Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 02, 2024, 02:43:42 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37617
  • Latest: NChio
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772996
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 189
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 172
Total: 172

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Verry nervous and worried  (Read 6810 times)

Offline worriedinfl48

Verry nervous and worried
« on: April 06, 2008, 06:46:07 pm »
about a year ago had unprotected sex (lasted awhile) with a girl. Took a test in the 6-8 week mark and came back negative but now I am having doubts. I am wondering whether the doctor actually knew how to check the test because she also said I didnt have thrush when I did

have waited awhile out of fear to take the test and went this past Friday. Doctor said I had thrush but that it could not be from HIV because it is only when you have AIDS which would not come within  1 year. Don't know whether to believe him but I have alot of symptoms

symptoms
headaches
anxiety
nausea
thrush
heavy breathing gust by going up stairs
throat hurts

I am really getting worried and have no idea if I want the results. Please tell me the truth, don't sugarcoat it please. If you think I have it, tell me

Offline RapidRod

Re: Verry nervous and worried
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 06:51:26 pm »
Anyone can get thrush at anytime. Thrush is not HIV specific. You already have a 6-8 week negative test result and your up coming test result will be conclusive and I doubt that it will change. Make sure you always use condoms and water base lube consistently and correctly and you won't have the HIV scares.

Offline eclecticguy

• I only look surprised
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 07:04:08 pm »
I agree with rapidrod.  People can get thrush at any time. Yours absolutely cannot be from HIV,because enough time hasn't past. Thrush ican be an opportunistic infection that is used as a definitive illness for AIDS in those people infected with HIV.  It indicates a significantly low CD4 count (less than 200, and usually much less than that)

Please use condoms and don't put yourself through this mental agony again.  If you just are not comfortable go to a testing facility, most can get you results in 20 minutes with  a high degree of accuracy.
"Faith is blind trust in the absence of evidence, even in the teeth of evidence" -Sir Richard Dawkins (Darwin's Rottweiler)

Offline worriedinfl48

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 07:33:39 pm »
thanks guys for the reply. so what would you say are my chances despite all those symptoms?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008, 07:45:42 pm »
HIV is not a game of chance or odds. Your test will be conclusive.

Offline worriedinfl48

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2008, 07:59:22 pm »
was the last test not conclusive? I keep getting the feeling that it was a mistake and was not actually negative

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2008, 08:25:26 pm »
3 months post exposure is considered conclusive. You need to take your confirmation test at 13 weeks.

Offline worriedinfl48

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2008, 08:31:23 pm »
oh ok I get it now. Sry I keep bothering you guys though

so is the 6-8 week test not reliable?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2008, 08:44:37 pm »
It's not conclusive.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2008, 09:24:46 pm »
The average time to seroconversion is 22 days. All but the smallest number of those who are going to seroconvert will do so within 4- 6 weeks after an exposure to the virus. With your initial negative in hand the great likelihood now is that you will again test negative at 13 weeks.

Good luck.

Cheers, 
Andy Velez

Offline worriedinfl48

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2008, 10:39:42 pm »
thanks Andy and rapidrod. That seroconversion post kind of calmed me down but than I realize that the test came back in less than 3 days. I don't know if that is normal but it seems rushed

I can not sleep waiting for this but I don't know if I want to know the results. How could anyone with as many symptoms as me be negative?

Offline worriedinfl48

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2008, 03:09:39 pm »
sry i keep bothering you but the phone call I got scared me. I think a nurse called me saying that the blue care network said I must get my blood drawn to check my cholesterol. She said bluecare requires it over a certain age, ye I have some doubts.

Do you think they are saying this to tell me I am positive or does this have no relation to my HIV test?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2008, 04:19:07 pm »
No, they would not make up anything to get you back in to the Dr..

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2008, 04:47:40 pm »
Labs can't win. If they take a long time worriers are sure it means something's wrong. You get a negative result quickly and you worry maybe they didn't take enough time. Your result was negative. Be  happy and I expect you will be collecting another one of those at 13 weeks. Really.  Tell your head to take a rest. No kidding.
Andy Velez

Offline worriedinfl48

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2008, 05:53:32 pm »
sry guys I'm back and very worried. Been a walk and a half and still no call

have you guys ever seen the lab take so long with the result being negative? I would think that if it was negative they would look at ti and give me  the result within a couple days

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2008, 06:25:43 pm »
Yes. Labs can take from a few hours to a couple weeks. It depends on the Lab and their work load.

Offline worriedinfl48

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2008, 12:29:30 pm »
ok well I havent got my results yet so I called today and this is what they told me. I have no idea what to take out of this

they said we are not legally allowed to give results over the phone so i have to go in tmrw. Which worried me alot but she said they would have called me if something was wrong

what do you guys think?

I don't know if I want to go in tomorrow.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2008, 01:02:47 pm »
worried,

What they said means just what they said. It's against the law in some areas to give hiv results over the phone, whether they're negative or positive.

When she said they would have called you if something was wrong, you can read that as meaning if your result was positive, they would have called you up had you schedule an appointment with them as soon as they got the result.

Stop sweating and to collect your negative results.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline worriedinfl48

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2008, 01:10:36 pm »
thanks Ann.

but what I don't get is how come my last doctor in the same area gave me my results over the phone but they can't?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2008, 05:03:48 pm »
Yah, yah, yah. In case you haven't already noticed, the world is the way it is. Keep your eye on the prize and go collect your negative results.
Andy Velez

Offline worriedinfl48

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2008, 09:10:00 pm »
i really think they are lieing to me to get me in there

Counseling and Testing procedures:
HAPIS will permit disclosure of HIV test
results over the phone in limited circum-
stances, i.e. areas with low prevalence.
Only negative results will be given, along
with appropriate prevention counseling.
Call HAPIS for more information (517)
241-5900. News on the

from the website. What do you guys think?

I don't think I will be sleeping tonight

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2008, 09:14:01 pm »
 ::)

Look the choice is yours. Either go and get the result or don't. Like the others here I'm all but certain you're going to test negative.

The Lab isn't lying to you "to get you in there" they just wanna give you your results and presumably some post test counselling, which is standard clinical procedure irrespective of whether your test is positive or negative.

Now toughen up. Go and get your (negative) results.

MtD

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.