Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 10:28:04 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772781
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 220
Total: 220

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: ATRIPLA is driving me NUTS!!!  (Read 20984 times)

Offline pozguy75

• POZitively Speaking
ATRIPLA is driving me NUTS!!!
« on: November 06, 2007, 06:34:34 pm »
My doctor has increased the dosage of Paxil to help ease my anxiety issues...I am seeing a new therapist to assist me in working through some other issues...I am thinking about talking to the doctor regarding the possibility of switching my meds. I will give the Paxil time to work, but I just don't know if  will be handle the long term mental mind fuck...

I know others have posted this before...but I have to say...this sucks! >:(
Dx 2005
ATRIPLA

Offline Peter6836

• Me and my Granddaughter Noa
Re: ATRIPLA is driving me NUTS!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 07:35:38 pm »
I understand all too well. The anxiety gets to me sometimes too. It is just such a shame that the Atripla is doing a decent job with my immune system and I have this fear of changing to something else. My doctor and I keep playing with my meds as well hoping to hit on a combination that will work well. I understand the frustration you are going through. Keep trying to sort things out, just do not let the mind fuck get the best of you.
Peter

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 08:27:45 pm »
Poz, would it be helpful to you for you to talk more specifically about your anxiety? That's an offer and not a demand if it would do you some good.

Sometimes putting things into words however you do it can be a relief. I'm not suggesting this as a replacement for therapy sessions but rather just some additional support.

Just sayin'...

« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 08:29:39 pm by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Offline pozguy75

• POZitively Speaking
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 10:09:38 pm »
Poz, would it be helpful to you for you to talk more specifically about your anxiety? That's an offer and not a demand if it would do you some good.

Sometimes putting things into words however you do it can be a relief. I'm not suggesting this as a replacement for therapy sessions but rather just some additional support.

Just sayin'...

Well, I think possibly the real question is: Is ATRIPLA contributing to my anxiety or is it magnifying the existing anxiety that I am already experiencing.

Just this week I have started to see a new therapist as well, and I see her again next week.
Dx 2005
ATRIPLA

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 12:13:45 am »
Best of luck -- anxiety sucks.  I've had it for 7 years (with no Atripla) so hopefully a switch in meds will help you.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 09:02:34 am »

Well, I think possibly the real question is: Is ATRIPLA contributing to my anxiety or is it magnifying the existing anxiety that I am already experiencing.

Just this week I have started to see a new therapist as well, and I see her again next week.

Because of great numbers I gutted it out with Atripla (Sustiva) and it's horrible side effect. It really was driving me crazy. I finally had a come to Jesus with my doctor and we decided I needed a switch. I'm not saying Atripla is the cause of your anxiety, but I do believe that it can exacerbate the problem. I would have a haart to haart with your doctor asap.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 10:32:11 pm »
OK. I'm glad you're getting some professional help. Anxiety is another of those challenges that you ought not to have struggle with by yourself.

If it's helpful to you keep us posted on how things are going.

Best,
Andy Velez

Offline handlewithcare

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007, 11:33:56 pm »
I JUST STARTED ON ATRIPLA LAST NIGHT AND IT WAS THE WORST NIGHT AND DAY OF MY LIFE..U GUYS ARE SCAREING THE PANTS OFF OF ME..IM SITTING HERE LOOKING AT THIS SECOND PILL AND JUST DONT KNOW IF I CAN DO THIS...

Offline Delicate-Balance

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2007, 09:22:06 pm »
I just started my 3rd month on Atripla, the first month was the worse with increased depression, anxiety, confusion, and WILD nights.   Tried changing the time I took it with no major difference, but think night is the best for me.  Knowing that side effects can go away, I was reluctant to change meds as I felt that the positive outweighed the negative.  Sleep is still an issue and have tried many options with +/- results.  I have been on Effexor XR prior to the atripla.  At least the "bad thoughts" have once again gone away. Still confused at times... today I put hair gel on my face thinking it was moisturizer!! 

Offline minismom

• Quocumque jeceris stabit
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2007, 10:18:40 pm »
what dosage of susteva are you on?  Mini is on 300mg 1x/ day.  She takes it in the afternoon.  She doesn't "seem" depressed...a little touchy sometimes and complains she tired.  Her mood is better if she takes a nap after lunch.  We just atributed it to her still needing a nap at 7.  Just trying to figure all this out.

Mini's mom
www.watoto.com
www.MotherBearProject.org
"Whichever way you throw me, i will stand"
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2007, 05:35:02 am »
For what its worth Jeromy,  My doc would not even consider letting me try Atripla because of depression issues.   He said once we get your head screwed on a bit tighter he might think about it....  Reading so many threads about depression and anxiety issues around it, I am not really going to press the isssue...   Be sure you give Paxil a good run... It can take up to two weeks before Paxil is at a level in your body to do you some good.   I was on it for a year during the acceptance phase and I am pretty sure it kept me from hangin from the rafters...

Hugs,

Eric

Offline pozguy75

• POZitively Speaking
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2007, 12:54:33 pm »
I have to say the increased dosage of Paxil, seems to have taken the edge off. But, I am still going to talk with my doctor when I see him in the next couple of weeks.  I just can't stand the anxious feelings.
Dx 2005
ATRIPLA

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2007, 01:39:06 pm »
Paxil?  pft -- you need klonopin dear.  THAT will take the edge off -- trust!

Offline pozguy75

• POZitively Speaking
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2007, 02:43:37 pm »
Klonopin is it? I will put that down on my list for sure!
Dx 2005
ATRIPLA

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2007, 03:18:07 pm »
Paxil is an SSRI, but more specifically for SOCIAL anxiety.  Sounds to me like you're having more generalized anxiety and panic attacks, and in my experience that calls for a good benzodiazepine class med like Klonopin.  Benzos work on totally different receptors, and frankly they really do work.  Some doctors are hesitant to prescribe them though because they think you become an addict, which of course you do but do they consider that you're addicted to HAART?  It's just silly.  As long as your under the care regularly of a psychiatrist it should be no issue, as they will maintain you on a reasonable dose.  Klonopin is good for this because, of the benzo class, it has a longer half life.

I'd also recommend congnitive behavioral therapy to really zero in on what's going on with these anxiety issues though.  It may not be as simple as blaming Atripla, though Atripla could be aggravating something that was already present making it worse.

edit:  oh I see you are already seeing a therapist -- how has that worked out for you?  I feel bad for anyone with intense panic attacks.  They're a wretched experience.  I never had them then all of a sudden they appeared in my 7th year of my diagnosis.

Offline pozguy75

• POZitively Speaking
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2007, 03:36:08 pm »
Well yesterday was my second visit to the therapist and I am liking her. She is forcing me to face a few of my fears and causes of my anxiety, and she also thinks I should discuss a med switch off of Atripla.

I see my doc in a week or so, so hopefully we can come to a good decision soon.
Dx 2005
ATRIPLA

Offline brian davis

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2007, 08:35:18 am »
Hey i can CERTAINLY understand the anxiety thing. I just wish mine was ONLY due to the meds. I have had this miserably lovely bug for almost 18 yrs now and after restarting meds for the first time after going 14 yrs without seeing a Dr or taking a pill or ever even really thinking about it even except for wearing condoms with my neg ex or when i cut myself at work. I restarted about last august and the cops promptly started arresting me and giving me DUIs for my epzicom and reyataz. I am now on Atrippla and personnally i think it is a dream combo and granted it doesnt help with stress it has NO OTHER side effects like the misery i did have with the epzicom and reyataz not to mention the dreaded AZT :-\. Anyway i have recently met the MOST WONDERFUL woman in the world and she is on welbutrin and after trying hers i asked my psychiatrist and have now been on it for a month and a half and its the most effective thing i have run across so far. I wouldnt bail on the Atripla so soon i dont know what your numbers are doing but mine are having pretty impressive results. Now i am back to living happy and only wanting to kill someone half of the time and even then its mainly the redneck bastard cops that i know think they have themselves a queer  :( Anyway best of luck to you whichever course you decide to take  ;)

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2007, 10:35:57 pm »
Brian -- I'm gay, and I run this website.  Obviously, when a strait guy uses the word "queer" as often as you do (2 posts so far), it can start to bug guys like me.  Watch your mouth, or you won't last long here.

If you click the "Terms of Membership" link at the bottom of this page, you'll see the following paragraph:

These forums are moderated, and in order to provide a safe place for our diverse membership, we have a strict policy against threatening or abusive language, or language that is racially, ethnically, sexually, or otherwise objectionable.

If you have a problem with this warning, please send me a Private Message.  Don't complain about it in this thread.

I know you're new here, and I really want you to become a regular member.  Please try to remember how diverse our membership is.  Thanks.

Peter

Offline brian davis

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2007, 11:05:34 pm »
I greatly apologize its made only in a fit of rage in response as a result of my COMPLETELY UNFAIR treatment and INCARCERATION and denial of my civil rights because of a FALSE ASSUMPTION of a bigotted redneck which i have now made myself sound like so please forgive me. I am just absolutely enraged that so farmy civil rights have been thrown out the window and i have sppent MORE THAN 50 days in jail and owe OVER 65% of a years social security because of a redneck assholes misperception >:(. Anyway apologies to anyone i mayhave offended i have no prejudices towards anyone sexual prefferances i got WAY past that about 18 yrs ago when diagnosed myself and once again just so sorry if i WAS a minority OR gay i COULD HAVE gotten legal representation but was denied because i was neither :( Even lambda said my case wasnt gay enough or hiv enough for them to help me so i had to stand alone and cross examine the redneck SOB arresting officer and WAS CONVICTED with no blood,breath,urine, NOT EVEN a field sobriety test just because 1 redneck presumed i was gay and in tthe county i lived in at the moment m CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS meant nothing so yes i am a bit enraged  >:( Once again no offense to anyone i am just about to go insane and have ALMOST ended it several times because of it and the fact thati can find NOT ONE COMPASSIONATE person to help so far other than say "THEY CANT DO THAT " however the fact is i WAS denied a lawyer AND a jury bacause of a rednecks misperception of who i am and therefore i DO STANDeven more strongly for the fact that ANYOONE can be ANYTHING they want to be to be happy in what is supposed to be this great country of ours  ???

That being said NOOFFENSE meant to anyone just maybe something more fit to be put in a blog or something but just venting i have so far so far lost/owe all i have mentioned plus my home because of ONE REDNECK SOB and my COMPLETE denial of civil rights. Anyway i guess this isnt the place for MY RANT but sorry needed to vent and NO ONE else will listen ior could EVEN POSSIBLY understand so once again i apologize to anyone i have offended with my statements they werent about anyone just a misperception of myself so please forgive me  :-[

Offline pozguy75

• POZitively Speaking
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2007, 07:00:32 pm »
Well, I spoke with my doctor, and we just did my bloods and I should get those results back hopefully soon...but, I will say that, he wanted to wait another month, and wants to see what my numbers are like then. That being said, he also, wants to make sure that I have a decent quality of life too.

I was explaining to him that, it appears that I have been waking my partner up in the middle of the night because, I am screaming in terror...and my sleep is affected as well as my partner's. And the doctor, doesn't want to just throw other drugs at the problem, instead we will explore other med options that will hopefully not be as hard to tolerate.

I had a difficult time with Kaletra because of the GI issues...but yes Virginia there are PIs out there with less severe GI effects. So, I agreed to give it another month then make a decision at that point...

And the good news is, that the anxiety has GREATLY decreased with the combination of the Paxil as well as the cognitive therapy. I have a great deal of work to do, and I look forward to the day, if there is one, when I can not talk about this anxiety stuff anymore!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 07:02:23 pm by pozguy75 »
Dx 2005
ATRIPLA

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2007, 07:37:26 pm »
That being said, he also, wants to make sure that I have a decent quality of life too.
. . .
I had a difficult time with Kaletra because of the GI issues...but yes Virginia there are PIs out there with less severe GI effects. So, I agreed to give it another month then make a decision at that point...

And the good news is, that the anxiety has GREATLY decreased with the combination of the Paxil as well as the cognitive therapy.. .

Good to hear that things are getting a little better. ;D Unfortunately with some meds it just takes time to work through side effects. My only advice is to not take too long though.

I stayed on Sustiva for 9 months because the doctor swore the effects would go away. However, when I fell down the staircase one morning still "doped up" after another night of waking-up-screaming nightmares, I just quit my meds altogether. It took my viral load sky-rocketing, getting deadly sick, a change of doctors, and another years worth of "testing" regimens before the new doctor and I got a combo to work for me. If I had been a bit more pro-active I might not have had to quit working (because of the side effects, and then from being sick from no meds).

However, I did end up with one draw back - the current regimen, the best one so far, still makes me barf about a dozen times a month - but that's better than barfing everyday, or screaming in the middle of the night or falling down staircases. It's hard to know when to wait a little longer and when to consider something a "quality of life" issue and make a major change/decision. Some people believe having even a mild reaction is not worth taking some meds. Others live with side effects to stay alive. That's a decision you should make after discussing it all with your doctor and partner.

Sorry if I hiked up your anxiety again LOL It does sound like you are being pro-active and working with your doctor on these problems though, and I think that's a GREAT thing. If you stay on top of these issues, hopefully they won't get so out-of-hand and cause you problems like I had.

mikie
(who'll have blood taken thurs, and hates that two week wait to see what the results are)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline pozguy75

• POZitively Speaking
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2007, 11:29:33 am »
Well, I got my labs back and my numbers are the best they have every been...

CD4: 853
VL: <50
%:25

I just said, "WOW!" I felt like a lottery winner...but at the same time, the dreams and anxiety are still there...so what next? I am giving it the month the doctor asked for, but if I can't shake this anxiety I will ask to switch...I know the one pill is convenient and what not...but I don't like being a nervous wreck either...
Dx 2005
ATRIPLA

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.