways.  The majority of my gay friends did/do smoke so there might be a correlation between lifestyle and strokes. 

Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2011, 08:00:36 pm »
Let me see, everyone in my family smokes, I'm the only one that has AIDS and the only one to have had a stroke. I'll buy that story, that HIV causes increased stroke rates.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2011, 12:38:32 am »
Since the topic of smoking has come up-- I've seen the studies that more gay men smoke than their straight counterparts.  I always wondered why this is.  Is it just the "gay lifestyle"?  I've seen even gay guys who work out and are all muscled up who smoke.  I always thought it was strange to see gay guys come out of the gym and light up.  I use to do this after leaving the gym.  In the general population, smokers are usually from lower education/lower socio-economic backgrounds.  But, we always hear gay men are more educated and have higher disposal incomes than straight counterparts--probably due to not having kids.  Are gay men more likely to take health risks?  Is it the feeling among many gay men that we are forever young?  I'm not sure of the statistics anymore.  I would say half my gay friends smoke and half don't.  I do know drug usage seems to be much higher among my gay friends.  But, I think I'm getting off-topic from my own thread.         

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2011, 01:28:46 am »
Since the topic of smoking has come up-- I've seen the studies that more gay men smoke than their straight counterparts.  I always wondered why this is.  Is it just the "gay lifestyle"?  I've seen even gay guys who work out and are all muscled up who smoke.  I always thought it was strange to see gay guys come out of the gym and light up.  I use to do this after leaving the gym.  In the general population, smokers are usually from lower education/lower socio-economic backgrounds.  But, we always hear gay men are more educated and have higher disposal incomes than straight counterparts--probably due to not having kids.  Are gay men more likely to take health risks?  Is it the feeling among many gay men that we are forever young?  I'm not sure of the statistics anymore.  I would say half my gay friends smoke and half don't.  I do know drug usage seems to be much higher among my gay friends.  But, I think I'm getting off-topic from my own thread.         

It's genetic.

MtD

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2011, 02:29:08 am »
Ever heard Bonnie Tyler's cover of Meatloaf's "Two Out Of Three Ain't Bad?" It's disco, but not awful.

I listen to junk like that on weekends. When I can pull myself out of Freddie Mercury's "These are the Days of Our lives." Makes these discussions seem fun, but ultimately pointless.

We are all marked, and whether Jim Steinman or Sylvester takes the mike, we all have our songs to sing, our own  poignant words to add, but it is, at the end of the day, the same quilt. We add to it, in increments. But our names are written already.

I am sorry to have nothing more positive to add to this.

Not tonight.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.