Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:34:23 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773220
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 634
Total: 634

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Private Insurance Nightmare  (Read 5258 times)

Offline Mishma

• HIV drugs are our Allies but hardly our Friends
    • Marquis de Vauban
Private Insurance Nightmare
« on: July 24, 2012, 08:46:55 pm »
When I went to work at a state university I took out long term disability insurance as well as long term care, knowing perhaps someday I would need both. No physical was required nor was I expected to divulge my HIV+ status. I worked for 14 years before I had to go on disability. The private insurance kicked in and paid me a portion of my income, made regular contributions to my TIAA/CREF retirement account, as well as covering my medical insurance premiums, meds and hospitalization.

So that is the backstory. Everything was running smoothly until about 2 years ago when out of the blue I got letter from one of the insurance companies indicating that I was being dropped from their coverage but I could appeal. And so appeal I did by hiring a disability lawyer. Here is what I learned.

The onus is on us to make sure the medical records insurance companies receive periodically ( in this case the VA) are accurate

We can appeal a denial of claim but it is going to cost $. In my situation $1000.00 with no reimbursement. 

Insurance companies routinely go after small fish too so that when a large settlement happens and they contest the claim, they can show no bias

Physicians can retroactively alter and correct their notes

If the case goes to trial and you lose it costs you nothing. If you win you get 2/3s of the settlement

How did this happen you might wonder. Turns out the basis of their denial was not information provided by my ID doctor but rather a poorly written, grossly inaccurate note from a psychiatric resident that I had seen.

It went something like this.

Mr. X’s bipolar condition appears to be stable and he going to take a job as a running coach at a local community college.”

What I told the resident was that I might volunteer a few hours as a writing coach at the local library.

After the discovery phase the insurance company promptly reinstated me. I was hoping they would take to me to court-I know the local AIDS foundation could use the money. I can laugh at it now but at the time I felt like a character in a Franz Kafka novel.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 12:39:24 am by Mishma »
2016 CD4 25% UD (less than 20). 30+ years positive. Dolutegravir, Acyclovir, Clonazepam, Lisinopril, Quetiapine, Sumatriptan/Naproxen, Restasis, Latanoprost, Asprin, Levothyroxine, Restasis, Triamcinolone.

Offline Ocean1617

Re: Private Insurance Nightmare
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 01:03:23 pm »
I am not understanding the reason the insurance drop you because of the psychiatric resident's note. Did the note seem to indicate that you were able to work and not disabled? Is that why the insurance dropped you?

Offline gadawg1979

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 12:00:33 am »
Tort law is in your favor they have 24 months to find a problem after that fact you are covered.
Diagnosed March 2012
Initial CD4- 156 VL 200K (started Complera) Genotype test no resistance
First labs on meds CD4- 246 VL 2K Taken after 30 days on Complera
90 Day labs VL 306 No CD4 Drawn
8/21/2012 CD4 474 VL Undetectable (40) %20.6
11/27/2012 CD 4 522 VL Undetectable (40)
2/14/2013 CD 4 464 VL Undetecable (30) 19.6%
6/8/3013 CD 4 528 VL Undetectable (30)
9/24/2013 CD 4 546 VL Undetectable (40)
1/30/2014 CD4 560 VL Undetectable (40) 22 %
6/19/2014 CD4 584 Vl Undetecable (30)

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 09:24:32 am »
Not sure that I'd classify this as a "nightmare".  Seems that the insurance company was dropping you because it was told you were going back to work.  Once you let them know that this was incorrect, they reinstated you.  Unless there is more to this story, seems like a misunderstanding that got corrected as soon as the facts came out.  It's unfortunate that it cost you money and time, but I wonder if you could have gotten this straightened out without a lawyer if you had contacted the insurance company yourself.  Perhaps you did and didn't mention it -- but it seems like you went right for lawyer.
As for where the onus of correct data should be -- do you really think it's the insurance company that should ensure all the records they receive are correct??  That seems like that wrong place to lay the responsibility.

Offline Solo_LTSurvivor

• Twerk Baby Twerk
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 12:20:12 pm »
Tort law is in your favor they have 24 months to find a problem after that fact you are covered.

Do you care to explain how you arrived at this conclusion?  If you were attempting to apply the "but for" doctrine to find out where the exact proximate cause lies, you could go on ad nauseum.

But for the hospital/clinic hiring a resident to provide treatment, the OP wouldn't have been dropped from his coverage.

But for the OP not seeing a "trained" doctor instead of a resident, he wouldn't have been dropped because the doctor wouldn't have written up the case notes improperly.

Do you see where this is going?

If the OP wanted to attempt to bring a civil action for the tort of negligence, why wouldn't he go after everyone including the hospital/clinic/psychiatric facility, the doctor, the resident AND the insurance company?  After all, the blame could be equally distributed, under the law of torts, and with your line of thinking someone would have to make the OP whole.

Torts are not that simple generally.
don't equate intelligence with lack of masculinity
Jim Phelps, Mission Impossible

Seroconverted: Early 80s
Tested & confirmed what I already knew: early 90s

Current regimen: Biktarvy. 
Last regimen:  Atripla (with NO adverse side effects: no vivid dreams and NONE of the problems people who can't tolerate this drug may experience: color me lucky ::))
Past regimens
Fun stuff (in the past):  HAV/HBV, crypto, shingles, AIDS, PCP

Jan 2012: 818/21%
Apr 2012: 964/22%
Jul. 2012: 890/21%
Oct. 2012: 920/23%

Still UD after all these years

Offline JessieJames

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 09:00:26 am »
You made a good decision hiring a lawyer. Don't take legal advice from a blog. 

I saw some discussion of Torts above.  There was no civil wrong here, this was an administrative law issue. 

Never go up against an insurance company on your own.   

Offline Solo_LTSurvivor

• Twerk Baby Twerk
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 09:46:16 pm »

Don't take legal advice from a blog. 

I saw some discussion of Torts above.  There was no civil wrong here, this was an administrative law issue. 

Exactly. 

The only administration in this particular situation pertains to whatever the process is for determination of what "disability" is based upon the guidelines - which is not the same as administrative law.

Administrative law specifically deals with regulations, standards, and adjudicatory decisions of the various administrative agencies created by Congress and the executive branch of government (on both the federal and state levels).  Unless something has recently changed and TIAA CREF miraculously became a (government) agency and is no longer a Fortune 100 company, then it would be necessary to go before an administrative law judge at a hearing to determine where the fault lay, and the judge would enforce the rules, as per the agency regulations.

The only reason I  brought up the subject of torts, is I was curious as to how one of the commenters on this thread felt that tort law applied to the OP's post.
don't equate intelligence with lack of masculinity
Jim Phelps, Mission Impossible

Seroconverted: Early 80s
Tested & confirmed what I already knew: early 90s

Current regimen: Biktarvy. 
Last regimen:  Atripla (with NO adverse side effects: no vivid dreams and NONE of the problems people who can't tolerate this drug may experience: color me lucky ::))
Past regimens
Fun stuff (in the past):  HAV/HBV, crypto, shingles, AIDS, PCP

Jan 2012: 818/21%
Apr 2012: 964/22%
Jul. 2012: 890/21%
Oct. 2012: 920/23%

Still UD after all these years

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.