Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:06:13 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772953
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 478
Total: 478

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: 1st week of meds and a few questions.  (Read 4824 times)

Offline otherplaces

• Mutant Super Hero
1st week of meds and a few questions.
« on: August 26, 2006, 12:27:24 am »

I have almost completed my first week of meds, or med.  I'm taking Atripla.  I'm pleased to say I have experienced very few side effects.  There have definitely been some "wooziness" which was very minor.  There was some tingling in my leg like when I was first infected, but that's gone now.  I think it has caused some insomnia, but that's nothing new for me.  And I think it occaisonally gives me a slight headache mid-day.  All of these are extremely minor.  Unfortunately...no acid dreams!!  My occaisonal lymph node swelling has been less and less.  And I may be crazy, but my skin seems less blotchy!

Anyway, my main question is about the reccomendation to take it on an empty stomach.  I sometimes eat in the evening because I have a hell of a time eating breakfast in the morning.  So I've been trying not to eat too late.  I've been taking it at midnight.  My question is why?  Is the empty stomach reccomended to avoid side effects, or is it reccomended to make sure the Sustiva is dosed correctly?  The former I can play with, the later I'd rather not.

Also, alcohol.  My doc told me not to drink for a week.  But I have felt so normal that it didn't seem like a big deal to have one beer after working a long day.  Does this interfere with the meds?  Or just cause more side effects.  Is it bad to drink some with this combo?  I don't drink alot these days.  But I do enjoy a beer or two a few nights a week.

I also quit smoking when I started the meds.  So I think most side effects were trumped by some nasty nicotine withdrawl.  Nonetheless, I've gone 5 days w/o smoking.  This surpasses my 4 day record many months ago.  I feel like I'm on the right path. I keep trying to run more and more to make sure I remember every night why it's nice to have clean lungs.

Thanks for your help and support.

brian

Offline Eldon

Re: 1st week of meds and a few questions.
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2006, 01:29:33 am »
Hello Brian, it is Eldon. It is good to hear that you are doing well with your new med regimen. Since I don't take the same regimen, I thought that this information would be helpful for you to read over: http://www.aidsmeds.com/drugs/Atripla.htm.

There are a few others on the forum that has started Atripla, and I am sure they will post their experiences in time to this thread.

In the interim; drink plenty of fluids, eat a healthy diet, exercise, and get plenty of rest.

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2006, 03:15:26 am »
The recommendation to take Atripla on an empty stomach is to reduce side-effects.  For many people food, esp. fatty food, an hour of two before the meds makes the dreams etc worse.  But some people, some lucky people, have no probs in this respect.  The drug will works whether or not you eat.

Alcohol: same reason.  Alcohol will not interfere with the way the meds work.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline bobik

• My worksite
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2006, 07:02:54 am »
Hi.

I used sustiva, which I understand is in your combi-pill.

I found out that with food the side effects were actually less serious, so I took it with chocolate pudding. Worked fine for me :)

Coen
Coen Honig at Facebook

Offline Christine

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2006, 10:00:34 am »
Hi Brian,
Good news about the meds, and congratulations on stopping smoking!
Christine
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline IzPoz

• God, grant me the serenity...
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2006, 10:37:53 am »
That's a lot for one person to accomplish in one week!  Stop smoking, stop drinking and a new med regime!!

I, personally, don't drink, smoke, or anything of the like for my own personal preferences to not mess with the medications. 

You have to remember, that every body (not people, bodies) is different, therefore the side effects may be mild in some, and not in others.

Good luck, and I hope you find a routine that better suits your needs :)

Maybe take the meds in the morning, or mid-day?  Or are you supposed to take it before going to bed?
The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly. ~ Chesterton G. K.

Offline ndrew

• ....-.-.-.-.-.....
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2006, 11:09:12 am »
Hey Brian  :)

I am glad the meds are treating you well!!  I am a few paces behind you on that path brother, so its good to hear these things.  Good work on the clean lungs!!

Kindest,
Andrew

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2006, 11:41:36 am »
Hi Ya Brian...

Glad to see all in all, things are moving along...   I am doing the Kaletra and you have the option of eating or not...  I have found a bowl of cereal and milk at night along with my meds works great.   The idea of dropping all 7 of these pills on an empty stomach seems like alot for my tummy..  I like the pills to have a nice soft landing when they hit the ground floor...  I would suggest just playing around with your diet and how you take your pills.   This is an ongoing playground for me knowing what I can eat and when.. 

Congrats on the smoking!  Thats alot to do all in one fell swoop!! 

Love

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2006, 01:58:09 pm »
Hello Brian,

The recommendation to take Atripla on an empty stomach, is because of the Sustiva, contained within it. Viread and Emtriva, can be taken with or without food. The medications effectiveness does not change with food intake.

As Matt stated it's the "Fatty content" food that can cause the problem with side effects from the Sustiva.,(Dreams) So, if you can avoid the fatty foods before bedtime,( A couple hours) you should be ok, and not have any side effects.

It's great that you quit smoking....Continued successs !!!

Take Care-------Ray
« Last Edit: August 26, 2006, 02:01:44 pm by J.R.E. »
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2006, 04:17:16 pm »
Hi Brian,

First -- congrats on quitting smoking.  It is without a doubt the hardest thing I ever did.  Keep it up!
I take Sustiva also -- when I asked my doc about the empty stomach thing, his response made alot of sense.  He said, "Taking it with food will increase the amount of drug in your system -- definitely not a bad thing, as far as the virus is concerned, however it can also increase side effects, so you have to figure out what that means to you."  I "experimented" and all that happened to me (everyone is different though) was increased dizziness and sleepiness about 2 hrs after taking it, if I had a high fat meal/snack.  Since I took it at bedtime -- no big deal.  This has actually worked out well for me.  I needed to add boosted Reyataz to my regimen, which has to be taken with food and I wanted to take all the meds together, so I now eat something every night when I take it.  I have to say -- I've never slept better!!
So, if you are going to experiment, just make sure you don't have to go anywhere -- but feel sure, with food or without food, you are getting enough drug in you to combat the virus.

Best of luck!

Offline otherplaces

• Mutant Super Hero
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2006, 10:53:24 pm »

Thanks everyone so much for your support and all the great information about sustiva and food.  I tried looking that stuff up with a few internet searches and got nowhere.  I knew the AM community would fill me in.  I'll have to experiment with how much I can eat and such before taking my med.  You say fatty foods mixed with the sustiva causes the acid dreams?  Well, I may have to try this! :D  I have pretty much just gone to bed after taking my pill.  I'll probably experiment with that too as I know I may be in a situation where that may not be an option one day.

Day six of no smoking is almost complete.  I definitely believe my energy level is up.  I imagine that's from the virus being suppressed and not smoking.  I'm going to go for a late night run!

Many thanks. You're all great!

much love,
brian

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.